Athletics World Championships 2019

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Final race of 800m heptathlon coming soon with gold for Katarina Johnson-Thompson likely.

Last edited:

Hephaestus

Just short of 7000 most likely but a fantastic effort and a new national record.

freeurmind

weak willed
Wow, how did Kipruto win that? So close on the line. Class is permanent.

Dan

World Record in the Women’s 400m hurdles tonight, reckon sub 52s will be possibility.

Barshim just makes the high jump seem so effortless, he glided over that 2.37m winning jump.

Gardiner dominated that 400m, good time too.

RedFish

Gutted for Laura Muir. What does she have to do to get on the podium???!! An elite athlete but doesn't have the outdoor medal to show for it....yet!

Special from Hassan.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I think there’ll be some doping charges which could retroactively change medal positions for some races.
The fallout from Salazar's ban will have an impact but so far it’s been pretty quiet on that front.
The US men’s 4x100 team are another where there’s bound to be suspicion.

0le

I think there’ll be some doping charges which could retroactively change medal positions for some races.
The fallout from Salazar's ban will have an impact but so far it’s been pretty quiet on that front.
The US men’s 4x100 team are another where there’s bound to be suspicion.
You really can't watch any of these athletes without some doubt in the back of your mind. A real shame.

Walters_19_MuFc

Only 5 medals (2 gold and 3 silvers) in this years world championships. Great that Dina Asher-Smith and Katarina Johnson-Thompson won their first gold and made history, but all in all, that's nowhere near good enough, in my opinion.

Countries like Jamaica, with a population of only 2.89 million, in comparison to our 66 million, have more medals then us. And before people say that's because they're great at the running events, a third of Jamaica's medals came in a non track event.

Going forward, we need to be producing better talent. Either that, or having a better eye when it comes to scouting youngsters.

EDIT:

As I was writing this, it was said that the women's 4x400 relay received bronze as Jamaica were disqualified. However, I still maintain that we need to be better!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
You really can't watch any of these athletes without some doubt in the back of your mind. A real shame.
Surely some are clean?
At what point does it become a waste of time watching this sport?
There’s a lot of money involved and of course that in and of itself creates the environment for cheating but the athletics boards need to keep pushing or just allow doping.
The TDF suffered a lot after Lance Armstrong and if it’s proven that Sky team was doping I fear it’d kill the sport, at least for a while.
I don’t know the solution, plus I’m pissed off at Utd right now too so that doesn’t help.

Copa Mundial

Only 5 medals (2 gold and 3 silvers) in this years world championships. Great that Dina Asher-Smith and Katarina Johnson-Thompson won their first gold and made history, but all in all, that's nowhere near good enough, in my opinion.

Countries like Jamaica, with a population of only 2.89 million, in comparison to our 66 million, have more medals then us. And before people say that's because they're great at the running events, a third of Jamaica's medals came in a non track event.

Going forward, we need to be producing better talent. Either that, or having a better eye when it comes to scouting youngsters.

EDIT:

As I was writing this, it was said that the women's 4x400 relay received bronze as Jamaica were disqualified. However, I still maintain that we need to be better!
My take on this is that as a country we excel (relative to other countries such as Jamaica) in a huge number of different sports.

We have outstanding football, rugby (league and Union), cricket and cycling teams, and have a good pool of swimming and gymnastic talent, but the obvious downside being that so much of our top sporting talent is diluted across so many different sports.

Other than athletics the only other sport Jamaica excel in is cricket.

New Zealand are another example whereby they pool most of their quality and resources into one sport i.e rugby at the expense of other sports (although their cricket team did perform well at the world cup).

I wonder how many potentially world class British athletes have been lost to other sports / teams.

Walters_19_MuFc

My take on this is that as a country we excel (relative to other countries such as Jamaica) in a huge number of different sports.

We have outstanding football, rugby (league and Union), cricket and cycling teams, and have a good pool of swimming and gymnastic talent, but the obvious downside being that so much of our top sporting talent is diluted across so many different sports.

Other than athletics the only other sport Jamaica excel in is cricket.

New Zealand are another example whereby they pool most of their quality and resources into one sport i.e rugby at the expense of other sports (although their cricket team did perform well at the world cup).

I wonder how many potentially world class British athletes have been lost to other sports / teams.
Good point.