Astronomy & Space Exploration

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He does say that it would not accelerate quickly. But it would have to accelerate quickly enough to reach escape velocity. So. Assuming it would work, it may have to be a hybrid. Interesting nonetheless.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Rumours are that they've found signs of life on Venus

nimic

something nice
Scout

My brother says told me about this last night, says they released something early by mistake. Apparently they've detected phosphine, which some claim can only be produced biologically (sort of? It's on Jupiter already apparently, so I don't know. Maybe we don't know a way for it to appear on rocky planets). I've heard enough wild astronomy claims to remain skeptical, but who knows. If true, well...

luke511

Yes, they've been doing research into phosphine rigorously over the last decade before reaching the conclusion that it's impossible (to our current knowledge) for a rocky planet to produce phosphine without some form of life. Alien life on a planet as close as venus is very exciting, it more or less proves how common it will be throughout the universe.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Would be kinda funny for this to be legit, right after they've sent another billion dollar machine (with a helicopter!) to Mars. I know Venus is very hard to even exist on (to put it mildly), but it's still very unloved in exploration terms.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Anyone watched the new Netflix documentary about Challenger? Lucas saying he’d make the same decisions he made then all over again despite knowing it blew up and killed 7 people is one of the most extraordinary things I’ve ever seen.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Anyone watched the new Netflix documentary about Challenger? Lucas saying he’d make the same decisions he made then all over again despite knowing it blew up and killed 7 people is one of the most extraordinary things I’ve ever seen.
What’s it called?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I don't think this is correct. Meteoroids turn into meteors/meteorites, but asteroids just stay asteroids (as long as they don't split up into a bunch of meteorites).
I stand corrected. So what's the difference between meteoroids and asteroids? Does the first group orbit the earth and the latter the sun?

Fingeredmouse

I think a meteoroid is mostly just a smaller piece of an asteroid, but I don't know how they are defined exactly.
A meteor is an asteroid that enters the atmosphere. If it physically survives to impact the surface it's a meteorite. So, asteroid in space, meteor as it burns through the atmosphere and a meteorite is the rock/iron that's left.
Edit: I've never heard of a meteoroid. Is that a variant on meteorite?
Edit 2: Checked. It's a small asteroid apparently.
Edit 3: So you're right and I'll just shut up.

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The differences are pretty straightforward, really.
  • Cosmic dust = Astronomical object with a maximum diameter of ~100 µm. Super abundant in the cosmos, and sub-categorized by location (like interstellar dust).
  • Micro-Meteoroid = Astronomical object with a minimum diameter of ~100 µm and maximum diameter of less than a speck of sand.
  • Meteoroid = Astronomical object that is larger than a micro-meteoroid but with a maximum diameter of ~1 meter. These are found across the Solar System or in stable-ish orbits.
  • Asteroid or Planetoid = Astronomical object with a minimum diameter of 1 meter to min-planet size (Ceres has a diameter of ~930 km). Typically found in the Asteroid Belt.

• Comet: Icy astronomical objects (largest recorded nuclear diameter = C/2002 VQ94 with ~100 km). Typically originate in the Kuiper Belt (short-period) or the Oort Cloud (long-period), and leave a coma trail because of wind and radiation when passing close to the Sun.

* In the context of Earth...
  • Meteor = An astronomical object that enters the Earth's atmosphere and gets vaporized (shooting star effect).​
  • Meteorite = An astronomical object that survives vaporization and makes contact with the Earth's surface. Further sub-categorized into chondrite, achondrite, etc.​
  • Bolide = A meteor that burns exceptionally brightly in the atmosphere, and superbolide = bolide than is briefly 100 times brighter than the moon.​

0le

@Invictus

I am guessing that those diameters are likely equivalent diameters. Solid particles are typically non-spherical, so you obtain a characteristic of the particle, such as its area, volume, surface area, projected length etc and quote the diameter of a sphere with the equivalent characteristic.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Its one of the few places on earth I really want to go to. The asteroid was only 46 meters in size!
Its actually scary how massive the place is. There's a viewing observatory that allows you to actually stand on top of the crater from very high up. Apparently the NASA moon landing astronauts used the crater to simulate the moon's surface before the mission.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Its actually scary how massive the place is. There's a viewing observatory that allows you to actually stand on top of the crater from very high up. Apparently the NASA moon landing astronauts used the crater to simulate the moon's surface before the mission.
Did you go to the states primarily to go there?

0le

Has anyone read Fred Hoyle "The nature of the universe"? I picked this book up for 10p from a university library but never got around to reading it. Is it any good?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Has anyone read Fred Hoyle "The nature of the universe"? I picked this book up for 10p from a university library but never got around to reading it. Is it any good?
I have not read that book. But Fred Hoyle was a firm believer in the universe being constant and never changing. And interestingly, when Hubble discovered that all of the galaxies were moving apart, leading to the conclusion that our universe was expanding and therefore must have had a beginning, it was Hoyle who is credited with the words Big Bang.