Aston Villa appoint Unai Emery as manager

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He was always going to fail at Arsenal just like Moyes failed at Man. United. Replaced a legend who left an ageing and demotivated squad.

You give him Martinelli and Saka two years after they played compared to two months when he left and also Odegaard and Saliba instead of Ozil and Sokratis and those are the tools he needed to succeed.

Getting plenty of praise on this thread which is excellent but I feel the mainstream media is still lukewarm to him which I think is because so many slaughtered him at Arsenal and they can't quite bring themselves to admit they were a little OTT.

We finish top 4 and win the Europa conference and I really can't see who else in the league will have done a better job (only Iraola if he gets Bournemouth into 7th and europe which is still just about possible and would be an amazing achievement).

Now I don't actually mind Postacoglu and have enjoyed watching Spurs's style over the season but compare the fawning he gets in the media for months on end. That said I think we've benefited from being low key and under the radar for most of the season which have kept our results pretty consistent (despite 4-5 key injuries) but that will change being in the CL and the inevitable scrutiny.

Considering his experiences at PSG and Arsenal he's been really clever in the rehabilitation phase of his career. Picked Villareal who are outstanding at developing young players with a mix of core experience and he produced Europa league win and CL SFs in two seasons. And we were a very good fit to prove a point back in the premier league given we were 17th when he took over which was ridiculous with the squad we had.

He is about as far from a knee jerk decision maker as you can get so he'll be here another 2-3 years no problem.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He was always going to fail at Arsenal just like Moyes failed at Man. United. Replaced a legend who left an ageing and demotivated squad.

You give him Martinelli and Saka two years after they played compared to two months when he left and also Odegaard and Saliba instead of Ozil and Sokratis and those are the tools he needed to succeed.

Getting plenty of praise on this thread which is excellent but I feel the mainstream media is still lukewarm to him which I think is because so many slaughtered him at Arsenal and they can't quite bring themselves to admit they were a little OTT.

We finish top 4 and win the Europa conference and I really can't see who else in the league will have done a better job (only Iraola if he gets Bournemouth into 7th and europe which is still just about possible and would be an amazing achievement).

Now I don't actually mind Postacoglu and have enjoyed watching Spurs's style over the season but compare the fawning he gets in the media for months on end. That said I think we've benefited from being low key and under the radar for most of the season which have kept our results pretty consistent (despite 4-5 key injuries) but that will change being in the CL and the inevitable scrutiny.

Considering his experiences at PSG and Arsenal he's been really clever in the rehabilitation phase of his career. Picked Villareal who are outstanding at developing young players with a mix of core experience and he produced Europa league win and CL SFs in two seasons. And we were a very good fit to prove a point back in the premier league given we were 17th when he took over which was ridiculous with the squad we had.

He is about as far from a knee jerk decision maker as you can get so he'll be here another 2-3 years no problem.
Never his fault for what happened in Arsenal. Glad that he got the praise he absolutely deserves.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Bit of bias but I think Dyche would also be in with a shout depending on how we do in those last 3 games. If we win both Luton and SU he would finish on 50 points.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bit of bias but I think Dyche would also be in with a shout depending on how we do in those last 3 games. If we win both Luton and SU he would finish on 50 points.
Half the posters on Grand Old Team forum still want him sacked. :lol:

Yeah getting this Everton team safe with three games spare with -8 is an achievement for sure. Ideal manager for Everton at present with the off field situation.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Half the posters on Grand Old Team forum still want him sacked. :lol:

Yeah getting this Everton team safe with three games spare with -8 is an achievement for sure. Ideal manager for Everton at present with the off field situation.
We are a delusional fan base. When we go on a wee run of form or a dire run of form we flip from the best to worst team in the world. There are threads calling for Dyche to be sacked at the same time as threads pondering if we can get Europe next season, it's daft.

I think there are a few managers who within their respective contexts have done an excellent job, including Emory, Dyche, Iraola and O'Neil.

Grande

Looking beyond people’s hunger for heroes and villains, Emery imo has done well several places over time. At Almeria (historical promotion, record 8th place) and Valencia (three consequtive 3rd places at a club in economical decline) he managed well in the league, at Sevilla he impressed more in the cups (three consecutive EL victories). PsG is par for course and Arsenal was poisoned chalice like current Utd at the time. Villarreal again impressed in European cups, and now Villaunreal are doing very well in the league. Nit many managers reach or surpass reasonable expectations in several clubs over several years.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Weren't Artetas players
I don't know the point you are making. Do managers only get credit for winning things with the players they've signed? Will Emery not get credit because Martinez, Konsa, McGinn, Watkins, Luiz, Digne, Bailey etc weren't Emery players?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't know the point you are making. Do managers only get credit for winning things with the players they've signed?
No, but if you only win something with the players that you didn't sign and don't win anything with the completely rebuilt squad you have made, it probably doesn't look great?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
No, but if you only win something with the players that you didn't sign and don't win anything with the completely rebuilt squad you have made, it probably doesn't look great?
Are you measuring Arsenals progress on an occasional FA Cup win? If we wanted that, we would have just kept Wenger.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Are you measuring Arsenals progress on an occasional FA Cup win? If we wanted that, we would have just kept Wenger.
Nope, but as said before, if you don't end up winning anything with Arteta and the squad he builds then it's hard to judge it as success and there is a danger of all that progession being for nothing as it will ultimately stall and regress again.

Ultimately it's a question of how you analyse success and progress. I think Arsenal have progressed without necessarily succeeding. Obviously winning the title this year will change that if you manage it.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Whereas yours were rock solid.
Ah you're right.

Being 4-0 up and somehow still losing 6-1 in the away leg isn't a solid example of bottling. Also, Arteta being 2-1 down at Old Trafford and losing 3-2 is the same as Emery being 2-0 and still losing 3-2...

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Ah your right.

Being 4-0 up and somehow still losing 6-1 in the away leg isn't a solid example of bottling. Also, Arteta being 2-1 down at Old Trafford and losing 3-2 is the same as Emery being 2-0 and still losing 3-2...
I mean, several posters (both Arse fans and neutrals) have been patient enough to show you how silly your point is. He's an excellent manager, and your examples are frankly deluded.