Ashley Fletcher

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Introducing... Ashley Fletcher
Ashley Fletcher is determined to impress at Under-21 level for Manchester United after topping the Under-18s' goalscoring chart last term...

When did you first join United?
Well, I was originally involved with the satellite training centres when I was five years old and then later I started training at The Cliff. Unfortunately, the club didn't sign me at the age of nine so I went to Bolton Wanderers, my hometown team, instead. I was born in Yorkshire but moved to Bolton when I was three. United signed me when I was in the Under-12s.

Which players did you come through the ranks with?
I’ve been with James Wilson and Josh Harrop since the early days. I had a really good partnership with Willo and obviously look up to him now he’s in the first team. We had a very good season together in the Academy last year.

How would you describe your playing style?
Well, I’m tall and a target man in a way but I like to think I can go in behind as well and stretch the play. Obviously, I can collect balls in behind and get one-on-one with the goalkeeper but I can hold it up as well. A lot of my goals come in the six-yard box. They’re the type I score - the poacher’s goals.

Have you always been a regular goalscorer through all the age groups?
Yes, from an early age, I’ve always scored goals in each season I’ve played in. I’ve never had to worry about that really as I’ve always known the goals will come. This year, it’s obviously been harder to get game time because of the quality players we have in the Under-21s. Will Keane was playing before his loan and Willo has come down sometimes. Hopefully, I can get some games during the next period.

We hear you've been scoring goals in 'behind-closed-doors' friendlies...
Yes, we’ve had a few friendlies and I’ve scored goals against Bury, Cardiff City and a few other teams. I’ve scored against our first team as well, in the in-house games. I scored with my first touch in one of those!

You've had some injury problems to overcome. How are you now?
I had a collapsed lung the year before in the summer and I had a knee injury at the end of last season and had to work hard to regain my fitness and get back on track. I’m feeling fitter and stronger now. I’m raring to go really. I’ve got on as sub a few times and hopefully I can score some goals and impress Warren. Obviously, I dream about making it. Hopefully, I can make it a reality.

Are you benefiting from the amount of effort you put into training?
Exactly, training is very intense and, in some ways, is even better than a game for improving your fitness levels and skills by training with players of a high quality. It has brought me on as a player this season. Obviously, the transition from the Under-18s to the Under-21s means I'm competing with older players for a place so it’s about being patient, like I've had to be in the first half of the season, biding my time - and then doing the business when I get the chance.

Are there any players you can look up to for inspiration?

Yes, I look up to James Wilson and obviously Paddy McNair and Tyler Blackett too, and Danny Welbeck when he was here. They show it’s not a million miles away as they have come through the ranks and progressed. I see them as role models, to be honest, and hope I can get there too. It does tend to happen quickly. Look at Paddy - he was thrown in at the deep end in a way this season and handled it fantastically well.

Have you had to adapt your game after making the step up?

Yes, and [Under-18s coach] Paul McGuinness has been great for my career as he brought me on a lot last year. He told me I needed to be strong and needed to have that belief inside me. He taught me I have got to go and be strong, physical and aggressive in my play and that’s the main thing I didn’t have. I’ve put that into my game now and I know it’s something I can still improve on.

Warren has said something similar about Will Keane in the past - is it difficult to be pleasant off the field but more aggressive on it?

Yes, Will and I are very similar apparently. When you’re on the pitch, you’re playing for the team and it's alright being a nice lad off the pitch but you must try to be a different animal on it as well. If you want to play at the top level, you must get that aggression into your game and it’s what my Mum and Dad have said to me, as well as the coaches. I know I am getting there. I just want to cement a place in the team, score a few goals and catch Warren Joyce’s eye.

GloryHunter07

I thought this thread was going to be about Young being the new Fletcher or something.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Training Talk with Ashley Fletcher

Who regularly impresses you in training?

Liam Grimshaw and James Weir train well. We are all keen to catch the eye and put pressure on the other players as we just try to get into that team.

Who has scored the best goal you've seen in training?

I'd probably have to say myself! [Laughs]. If I remember rightly, it was a volley from outside the box. I caught it well and it hit the bar on its way in.

Do you use technology to assist you in any training techniques?

Yes, we wear GPS and track how far we have run and how quick our speed is. It's an indication of the effort everyone is putting in to training! We wear them every day to give an indication of how much we're all doing.

Are you working on anything specific in the gym?

Me personally, I've been working on my speed, just to get that extra yard. I have been doing speed sessions with Mark Hulse, the strength co-ordinator and athletic development coach, and have come on quite a bit. I'm getting that extra yard of sharpness. It's acceleration, just basically about the first couple of steps when you're sprinting. It's training your brain to remember it's all about not putting a foot back when you're sprinting. It's very good!

What is your favourite part of training?
The bit I enjoy most has got to be shooting practice - all different types of shots, half-volleys and volleys. Obviously, I score a lot of goals in the six-yard box so I like the ones that are whipped in across goal. Finishing off crosses is my type of thing and I like that a lot. The games are always competitive too. Paul McGuinness and Warren Joyce's sessions are very similar in terms of the ways they both give strikers a chance to practice and both managers have taught me a lot over the past year so I've enjoyed it.

And finally, if you picked a five-a-side team in training, who'd be in it?
David De Gea in net and I'd have Juan Mata. I'd need a defender too so 'Jonah' [Phil Jones] and another striker, so I'd put James Wilson in there so we can rekindle our partnership! If we were allowed to have former players as well, I'd have to fit Giggsy in there somewhere.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Manchester United Reserves coach Warren Joyce was pleased to see Ashley Fletcher get off the mark at Under-21 level during Monday's victory over Southampton at Leigh Sports Village.

The striker has been a prolific marksman throughout the age groups at the club since joining as an Under-12 and clinically finished a Phil Jones pass to notch the winner against the Saints. After hitting the bar with a header from Andreas Pereira's pinpoint cross early on, it was obvious to see what finding the net meant to the 19-year-old.

"Fletcher has had to bide his time," explained Joyce to MUTV. "A little bit like Paddy [McNair] last year really. He has done a lot of work in the mornings and afternoons to try to develop himself, so you're pleased he's got his rewards.

"I'd have been pleased if he'd have got the header in early doors as it's one area we are working particularly hard on to improve. I think he has developed it a little bit over the season but he has still got a lot more to come. There is also a lot more to come even in his body because he's not fully developed yet."

Joyce also had praise for Ben Amos who, on his return to the side following his loan at Bolton Wanderers, made a stunning fingertip stop from Sam McQueen in injury time to preserve United's lead.

"I thought it was a great save at the end," added Joyce. "Obviously, Ben has been at the club a long time and we have to rotate the goalkeepers around but, to keep his concentration in Reserves games, I thought he was a credit to himself."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...x?newsid=8133DF46-7C28-4FF7-907C-1224332EB282

Devil may care

What's the overall view on this lad? First time seeing much of him tonight and he took his goal well anbd got an assist, but how is his overall pace/mobility/technique?

khoazany

What's the overall view on this lad? First time seeing much of him tonight and he took his goal well anbd got an assist, but how is his overall pace/mobility/technique?
He has fantastic control and good technique on the ball for a tall striker and is quite mobile.His weakness is his lack of aggressiveness despite having good physical stature which is improving under Joyce and his average pace.Also his aerial ability is nothing special despite his height.I personally feel he's more suited to play as a second striker.Joyce drew comparison to McNair regarding his development and how he must be patient for a chance in the U21s with the other options we have (Wilson and Will Keane before he went on loan).

Last edited:

Devil may care

He has fantastic control and good technique on the ball for a tall striker and is quite mobile.His weakness is his lack of aggressiveness despite having good physical stature which is improving under Joyce and his pace is average.Also his aerial ability is nothing special despite his height.I personally feel he's more suited to play as a second striker.Joyce drew comparison to McNair regarding his development and how he must be patient for a chance in the U21s with the other options we have (Wilson and Will Keane before he went on loan).
Thanks. He kinda made me think of John Carew, could be an interesting one to develop as he offers something different and should get a big chance next season as I expect Wilson to either see more first team game time or go on loan.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Thanks. He kinda made me think of John Carew, could be an interesting one to develop as he offers something different and should get a big chance next season as I expect Wilson to either see more first team game time or go on loan.
That's gotta be some kind of Caf record for random, slightly racist player comparisons.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Unless he meant slow as arseholes, massive but crap in the air and easily shrugged off the ball, and cant finish? Or "Emile Heskey" for short.

For the record, I quite like Fletcher.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Barnsley Football Club is delighted to welcome Manchester United's Ashley Fletcher to Oakwell on loan.

The promising striker has penned a youth loan with the Reds until February 6th, 2016.

A tall and powerful forward, the 20-year-old told barnsleyfc.co.uk he didn't think twice about joining Lee Johnson's Reds.

"I'm buzzing to be here," he said. "I've come to get some league experience and help improve the team.

"I'm looking forward to this weekend. Fleetwood are a good side and it will be a good test but with the quality we've got here, I'm sure we can do the business.

"Having trained with the lads this morning, I can see the quality that they bring to the Club."

The striker will wear squad number 18 for this weekend's Johnstone's Paint Trophy Area Final first leg, with tickets available until tomorrow for just £5!

Read more at http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/ar...ins-the-reds-2888364.aspx#0p6uYKp1yeMy3srY.99

Reds boss Lee Johnson spoke to barnsleyfc.co.uk after landing the loan signing of Ashley Fletcher.

The Manchester United youngster penned a one-month youth loan at Oakwell today, with Johnson saying of the 20-year-old.

"I'm really pleased to bring Ashley in. We are very grateful to Manchester United for entrusting us to develop another one of their future stars in Ashley.

"We are all looking forward to working with him and I'm sure he'll have a positive effect on the team."

The Yorkshire-born forward will remain at Oakwell until February 6th and is eligible to play this weekend in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Area Final first leg.

"He's a big target man that brings other players into play and he's definitely got a goal in him," added the Barnsley boss.

"It's his first loan so we'll have to be patient with him but we all hope he'll hit the ground running - starting on Saturday against Fleetwood."

Read more at http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/ar...ker-fletcher-2888404.aspx#rOLTdE669TaXRfR5.99

Last edited:

Brightonian

"Big target man". Well, yes and no... If that's what they think he's good at they may be disappointed. I've always thought he was a bit flimsy considering his stature, and not as much of a hold-up striker as you'd expect.

However, he's good in lots of other ways so it may not matter.

khoazany

"Big target man". Well, yes and no... If that's what they think he's good at they may be disappointed. I've always thought he was a bit flimsy considering his stature, and not as much of a hold-up striker as you'd expect.

However, he's good in lots of other ways so it may not matter.
We're trying to mould him into that type of player.His techniques,etc,... will standout for that type of strikers if successfully developed.Still quite effy in consistency of his hold up play and decision making right now though.

Red71

We're trying to mould him into that type of player.His techniques,etc,... will standout for that type of strikers if successfully developed.Still quite effy in consistency of his hold up play and decision making right now though.
Playing against men in a tough league, getting kicked up and down the pitch, will do the physical side of his development the World of good.

Something I bemoaned in the past was how long it seemed to take for our youth to (i) progress through the age levels and (ii) be given the chance to develop on loan. I am probably wrong but it feels like there's been a conscious decision to push our lads on sooner which I'd welcome. Do you know if that's right?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think it's probably more to do with there being no spot for fletcher in the u21s. He's hardly even played at that level and I'd say well down the line of those that should be being pushed out on loan. With Rashford though there is no point in Fletcher sitting on the bench.

Red71

I think it's probably more to do with there being no spot for fletcher in the u21s. He's hardly even played at that level and I'd say well down the line of those that should be being pushed out on loan. With Rashford though there is no point in Fletcher sitting on the bench.
Fair point although again, that means someone like Rashford getting pushed into the U21's sooner than we maybe might have seen previously.....positive change....

limerickcitykid

Fair point although again, that means someone like Rashford getting pushed into the U21's sooner than we maybe might have seen previously.....positive change....
Yep we seem to be trying to get that group up into the u21s early which is good. I've also complained a lot in the past about the slow promotion of players. With tfm and Tuanzebe already up there, Rashford joining and hopefully we'll see Williams, Reid, and Gribbin up there by the end of the season. So it does look like we are doing a better job of getting this lot through.

khoazany

Something I bemoaned in the past was how long it seemed to take for our youth to (i) progress through the age levels and (ii) be given the chance to develop on loan. I am probably wrong but it feels like there's been a conscious decision to push our lads on sooner which I'd welcome. Do you know if that's right?
I think it's definitely something we're looking at but I'm not sure if it's intentional so simply because we have some very good talents down the pipeline like Rashford who're ready to start for the U21s that we have to send some of the other lads on loan to make way for them.I always think the best route for normal-developed youngster (not "special talent" but also not late developer like Lingard) is to spend one year and a half at U21s level than going on loan from the second half of the second pro year (or first team promotion if they are that good).The likes of Weir at the moment or Thorpe in the past were kept at this level for too long and it's not like we don't have any younger option for their position in Weir's case.

I do like the way that we have a smaller U18s squad like this year though.Obviously results will suffer a bit but it allows more first-year scholars and highest rated schoolboys to get games at that level which will only help their development.In the past the likes of McNair/Harrop had to wait until their second year in the U18s to become regulars and had to play down with the U16s in their first year which, in turn, will hold back some of the U15/16s as well.Would still like us to push Gribbin to the U21s soon and start Gomes regularly at U18s level though.

Last edited:

Red71

I think it's definitely something we're looking at but I'm not sure if it's intentional so simply because we have some very good talents down the pipeline like Rashford who're ready to start for the U21s that we have to send some of the other lads on loan to make way for them.I always think the best route for normal-developed youngster (not "special talent" but also not late developer like Lingard) is to spend one year and a half at U21s level than going on loan from the second half of the second pro year (or first team promotion if they are that good).The likes of Weir at the moment or Thorpe in the past were kept at this level for too long and it's not like we don't have any younger option for their position in Weir's case.

I do like the way that we have a smaller U18s squad like this year though.Obviously results will suffer a bit but it allows more first-year scholars and highest rated schoolboys to get games at that level which will only help their development.In the past the likes of McNair/Harrop had to wait until their second year in the U18s to become regulars and had to play down with the U16s in their first year which, in turn, will hold back some of the U15/16s as well.Would still like us to push Gribbin to the U21s soon and start Gomes regularly at U18s level though.

I agree with you on this but I have to think that this is more of a deliberate policy. I think it's likely that because there are players like Rashford in the younger age groups that a Fletcher can be pushed on. In seasons gone by Rashford would have been the sort of lad who would have been kept at his age level for as long as possible which would have been to the detriment of his development but also Fletcher's. By moving Fletcher on to stretch him, it naturally does the same for other talented players in each of the age groups below him.

Also, as I'm sure we're all familiar with by now, not all player development is linear and what might work for one may not work for another. I think that young Fletcher looks like he's been schooled the right way at United but probably needs to develop the either side to his game now if he wants a chance of making it at a higher level. Being kicked up and down the park by grown men can only help to toughen him up and round him out as a player.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Extended his loan to the end of the season I believe. Good for his development, will toughen him up getting a kicking from those defenders down in that league!

Owngoalscorer

One goal, one assist for Barnsley in playoffs tonight. hit the goalie (with the ball ;) ) twice too - good performance generally - good touch, powerful but still looks very young

Minkaro

Saw him in the playoff game for Barnsley. As @Owngoalscorer says, he looks good, but needs more experience. Wonder if they'd want him on loan again if they get promoted?

Trying to find some thoughts on him from Barnsley fans:

From http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showth...29&mode=linear&highlight=Fletcher#post1835429:

Not seen much about him mentioned and thought he deserved a shout.

Wow. His last 3 games have been incredible. Another complete performance yesterday. Looks dangerous every time he gets the ball and his work rate and pressing has been right up there with Marleys.

After being excellent off the bench when he first arrived, the few games he started such as Bradford away whilst having great technical ability he didn't seem to have much fight. Hecky has worked wonders with his lad, he's given him responsibility and he's got Fletch peaking just at the right time.

Keep it up Fletch and you might have 2 Wembley wins and a promotion in your first year as an pro. Not many will have that on their CV!
he's been superb for us, and he'll keep getting better. coaching staff have done a cracking job. would love to see him back with us next season. think we'd have to be in the championship though, for that to happen..

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The club have big decisions to make regarding the young strikers coming through. Fletcher can score goals but is different then Rashford, Keane and Wilson. He can make it but it's whether he's given the chance too. With Rashfords development, it's difficult to know what kind of performance we could expect from Fletcher in the first team.

Sid234

He's just 2 years older than Rashford.. plus a very different type of striker. Much more physical and better in the air but no way near as quick as Rashford.

I think it would do Fletcher a lot more good to play in the championship next season and rough it out in a physical league than play in the reserves and have an outside shot maybe making the bench for the carling cup. If he keeps developing next season, might have shot in 2 years

limerickcitykid

Despite being a big fecker Fletcher is soft as shit and isn't that physical nor that good in the air. His technical ability is what makes him the player he is.

Sid234

Despite being a big fecker Fletcher is soft as shit and isn't that physical nor that good in the air. His technical ability is what makes him the player he is.
He's come a long way this season from what little I've seen in highlights.. I think another season in the League 1 or the Championship would really help him become a better striker and teach him how to use his physicality better

khoazany

Fletcher's decent and can score goals but Rashford,Keane,Wilson were/are all better prospects.Not always the better prospect turn out to be the better player but we can only give chances to the ones that has shown the most potential since we can't play everyone.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Just scored in the play off final