Astronomy & Space Exploration

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Looked at the sky, looked like nothing out of the ordinary. Took a photo and the sky was transformed into some rainbow effect? Is this how the northern lights always is? Only viewable through a lens? Abit of a let down whilst also kinda cool.
No, further north in the arctic circle you can see it with the naked eye. But for me when I saw it in Iceland it mostly looked greenish/grey

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Typical. Strongest aurora in years and I'm South England. feck off.

saivet

Looked at the sky, looked like nothing out of the ordinary. Took a photo and the sky was transformed into some rainbow effect? Is this how the northern lights always is? Only viewable through a lens? Abit of a let down whilst also kinda cool.
Yeah it's a bit of a let down as you see pictures online yet what you see with your eyes isn't the same. Apparently it can look spectacular but I've not seen them look overly impressive with the naked eye. I saw them last night and also in Iceland and both times, it's cool but to the visible eye, not all that special a sight.

The most interesting thing I've seen was in Bali, on their day of silence. Long story short, it's a day whereby you have to stay indoors all day and at night, no one on the island is allowed to put their lights on. No cars or bikes on the streets and no flights either.

It's the opposite whereby pictures sell it short, the most amazing view of the stars I've ever had.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Yeah it's a bit of a let down as you see pictures online yet what you see with your eyes isn't the same. Apparently it can look spectacular but I've not seen them look overly impressive with the naked eye. I saw them last night and also in Iceland and both times, it's cool but to the visible eye, not all that special a sight.

The most interesting thing I've seen was in Bali, on their day of silence. Long story short, it's a day whereby you have to stay indoors all day and at night, no one on the island is allowed to put their lights on. No cars or bikes on the streets and no flights either.

It's the opposite whereby pictures sell it short, the most amazing view of the stars I've ever had.
The night sky was my takeaway when I saw the aurora in Iceland. It was amazing seeing a properly dark sky with all the starts and being able to see the Milky Way. The lights were a bit of a bonus compared to that, glad I ticked it off the bucket list but the night sky is what stuck with me more

nimic

something nice
Scout

They are spectacular, but you have to be in a place where you can really see them. They can absolutely be as vivid as what you see in photos and videos. Sometimes they move around a lot as well (probably much more than you're imagining I mean when I say a lot), which is amazing.

saivet

They are spectacular, but you have to be in a place where you can really see them. They can absolutely be as vivid as what you see in photos and videos. Sometimes they move around a lot as well (probably much more than you're imagining I mean when I say a lot), which is amazing.
I don't doubt that, I hope to one day see them in it's full glory!

giggs-beckham

Clueless
The night sky was my takeaway when I saw the aurora in Iceland. It was amazing seeing a properly dark sky with all the starts and being able to see the Milky Way. The lights were a bit of a bonus compared to that, glad I ticked it off the bucket list but the night sky is what stuck with me more
Jealous, congrats