Attack vs Midfield vs Defence

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So which team that would go higher in the League (in a season long)?

Team A: Great attack, mediocre hardworker midfield and defence
Team M: Great midfield, mediocre hardworker elsewhere
Team D: Great defence, mediocre hardworker elsewhere.

EDIT: Mod, should this thread here or at Football Forum?

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Team ATTACK

Ronaldo -- Messi
Ronaldinho

Pereira -- Fellaini -- Fred

Rojo -- Jones - Bailly - Young
Schmeichel

Team MIDFIELD

Guivarc'h -- Heskey
Lingard

Matthaus
Rijkaard ------ Falcao

Schmeichel

Team DEFENCE

Guivarc'h -- Heskey
Lingard

Maldini -- Baresi - Kohler - Cafu
Schmeichel​

Last edited:

AgentP

The team with the best attack would finish highest among the three because on a good day, that front 3 will win matches on it's own. They will be especially deadly against the mid-table teams as their defenders won't be able to handle their quality.

The team with the best defense will finish last as they will be deprived of possession and the poor quality of their forwards will make them ineffective on the counter as well.

The team with the best midfield will control possession and create decent chances for its forwards who may or may not score from them. They'll be the most consistent team and deliver decent performances every game.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Team midfield would win, even the likes of Messi and Ronaldo struggle when their team can’t string any passes together.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Of those 3? Team midfield. Maradona and Matthaus can score like strikers. The Ronaldos and Messi can't help the defence

Team defence is comfortably the worst of the 3

EDIT: Ah it's not who wins but finishes higher. Then it's a toss up between attack and midfield. Iprobably i'd go with attack

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Team attack cos it will take atleast 7 players to contain all messi ronaldo and ronaldino. Even if felliani fails to stop the ball, it will bounce off his arse and cross over the line.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Of those 3? Team midfield. Maradona and Matthaus can score like strikers. The Ronaldos and Messi can't help the defence

Team defence is comfortably the worst of the 3

EDIT: Ah it's not who wins but finishes higher. Then it's a toss up between attack and midfield. Iprobably i'd go with attack
Yeh. It's about who is probably finish higher in the League. I can't decide between team midfield and attack. I'd prefer to watch team attack though.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Team A: Great attack, mediocre hardworker midfield and defence
Team M: Great midfield, mediocre hardworker else
Team D: Great defence, mediocre hardworker else.

So which team that would go higher in the League?

EDIT: Mod, should this thread here or at Football Forum?
If it's the PL where goal difference matters then the team with the better attack

Skills

Snitch
Great attacks are a lot more valuable than great defences.

Skills

Snitch
So where does "great teams are built from the back" come to?
It's a load of bollocks. I reckon it was one of those statements Fergie just threw out on a wim, but the evidence suggests he never believed it.

His solution to winning a title in his last season was signing Robin Van Persie, rather than strengthening the defence that conceded 4 to Everton to lose him the title. Fergies teams were seldom outscored in the league.

People use Kevin Keegan's Newcastle as an example where they fail to notice that Fergies United always outscored them, but Newcastle had a better performing defence in one of those seasons.

Eddy_JukeZ

Team attack.

Messi and Ronaldo themselves guarantee you 70 league goals.

fps

Of those, the attack team. This is partly because the defence actually isn't that bad, if they're all fully fit and at their best ages, which presumably they are. The only real issue is a slightly odd lack of a CF in the attack there. Both Ronaldo and Messi in their primes played as inverted wingers, and Ronaldinho played inverted winger too.

Ultimately, the nerfed attack you've chosen is so bad that even with that midfield I think it would be a less effective team.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Attack.

See Liverpool two seasons ago. If they'd played less gung ho once going up by a few they'd have been in better shape at the end of that season.

mad1max954

Attack gets you higher up in the league definitely, but not consistent enough to win anything.

Defense makes you hard to beat but your not going to score enough. maybe a good cup run.

Midfield - you might play decent football but you dont score enough and concede too many. comfortably the worst I think. Though with the players you have used, Maradona is more of a striker so that is debatable in itself - change that to Roy Keane or someone and its definitely worse.

We didnt have a central midfield for years under Fergie and we still won!

Bwuk

Defence.

Look at Liverpool for example. They were tremendous going forward but always leaked goals.

If you have a top class defence, you'll win trophies.

Do you think the vast majority of sides in this league would have enough about them to score vs that defence.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
People were getting over excited about our defence after the Chelsea game. It counted for nothing against Palace where our attack didn't have enough quality to break them down. "Defence wins titles" is a myth.

Anustart89

People were getting over excited about our defence after the Chelsea game. It counted for nothing against Palace where our attack didn't have enough quality to break them down. "Defence wins titles" is a myth.
Same against Wolves where we dominated possession in the first half yet came away with pretty much feck all to show for it. They put us under pressure for five minutes and snatch a draw. We should've been 3-0 up before they scored if we had any idea what to do against a team sitting back with the amount of possession we had.

Bwuk

Our defence still isn't particularly good though.

Superunknown

I would go with Team Attack. They are three of the best players who can score from unlikely positions or can create things from very little. I would go with Team Midfield after that. As great as Team Defence is, they would be under constant pressure, especially without a great midfield to shield in front of them. Not only that, but that team would also score very few goals. That front three in Team Attack would rip apart every other team on the planet, especially if each player was in his prime. Ronaldinho was frightening by himself, imagine him interchanging with Ronaldo and Messi! :houllier:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's a load of bollocks. I reckon it was one of those statements Fergie just threw out on a wim, but the evidence suggests he never believed it.

His solution to winning a title in his last season was signing Robin Van Persie, rather than strengthening the defence that conceded 4 to Everton to lose him the title. Fergies teams were seldom outscored in the league.

People use Kevin Keegan's Newcastle as an example where they fail to notice that Fergies United always outscored them, but Newcastle had a better performing defence in one of those seasons.
Good point about van Persie.

I remember Liverpool went to two CL Finals under Benitez and went neck to neck with us on the League, with that awful defence. But they had Alonso and Masch/Hamann in midfield, and Gerrard in attack. And I'm not sure Carragher was a better CB than Smalling either.

2005 CL Final (Winner)

2007 CL Final (lost 2-1)

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ultimately, the nerfed attack you've chosen is so bad that even with that midfield I think it would be a less effective team.
Guivarc'h was the leading striker of WC winning team. Heskey had 67 England caps (played in 2 World Cups and 1 Euro). Lingard is a regular England NT and current No. 10 for United.

fps

Guivarc'h was the leading striker of WC winning team. Heskey had 67 England caps (played in 2 World Cups and 1 Euro). Lingard is a regular England NT and current No. 10 for United.
France won the World Cup despite Guivarch, not because of him. Heskey is the amazing non-scoring forward. Lingard has no PL goals or assists for a year. The latter two especially say more about the kindness of managers.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Team ATTACK

Ronaldo -- Messi
Ronaldinho

Schmeichel

Team MIDFIELD

Guivarc'h -- Heskey
Lingard

Matthaus
Rijkaard ------ Falcao

Schmeichel

Team DEFENCE

Guivarc'h -- Heskey
Lingard

Maldini -- Baresi - Kohler - Cafu
Schmeichel​
Team attack all day long. Messi is obviously great, Ronaldinho was great but Ronaldo is a one man scoring machine. Those 3 would win you a league every year.