Ask The Opposition 2019/20: Leicester City (Premier League - Home)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Also think the comments on Maguire are about right. Though I think he'll improve and cut out a lot of the errors at United if the team is built up well, due to the increased pressure and scrutiny. Similar to Ferdinand after he signed for us. Maguire isn't in the same class as Rio but then apart from VVD I don't think there are any defenders in the PL anymore who are.

I just think tomorrow Leicester's organisation and passing will be a big struggle for us to cope with. We still look like headless chickens for large parts of games. We'll be relying on James or Rashford to do something on the break on one of the 3 occasions a half we actually manage to pass the ball to one of them. I expect we'll see a lot of the trademark Ashley Young measured ball up the line to no one. The fact we're at home will probably keep us in the game enough to have a chance of winning it.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
100 million pound attacking midfielder, and you're gonna play him on the left?!

lysglimt

Scout
Yep the 5-3 in LVG’s first season. Di Maria with a beautiful chip over Kasper, I remember it being 3-1 to us at one point during the game. On paper the attack looked ridiculous, RVP, Rooney, Falcao, Di Maria.
One of the most frustrating games in the pre-Ferguson era. We were so good for about 60 minutes in that game. Created a lot of chances, Falcao hit the woodwork, Schmeichel made 2-3 good saves. We were 3-1 up, and then they got that ridiculous penalty. Vardy basically bundled Rafael over the sidelines - Rafael got back and barely touched Vardy who went down and got a penalty. RIDICULOUS!

And then we folded completely….Cambiasso equalized. Mata lost the ball and de Laet played Vardy through 4-3 Before Tyler Blackett finished a nightmare of a game by bringing down Vardy . and Ulloa scored 5-3

Eoin McMahon

One of the most frustrating games in the pre-Ferguson era. We were so good for about 60 minutes in that game. Created a lot of chances, Falcao hit the woodwork, Schmeichel made 2-3 good saves. We were 3-1 up, and then they got that ridiculous penalty. Vardy basically bundled Rafael over the sidelines - Rafael got back and barely touched Vardy who went down and got a penalty. RIDICULOUS!

And then we folded completely….Cambiasso equalized. Mata lost the ball and de Laet played Vardy through 4-3 Before Tyler Blackett finished a nightmare of a game by bringing down Vardy . and Ulloa scored 5-3
I remember that game well and how good our attacking play was until that collapse in the 2nd half. We had a world class attack but a midtable team defence that funnily enough had players that are still with the club today. Just shows how unbalanced of a squad we had and continue to have and its ridiculous that we have allowed it to come to this. We had Falcao, RVP, Rooney and Di Maria in attack then Evans, Smalling and Blackett in defence.

How did that squad make any sense to anyone at the club at the time it's beyond me.

Last edited:

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah, I think we'd only pay that for Sancho (if we qualify for the CL and he wants to come here). Other signings next summer we'd probably be trying to get for Wan-Bissaka prices at most. Guess it depends what happens with Pogba.
I honestly don't think you will get Sancho for 150 any more. His value sky rocketed with his England appearance and if he has another good season you could be looking at
2 hun plus. The English player surcharge is just crazy right now and Maddison could easily achieve 80 - 100.

buckooo1978

Maddison the best English creative midfielder in 2 or 3 generations? worth 100-150m? They certainly rate this kid highly

I'm expecting a hattrick from him today based on that

RooneyLegend

Maddison the best English creative midfielder in 2 or 3 generations? worth 100-150m? They certainly rate this kid highly

I'm expecting a hattrick from him today based on that
We did pay 80 million for Maguire, nothing unusual about them expecting that much. British tax in action.

TRUERED89

LVG had just made Rooney captain, do you remember his lunatic reaction to our players at 3-3? He went ballistic :lol:. I do miss Wazza...

JustABall

Is Benković getting any minutes?
U23s appearances only so far. He got injured last season while on loan at Celtic, but I read that some of their fans got VvD vibes from him.

As in he can go on to become a top defender.

buckooo1978

We did pay 80 million for Maguire, nothing unusual about them expecting that much. British tax in action.
Maguire is an established England international- arguably the second or third best CB in the country - 80m is acceptable

120m for Maddison is preposterous

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They put on a brave face regarding Maguire.
I'm not surprised they rate Maddison highly, but if he were to join United their answers would be more likely to include his poor decision making and likely high value transfer, than him being the most creative English midfielder for generations.
It's what all fans do, when Lukaku left his stock definitely dropped a little bit on here, even though he was poor.

BatistutaGoal

Supports
Leicester City
The only time I've had doubts on Rodgers have been around players being so locked into their role that they don't ever deviate. Like a couple games where Chilwell would run the line but always cut inside and slow down play. But as we've played more under him there's been more freedom and the team is starting to blossom. The huge positive imo is we look good off the ball aswell as on it. And it is allowing us to play tough possession based football because we are winning the ball back so often when we have no real right to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah. Probably won't be up before Sunday with us playing them on Monday.
Nice. A few questions come to mind: Would you take any of Bailly/Rojo/Smalling/Jones? Did you lot honestly foresee Sanchez' steep decline? Any truth to the rumours Emery can't communicate his instructions properly in English?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Nice. A few questions come to mind: Would you take any of Bailly/Rojo/Smalling/Jones? Did you lot honestly foresee Sanchez' steep decline? Any truth to the rumours Emery can't communicate his instructions properly in English?
Thanks. If anyone else has a question to provide, there's still time.