g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

"At a big club, I would have been sacked" - Pep

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
The funny thing about this, is that it's true, yet it's going to rub people the wrong way.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
It's somewhat surreal to see a manager that almost openly hates the club he's managing.

He's thrown more digs at City than any rival manager has this season.

clarkydaz

It's somewhat surreal to see a manager that almost openly hates the club he's managing.

He's thrown more digs at City than any rival manager has this season.
its true, he cant hide how let down he is. city fans should not turn up in protest. But maybe the message wouldnt hit home

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
its true, he cant hide how let down he is. city fans should not turn up in protest. But maybe the message wouldnt hit home
Don't they pretty much do this now?

Eddy_JukeZ

Also said he prefers playing well over winning trophies.

Pretty odd. Pep's been very weird this season.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
It's a bizarre comment to laugh at - a few others have nailed this and already said he'd still be the manager at United after a season like this, or instead he could be 6th. Realistically United could be going into next season without CL football and their is still zero danger of Mourinho being fired.

United are equally miles away from RM and Bayern now in terms of being able to demand that highest level of performance from everyone involved, including the manager. Neither of us are even close to competing for the CL. Pep just saying it how it is, and he's right. He'd have been fired after the Monaco away game at Madrid.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It's a bizarre comment to laugh at - a few others have nailed this and already said he'd still be the manager at United after a season like this, or instead he could be 6th. Realistically United could be going into next season without CL football and their is still zero danger of Mourinho being fired.

United are equally miles away from RM and Bayern now in terms of being able to demand that highest level of performance from everyone involved, including the manager. Neither of us are even close to competing for the CL. Pep just saying it how it is, and he's right. He'd have been fired after the Monaco away game at Madrid.
Yeah, but at least we qualify as a big club. Hehe

AndyJ1985

I always get the impression his heart isn't really in it. But City are a shithouse club of course so it's not surprising.

RoyH1

Intentional or not, that's a hilarious quote from Pep.
When I first read it I was sure he'd been misquoted.
Maybe a language confusion? Maybe what he thinks in catalan doesn't come out the right way in English?
If not, he's just told the sheiks their club is small time

Trizy

Of course he'd be sacked if he finished 4th in Italy,Germany or Spain. Two of those leagues are 1 horse leagues and the other is a 2 horse league.

He just hates City :lol:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I do enjoy Joe little respect he seems to have for the City fans. Other managers at least provide lip service. :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive

No one is laughing at the point he's making its the fact he's actually said it to the press.

Mourinho would never dream of suggesting United aren't a big club etc. Pep doesn't seem to care all that much.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Nah, there's nothing bizarre about it, forget the ifs/buts and comparisons, your manager just said you're not a big club. That's funny. Because it's true.

AXVnee7

Pep the sniper :D

He can say literally whatever he wants and the City fans are forced to lap it up as he's bigger than their club.

cyberman

Utd have nothing to do with this

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

With regards to performance on the pitch we are are a fair way off the standard of the aforementioned, but in terms of size, stature and historical value, United are equally as significant. Truth is, Pep wouldn't have said that if he were manager of United.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Guardiola has acknowledged that while the talent exists in the academy, the competition in the development league is not strong enough leaving the gap between that and the first team too large to be ready - drawing comparisons to how much more competitive the Segunda is in Spain. He is not alone in this thinking

togg

He's going to regret saying it, it coming out that way. Whatever the truth in the fact that Manchester City have a bit to go before they can be called one of the so called 'big clubs' which is hugely based on not only support but history, it's certainly not something any fan really wants to hear from the Manager. In truth, he's lived a charmed life manager wise with the players he's had in the past, this is a far bigger challenge and a bigger barometer of his ability. Also, he's certainly not suggesting, in my opinion, that sacking managers at the clubs he alluded to is the right thing to do either!

RD76

Tbf, I think most of us thought that Pep would struggle this season. The PL isn't a one horse race and he would seriously test himself as a coach.

One thing I didn't expect was him not toeing the city line (massive club etc). I didn't think he'd come out with some of the stuff in the media that he has done, where he's kind of criticised the fans and implied that they're not all that.

This interview just reaffirms that he's really only here for the money, he's found it too difficult and isn't bothered if he's not there next season. He will be IMO, but the pressure will be greater than it has been. Will be interesting to see who he brings in.

He's right in that he would have been sacked at those clubs. However, we wouldn't have sacked him either, but we are much more in a transitional period than they are. Jose had way more work to do with the squad here than Pep has there. All he had to do was sort out that defence and get a decent 'keeper.

I'm still not convinced by him as a coach. He makes some bizarre decisions to make himself look like a genius (it worked at Barca and Bayern, but he could get away with it). It hasn't at city and he will end up at PSG. This will be his only job in England I think.

arthurka

To be fair that's damning of us too. If he got 4th for us he wouldn't have been sacked too.
In our defense we have a chance to win our second trophy plus the C Shield.. But I can´t see anyone of us being happy with the position we are in.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
With regards to performance on the pitch we are are a fair way off the standard of the aforementioned, but in terms of size, stature and historical value, United are equally as significant. Truth is, Pep wouldn't have said that if he were manager of United.
Probably wouldn't look like he was on suicide watch all season either.

Alabaster Codify7

If, and when, Pep leaves I reckon City fans are gonna explode. He's made several comments this season that would anger such paranoid fans with an inferiority complex and this one is just the icing on the cake.

Deep down, I reckon a lot of them are disappointed with his actual managerial performance, too.

When he leaves they'll explode on him, they're just refusing to criticise him aloud at the moment. But inside, they. are. stewing.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I wouldn't sack him, but this season has been a wake up call for him, showing very clearly that he was too wedded to a system that only works if all the other teams in the division can't get the ball off you so it's ok not really playing much of a defence. Shows to my mind that he has been more than a bit spoilt with the teams he inherited at Barca and Bayern. Real test begins to see if he can lift a team up to the top level from just below. He didn't do it this season but I think he has learnt a good bit, and he's smart.

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
How often has it happened that a manager is so much bigger than a club that he can get away with pretty much anything he says?

SteveTheRed

He must secretly be hating it. Going from managing Barcelona, where you are a club legend turned manager winning trebles,, playing the best football....and then even going to Bayern, a giant club which a fantastic atmosphere and history. And then you find yourself at City where they can barely fill a stadium and have club legends such an Richard Dunne

Noc-Z

ffs
Just logged on to see if there was a thread after reading this quote on BBC. It's atrocious! Doesn't matter what way you spin it, he's calling his current club a small club. Ridiculous. I'd sack him for saying it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ragrets, he's had a few...

rocks13

Is this so different from Jose's prioritisation of the Europa League, a competition he previously considered a failure for Chelsea?