Insanity

Most apt username 2015
    My team:

De Gea
    Valencia Smalling McNair Shaw/James
    Carrick Herrera
    Januzaj Rooney Di Maria
    Van Persie
    I would be disappointed if Blackett gets a go ahead in front of McNair just becase of his dominant foot. For me the quality of the defender should always get a preference. No, 4141, slow nonsense either. A proper 4231 should be our best bet.

What I expect:

De Gea
    Valencia Smalling Blackett Shaw
    Carrick
    Januzaj Fellaini Rooney Di Maria
    Van Persie
    Fellaini to see a red for his incessant fouling, or elbowing one of Arsenal's midgets.

anidea

The optimism here is commendable. I just don't see how a backline missing Rafael and Shaw, a mid without our most consistent and reliable holding mid this season - Blind, and a predictable approach from an otherwise potent attacking unit can get us a win here. For the first time, I saw arsenal go all in (i mean physically as well) against chelsea though they couldn't pull a result. It will be difficult for us to plug it against just the pace of sanchez-ramsey-cazorla-ox-walcott-welbeck esp with our backline.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us lose by a 1 or 2 goal margin. A draw here atm will be a good point. I will be very happy with a point considering it a work in progress and put United as a nailed on top 4 if we manage a victory here. But, frankly, I see us dropping all 3 and getting arsenal on a winning run of their own.

Suhail

Arsenal are gonna turn us over with ease, this isn't just bad luck, looks like a curse :(

Paul_Scholes18

will be difficult. We will play with no real balance for sure. Herrera must play and Persie be dropped for me to believe in us. Will not happen though. We will struggle going forward and with this back four Welbeck will punish us for sure you just know it.

Loublaze

ATLien
    will be difficult. We will play with no real balance for sure. Herrera must play and Persie be dropped for me to believe in us. Will not happen though. We will struggle going forward and with this back four Welbeck will punish us for sure you just know it.
    Our defence will do just fine. Welbeck himself said Smalling was the toughest player he faced in training.

Mali_Zeus

Top players? he played 4 games and against all easy opponents .. just man city (the only side with top players) .. can't say he is guilty for the goal of Aguero but for sure he was not on the right place.

I would put him in the first XI next 10 games, the kid offers lot of potential no doubt, I like him more than Smalling and Evans but against a really quick side like Arsenal, lot of transition, movement without ball .. i'm pessimistic.
    I dont take Arsenal as a quick side tbh, and instead of McNair only Carrick can play in the defense, who will then play instead of Carrick in midfield. Not to mention Carrick isnt that fast too.

Roosney

He was excellent against West ham when our captain got himself sent off. Then he dealt with Lukaku well i thought against Everton. Then dealt well in a pretty impossible situation of playing in a 10 man team CB alongside Carrick at the Ethiad.
    Obviously its far from ideal but compare those performances to say Phil Jones v West Brom.
    Agreed. Either McNair is a really good defender or he's been lucky a bit but I'm all for it that he starts on Sat.

Adcuth

How's about this:

Carrick if he plays to add the experience at the back, Smalling can play right back and would have Valencia to help double up on the wing (both have pace).

Fellaini to sit and try and break up play, also would have Di Maria and Valencia to track back when needed to add the pace that Fellaini lacks.

Herrera can play No10 and could link with Rooney allowing RVP to be the main goal threat when receiving passes from the two behind. With two quick players on the left and right of the diamond we could break at speed on the counter at Arsenal's frail defence, the same two would be able to get back quickly to provide numbers to protect our own issues at the back.

Obviously change Shaw for Blackett/James if he doesn't make it.

Deleted member 78215

Valencia - Smalling - McNair - Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera - Fellaini
    Mata - Di Maria
    Rooney
    Herrera to support Valencia during defensive phases.

What we'll probably see:

Carrick
    Januzaj - Fellaini - Rooney - Di Maria
    RVP

allen!7

what all people saying here is a diamond formation which van gaal decided not to take(he said in previous post match interviews). Realistically he will land a defensive minded 4141. Something like this below.

Carrick
    Januzaj - Fellaini - Rooney - Di Maria
    RVP

My approach would be
    Playing Di maria in the middle will kill arsenal. But highly unlikely since fellaini cant keep up on arsenal counter attacks.
    Carrick-Fellaini
    Herrera-Rooney-Di Maria
    RVP

Bwuk

Assuming Arsenals back line will consist of Chambers, Monreal, Mertesacker and Gibbs, I'm feeling strangely confident.

Get AdM running at them. Valencia stretching out on the right.

David de Gea
    Herrera - Carrick - Fellaini
    Di Maria
    Rooney - Van Persie​

Smores

Will be interesting to see how we set up.

Hoping to see a Carrick/Herrera/Di Maria midfield with Rvp up top and Mata/Rooney wide.

We're 100% going to concede so we need to make sure we set out to attack

Ole Gunner Scholes

Arsenal are gonna turn us over with ease, this isn't just bad luck, looks like a curse :(
    Not really, they have their own injury worries to take care of. Have heard that Wenger said Walcott won't be available & Welbeck too is doubtful for the game tomorrow. So, it's Sanchez we might need to take care of while we still have game changers in our team going forward.

Empire

--------------------De Gea

-------
    Mc Nair----Smalling----Blackett
    --------------------Carrick
    ----------Herrera----------di Maria
    --------------------Rooney
    Valencia-------------------------------Januzaj
    ----------------------RVP

It's a 5-4-1 in defence and a 3-6-1 in offence, Carrick is sitting and holding therefore in defence we have four players back giving Valencia and Adnan a lot of freedom to attack down the flanks, in the centre we still have our diamond except now RVP is up top on his ones.

Jonboy

------------------de Gea-----------------
    Valencia---Smalling---Carrick---Shaw
    -------Fellaini---Rooney---Herrera-----
    Januzaj---------------------------Di Maria
    ---------------van Persie----------------

Thats what I think we'll see. Rooney floating about in front of Fellaini and Herrera but playing a lot deeper when we don't have the ball.

Bwuk

--------------------De Gea

-------
    Mc Nair----Smalling----Blackett
    --------------------Carrick
    ----------Herrera----------di Maria
    --------------------Rooney
    Valencia-------------------------------Januzaj
    ----------------------RVP

It's a 5-4-1 in defence and a 3-6-1 in offence, Carrick is sitting and holding therefore in defence we have four players back giving Valencia and Adnan a lot of freedom to attack down the flanks, in the centre we still have our diamond except now RVP is up top on his ones.
    Isn't this Bayern Munich?

NJM78

------------De Gea

Valencia Smalling Blackett Shaw

--------Carrick Fellaini

-----Rooney Mata Di Maria

----------van Persie

2-2

Zoo

Rooney is in good goalscoring form and needs to be playing further forward and closer to Van Persie. Mertesacker is going through a post-WC slump and Monreal is a shite LB filling in at CB, we should be targeting them and aiming to win this.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    ------------------de Gea-----------------
    Valencia---Smalling---Carrick---Shaw
    -------Fellaini---Rooney---Herrera-----
    Januzaj---------------------------Di Maria
    ---------------van Persie----------------

Thats what I think we'll see. Rooney floating about in front of Fellaini and Herrera but playing a lot deeper when we don't have the ball.
    I'd have Mata rather than Januzaj. Especially with his record against Arsenal.

Roboc7

With our makeshift back 4 I can’t see anything other than a win for Arsenal, their big weakness is a lack of pace in the centre of their defence but we don’t really have the players to exploit that and I think the way we play will suit them.

I don’t see RVP getting dropped or us changing formation but Rooney should play up front with Herrera coming into the midfield, would leave Mata on the bench as he will leave us too exposed if he plays wide. If Rooney and RVP both play then I think we would need to switch to 4-3-2-1 with Rooney and Di Maria playing in behind RVP and Herrera, Fellaini and Carrick (if fit) in midfield.

Gerald G

De Gea
    Valencia--Smalling--McNair--Shaw
    Carrick--Herrera
    Januzaj--Rooney--Di Maria
    van Persie

soapythecat

The problem with playing with a weak back 4 is that LVG will play it very tight. I can see Arsenal really pushing hard early on and, if they get an early goal, could score 3 or so. With all the attacking talent available, we haven't been scoring lots and I doubt tomorrow will be any different.
    I put 2-1 in the predictor but with Rafael out and Shaw looking doubtful, I'm going 3-1.
    We need players back and fast - how long have we been saying that?

Ole Gunner Scholes

We need players back and fast - how long have we been saying that?
    For eternity it feels :nervous:

Having said that, it's not as grim as you have predicted above in your post. Arsenal have got their own injury woes & we have enough players to win the game if we play well to our potential.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Is this game being played on an Egyptian cotton quilt and duvet with the players wearing slippers, kicking a flyaway ball...

MUFCgal

----------------De Gea--------------
    Valencia---Smalling---McNair----Shaw
    ----------------Carrick--------------
    ----------Herrera-----Di Maria-------
    -----------------Mata---------------
    ----------Rooney----Van Persie------

Trizy

So Welbz is doubtful for the game due to a hamstring injury.

Sanogo? :lol:
    Actually forgot about that, he looked to have done even more damage on a pace fueled close down in the dying moments of the Scottland game, would be 70% sure he won't start!

RedDevil-85

I think we can win it,im feeling quite confident really.
    We can hurt them with counter attacks,Di Maria will cause them problems and Rooney is high on confidence after 3 goals in 2 games for England.His goal stat vs Arsenal is quite good too if i remember correctly.
    RVP (if he starts) will be fired up for this one.

The only player i fear from Arsenal is Sanchez.He can win them the game on his own if he continue with his fine form.
    He must be stopped.

I just hope LVG get the team selection and formation right.
    And no silly red card this time please!

soapythecat

For eternity it feels :nervous:

Having said that, it's not as grim as you have predicted above in your post. Arsenal have got their own injury woes & we have enough players to win the game if we play well to our potential.
    Well I hope you are right. I'm feeling a little more optimistic after seeing potential Arsenal injuries. If we lose, come Sunday we could be sat at 13th in the table.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 81% of 839 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 543 ratings.

Score Predictions