g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Arthur Vermeeren | Off to Atletico

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Arthur Vermeeren is a18 year old deeper lying midfielder with a high technical level and composure for his age. I'd say he's one of the biggest midfield talents to appear in Belgium for some time and I would expect there to be a lot of competition for his signature once he decides to leave Royal Antwerp, which is expected to be at the end of the current season. I watched him play yesterday for his club in the Champions league qualifying round against AEK Athens and he didn't disappoint with his maturity, intelligence, technical ability and composure on full display, especially after Antwerp went down to 10 men at the 50th minute of the match. He assisted the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win and he's definitely one to watch.

United have a strong interest in him with United's scout in Belgium, Roland Janssen reportedly being sold on the player. And it does seem like we will be in the mix for the players signature along with a number of other clubs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The highlights below are from the game against Barcelona at the Camp Nou. And even though Barcelona won the game convincingly (5-0) and had 70% possession, Vermeeren still managed to display his high technical level where he rarely gave the ball away in midfield and his touch and technique for a 18 year old deeper lying midfielder was very impressive considering his team was getting dominated in possession due to the quality of the opposition as a collective.

Grande

The highlights below are from the game against Barcelona at the Camp Nou. And even though Barcelona won the game convincingly (5-0) and had 70% possession, Vermeeren still managed to display his high technical level where he rarely gave the ball away in midfield and his touch and technique for a 18 year old deeper lying midfielder was very impressive considering his team was getting dominated in possession due to the quality of the opposition as a collective.

He reminds me of a less physical McTominay.
(Yellow text)

jesperjaap

Only seen youtube clips, bt dont we already have a teenage player of the same ilk in Mainoo? Does he offer something different or to compliment?

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Precisely this summer there was already talk of an interest from Barcelona.
Apparently, Barcelona is following his evolution.
He's an interesting player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Only seen youtube clips, bt dont we already have a teenage player of the same ilk in Mainoo? Does he offer something different or to compliment?
Mainoo is more of a midfielder who needs to be given the freedom to advance up the pitch from a deeper midfield role. Or else you take a lot of the good things from his game.

Vermeeren is a holding midfielder who can sit in a single pivot or a double pivot and would likely be seen as the long term Casemiro replacement. So both Mainoo and Vermeeren would be compatible together stylistically.

CM

I'd like for us to sign a midfielder of this profile but I just don't think we're interested in trying to play football that way. There has been no movement towards signing a midfielder who gives us control in possession of the ball for years.

Kramer

I'd like for us to sign a midfielder of this profile but I just don't think we're interested in trying to play football that way. There has been no movement towards signing a midfielder who gives us control in possession of the ball for years.
Didn’t we spend most of ETH’s first summer in charge chasing FDJ?

CM

Yes, I hoped that was the direction we were taking at the time but there hasn't been any effort to sign a player who is stylistically similar since. Ten Hag seems to have a bias towards players he has worked with before or who have played in the Eredivisie at some point in their careers. I'm now convinced he just wanted a player he was familiar with rather than being set on that profile of player.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Lovely assist, his second this game (in only his second CL game). At 18 years old, he has great vision and plays without fear:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seemingly not down to any stylistic preference from Ten Hag, more likely because Ten Hag went to school with his mother or something.

Ekeke

A year ago he looked like he had a great attitude as a ball winner but might not be that great on the ball. Certainly showing he can pass and is more of a threat with the ball this season in the champions league and is maturing into a better player. Wouldnt be the first young player we were linked with who we dont end up signing and they end up being a quality player. He's more defensive than Mainoo so I dont think his emergence would get in the way of us going for Vermeeren as a long term Casemiro replacement

ShinjiNinja26

It’s a pity the whole sale process dragged on as long as it did because had INEOS came in earlier and we had a proper football structure in place I’m sure we’d have been all over this transfer.

avgp_1

Only watched him in the CL this season, reminded me of a bit of Aaron Ramsey on the ball.

That's a great fee that Atletico have managed to snap him for. Very smart signing

El-Manos

We’ll be interested in 2 years for quadruple that no doubt. He’s a big big talent.