Kick-off
Sun, 3 September 2023 @ 4:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JuriM

Hojlund will start on the bench. People need to temper expectations of him.
    I fear we will be comprehensively beaten. We just don’t look at it currently.
    We legit tore Forest apart and only conceded on individual errors. We were much better than we have been so far and we were decent vs Spurs already.

Todd

Onana

AWB
    Varane
    Martinez
    Dalot

Casemiro
    McSauce

Antony
    Bruno
    Rashford

Martial

I expect we'll be soundly defeated in this.

r0663664

Worships Man City
    I wish ETH dare to make changes to the starting XI else our midfield will be overrun be Arsenal. Eriksen and McTominay is not an answer, we need. Amrabat might be perfect for this match else we have nobody to track the runs by arsenal MF. Our squad is really bad, I can't think of anyone that can be plug into MF.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
    At the same time its clear we're playing nowhere near capacity level, and neither is Arse at the moment. The only thing I continue saying is that we seem to lack some proper cnts on our team. Bruno has that factor, Onana finally brings some attitude to the goal, and of course Martinez has it.

Overall though we don't have a cnt on the sideline (but I wouldn't swap you for anyone my dear Erik) and our team cracks too easily sometimes. Its almost funny when you consider that Varane, Case and heck even Weghorst suddenly turn into model citizens on the pitch when they came to United. Don't get me wrong, part of me thinks that says something good about the club but we need every bit of bite we can get. It's not gonna come from the likes of Sancho or Martial unfortunately. That's also why I am with the few people who want McT to stay. That fighting spirit he shows as well - is in short supply in recent years. Based on what I've seen of Hojlund he'll bring some of that factor back up front as well.

OrcaFat

I wish ETH dare to make changes to the starting XI else our midfield will be overrun be Arsenal. Eriksen and McTominay is not an answer, we need. Amrabat might be perfect for this match else we have nobody to track the runs by arsenal MF. Our squad is really bad, I can't think of anyone that can be plug into MF.
    Yeah it could be messy.

garelo

considered us lucky if we only take 3-0 beating from emirates

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
    Onana

AWB
    Varane
    Martinez
    Dalot

Casemiro
    McSauce

Antony
    Bruno
    Rashford

Martial

I expect we'll be soundly defeated in this.
    With Martial and McT, no doubt. Rashy will play upfront but we might play an extra CM

suheilsworld

On current form, Arsenal are not that ahead of us. They are definitely leaky at the back and still not 100% clicked in attack. Yes, they are ahead of us, but not the way some of you guys have pointed it out. If we end up taking our chances (which we will have many), this can be quite an open game. We might lose but by that odd one goal. Can be 2-1, 3-2 for either teams

Zico1982

Casemiro-Eriksen-Bruno in midfield. We need to create to win. Playing McT and Casemiro together is reactive, trying to minimize the damage. We are United, dammit. Arsenal is a top team and we might lose, but we are not going to North London to try and squeeze out a desperate 0-0. My United always want three points, no matter the opposition.

RedorDead21

Might be an unpopular opinion, but based on form I wouldn’t mind if Lindelöf got a start.

Hard to bench one of Martinez/Varane though and wouldn’t complain if both of them play.
    Martinez would be a competent midfielder if Pep had him young enough. Sure he could drop in to partner Case….

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Think we will get battered there.

We are not looking good in our defensive transitions and Arsenal are quite good in their offensive ones.

Ten Hag will probably use Rashford as a 9 meaning that we will play with 10 mens so it will be absolutely difficult managing the intensity they put.

Dalot vs Saka will be terrible to watch with Garnacho probably not helping him also.

Over the past 10 years, we have been poor, but going to the Emirates has never felt going to Anfield for us (when we are usually poor and sloppy) but it looks for Sunday.

What I would like, strenghening the midfield, having Hojlund from the start then after 50min changing him with the zouker des Ulis aka Martial and keeping Rashford on the left.

-------------------------------------------------------Onana-----------------------------------------------------------
    Wan Bissaka----------------------Varane-------------Lisandro------------------------------------Dalot
    -----------------------------------------Casemiro----------Mc Tominay---------------------------------------
    Bruno--------------------------------------------Eriksen---------------------------------------------Rashford
    -----------------------------------------------------Hojlund-----------------------------------------------------------

ShinjiNinja26

I was dreading this game but after seeing their performance against Fulham at the weekend I’m slightly more optimistic. If they persist with shoehorning Havertz in and still have Partey at RB then I think we could get something here but we have to tighten up big time and start finishing our dinner. Hopefully see Højlund at some point in the second half as well.

Steve 007

Saka vs Dalot worries me, I hope we see Varane back and if Casimeiro takes confidence from his goal and plays like we know he can well have a chance.
    Arsenal aren’t the team people think.

I think if Hojilund is fit he must play. It’s not because I expect him to score it’s because Martial isn’t interested. I hope martial makes me eat my words but I doubt he will. I expect less than double figures from him.

Fingeredmouse

Saka vs Dalot worries me, I hope we see Varane back and if Casimeiro takes confidence from his goal and plays like we know he can well have a chance.

I think if Hojilund is fit he must play. It’s not because I expect him to score it’s because Martial isn’t interested. I hope martial makes me eat my words but I doubt he will. I expect less than double figures from him.
    Less than double figure appearances I assume?

TheGame

Considering they play with inverted full backs, we need to be strong in the midfield and use our pace out wide to exploit them. Personally would play Sancho in the false 9 with Rashford and Anthony out wide and ensure the midfield stays compact with the pressing in their half done by the front 3.

PoTMS

We need to get a midfielder in for this one otherwise we're getting hammered.

Walters_19_MuFc

ten Hag needs to make us harder to beat away from home. He's identified this, but I didn't really see that he did that when we played Spurs. We were still got at easily and no doubt the same will happen against Arsenal with the same kind of set up.

I would personally go with:

Onana
    Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Martinez Dalot
    Eriksen Casemiro McTominay
    Bruno Martial Rashford

Walters_19_MuFc

Albeit at home, we managed to conjure up a decent performance and win against Liverpool, having put in two poor performances at the start of last season.

Despite the negativity surrounding the club at this present time, we do actually have 6 out of 9 points. Yes, we should have lost against Wolves but we didn't and so, we're in a position where, if we were to get something from this, all of a sudden, things look a lot different.

Of course, it will be tough, and based on our away record, Arsenal will be clear favourites, but I think they'll be plenty of space to exploit Arsenal on the counter, which is arguably our most dangerous weapon.

NLunited

You should not lose your cookies because we are playing Arsenal, they are as vulnerable as us.

What I’m hoping is we end our weak away performance trend against them. Good opponent to do it against.

Lyng

Is Hojlund back for this?
    Kasper Hjulmand (danish national coach) just confirmed that he has seen Rasmus train in Manchester and has spoken with Rasmus and with us and that he is ready to be involved in the weekend. (Whether he will be involved is up to ETH of course)

Demon Barber

Kasper Hjulmand (danish national coach) just confirmed that he has seen Rasmus train in Manchester and has spoken with Rasmus and with us and that he is ready to be involved in the weekend. (Whether he will be involved is up to ETH of course)
    I am glad that he has seen him train, but it would be foolish for us to sanction his release. I realise he will need game time, but surely we have enough players not on international duty to have another behind-closed-doors game or two?

Jeffthered

I think we may be alright. We usually play well at the Arsenal, bring a good number (fans) down there and give it a good go, why not? Arsenal are still finding form, we are scarbbling about and surely (surely) must have learnt from the opening few games. I also feel the occasion and Arsenal's approach may suit us. We are not playing so well, and they are perspective champions, right?

I hope Eriksen starts. Rashford is due a goal or two and he likes it down there, he'll smash a couple in I think...

James35

I’ve never been more convinced of a loss if we set up the same way as first three games. Also away from home we are just a mess and shit the bed as soon as we concede. The players heads will drop and Arsenal will control the midfield and batter us down the right with Saka v Dalot.

Hojlund might be as useful as Weghorst until he finds his feet. Think he will only make a cameo anyway.

I’d also be dropping Antony and bringing in McTominay to play with Eriksen and Casemiro to give us a chance of getting a point.

Onana, AWB, Lindelof, Martinez, Dalot, Casemiro, McTominay, Eriksen, Bruno, Martial, Rashford.

Posh Red

I may be being thick here, but will Dalot’s preference to use his right foot actually help him to defend against Saka, who is left footed?

NLunited

I’ve never been more convinced of a loss if we set up the same way as first three games. Also away from home we are just a mess and shit the bed as soon as we concede. The players heads will drop and Arsenal will control the midfield and batter us down the right with Saka v Dalot.

Hojlund might be as useful as Weghorst until he finds his feet. Think he will only make a cameo anyway.

I’d also be dropping Antony and bringing in McTominay to play with Eriksen and Casemiro to give us a chance of getting a point.

Onana, AWB, Lindelof, Martinez, Dalot, Casemiro, McTominay, Eriksen, Bruno, Martial, Rashford.
    Terrible plan. Martial was no good against Forest while Antony had a good game. I’d play Rashford through the middle, Garnacho or Sancho on the left. Bring on Højlund later.

I’d be tempted to use Alvaro against Saka, or Martinez.

Steve 007

I may be being thick here, but will Dalot’s preference to use his right foot actually help him to defend against Saka, who is left footed?
    TBH I’d rather see AWB against Saka. I just think Dalot is not strong as a defender. I appreciate AWB has never and should never play left back

James35

Terrible plan. Martial was no good against Forest while Antony had a good game. I’d play Rashford through the middle, Garnacho or Sancho on the left. Bring on Højlund later.

I’d be tempted to use Alvaro against Saka, or Martinez.
    I thought Antony was better than his usual rubbish but not that good and Martial will definitely be sharper after those minutes plus he holds the ball up so much better than Rashford, who himself was finally better due to going back to his preferred position.

So for you a terrible plan, for me not so much. All about opinions though.

I like Alvaro also but it’s clear ten Hag doesn’t trust him. I’m also unsure whether Hojlund even makes it in the pitch, think we are waiting for his sub appearance v Brighton at home as an easier way to make a debut. Hope I’m wrong of course as can’t wait to see him in action.

RuudTom83

Including McTom in the starting line-up is tough ask! having only played about 10 minutes in the last game. If the plan was to use him Away at Arsenal then he is very under cooked.

Jig1234

Hope I am wrong, But i think this is going to ugly for us. We are awful away from home. First game after the window closes and our last match before the international break. I feel this is the fixture everyone realises how shockingly bad our recruitment and summer has been. Our midfield regardless if Mctominay plays or not, I think we will get dispatched easily. I don't think anyone should fear our midfield. I can see Rice having a field day, walking right through us.

We we live in hope.

AFC NimbleThumb

Can anyone point me in the direction of the articles about United’s injury crisis headed into this game, anytime now or later this week will be fine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 293 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw