Not open for further replies.

paulscholes18

DDG
    Valencia Smalling Jones Darmian
    Carrick
    Herrera Pogba
    Lingard Rooney Martial

Infra-red

What if City or Liverpool feck up before we play?

They may well do, but tonight's result has left the Europa tie open which means resting players for both the Arsenal and Spurs away games is now unavoidable. Our last remaining chance of battling for a top 4 place depended on us effectively ending the tie tonight, thereby allowing Mourinho to go full-strength in both London away games. That's now gone. We have to rest our best players in preparation for the Europa League. I'd go with something like:

De Gea
    Tuanzebe Smalling Jones
    Darmian Herrera Carrick Blind
    Lingard Rooney Mata

Unfortunately the injuries to Shaw and now Young will mean Darmian and Blind will likely have to play both Celta legs and Arsenal away and the Fellaini suspension/TFM injury means Herrera will probably have to do the same. That is unless Mourinho promotes a raft of U23 players for the Arsenal game, which is possible (you'd think Willock and McTominay might be in with a chance of featuring).

shaky

Mourinho has already said we would be forced to rest ALL players against Crystal Palace (Sunday game) if we make it into EL final, which is the following Wednesday. So if City or Liverpool feck up, we would need to beat Arsenal away, Southampton away, and then beat CP with kids and Rooney to at least have at least the hope of making fourth.

Even though we can still mathematically make fourth, EL looks to be our only REALISTIC chance for UCL football.
    If City or Liverpool slip up before the last game and we win our next 3, I'd expect Jose to go full strength against Palace, knowing that a win would guarantee us top 4.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
    Rest Rashford, Valencia and ideally Bailly and Pogba, but I can't see that happening.

Ideally:

De Gea

Darmian Tuanzebe Smalling Blind

Carrick McTominlay
    Mata

Mkhitaryan Rooney Martial​

Realistically:

De Gea

Darmian Bailly Smalling Blind

Carrick Pogba
    Mata

Lingard Rooney Martial​

manunited1919

They may well do, but tonight's result has left the Europa tie open which means resting players for both the Arsenal and Spurs away games is now unavoidable. Our last remaining chance of battling for a top 4 place depended on us effectively ending the tie tonight, thereby allowing Mourinho to go full-strength in both London away games. That's now gone. We have to rest our best players in preparation for the Europa League. I'd go with something like:

De Gea
    Tuanzebe Smalling Jones
    Darmian Herrera Carrick Blind
    Lingard Rooney Mata

Unfortunately the injuries to Shaw and now Young will mean Darmian and Blind will likely have to play both Celta legs and Arsenal away and the Fellaini suspension/TFM injury means Herrera will probably have to do the same. That is unless Mourinho promotes a raft of U23 players for the Arsenal game, which is possible (you'd think Willock and McTominay might be in with a chance of featuring).
    We need to rest Darmian, Blind, Herrera, Valencia, Pogba. So yes, I expect to see Mourinho promote some U23s. He already said before the match he might have to do it. And now, after the match he answers "I have to", I think he is referring to Arsenal match.

Member 90887

FYI, Jose said in the interview after the Celta game that he'll rest players (in the Arsenal game) for the second leg of the semi-final.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
    Scout
    Of course we want a good showing and a win as it's a rival near the top and the CL places aren't over just yet (despite our best efforts to blow them), but in reality Celta at home has to be our priority now. Rest whoever needs to be rested and play whoever needs game time.

manunited1919

If City or Liverpool slip up before the last game and we win our next 3, I'd expect Jose to go full strength against Palace, knowing that a win would guarantee us top 4.
    You haven't been paying attention to what Jose says. In his post match interview he already says "I have to" when asked if he will play a very different side. He is referring to the Arsenal match, surely.

There is no trophy for 4th place.

DatGuyRich

Rooney :houllier::houllier::houllier:. He should not be in the starting XI until the Palace game.

Jose has NEVER lost to Wenger in the PL. I don't want us to rest too much players in this game, feel like the City/Palace game will decide how we take this game.

Natener

It's Arsenal. If we have all our best players available, we will probably get a draw. But with all the injuries and EL 2nd leg coming up, our weakened team will probably steal a win. Afterall, it's Arsenal.

Infra-red

You haven't been paying attention to what Jose says. In his post match interview he already says "I have to" when asked if he will play a very different side. He is referring to the Arsenal match, surely.

Indeed. It's over, well done Liverpool and City. Europa or nothing for us now.

Infra-red

Rooney :houllier::houllier::houllier:. He should not be in the starting XI until the Palace game.

Jose has NEVER lost to Wenger in the PL. I don't want us to rest too much players in this game, feel like the City/Palace game will decide how we take this game.
    We'll likely look to grind out a terrible draw. Rooney will start.

manunited1919

I don't want to see Rooney in the starting XI either. Ever again. But I fully expect him to start and would place a bet he starts against Arsenal.

Ban

Rest whoever needs a rest, slap the silly and win.

I'd take a draw, but it's Arsenal, we need to take advantage of the fact their confidence is rock bottom right now.

cyberman

Rooney, Martial and Lingard front 3.
    Mata in behind with Carrick and Herrera holding.

Gerald G

De Gea
    Tuanzebe--Jones--Smalling--Darmian
    Willock--Carrick--Pogba
    Mata--Martial--Rooney

subs: Romero, Valencia, Blind, Herrera, Lingard, Mkhitaryan, (someone not Rashford or Bailly)

or rest Pogba and put Rooney in midfield and Lingard on the left.​

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
    This match isn't a priority anymore, but I do bloody hate arsenal and would love to beat them!

shaky

There is not a remote chance that he would play a weakened team in the final game against Palace if victory guaranteed us top 4. Even if the Europa final was coming up.

el3mel

Valencia needs rest and Young absent. We have no LB other than Darmian so the only logical way is 3-5-2

De Gea
    Bailly - Blind - Smalling
    Mikhi - Carrick - Pogba - Herrera - Darmian
    Mata
    Martial​

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
    I don't give two shits about the league anymore, EL is where it is at.

That being said it would be heartbreaking to see those Arse supporting scrotes having something to celebrate so I hope we go for a sly 3-5-2 counter setup.

Too bad Young is out for this since he would have been great for that formation and rotation.

MullerUtd

I couldn't care less about this game anymore even though its Arsenal but ideally, I would still like to keep our unbeaten run going till the end of the season and Jose has NEVER lost to Wenger in the league before, and I would like him to keep this record. I don't think Jose could ever stomach a loss to Wenger, it would most likely be a draw. Anyway EL is all that matters now, we should rest our best players for the EL. As long as we don't lose to Celta next week, we have one hand on the trophy.

manunited1919

There is not a remote chance that he would play a weakened team in the final game against Palace if victory guaranteed us top 4. Even if the Europa final was coming up.
    I just think EL is now priority, and I expect weakened team against Arsenal this weekend for starters. Fourth place is no longer in our hands.

shaky

I just think EL is now priority, and I expect weakened team against Arsenal this weekend for starters. Fourth place is no longer in our hands.
    Obviously, I was just meaning in the unlikely circumstances that it was back in our hands come the final game.

manunited1919

Valencia needs rest and Young absent. We have no LB other than Darmian so the only logical way is 3-5-2

De Gea
    Bailly - Blind - Smalling
    Mikhi - Carrick - Pogba - Herrera - Darmian
    Mata
    Martial​
    Bailly, Blind, Pogba, Herrera, Mikhi all need to be sharp next Thursday and should be rested too. We will have to bring some U23s, Jose will love to set them up to frustrate Wenger and hit them on the counter.

pseudo_canadian

Even with our congested schedule and focus on Europa I'm feeling like this is a pretty winnable match.

Arsenal are absolute dogshit and there for the taking, even if we play a weakened side.

el3mel

Bailly, Blind, Pogba, Herrera, Mikhi all need to be sharp next Thursday and should be rested too. We will have to bring some U23s, Jose will love to set them up to frustrate Wenger and hit them on the counter.
    You know I changer my opinion and was going to change the formation before your post. I'll rest Bailly and play Jones for him, agree. We can't rest Blind as we have no other choices.

Pogba shouldn't start on next Thursday as a next yellow card and he's out of the final and it'll be a disaster so I'll play him against Arsenal. Mikhi could go on the bench on Thursday,too as Mata can take his place and he's fresh.

The problem is in Herrera and Blind.

van der star

newprawn warrior
    Scout
    I reckon we could nick a draw against these numpties even with a second string team, purely due to whatever tactics Jose employs on the day. I expect us to perform like we did against City a few days ago.

manunited1919

You know I changer my opinion and was going to change the formation before your post. I'll rest Bailly and play Jones for him, agree. We can't rest Blind as we have no other choices.

Pogba shouldn't start on next Thursday as a next yellow card and he's out of the final and it'll be a disaster so I'll play him against Arsenal. Mikhi could go on the bench on Thursday,too as Mata can take his place and he's fresh.

The problem is in Herrera and Blind.
    I read on the post game thread that the rule is 3 yellos for one suspension. So even if he gets a yellow next Thursday, Pogba would be available for the final, assuming we make it.

el3mel

I read on the post game thread that the rule is 3 yellos for one suspension. So even if he gets a yellow next Thursday, Pogba would be available for the final, assuming we make it.
    If that's true it'll be great !

We can rest him then and start one of the U23 players, or go with a 3-4-3 and put Lingard instead of him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
    What U23s could play for me? I'm out of the loop this season when it comes to our U21 side.

NoPace

I think we'll see something like this:

----------------Martial---------------------
    Willock/Mctominay---------------Mata---
    -----------Rooney-Herrera/Pogba---------
    -----------------Carrick--------------------
    Darmian-Blind/Bailly-Smalling-Tuanzebe

with the italicized choices coming down to whoever is healthy enough that Mourinho thinks their performance against Vigo won't be diminished by playing on Sunday, and who he rates to do the job among the youth.

My guess would be Pogba over Herrera, as he's younger and stronger. Jones could also play in defense or midfield. Wouldn't shock me to see Jones and Carrick in front of the D and we go for a horrific 1-0 win as Arsenal pile forward badly needing all 3 points. That way Pogba and Herrera can both be rested and if we're defending all game anyways....

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Are you all "okay" with losing our unbeaten run?
    I quite like beating unbeatable.

Cloud7

There's no way Jose will let Wenger get a result here, even if we park the oil tanker from the first minute, we won't lose this. We'll either catch them on the break as has happened so much in the past, or grind out a 0-0. My money's on the second outcome.

That being said, there's no reason why we can't beat Arsenal even with a weakened team. They're horrible this season.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 417 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw