Ashley Fletcher

m1y2

shame so many young palyers losing motivation to stay and fight for their places. I guess Mourinho was never gonna convince them to stay. All in all Fletcher can be a decent premier league striker but he needs to develop and it's better if he goes now, there is so many other players ahead of him in the pecking order, one for all Rashford and I am sure we will buy a another striker next year after Zlatan retires..

arthurka

That's not true.. He was excellent on loan last season, especially in tge big games. another good season on loan at a bigger club and I think he could have earned a shot in the 1st team
Sorry I dont see it.. Had a great loan last season. But we are not going to miss out on huge signings and we have Martial and Rashford who are much better than Ash so I don't believe he would have gotten a real chance here.

Sid234

Sorry I dont see it.. Had a great loan last season. But we are not going to miss out on huge signings and we have Martial and Rashford who are much better than Ash so I don't believe he would have gotten a real chance here.
The reason I think he might have had a chance is that he's a different type pf striker to Martial and Rashford.. If he developed into a good target man then i think he'd have gotten a shot a year down the line

arthurka

The reason I think he might have had a chance is that he's a different type pf striker to Martial and Rashford.. If he developed into a good target man then i think he'd have gotten a shot a year down the line
I get where you are coming from.. Sadly I think the future of Utd will be bought more than raised. Our youth players will need to be something else to get some playing time.

Leonard17

I get where you are coming from.. Sadly I think the future of Utd will be bought more than raised. Our youth players will need to be something else to get some playing time.
Don't agree. Our boys are technically, tactically, physically and mentally good. Some more than others. Jose knows he will have to compromise and play some of them. There are some he can't ignore, especially the ones that are more physically ready. Joyce handles the tactical and mental side and that means they're more than ready for any step up.

Beej

More like years down the line. There are plenty of ex-United accdemy players in their mid-late 20s in the Premier League, a couple might have even got in to our squad last season, but they were never going to break through and develop here because they weren't prodigious.

Fletcher may go on to have a very good career, and I hope he does, but the reality is that he's 20 and has had a good season in the third tier of league football and he's behind James Wilson, let alone Ibrahimovic, Rashford and Martial, in the pecking order.

At this stage he needs to play and he's only going to get U21 football here. We always want our youth products to break through, but they can't all do it. Frazier Campbell, Josh King, Federico Macheda, John Cofie; all strikers that looked promising and had people hoping for promotion. A couple do alright in the Premier League and a couple have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Russell_eire

John Cofie, I had forgotten that man even existed. Everyone had such high hopes for him. Fletcher moving to West Ham is a sideways move, he'd have been better served playing in the Championship, but maybe the Hammers will loan him out. I'd imagine he'll have a Frazier Campbell sort of career.

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
This seems curious, if he is out of contract I believe that there will be an amount of compensation due owed to the fact he is u23. However, just letting his contact run down and allowing him to move is odd. Not that I saw anything in him to make me think he could be challenging for a first team spot soon but to make sure that he was sold on favourable terms for the club.

I know Man Utd are pretty well off but surely selling him whilst he is under contact and making sure there are clauses and add-ons to protect the club in the future is wise. They must have been talking to the player and aware of his intentions before this month.

Maybe this is my small club mentality here, if a good young player wants to leave then make sure you get as much as you can for them.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
This seems curious, if he is out of contract I believe that there will be an amount of compensation due owed to the fact he is u23. However, just letting his contact run down and allowing him to move is odd. Not that I saw anything in him to make me think he could be challenging for a first team spot soon but to make sure that he was sold on favourable terms for the club.

I know Man Utd are pretty well off but surely selling him whilst he is under contact and making sure there are clauses and add-ons to protect the club in the future is wise. They must have been talking to the player and aware of his intentions before this month.

Maybe this is my small club mentality here, if a good young player wants to leave then make sure you get as much as you can for them.
While what you are saying makes sense…the club can only 'offer' a contract. If the player doesn't want to sign one or negotiate then United have no choice but to let the old contract run down. Young players get good advice from agents. They tell them to wait until the contract finishes so that they can negotiate better personal terms. So if the contract ends then the player is a 'free agent' and the club cannot ask for anything. You can't add clauses onto an old contract and there is no new one being signed.

Power with the player.

goatkrusher

Supports
colchester
While what you are saying makes sense…the club can only 'offer' a contract. If the player doesn't want to sign one or negotiate then United have no choice but to let the old contract run down. Young players get good advice from agents. They tell them to wait until the contract finishes so that they can negotiate better personal terms. So if the contract ends then the player is a 'free agent' and the club cannot ask for anything. You can't add clauses onto an old contract and there is no new one being signed.

Power with the player.
Of course. I am not sure how it works with younger players at the club, maybe it is normal to have players not offered deals until near the end of their contract. If it were me and a player hadn’t signed by Jan then I would be thinking about selling in that transfer window.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Of course. I am not sure how it works with younger players at the club, maybe it is normal to have players not offered deals until near the end of their contract. If it were me and a player hadn’t signed by Jan then I would be thinking about selling in that transfer window.
You can try to sell…but once again if the player doesn't want to then they stay and just see their contract out and then negotiate better terms with another club.

Experienced players want first team football so will move on…young players can be a bit more patient. 6 months means nothing when they have a 15 year career in front of them.

I know a lot of young players who consciously decide NOT to renew contracts. The club can't do anything about it.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Never though he would make it, wilson and Rashford were always better. I dont think much will come of him even at west ham. May be he becomes a decent championship level player.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Decent finisher, most sought after ability in football is putting the ball in the net. Which is something he has in his locker, it'll be interesting to see what he does.

Acole9

Outstanding
Good luck to him, I have no doubt West Ham will loan him out which is pretty much what we would've done.

GwilDor

Read somewhere that the chance Rashford got, would have gone to Fletcher, had he not been loaned out at the time. Dunno if that is true or not, seeing as Rashford made the bench back in November. Anyways, i guess that could say something about the talent at hand. Haven't seen much of his games for the u21's myself, but got the impression he was a decent+ talent. Figured he'd have as much of a shot as Wilson/Keane has gotten at least.

Will be interesting to see what WH do with him. I think they have a few interesting youngsters on their books now.

Leonard17

Read somewhere that the chance Rashford got, would have gone to Fletcher, had he not been loaned out at the time. Dunno if that is true or not, seeing as Rashford made the bench back in November. Anyways, i guess that could say something about the talent at hand. Haven't seen much of his games for the u21's myself, but got the impression he was a decent+ talent. Figured he'd have as much of a shot as Wilson/Keane has gotten at least.

Will be interesting to see what WH do with him. I think they have a few interesting youngsters on their books now.
That was probably said by Luckhurst or the M.E.N. right? If so, not true. When rashford made the bench, they both trained with the 1st team and rashford impressed more. That was back in November. That's not my information, it's from more informed people on here. But with him going to West Ham, I think he'll probably get loaned out at the very least. All the other strikers around his age group, that are still with us, were all rated higher than him, so it makes sense to leave.

GwilDor

That was probably said by Luckhurst or the M.E.N. right? If so, not true. When rashford made the bench, they both trained with the 1st team and rashford impressed more. That was back in November. That's not my information, it's from more informed people on here. But with him going to West Ham, I think he'll probably get loaned out at the very least. All the other strikers around his age group, that are still with us, were all rated higher than him, so it makes sense to leave.
Not sure where i have it from. Think i read it on here, but don't remember in which context, so hard to find it. Probably bollocks anyways, so just a rumour. Anyways, best of luck to the man, always like seeing our old academy players finding some kind of success at a lower level ( no offense WH...)

jb8521

Luckhurst claimed Fletcher would have been on the bench against Watford if he had been fit but he was fit and played for the u21s 2 days later. Both trained with the seniors on the day before the game and Rashford impressed more.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Dont get the fuss around him, he isnt that good and would have done really well to become a starting PL striker. He is nowhere near Rashfords, Wilson's,and (even) Keane's (talent) level. All the best to him and hope he does well over there.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
His move could prove wiser than some think. Bilic likes using two strikers. They want to add a star like Bacca to Enner Valencia and the injury prone Carroll. Diafra Sakho is leaving. So Fletcher should find himself 4 the choice striker. Fighting for 2 starting slots. Compare that to United were he has Keane and Wilson ahead of him even before we get to first choicer's like Zlatan, Rashford and Martial. At United the best he'd hope for is another loan. Whilst at West Ham he might make an EPL debut with in 6 months....

Last edited:

Red_Beans

His move could prove wiser than some think. Bilic likes using two strikers. They want to add a star like Bacca to Enner Valencia and the injury prone Carrol. Diafra Sakho is leaving. So Flecther should find hinself 4 the choice striker. Fighting for 2 starting slots. Compare that to United were he has Keane and Wilson ahead of him even before we get to first choicers like Zlatan, Rashford and Martial. At United the best he'd hope for is another loan. Whilst at West Ham he might make an EPl debut with in 6 months....
Interesting point. Time will tell but I hope the best for the lad

lysglimt

Scout
He turns 21 in 4 months - it's not a young supertalent we are talking about here. He did really well last year, but there are plenty of young strikers who have looked more promising in the last 10 years - and not made it at United.

Sid234

He turns 21 in 4 months - it's not a young supertalent we are talking about here. He did really well last year, but there are plenty of young strikers who have looked more promising in the last 10 years - and not made it at United.
Some players develop late though, and he did look very promising towards the end of his loan last season. I wouldn't write him off just yet