Arsenal 22/23 - go to new thread

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Wait, what credentials do these people have over someone like Gary Neville?! I'm not saying ex professionals are always bastions of wisdom (Neville was very hot on Poch and not ten Hag - got it completely wrong), but it's weird to denigrate Neville because of an ill-fated stint at Valencia and then hold up some random internet nobodies.
He made a prediction though , that United will finish above Arsenal, and earlier that Arteta should quit if Arsenal get top 4 because that’s his ceiling. If he makes a prediction on national television in typical voice of the people style, and the prediction goes spectacularly wrong on all levels, he can’t hide behind “I played the game you haven’t” in the end he ll admit he was wrong and everyone will have a laugh and move on.

redcucumber

He made a prediction though , that United will finish above Arsenal, and earlier that Arteta should quit if Arsenal get top 4 because that’s his ceiling. If he makes a prediction on national television in typical voice of the people style, and the prediction goes spectacularly wrong on all levels, he can’t hide behind “I played the game you haven’t” in the end he ll admit he was wrong and everyone will have a laugh and move on.
It's a prediction. Is the expectation of pundits that they get every prediction bang on? They are there to add colour and have a conversation about football. Also, look at how you've performed under Arteta thus far. You've never finished in the top 4 despite the money spent. It wasn't exactly pie in the sky to predict you'd have another inconsistent season - isn't that exactly why Arsenal fans are still pretending they aren't favourites? Because to do as well as you have been doing was never considered likely?

We're 3rd at the moment. If it stays that way and Arsenal finish top, it's hardly a prediction that has gone wrong on all levels as you said. I can't see why you're trying to make a bigger a thing out of it than it is.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
It's a prediction. Is the expectation of pundits that they get every prediction bang on? They are there to add colour and have a conversation about football. Also, look at how you've performed under Arteta thus far. You've never finished in the top 4 despite the money spent. It wasn't exactly pie in the sky to predict you'd have another inconsistent season - isn't that exactly why Arsenal fans are still pretending they aren't favourites? Because to do as well as you have been doing was never considered likely?

We're 3rd at the moment. If it stays that way and Arsenal finish top, it's hardly a prediction that has gone wrong on all levels as you said. I can't see why you're trying to make a bigger a thing out of it than it is.
What he should’ve said is what you just did, all the points are valid.
instead even after Sunday’s game he predicted the top 4 and has us third. So he had the chance to revise his prediction and he didn’t, this is no longer a pre season prediction, to do a mid season prediction that has us third is plain ridiculous and he should be called out on it.
no issues with him predicting city to win it, it’s 50-50 at the moment or at best we just shade it as slight favourites.
The gap between us and you is bigger than the gap between you and Liverpool. If a pundit kept insisting Even now that Liverpool will finish above you you’ll think he clearly has something personal against your team and you’ll wallow in him getting it spectacularly wrong.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh I’m sure but no idea why.

All a bit daft. Nev regular sticks the boot in to United and is far from the most biased pundit around. If anything he often over compensates and is extra harsh towards United.

Here he’s nothing saying anything controversial.
Yep and United fans regularly lose their minds of over the stuff he says about United. It is indeed silly but at the same time also kinda normal.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Wait, what credentials do these people have over someone like Gary Neville?! I'm not saying ex professionals are always bastions of wisdom (Neville was very hot on Poch and not ten Hag - got it completely wrong), but it's weird to denigrate Neville because of an ill-fated stint at Valencia and then hold up some random internet nobodies.
I listened to Gary Neville's analysis for a while and I didn't learn much from him in terms of understanding the tactics or the game. His short spell in Valencia further prove he was not very good tactically. I personally learned more from those 2 sites. I am sure there are alot of these sites in the internet. YMMV. In the end whatever works for you.

redcucumber

I listened to Gary Neville's analysis for a while and I didn't learn much from him in terms of understanding the tactics or the game. His short spell in Valencia further prove he was not very good tactically. I personally learned more from those 2 sites. I am sure there are alot of these sites in the internet. YMMV. In the end whatever works for you.
How could you possibly know that you're learning anything of actual value? I don't have the time nor the inclination to read in depth breakdowns from randomers, but fair play to you if you do. The Athletic is enough for me. Out of interest I had a brief look into the background of one of the authors of that piece you shared and he looks about 16. Bit odd to me.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Neville...meh. Take everything with a grain of salt. Most pundits out there lack the tactical knowledge of a Klopp, Arteta, EtH, Pep etc.. These guys obsess about tactics.

They are nowhere near that level so it's a hard job in the first place. I listen to TH as a pundit but I can see why he struggles compared to the likes of Vieira or Arteta in managing roles.

UDontMessWith24

I have a feeling this ends up like the Kevin Keegan meltdown season when they had an 8 point lead on us, with City eventually catching them.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Flowery prose! You've certainly come a long way from the days you used to call other caf posters "gay" and "retarded"
I've seen you reference 2005 a few times now. Move on mate. We've been here more than half our adult lives now if you didn't notice.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Neville...meh. Take everything with a grain of salt. Most pundits out there lack the tactical knowledge of a Klopp, Arteta, EtH, Pep etc.. These guys obsess about tactics.

They are nowhere near that level so it's a hard job in the first place. I listen to TH as a pundit but I can see why he struggles compared to the likes of Vieira or Arteta in managing roles.
Forget Arteta, they had called Kevin Nolan on one of these shows, I was blown away by the depth of his insights and he's an Assistant Manager at Villa.
Most managers would run rings around pundits when it comes to tactics. Both Mourinho and Pep are on record praising Arteta when he was finishing 8th. They saw this coming.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Missed this earlier. Good news, hopefully Saka and Saliba next

TheReligion

Abusive
Awful performance. Very surprised Arteta mixed it up given all the first choice players got on the pitch anyway at different points and there’s over a week between this game and the next. Loser like mindset really (sorry).

Could be mentally damaging. Should want to win everything.

Djemba-Djemba

Shite game, neither side was very good.

Arsenal record vs City is absolutely appalling, 14 City wins in the last 15 matches.

They have to overcome this inferiority complex against City in the league games coming up.

TheReligion

Abusive
Shite game, neither side was very good.

Arsenal record vs City is absolutely appalling, 14 City wins in the last 15 matches.

They have to overcome this inferiority complex against City in the league games coming up.
Could it be Arteta being frightened of Pep? Or something psychological in it?

AshRK

I know Arsenal have a bigger fish to fry but expected them to show a bit more fight and push this out of form city a bit more. This win in grand scheme may mean nothing but it also could give city that confidence to get those 6 points from Arsenal.

Underwhelming match.

Djemba-Djemba

Could it be Arteta being frightened of Pep? Or something psychological in it?
Possibly, I noticed Arteta was much less obnoxious on the touchline tonight wearing his Pep style coat, but to be fair it even pre-dates Arteta as manager.

They've lost every game in the league to City since Guardiola took over. I know City have been a much better side than Arsenal for all of that but you'd think they'd have at least managed to scrap a few draws here and there.

They don't want to be losing both league games to City as well as being knocked out the cup by them, that's a big psychological boost for City if it happens.

Fridge chutney

It won't matter. They'll end up winning the league at a canter and they won't care about this match.

mu4c_20le

They clearly didnt take it seriously. Bastards are going all out for the league.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I don't think they have the depth for this and they know this, they rested 5 or 6 key players. It's pretty clear they are prioritising the league with the squad they have. They are highly dependant on their first XI, especially Partey staying fit.

When Leicester were knocked out of all the domestic cups in 15/16, I don't think they flinched once, they had their eyes on the big prize.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think they have the depth for this and they know this. It's pretty clear they are prioritising the league with the squad they have. They are highly dependant on their first XI, especially Partey staying fit.
They played last weekend before tonight and don’t play again until the next one.

Zero excuses. As @AshRK it was pretty spineless in the end when a good win could have been huge for them.

I know what Sir Alex would have demanded.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Fair play to City. They deserved it. Encouraging how tight it was when we rotated.

Ii guessing Neville and his likesakes will ask 'is this is a phycological advantage City now have over Arsenal', and the answer is no. This game will have no impact on the league fixtures at all. Its such a cliche and simple take that argument.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I know what Sir Alex would have demanded.
Well don't you think it's very unrealistic to compare a well oiled Sir Alex side that was winning title after title, to Arsenal who haven't won a title in 2 decades that don't have a strong enough squad? They clearly aren't there yet but they are in the right direction and by all accounts in the next few windows they'll have the squad to compete on all fronts.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well don't you think it's very unrealistic to compare a well oiled Sir Alex side that was winning title after title, to Arsenal who haven't won a title in 2 decades that don't have a strong enough squad?
Fabio and Rafael in midfield. Remember that?

Just so flat and drab. Flopped out with a wimper.

Djemba-Djemba

Fair play to City. They deserved it. Encouraging how tight it was when we rotated.

Ii guessing Neville and his likesakes will ask 'is this is a phycological advantage City now have over Arsenal', and the answer is no. This game will have no impact on the league fixtures at all. Its such a cliche and simple take that argument.
14 City wins in the last 15 City Arsenal matches must be a psychological advantage though.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Awful performance. Very surprised Arteta mixed it up given all the first choice players got on the pitch anyway at different points and there’s over a week between this game and the next. Loser like mindset really (sorry).

Really feels like you lot are trying to put down Arsenal at every opportunity.

instead of looking at it as a glass half empty - let’s see it as the glass half full. I can say with confidence that the majority of Arsenal fans will be pleased with the performance and the majority of city fans will be annoyed that they didn’t rattle us. We didn’t look scared and rather quite comfortable actually. This is great to know for the upcoming league games. Also happy that we didn’t get battered 5-0 like last season.

Hope we go and get a DM asap as Lokonga isn’t it and there’s too much reliance on Partey.

Inferiority complex and all this malarkey does not by apply, especially based on todays performance. Think the confidence is there.

looked more nervous against United last week personally. Today was a stretch of the legs for both teams.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
This won't scar us mentally FFS. If anything it will prove to the players that they are a lot closer to City than they were the last time at The Etihad.

The Emirates game will be a different game totally. There was no fear the last time we played them at The Emirates and they humped us 5-0 earlier in the season.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
They'll get beat home and away by City in the league.
Our odds to win the league have actually shortened after that match. Some people were expecting a 3 or 4 nil City romp. It never happened despite the rotation.

A fully strength team with high intensity to match, City are there to be beat, home and away

Djemba-Djemba

This won't scar us mentally FFS. If anything it will prove to the players that they are a lot closer to City than they were the last time at The Etihad.

The Emirates game will be a different game totally. There was no fear the last time we played them at The Emirates and they humped us 5-0 earlier in the season.
And what score was it ?

TheReligion

Abusive
Really feels like you lot are trying to put down Arsenal at every opportunity.

instead of looking at it as a glass half empty - let’s see it as the glass half full. I can say with confidence that the majority of Arsenal fans will be pleased with the performance and the majority of city fans will be annoyed that they didn’t rattle us. We didn’t look scared and rather quite comfortable actually. This is great to know for the upcoming league games. Also happy that we didn’t get battered 5-0 like last season.

Hope we go and get a DM asap as Lokonga isn’t it and there’s too much reliance on Partey.

Inferiority complex and all this malarkey dies by apply, especially based on todays performance. Think the confidence is there.
I just think everyone expected more and that performance was very poor. You have a week either side of this game and should have been pumped to win this and send a message (whilst positioning yourself nicely for a cup double).

You looked comfortable in losing a knock out cup game…

TheReligion

Abusive
Our odds to win the league have actually shortened after that match. Some people were expecting a 3 or 4 nil City romp. It never happened despite the rotation.

A fully strength team with high intensity to match, City are there to be beat, home and away
Everyone was expecting you to beat an out of form City team and send a message.

You failed.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Arsenal were awful. Did they even register a shot in the second half? Man City played that in 2nd gear.

Funny as they still had Gabriel, Partey, Xhaka, Saka, Tomiyasu and Nketiah on the pitch and ended it with Zincheko, Odegaard, Martinelli and Saliba on the pitch.

Bwuk

They'll lengthen after your beaten by City home and away.