Auction Draft QF4 : Chesterlestreet vs NoPace

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Chesterlestreet's Tactics

Players/specifics/tactical:

GK:

Oliver Kahn. Needs no introduction. One of the best goal keepers ever. A natural leader on the pitch to boot. He will give the lads ahead of him a piece of his mind if they even dream about slacking.

The back four:

Paul McGrath

Struggled with plenty off the pitch. Struggled with very little on it. This is a man who, well past his prime, completely neutralized Roberto Baggio in one of the greatest defensive performances in World Cup history. Roy Keane on that magnificent performance:

“Known for his poise, his ability on the ball, his unique gift for reading the game, Paul displayed these qualities on this day. One other huge asset was his courage. When the Italians did get sight of the goal, Paul presented a final, insurmountable obstacle. Paul inspired us as much as in the end he demoralised Roberto Baggio and the other Italian players.”

When asked in a TV studio once who their toughest ever opponent was, both Ian Rush and John Aldridge answered the same: “Franco Baresi and Paul McGrath”.

I'll leave the final word to Fergie:

“He was an exceptionally skilful and stylish defender, with marvellous innate athleticism, a man whose abilities stood comparison with any central defender in the game.”

His partner here is Guido Buchwald, a brilliant defender and an exceptional marker. The fact that he took Maradona himself out of the 1990 World Cup final speaks volumes. With McGrath and Buchwald as my central partnership I'm not trembling at the prospect of meeting anyone. Messi? Bring him on. He'll have his work cut out for him.

Cabrini is one of the best side backs ever. As I'm sure you all know. I don't think I need to elaborate too much about his virtues. He's the latter day Facchetti, a player who instinctively knows when to sit back and when to join the attack. And he looks like a world beater when doing either.

Jorginho has been selected over Bezsonov for this match. The 1994 World Champion is an excellent fullback, needless to say – but so is Beszonov. The reason I prefer the Brazilian here is that I can use a bit of extra steel – and nastiness, to put it bluntly – when facing an attacking trio consisting of Messi, Müller and Luis Suarez. The latter is nasty enough – full of tricks and guile. Jorginho is a more dedicated tracker/marker than Bezsonov – more ruthless, with a few tricks of his own he can put to good use against Suarez.

The midfielders:

The new man here is none other than Dunga, captain of Brazil's 1994 WC winning side. Dunga's role is similar to that of Petit in the last match. He will be the sitter, the anchor, primarily. His ability on the ball is superior to Petit's, however – and he is a better passer. Dunga even has a pretty wicked long pass in his locker should the opportunity to hit one – at Littbarski or Francescoli, say, or at a forward bombing fullback – present itself.

Robson repeats his role (I refer you to last match's thread for more boasting about Robbo's qualities, I think most of you know him pretty well anyway), as do all the others not mentioned yet.

Dunga sits, Robson plays box-to-box and Valderrama orchestrates and pulls the strings.

As for the two attacking midfielders, one to the left, the other to the right, as per default – they both roam freely. Littbarski will appear to be more of a wide midfielder at times than Francescoli, perhaps – I feel that a more “winger like” role comes naturally to Littbarski. Francescoli, on the other hand, will resemble a second striker at times, more of a direct threat in the box, working closer to the striker, feeding him short passes, looking to combine to deadly effect. He will also, however, be looking to cause problems for the opponent's right back – who will quickly realize that stretching the defence, seeking to carry the ball down the wing, comes naturally to the Uruguayan wizard.

But I repeat what I said repeatedly in the last match – these attacking midfielders, both highly skilful, both master dribblers and both goal scorers (Francescoli in the extreme – but it should be stressed that Littbarski too has an excellent record for a non-striker), will operate in free roles. Littbarski isn't a winger here, nor is Francescoli a support striker – they will resemble such roles at times, but their ultimate freedom to get involved where it will have the greatest impact is a basic premise of my system. And to me the “neither fish nor fowl” status of both players is a great strength. I don't need fish on my team – nor fowl. I need cats – big cats. And cobras.

Striker:

I still don't know who the hell this bloke is. But he seemed to do alright in the last match. So I guess he deserves to start again. His role is self-explanatory. He leads the line and concentrates on grabbing a goal or three.

For more info/discussion/praise on/for Valderrama, I refer you again to last match's thread. His role in this match will be identical to the one he played last time around - as stated above.

Overall approach: Let 'em all play. They know what to do. Their roles suit them perfectly.

I don't intend to take any particular measures here. I'll let NoPace come at me. My back four is strong. Being up against Messi – supported by Suarez and Müller – won't be easy. But I have every confidence in Buchwald and McGrath. As I have every confidence that Cabrini won't be caught out to let Müller get anything for free – and that Jorginho will stay close to Suarez when required.

Will NoPace create chances here? Yes, I suspect he will – he's playing Messi up front, he's a dangerous player and over the course of ninety minutes he'll get his chances. That doesn't worry me. I don't depend on controlling the match for the full ninety, nor on shutting up shop completely. If he scores once, I'll score twice. If I have to win 5-4 that's fine by me – but I will win.

My attacking power is greater than his and my defence is rock solid – they won't give him anything for free.

Key points: balance, right men in right roles, goal threat.

TEAM CHESTERLESTREET

TEAM NOPACE

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
NoPace's Tactics

Offensively
It's all about getting the best of Messi here. So no Ibra-style 9 to get in his way, just intelligent complimentary attackers who can play anywhere across the line.

He'll start as a false 9 here with Muller and Suarez looking to get in behind from his passes, combine with him for 1-2's and attract enough attention to give him less men to have to dribble past. He'll start down the middle, but these 3 attackers are all best left to find gaps themselves and if Buchwald is doing the job on him he did on a jaded Maradona in the 1990 World Cup, then Messi can play on the right with Muller going to the left and Suarez up front.

I've brought in Muller, the perfect player to find the gaps created by Suarez and Messi's movement, and a good aerial threat for my wonderful fullbacks. Scored 10 goals and had 7 assists in 17 starts from the right for Munich this year and of course won the Golden Boot at the 2010 World Cup playing wide, which only Lato in 74 and Stoichkov in 94 have done in the past 10 World Cups.

Suarez has an excellent goal scoring ecord internationally (38 in 77) and at club level (80 in 110 for Ajaz, 69 in 110 for Liverpool). He'll combine well with Messi, give me a 2nd fantastic dribbler and his passing is excellent. He won MVP at the 2011 Copa America, scoring both goals in the semi-final win and the winning goal in the final. His job here is to work off of Messi, not be the main man here, and I think he'll revel in that. If Popescu starts, he should in particular have trouble with Suarez's ability to run at him. Barcelona conceded 48 goals in his 2nd of 2 seasons there, costing them the league.

The 2nd phase of my attack is also excellent. From the middle, Xavi and Vidal both hit double digit goals in their best seasons, with Xavi specializing in brilliant late runs in big games for both Spain and Barcelona. Vidal will be asked to run all out, knowing that Simeone will come on for him when he's knackered. From out wide, Robert Carlos and Manuel Amoros both made incredible offensive contributions in World Cups.

3 of my 4 defenders were excellent passers, with only Campbell a bit average, and with Busquets and Xavi in the midfield, there will always be options for them.

Defensively, I've got to contend with Ronaldo, but I think Campbell is the kind of all-around defensive talent who would do better than most and Hansen's long strides mean he won't be outrun either. It's really more about limiting Ronaldo's opportunities, and I think I'm well suited to doing that by having the technically superior team. Petit and Robson were good passers but not creatively brilliant. Dunga similar if he plays. Valderrama was a wonderful, creative passer, but I think he'd struggle to get on the ball and create at this highest of level.

Chester has 2 very intelligent wingers but with me carrying the balance of play, I think they'll be forced to defend far more than they want. Roberto Carlos and Amoros are not the kind of players you can just let go, and they have the athleticism to get back. Neither were exploited often by wingers at their best, even with their attacking style.

Substitutions:
Diego Simeone excelled at disrupting the opponent and if my team isn't playing well he'll come in, kick people, get someone sent off and help keep Littbarski and Francescoli from cutting inside. He'll come on for Vidal after about an hour, most likely.

Reuter was a speedster and can potentially come in with 20-25 minutes to go for Amoros and have the energy to threaten up the field and get back too.

My Case in a Nutshell:
I have a superior back 5 (better RB and LB, similar CB's, Busquets a better DM than Petit) and a higher-scoring and equally versatile front 3.

Both teams have excellent front trios, but Messi at his best has been a tad better than Ronaldo was at his (particularly when taking into account passing) and the main playmakers, Xavi and Valderrama is a mismatch. If Valderrama is dropped and Robson is pushed up, then you've got to question the creativity in Chester's midfield.

My team has more goals in it, statistically, and Messi-Xavi-Busquets is a proven partnership that dominated everyone at their peak, and they have technically excellent, aggressive players who will relish their complimentary roles here in Muller, Suarez and Vidal.

I don't think either team has the defensive quality needed to keep the other off the scoresheet, but I think my Barcelona trio, surrounded by the athletic, technically solid players I've brought in alongside them means I've got the more likely chance to get 2 or 3 here.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Aldo Thanks for setting it up, my man.

@NoPace Good and intelligent write-up there - should be a good match, I think. We're both intent on attacking here, it seems! Good luck, man.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm heading out on some business now, so I'll let my lads play a bit in the meantime. Will be back later tonight to check on things, of course.

NoPace

Couple things:

1) Amoros is more narrow and deeper than Roberto Carlos on the graphic because I`m concerned about Francescoli being slipped through by Valderrama or Robson.

2) Seeing how Chester has his midfield, I think I`ve got a clear advantage there. Robson vs Vidal should be a fantastic battle of two all-around terrors, but Xavi vs Dunga and especially Busquets vs Valderrama look too be in my favour.

3) It`s going to be an open game, and I think my team is more athletic.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
@NoPace I'm not quite clear how you plan to play this, there's a bunch of different styles that may or may not work but don't want to make stuff up here. I understand the part about the movement of the front three but I'm unclear on the platform. Neither Suárez, nor Müller, nor Vidal are anything like Iniesta so suddenly I don't know if you are going for posession or spraying passes, or running around with the ball... How are you dictating play and how are you ensuring the game is played in your terms?

NoPace

@antohan
Not Tiki-Taka. More direct.

The platform is the passing of Hansen and Busquets centrally and the passing and ball-carrying of Amoros and Carlos, which should ensure that Xavi, Messi and Suarez all get on the ball. Vidal looking more to spring forward and combine with the attackers after a Xavi, Busquets, Hansen, Carlos or Amoros pass has found their feet.

I`m dictating play by virtue the fact that Xavi will come deep than Dunga prefers and Valderrama is a poor choice to try to disposses Busquets-Xavi deeper in midfield.

But yeah, lots of through balls to Suarez, Muller and Messi in the first wave and then Xavi, Vidal or Roberto Carlos in the second. By playing directly, I think Chester`s counters will be a bit less dangerous, since most attacks won`t have me camped out in his half.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Nopace's side looks fantastic - that three works wonderfully well.

Messi speaks for himself but Suarez really is perfect for that left inside forward role. He'll be a huge threat here running in behind Jorginho, latching onto those passes from Xavi or just picking it up deep and running at the defence.

The midfield also looks complimentary, Vidal slots in there nicely and gives that midfield a bite and physicality sometimes missing for Barcelona.

Chester's team is good as well, though I'm less sure how they will play. Valderrama slipping passes through to a prime Ronaldo is a lovely combination, and Dunga gives Robson the platform to affect the game offensively.

Tough but I'm leaning towards NoPace - looks the more coherent side and has a wee bit more quality in my opinion.

Last edited:

antohan

@antohan
Not Tiki-Taka. More direct.

The platform is the passing of Hansen and Busquets centrally and the passing and ball-carrying of Amoros and Carlos, which should ensure that Xavi, Messi and Suarez all get on the ball. Vidal looking more to spring forward and combine with the attackers after a Xavi, Busquets, Hansen, Carlos or Amoros pass has found their feet.

I`m dictating play by virtue the fact that Xavi will come deep than Dunga prefers and Valderrama is a poor choice to try to disposses Busquets-Xavi deeper in midfield.

But yeah, lots of through balls to Suarez, Muller and Messi in the first wave and then Xavi, Vidal or Roberto Carlos in the second. By playing directly, I think Chester`s counters will be a bit less dangerous, since most attacks won`t have me camped out in his half.
Hmmm... Yeah, that sounds more like what I had in mind. I think you are underrating Dunga and Valderrama a bit there but I do rate Busquets' passing, think he will be more important than Xavi here (I wonder why you didn't get Guardiola in the first place TBH). I would actually expect Valderrama to play deeper than is made out in the formation graphic and not necessarily match you man for man, which of course gives Busquets a lot of freedom and lends itself to a rather more direct game. Now I don't think that would be because Valderrama is lazy or not a match for Busquets, but to free himself up to do his own thing as well. Again "I don't care what you do, I'll just do it my own way and better" kinda mentality.

I rate Chester's front three higher than yours, man for man, each and every one of them, but it is fair to say you have a better platform from back to front. I would also expect Cabrini to have as good if not a better game than Carlos. I don't really rate Jorginho much though and can see him struggling on that flank to such an extent it could make Suárez as dangerous as Francescoli, and I don't say that lightly. I trust Chester's pair to deal with Messi better than yours with Ronaldo but the absence of the sort of delivery you can get from Hansen is a worry. I'm just not seeing how Chester is getting the ball upfield quickly and regularly enough while I can clearly see that with you. Regular service vs. sharper teeth...

Tough one, I'll sit it out and review what subs you guys have available.

NoPace

Hmmm... Yeah, that sounds more like what I had in mind. I think you are underrating Dunga and Valderrama a bit there but I do rate Busquets' passing, think he will be more important than Xavi here (I wonder why you didn't get Guardiola in the first place TBH). I would actually expect Valderrama to play deeper than is made out in the formation graphic and not necessarily match you man for man, which of course gives Busquets a lot of freedom and lends itself to a rather more direct game. Now I don't think that would be because Valderrama is lazy or not a match for Busquets, but to free himself up to do his own thing as well. Again "I don't care what you do, I'll just do it my own way and better" kinda mentality.

I rate Chester's front three higher than yours, man for man, each and every one of them, but it is fair to say you have a better platform from back to front. I would also expect Cabrini to have as good if not a better game than Carlos. I don't really rate Jorginho much though and can see him struggling on that flank to such an extent it could make Suárez as dangerous as Francescoli, and I don't say that lightly. I trust Chester's pair to deal with Messi better than yours with Ronaldo but the absence of the sort of delivery you can get from Hansen is a worry. I'm just not seeing how Chester is getting the ball upfield quickly and regularly enough while I can clearly see that with you. Regular service vs. sharper teeth...

Tough one, I'll sit it out and review what subs you guys have available.
1. I think Francescoli was better than Suarez, but I`d have Messi above Ronaldo and Muller slightly ahead of Littbarski, although comparing them is a bit silly since they`re up against different defenders with different providers.

2. I definitely prefer Busquets to Guardiola. You have to defend in this kind of tournament, where even the weakest team has incredible quality and while Busquets isn`t as likely to play Muller or Suarez in as Guardiola would be, he`ll do a much better job at ensuring Ronaldo and Francescoli don`t get too many chances to attack my D.

3. I think Dunga was a very good DM for Brazil, but his club career wasn`t special and Xavi in his prime was just a monster, so I think there`s daylight there.

antohan

1 vote in 3 hours :lol:
It's bloody difficult, that's why, and there's so much scope for throwing curveballs...

Chester has two other rightbacks, Popescu and Aldair, Petit, Rocheteau and Careca on the bench. It's tough because many of those are relative draft newbies, but I wonder if he wouldn't be better off with Popescu as libero linking the defence and midfield. I think once on the ball Valderrama and that front three would tear NoPace apart, but how does the ball get to him? Maybe you need that link between defence and midfield and sacrificing some of Enzo's goals to have him as the enganche. After all, Cabrini was the sole provider of width down the left for Juve, with Boniek typically starting on the right and roaming from right to left but primarily left and centre.

I'm not sure really, I love the concept as it is but it places a huge burden on Valderrama having the game of his life.

NoPace

If Valderrama looks in form, though, I have Simeone to come on and kick him a bunch!

Vidal can be pushed up where he plays for Chile (4 in his last 5 for them) with whichever of Suarez or Muller looks less sharp coming off.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
1 vote in 3 hours :lol:
:lol: Yeah - let's hope it stays that way. Then I'll trow in a vote myself tomorrow and nick it in the 90th minute.

I'm pretty busy with some work here, so my participation will be on and off until tomorrow.

Couple of points, though. How will I get the ball up the pitch to start causing trouble for NoPace? Well, the most obvious answer would be that Dunga is an excellent passer. He can pick up the ball deep and then proceed to a) combine with Robson (who will operate, literally, box to box for the full ninety) or b) hit it long (Dunga could pass it long very well, as mentioned in the write-up). He can also, of course, find Valderrama further upfield. Valderrama is very hard to dispossess - with the ball at his feet he'll draw a freekick or manage to move the ball along. When I start an attack neither Robson nor Dunga - nor Cabrini, nor Littbarski for that matter - will stand still and wait for the ball. They'll involve themselves and make themselves available. I don't need a brilliant pass from my own box in order to get a sequence going. The three central midfielders, to call them that, are all excellent passers of the ball - and excellent one-touch passers at that.

antohan

1. I think Francescoli was better than Suarez, but I`d have Messi above Ronaldo and Muller slightly ahead of Littbarski, although comparing them is a bit silly since they`re up against different defenders with different providers.
Opinions, everyone has one. I prefer Ronaldo as a striker and Littbarski over Müller, but wouldn't swap either to the alternative setup, granted. I am taking into account the defences here, of course. That's why I say Suárez may have as good a game as Francescoli, even when in my mind you could only stop Enzo putting two or three men on him. One on one he pissed all over you, unfortunately for him the rest of the team was so shite no one bothered mark them at all, preferring to hunt him down in packs. :(

2. I definitely prefer Busquets to Guardiola. You have to defend in this kind of tournament, where even the weakest team has incredible quality and while Busquets isn`t as likely to play Muller or Suarez in as Guardiola would be, he`ll do a much better job at ensuring Ronaldo and Francescoli don`t get too many chances to attack my D.
Contrary to what Cruyff would say, Guardiola could defend. He wasn't just there to ping balls. He wasn't a man-marker or great tackler, more a Carrick type that kept the shape, identified areas of danger and moved accordingly to mitigate or intercept. It's fair to say though you may need the more athletic and pressing type here, sure.

3. I think Dunga was a very good DM for Brazil, but his club career wasn`t special and Xavi in his prime was just a monster, so I think there`s daylight there.
Xavi in his prime didn't play direct football like you are playing though. Non tiki-taka Xavi was still a very good player, mind, but the gap with Dunga isn't monstruous in that setting.

antohan

If Valderrama looks in form, though, I have Simeone to come on and kick him a bunch!

Vidal can be pushed up where he plays for Chile (4 in his last 5 for them) with whichever of Suarez or Muller looks less sharp coming off.
Argentina-Colombia back then was typically 1-0, 1-1, 2-1 for either side. Colombia even beat them in the third place playoff in the 1987 Copa in Argentina (no Simeone there, obviously). IIRC the last time Simeone played Valderrama he lost 5-0, in Buenos Aires, so I can see El Pibe winding him up and getting him sent off. :p

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Drama on the sideline! Chester, the team's volatile (and probably not entirely sober, so say the tabloids) manager is furious! He calls Jorginho over after the right back has foolishly tried to bite Luis Suarez, who is far too well versed in that sport to fall victim to the Brazilian's jaws. "Get the feck off, you useless bastard!" the manager shouts. And with that the match is over for the World Cup winning fullback. Volodymir Bezsonov, the legendary Kiev and USSR man steps on to the pitch, muttering to himself: "There you go, you booze hound - I told you I deserved to start." The manager spits on the ground and hisses at the defender: "Shut it, Ivan - now go out there and do your job. And shoot, you hear! Every chance you get, feckin' shoot!"

antohan

:lol: Now we are talking!

By the way, was just tallying up cnut factors:

Kahn+Dunga vs. Suarez+Busquets

Draw.

Stop press! Sol Campbell is complaining they are alll racists. I hear he is upset not to be have been made captain.

Cnut! 3-2 to NoPace then.

antohan

Yeah just like you would :lol:
I always did... as long as you went first...

stalemate.gif if only I could find one not chess-related, I don't understand chess

Oh, here's a good one

antohan

Am I the only one who far prefers goalkeeper at the bottom? Chester's team looks instantly better, and it's not just Bessonov being better than Jorginho.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Drama on the sideline! Chester, the team's volatile (and probably not entirely sober, so say the tabloids) manager is furious! He calls Jorginho over after the right back has foolishly tried to bite Luis Suarez, who is far too well versed in that sport to fall victim to the Brazilian's jaws. "Get the feck off, you useless bastard!" the manager shouts. And with that the match is over for the World Cup winning fullback. Volodymir Bezsonov, the legendary Kiev and USSR man steps on to the pitch, muttering to himself: "There you go, you booze hound - I told you I deserved to start." The manager spits on the ground and hisses at the defender: "Shut it, Ivan - now go out there and do your job. And shoot, you hear! Every chance you get, feckin' shoot!"

You deserve a vote here even if it would be only for your brilliant role-playing :lol:

Moby

Dick
Updated Chester;s formation change in the OP. Off to bed so any changes in the meantime would have to wait till morning to be updated.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What do people here think about Sol in NoPace's team? Am I the only one that feels he would be a little out of place here as NoPace needs someone more mobile here? Or is that just mine subconscious racism speaking?

Annahnomoss

What do people here think about Sol in NoPace's team? Am I the only one that feels he would be a little out of place here as NoPace needs someone more mobile here? Or is that just mine subconscious racism speaking?
Ronaldo has pace, power, dribbling and brilliant off the ball runs. Almost all defenders will come short in one area or the other, it is more about cutting out supply and setting up tactically which affords you to always double up on him.

antohan

I think he is the fish out of water in this game, will be hopeless dealing with Ronaldo, let alone supporting Amoros in dealing with Francescoli, or reading how that front four of Chesterle's will try carve up that defence. By the end of the game his head will be spinning out of control. And don't get me wrong, I usually rate Campbell quite highly as a stopper but he is way out of his depth here IMO.

antohan

Ronaldo has pace, power, dribbling and brilliant off the ball runs. Almost all defenders will come short in one area or the other, it is more about cutting out supply and setting up tactically which affords you to always double up on him.
I do like the Bessonov inclusion though. I don't know what it is with Jorginho but he never impressed me, maybe because I made up my mind on him when he was still a midfielder. Both fullbacks will make a contribution bringing the ball forward, Chesterle is right that Dunga wasn't too bad in his passing, then there's Robbo... and suddenly Littbarski, Valderrama or Enzo getting the ball is a very real possibility.

Those three could play ball man, you are talking about the best Colombian ever, arguably the best Uruguayan (certainly the best at making something happen against the run of play), and Littbarski who was so good he kept me watching Bundesliga for years even when I had long switched to Serie A, but if Koln was playing, I was sure watching. Magical player. And the man receiving all that service is O Fenómeno. feck me, I've made up my mind.

NoPace

Re: Campbell, I wanted an aggresive defender next to Hansen, who was basically a superior Pique (more of a sitter, known for his passing and great pace over long distances) and Campbell was that kind of defender, for me at least. I always thought he made less mistakes than his competitors for England (Rio, Terry, King).

These stats are always dodgy, but apparently he hit higher speeds than anyone in the Prem bar Walcott, and this is from when he was past his athletic prime: http://www.givemesport.com/191697-who-is-footballs-fastest-sprinter

The man started 35 games the season Arsenal went undefeated in the league with Kolo fecking Toure as his partner.

If Toure and Eboue hadn't completely lost the plot when defending late against Barcelona in the 2006 Champions League final, Campbell's incredible performance that game, in which he scored a goal and then defended brilliantly all game with his team down to 10 men, would be remembered as one of the great big-game performances by a defender, like Ramos 2014 CL Final will be.

NoPace

Xavi in his prime didn't play direct football like you are playing though. Non tiki-taka Xavi was still a very good player, mind, but the gap with Dunga isn't monstruous in that setting.
Disagree strongly here. In the 08-09 season with Henry-Etoo-Messi as the front 3 and Barca playing reasonably directly, Xavi led La Liga comfortably with 20 assists and led the CL with 7.

He's gotten much safer and less ambitious in recent years, but prime Xavi created an insane amount of chances.

antohan

Disagree strongly here. In the 08-09 season with Henry-Etoo-Messi as the front 3 and Barca playing reasonably directly, Xavi led La Liga comfortably with 20 assists and led the CL with 7.

He's gotten much safer and less ambitious in recent years, but prime Xavi created an insane amount of chances.
As said, he was a very good player outside tiki-taka but "monster" Xavi, the one that completely dominated games was the one in the tiki-taka setting. Dunga would find tiki taka completely alien, but in this more direct game he will be more comfortable. He doesn't have an easy job, but he won't be out of his depth.

I would be far more worried about stopping Littbarski and Enzo than what Dunga can do to contain Xavi's influence. You would need to look at the likes of Maradona or Messi himself to find a dribbler on par with Littbarski, they were/are more efffective/prolific but they have nothing on him as far as having the ball glued to their feet is concerned.

antohan

feck it, I wonder if people think I'm talking out of my arse here.

Pierre Littbarski dribbling compilation:

NoPace

Brilliant dribbler, but there's a reason Muller's next goal will see him equal Littbarski's scoring total for Germany in roughly 30 fewer games.

antohan

Brilliant dribbler, but there's a reason Muller's next goal will see him equal Littbarski's scoring total for Germany in roughly 30 fewer games.
As I said earlier, different players and you wouldn't swap them, both a better fit for the teams they are in.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Jorginho - the useless twat - was an error of judgement on my part. Thing is, I went for a swap deal of sorts - got Buchwald, whom I wanted. And then Jorginho presented himself as part of that deal - and I immediately came up with the idea of sporting a bit of a cnut out there to do a number or two on Suarez. It's pure sophistry, of course - or hardly even that: cuntishness isn't really the best weapon against a cnut. A stone cold professional is a better match for a cnut than someone who is a bit of cnut himself. It was a foolish, spur of the moment idea which survived into the match itself - combined with the half-assumption that Jorginho would be better rated among scan voters due to him being part of a famous, World Cup winning team.

Apologies to Bezsonov for that. He's faster, smarter and better.

Last edited: