Arsenal to wear all-white jerseys in 'No More Red' campaign against youth violence

the_cliff

Good idea if it wasn't Arsenal, I swear these guys release the most kits, training kits, tracksuits, hoodies, jumpers. They've basically become a fashion outlet.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It sounds like a good gesture but will this actually make a difference to violence among young people which is caused by plethora of issues such as gangs, poverty, inequality, lack of access to opportunities.

Zlatattack

It sounds like a good gesture but will this actually make a difference to violence among young people which is caused by plethora of issues such as gangs, poverty, inequality, lack of access to opportunities.
It'll raise the issue in the public eye for about 5 minutes. Unfortunately that's about it nowadays.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Poor Ty is going to have to look like a very confused Klan member for a week.

MUFC OK

I see that these won't be commercially available, but surely it would be better to sell them and donate 100% to a relevant charity? Otherwise it's just PR.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I see that these won't be commercially available, but surely it would be better to sell them and donate 100% to a relevant charity? Otherwise it's just PR.
Or they have in turn have to deal with the negative PR of releasing another shirt like some have already wrongly jumped to the conclusion to.

MUFC OK

Or they have in turn have to deal with the negative PR of releasing another shirt like some have already wrongly jumped to the conclusion to.
Would be different if 100% profits went to charity - how would that be negative PR?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Not a jot. Great bit of PR for Arsenal Football Club though.
We have you so rattled this season :lol:

Takes less than 2 minutes to Google to see what Arsenal and Adidas are doing to help youngsters with this campaign

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Takes less than 2 minutes to Google to see what Arsenal and Adidas are doing to help youngsters with this campaign
Are you happy to be wearing a Spurs replica kit for a game?? :lol:

Dan_F

Good idea if it wasn't Arsenal, I swear these guys release the most kits, training kits, tracksuits, hoodies, jumpers. They've basically become a fashion outlet.
Didn’t we just release a new training top for the second half of the season? Let’s not pretend United are any better.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I’m sure Arsenal and Adidas could do even more to help youngsters without the ostentatious need to a) tell everyone about it and b) wear a white shirt for one match.

Kids are killing each other! We need to raise awareness! That will stop them! We could wear a white shirt! So many lives saved…

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I’m sure Arsenal and Adidas could do even more to help youngsters without the ostentatious need to a) tell everyone about it and b) wear a white shirt for one match.

Kids are killing each other! We need to raise awareness! That will stop them! We could wear a white shirt! So many lives saved…
Just do a bit of research mate.

From Ian Wrights Blog.

adidas and Arsenal have been in partnership for a while. One joint initiative that they have been working on is ‘No More Red’. Together, adidas and Arsenal will support young people by helping to address some of the root causes of violent youth crime in London. This initiative builds on the fantastic work of Arsenal in the Community has been delivering for more than 35 years.

PEOPLE NEED TO SEE THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN
Part of No More Red will see adidas and Arsenal identifying safe spaces in need of investment and redeveloping them so that young people have somewhere to call their own. It feels like in my time we had more safe places than young people have now. I remember our youth centres and halls that we could go to after school and on weekends. Another part of the initiative will be recognising the lack of this opportunity and working with young people in local communities across London. The aim is to ensure that young people can be spotlighted and celebrated with the hope that their skills and passions can pave a way for them.

People need to see that it is possible to make something happen. Therefore, mentorships will be provided so that young people can have positive role models to look up to and speak to. I’ve seen first-hand how these programmes improve the lives of our youth.

People like Khush. This girl is passionate about music, and through the No More Red initiative adidas and Arsenal have given her the opportunity to record her very first radio show – a two-hour slot on Soho radio. adidas introduced her to Emerald Rose Lewis, and the Rinse FM DJ gave Khush tips and advice, and even appeared on her show. A mind-blowing experience for her.

There’s also Verona – a fantastic young artist who used the Arsenal in the Community Hub as a safe space to go and play football after school. It was through the community hub that she was introduced to art, and through No More Red, adidas put her together with a fantastic artist, Reuben Dangoor.

Reuben has shot to fame, using social media as a platform to showcase himself and his art and he spent some time with Verona, giving her advice on how to move forward with her career. Following this, the project then commissioned Verona to create a piece of art that will appear on the programme cover of an upcoming Arsenal game at the Emirates.

There are countless more examples of young people doing great things. The No More Red initiative aims to recognise these young people with an exclusive not-for-sale white shirt.

The shirt will also be given to great charities and organisations as recognition for the fantastic work to support young people. It’s an ongoing and long-lasting project.

Youth violence is a massive issue. This initiative will not solve it, but it is important that something is done. That’s why for me, I don’t want to only use my voice, but dedicate my time and efforts to help where I can. The initiative will empower people who will then go on and empower their local communities. The hope is that positive inspiration can be spread.

I know just how important having a safe space and access to role models is. Many think that football gave me a nice career, but the truth is, football and the people around me saved my life. I can’t tell you where I would be without opportunity and inspiration. That is why I am proud to play a small part in this powerful initiative.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

When did symbolism become a bad thing? If it's the only thing you do, sure (although even then something is better than nothing, especially with Arsenal's level of exposure). But if it's part of a larger campaign that you're drawing attention to (as indeed is the case here) - then where is the downside?

Nick7

Does it matter? it's a good gesture, leave it at that.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I suppose Arsenal wearing this shirt prompted this thread, which prompted the question of what else they're doing, which prompted GoonerBear's link to Ian Wright's blog. Football clubs engaging with the local community is what we want in the end, even if they're doing it for publicity. Hopefully the awareness raised encourages others to get involved with the initiative, sounds like a good one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
When did symbolism become a bad thing? If it's the only thing you do, sure (although even then something is better than nothing, especially with Arsenal's level of exposure). But if it's part of a larger campaign that you're drawing attention to (as indeed is the case here) - then where is the downside?
There’s no downside but massive corporations indulging in a few highly publicised CSR initiatives to buff up their image is never not cringey.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There’s no downside but massive corporations indulging in a few highly publicised CSR initiatives to buff up their image is never not cringey.
In principle, I agree; there are few large companies that genuinely care about a subject. I take it as a good sign if they get on the bandwagon though (like climate change), cause I see it both as a sign that public opinion is swining towards a position where this attitude becomes required, plus every nod to a subject does help anchor it further in public opinion.

Of course, you can argue about the message (a company could promote a solution that's not a proper long-term fix). And there's also the variant where companies e.g. pretend to be 'green' through some slogan while doing nothing about their emissions, which is genuinely bad. That's not the sort of thing I'm talking about, but I think it also doesn't apply to Arsenal here.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

That's an incredibly cynical view

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Agree with @Mogget @Cheimoon and @Nick7

Really shocked at the shitty, dismissive, negative attitudes of some in here.

ANYTHING that raises awareness and shows care toward the culture of murder that has washed through the youth culture is a good thing.

People commenting snarky remarks how it ‘won’t make any difference’ etc while sat on their fecking anuses on a footy forum are the same cnuts in that thread complaining about ‘modern players being unlikeable’!

Maybe Arsenal, at a grass roots level, just actually CARE about what’s happening in their community. Maybe the young Arsenal players care.

And I’m sure any member of society that has been affected by it will think it’s an important thing to do and welcome the acknowledgment.

And that ‘affected’ might ‘just’ be raising kids amongst the fear of teen murders, or being a young lad and having to avoid ANY type of confrontation like a fist fight etc (something other generations could do) because it can so easily now equal murder.

Of course Arsenal can’t cure teenage murder - THEY’RE A FOOTBALL CLUB FFS. But they should be commended for being connected to the community and doing something to raise awareness of an issue that is plaguing the working class youth in Britain right now.

If all you’ve got to offer is snarky remarks and shitty takes on the topic of young people being killed and injured on the streets of Britain, for goodness sake, just shut the feck up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Raising awareness that it's happening is one thing, but it won't ever stop until poverty and drug/gang warfare is eliminated. The 2 go hand in hand.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Some of the replies on here are mad. It's like you're looking down and trying to find fault in it purely because it's Arsenal, and at the same time you haven't even googled the subject or the stuff happening behind the scenes.

predator

Youth NITK
I think it's a great idea.

At the end of the day changing a kit for one game is not a big deal however if it does actually raise awareness and ultimately reduce youth violence then its so worth it.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, Arsenal has received the maximum number of red cards since Arteta became manager.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I think it's a great idea.

At the end of the day changing a kit for one game is not a big deal however if it does actually raise awareness and ultimately reduce youth violence then its so worth it.
Have a look at the spoiler I posted before. Arsenal with help from Adidas are doing a lot more in the community than changing a kit.

Last edited:

predator

Youth NITK
Have a look at the spoiler I posted before. Arsenal with help from Adidas are doing a lot more in the community than changing a kit.

Sorry my post wasn't worded correctly and sounded like I was saying arsenal aren't doing enough - I'm sure they are doing more behind the scenes. My point was that changing a shirt is nothing so why are some people up in arms about it, especially when it could produce great results.

georgipep

"The one-off kits will not be sold, but those worn by the starting 10 outfield players in Sunday's match will be released as gifts to community organisations working to tackle the causes of youth violence."

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Because wearing white shirts will help the youth out, not strong policy...