Article predicting change in narrative about SAF in a few years.

https://apple.news/A7YlpJUOnSeuFk-oaNrsf9g

To be honest I find this article utterly disgusting.. we are judging a man by today’s standards and completely ignoring ignoring.
SAF used to shout at players
1) he’s cultural upbringing
2) he’s personality and world of football at the time
3) How he adapted over time as players changed and became “softer”

SAF basically ran Old Trafford

Yes Matthew Syed you twat, he ran the whole club he earned that right and he was winner. Football clubs at the time were also set up for a manager to pretty much run it in their own way, it’s just that most got sacked so never had 27 years to stamp their mark. Look at Arsene Wenger he pretty much ran Arsenal in his own way.

He Held Grudges
Yes and so do journos, see Oliver Holt vs Jose, or Fat Man vs LVG.

Nepotism
Way the world works, it’s also called looking after your family & friends. What he actually did for Darren was minor compared to what he could have done.

Banning Journalists
I’m glad he did, Journalist that lie or misrepresent the truth are like bent coppers and deserve all they get. I wish more managers did what SAF used to do.

L1nk

To be honest I find this article utterly disgusting.. we are judging a man by today’s standards and completely ignoring ignoring.

Yes Matthew Syed you twat, he ran the whole club he earned that right and he was winner. Football clubs at the time were also set up for a manager to pretty much run it in their own way, it’s just that most got sacked so never had 27 years to stamp their mark. Look at Arsene Wenger he pretty much ran Arsenal in his own way.

He Held Grudges

Nepotism
Way the world works, it’s also called looking after your family & friends. What he actually did for Darren was minor compared to what he could have done.

Banning Journalists
I’m glad he did, Journalist that lie or misrepresent the truth are like bent coppers and deserve all they get. I wish more managers did what SAF used to do.

Yeah but look at the way the world is going, are you honestly surprised? If he was younger and on social media I have no doubt they'd try cancelling him on twitter when articles about the Beckham boot incident reared it's head. He had his faults of course, but context doesn't matter, there are tv shows from 20/30 years ago that have different language and world views that, for good or bad, reflected the time period they were from, but it doesn't matter, what matters is that 1 bad word was said and that's that.

A manager of his ilk wouldn't thrive in todays game, a winner at all costs, his skills aside, his type of man management just wouldn't fly these days, so prepare yourself for the revisionism.

Eddy_JukeZ

The ABU media are out in full force.

Hopefully we win the league this season, so they keep coming out of the darkness.

Betson

On no , He used to shout at players . How did I ever support him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah but look at the way the world is going, are you honestly surprised? If he was younger and on social media I have no doubt they'd try cancelling him on twitter when articles about the Beckham boot incident reared it's head. He had his faults of course, but context doesn't matter, there are tv shows from 20/30 years ago that have different language and world views that, for good or bad, reflected the time period they were from, but it doesn't matter, what matters is that 1 bad word was said and that's that.

A manager of his ilk wouldn't thrive in todays game, a winner at all costs, his skills aside, his type of man management just wouldn't fly these days, so prepare yourself for the revisionism.
Fergie is a genius. He’d adapt to any situation in any time and his workers/players would adore him. it’s charisma, empathy and an eye for a brilliant employee.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Its the natural course of history to look at our predecessor's with a look of contempt and our and a misjudged moral superiority

I rather not turn this into political wankfest as I'm would believe I'm an outlier in this sub but talking specifically about that article you've posted its rather comical

Fergie earned the right to manage the way he did and he had the underprivileged upbringing that many of those lads experienced him shouting at players brought the best out of them and im sure most of them if not all would appreciate it if asked now so I just find the articles insistence on it rather trite and petty to be honest

I doubt the way he ran the club then would be possible now as its gotten much more corporatey for lack of a better word(something which he was part of with the boom of footbal in the 90s)but seeing the growth of united under his reign to the most popular and profitable club in the world makes it hard to argue against

The parts about grudges and banning journos is rather tone deaf if anything he should have been even more hostile to the wankers

And the part about nepotism while maybe true is perhaps an exaggeration? I mean anceloti has his son as his assistant and we all do look out for our family and friends so its nothing world breaking to be honest(he also looked for his players even when they had lost their usefulness aka keeping garry past his best with would undermind this image of him being this ruthless ,only concerned about winning man)

All in all Fergie was not a perfect man as no one is. there is many justified criticisms to be had of the great man but those on article seem to be more out of spite then anything credible

I think he’s genius was that he was very aware of the changing times both footballing wise and in terms of the social/political climate. Hence the constant tactical adaptations throughout the decades and also the change in his man management style.

You are right about cancel culture and how they might very well take one incident and completely spin it out of context and proportion.

reelworld

Fergie is a genius. He’d adapt to any situation in any time and his workers/players would adore him. it’s charisma, empathy and an eye for a brilliant employee.
Fergie is a natural born leader.
He did what he did because it was what works at the time.
And he could change his approach to whatever would work given any period of time.
If Fergie is coming up now, he would come with a managing style that suits the current time and players

Agreeded, this is disgraceful stuff.

None of us think hes a perfect person but feck off with this. Almost all our ex players even ones he sold or moved on say he always did right by them.
In case you didn’t actually read my post I don’t agree with it. But it’s a paid subscription so most people probably won’t be able to read it so I highlighted the key points and stated why they are nonesense.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
This is the world we live in now. Nothing people with blogs and assholes, er I mean, opinions. Desperate for clicks, likes and follows and they dont care who the tear down to get it. Being a product of your time might not excuse who you are in retrospect but thats the world they lived in and thats the what the world made them into. We can all want to do better, to be better, but thats what they wanted to. We see scores of people dismissed with "ok boomer", showing utter contempt for generations based on the worst people that generation had to offer. They dont seem to look for the bigger picture. They shout loudly from behind 144hz monitors, tapping furiously into their full mech keyboards with led accents about how unfair it all it is because of the actions of the rich and shameless of past generations, seemingly oblivious to the rich and shameless of the current generation doing the very same things. Yes, internet fecknuggets, Jared Kushner is a millennial. And he is not your guy, buddy.

But here we are, a great man with flaws like all the rest of us is fair game for these spineless parasites that dont actually care about the shit that they are rallying against. All they want is the faux outrage and social media points that come with it. SAF took the game by the scruff of the neck. Was he an asshole? Im sure he was sometimes. But how much joy has he brought to so many over how many decades? How many of those that played for him, love him to this day? You know, the ones he actually shouted at? A lot of them. But this cnut thinks we "shouldnt forget" just because Ronnie is coming back? feck right off.

I absolutely detest current media trends. Its all bandwagons and shaming. Look what such and such did a million fecking years ago, or look at this person not agreeing with me politically. If you ask me, the world could do with a few more "journos" being banned. Because they do not give a feck about reporting events. They do not give a feck about informing. They shit stir and take an active roll in most stories. And all so they can sell clicks.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
In case you didn’t actually read my post I don’t agree with it. But it’s a paid subscription so most people probably won’t be able to read it so I highlighted the key points and stated why they are nonesense.
Yeah fair play mate, my comments weren't towards you, they were directed to the author.

Thanks for posting I can make sure to never click on anything by Matthew Syed again!

Yeah fair play mate, my comments weren't towards you, they were directed to the author.

Thanks for posting I can make sure to never click on anything by Matthew Syed again!
My mistake. Upon reading your post and who you replied to I realised that you was talking about the author and his crappy article.

Okey

Matthew Syed. I'll remember the name. What utter nonsense. Sounds like it's him who has decided that this is a 'dark' side as well!

RUCK4444

Shouldn’t give articles like this the time of day.

His reputation as a brilliant man and one of the most decorated managers in history is what will outlast this sort of nonsense.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
A journalist wouldn’t just do that. Just go on and write a controversial article for clout like that.

Kelly15

You say that like saf retired 20 to 30 years ago its only been 8. He would love the challenge right now. Surround himself with top coaches and destroy. He always adapted. That's why he was a top manager for 20 some years. He was always adapting to the times.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The ironic part is, he was probably more empathic towards his players and the club employees, protected them more and showed more genuine care than most people do nowadays.
It wasn’t just all about him and his feelings. He knew he had to get everyone on board and establish a togetherness amongst everyone in order for the club to function the way it did.
He had his flaws, as we all do, but all in all, the positive stories about him far outweigh the negative ones.

Giggs' right foot

Didn’t Clough punch Keane? And Keane was like “But I remember thinking, ‘eeh, I still think you’re a brilliant manager.”

Most sport is a pacified simulation of war - shouting, intimidation and dictatorship-like structures are therefore a part of this. If you don’t like that, then invent a sport where 22 players work in unison to get a ball into the net - no shouting or eye-rolling towards each other. Every players has to have fun - that’a the one rule. At the end of the season, all teams have won the league.

padzilla

Hipster
The Murdoch media writing hit pieces for clicks... whatever next?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They. Are. Worried.

dal

His type of man management, wtf?

He changed his man management accordingly, I mean he had to deal with Nani crying, Ronaldos antics and Rooney leaving the club.

He had to deal with a huge media following and social media was heavily used even in 2013.

I think some people have very short memories. He would change his man management to suit which was his greatest strength.

He ran the club but he did more as a hybrid sporting director in his later years, giving coaches greater authority pretty much how Ole is doing it now. Ask Mike Phelan, he says he pretty much ran the club in the last few years.

Short, short memories.

Deery

Dreary
I fecking hate this snowflake generation that want to be offended by everything..

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Are the "he's" supposed to be "his"?
And what's the "ignoring ignoring"?

Hard to read OP.

Ixion

Haha what a joke. Oh no he used to give players the hairdryer, he legacy is tarnished.

Abizzz

I can somehow only read the first two paragraphs but that's probably for the best.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mathew Syed is normally a good writer but like all writers who have to produce shit every week, prone to writing nonsense and shit opinions.

GazTheLegend

Alex Ferguson is a lovely man and the news agencies, individual journalists, and even people within the f.a. regularly tried to destroy him. If he went after any of them it was always for a very, very good reason. Journalists are fecking awful people, look at Simon Jordan and friends spending MONTHS sacking Solskjaer on talksport. Soon as he did well, did they apologize for endlessly slating him or change their tune? Ferguson was lucky enough that his position of being a winner meant he could say what he thought without being taken down by those people at the time. Not surprising that those cowards try to do it now.

Dan_F

I’m pretty sure that journalist guested on a couple of podcast that I listened to ages ago. I wasn’t a fan.

I’m not sure how he manages to make it through a whole match, what with all the players shouting at each other and the referee. It must be awful for him.

Classical Mechanic

He did have a dark side that's unquestionably true. Shameful nepotism around his son and youth footballers are probably the worst examples of this. He was also a bully at times. I doubt there'll be a major revision of his legacy though. Clough had more demons and is still revered. Neither are a template for how people should behave today.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Matthew Syed is a wanker. I'm not going to read what that bald cnut has to say about anything.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

He Held Grudges

Nepotism

Banning Journalists
I’ve known Mathew for a while and this is typical :lol:

He always goes for a narrative that appeals to an Alt crowd.