Auction Draft QF4 : Chesterlestreet vs NoPace

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@NoPace Great game, man - I think you handled yourself brilliantly and I feel lucky to have nicked it.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me, much appreciated.

Now, the question is...where to go from here with this set-up...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That's a good point. Hansen and Sol look likely to concede a penalty against Ronaldo. The key for noPace as mazhar put it would be if he would be willing to commit Carlos forward. If his MF with the aid of Messi can control the match, which I think it would, then he can take that risk. It could then be about a 20-30 min blitz where they try to score a couple of goals and then fall back a bit to defend.
This could be key for NoPace, I feel. If his team can gain control of this match (possible, even somewhat likely), then they need to get a goal from that period of sustained pressure.

For Chester, the key would be similar, I feel. Get a goal from sustained pressure, then solidify the foundations and set up for counters.

One thing that really goes against NoPace though is Sol. Sol may face lots of trouble dealing with O Fenomeno, Enzo, Litti, and Robbo.

EDIT: Well...I'm to late with this...I was going to vote for Chester, anyways :devil:

Well done to both Chester and NoPace. Both teams were very good, and kudos to both for writing up very good starting pieces and then elaborating on them.

NoPace

@NoPace Great game, man - I think you handled yourself brilliantly and I feel lucky to have nicked it.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me, much appreciated.

Now, the question is...where to go from here with this set-up...
Yeah, good game. I think you should leave your front 3 and keeper alone, but be willing to look at serious changes elsewhere.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Personally I love your entire frontline. Its got almost every type of threat imaginable - great playmakers, dribblers and finishers, width from Littbarski and goals from midfield from Robbo.
Thanks for that, my man. Yes, the changes I'm looking at here is bolstering up the midfield somewhat - and to keep reinforcing at the back. This means, in all likelihood, dropping a certain behemoth up front - can't upgrade without introducing further TP rated players at this stage. And that means sacrifices.

NoPace

Thanks for that, my man. Yes, the changes I'm looking at here is bolstering up the midfield somewhat - and to keep reinforcing at the back. This means, in all likelihood, dropping a certain behemoth up front - can't upgrade without introducing further TP rated players at this stage. And that means sacrifices.
Who are your TP`s again? Ronaldo, Robson and ?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
That's a bold move mate! Honestly, I think Ronaldo might be the single biggest vote-winner in the draft, even more so than the two Argies. Not that the Keane-Robbo combo you're going for in midfield is anything less than arousing!

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Cabrini is wasted TP points - he wont win you any more votes than Lizarazu

NoPace

I agree with this. I`d probably get the best non-TP LB possible, keep Ronaldo and use your final 3 TP points on a top-class midfielder to go with Robson and, depending on the mids available, either Valderrama or Dunga.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I agree with this. I`d probably get the best non-TP LB possible, keep Ronaldo and use your final 3 TP points on a top-class midfielder to go with Robson and, depending on the mids available, either Valderrama or Dunga.
I totally agree with you chaps.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah, I avoided mentioning him as it would lead to a Littbarski vs. Müller debate when, in fact, Müller doesn't actually do that much defensive work. Workrate and defensive work are different things of course, but I was surprised to see some stats which were quite telling about his whole space-explorer thing: instead of getting involved in defence he would primarily move and position himself to take advantage if/when the ball was recovered. Much of his space exploration actually takes place when his team doesn't even have the ball. It was quite an interesting piece of analysis actually but I have bugger all idea where I read it.
I don't have any stats, but my impression is that it really depends where he's played. On the wing, he does more than enough tracking back, if he's up against an attacking fullback. You won't see him leave his fullback constantly alone vs 2 players. However if you analyse his performances against Juve and Barca last year, when he was played as a 2nd striker, you won't find him deep very often. He rarely helped out in midfield and his main defensive contribution was pressing the opposing centerbacks.

Annahnomoss

Don't think it is just about votes for him if we look at his side, it is full of oldies rather than the vote winners.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's a bold move mate! Honestly, I think Ronaldo might be the single biggest vote-winner in the draft, even more so than the two Argies. Not that the Keane-Robbo combo you're going for in midfield is anything less than arousing!
Could be true, indeed. But if I'm to do any tweaking of significance here I simply can't sport a TP striker - it leaves me with no room for adding significant upgrades elsewhere.

Besides, I don't really care about votes at this stage. Never expected to get this far. I'd rather go for a team I genuinely like than for vote pullers.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Don't think it is just about votes for him if we look at his side, it is full of oldies rather than the vote winners.
Hmm, I can understand and expected it with the front three. But Cabrini hasn't had a mention really and has not really been talked up or spoken about.

Annahnomoss

Hmm, I can understand and expected it with the front three. But Cabrini hasn't had a mention really and has not really been talked up or spoken about.
He was a big part of why I voted for him. I get the point though, but my prior point was more that Chester seems to be building a side here with players he likes and appreciates himself. Enzo/Littbarski/Cabrini/Buchwald/Mcgrath/Bezso/Valderrama would all be tossed out then, so I believe he is better of continuing the path that brought him thus far. I think if he changes now he will end up with something half-assed, at least I always regret when I fall for the pressure to win votes. It always comes out garbage, and if I lose then you feel a bit dumb - compared to when you lose with your team in which case it doesn't matter a lot.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm not convinced. If you look at other sides, yes, they have great backlines, but no one has someone like Ronaldo to break through them. AFAIC you have the best frontline and that sure counts for something.

Your core three in defence aren't the fanciest names but they are rock solid, Cabrini was a cracking player and the only leftbacks better than him aren't available and also TPs (actually, you have a "lost TP point there" which could go towards the midfield without having to touch Ronaldo). The only team that could target Jorginho/Serginho or Bessonov is Aldo's and I can't think of anyone available out there who would have him in his pocket (edit: Thuram, but feck dropping Ron for it). He isn't even targetting a fullback but probing across the frontline anyway

You could do with another non-TP midfielder like Effenberg or Simeone but that's really it (or a good LB to transfer the TPs to midfield if needs be).

antohan

I don't have any stats, but my impression is that it really depends where he's played. On the wing, he does more than enough tracking back, if he's up against an attacking fullback. You won't see him leave his fullback constantly alone vs 2 players. However if you analyse his performances against Juve and Barca last year, when he was played as a 2nd striker, you won't find him deep very often. He rarely helped out in midfield and his main defensive contribution was pressing the opposing centerbacks.
Yeah, thhat's my impression as well, but the stats were quite clearly from games he started out right as the heatmaps didn't suggest the dataset was based on him playing centrally. Could be bad data or a very specific selection, but it did make for interesting reading as I had him down as hard-working = puts in a shift, and it made you question if that logic really holds.

antohan

BTW, good game guys, really good stuff from both managers.

I actually liked the setup NoPace went for and his posts were largely and refreshingly non-blinkered. Even made a good case for Campbell, who did indeed have some stunnning games, but this really didn't look like one of those.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm not convinced. If you look at other sides, yes, they have great backlines, but no one has someone like Ronaldo to break through them. AFAIC you have the best frontline and that sure counts for something.

Your core three in defence aren't the fanciest names but they are rock solid, Cabrini was a cracking player and the only leftbacks better than him aren't available and also TPs (actually, you have a "lost TP point there" which could go towards the midfield without having to touch Ronaldo). The only team that could target Jorginho/Serginho or Bessonov is Aldo's and I can't think of anyone available out there who would have him in his pocket (edit: Thuram, but feck dropping Ron for it). He isn't even targetting a fullback but probing across the frontline anyway

You could do with another non-TP midfielder like Effenberg or Simeone but that's really it (or a good LB to transfer the TPs to midfield if needs be).
Good points, my man.

But what's done is now done - and I do believe I have a couple of decent ideas. You'll be able to see for yourself soon enough - am about to send my write-up to Annah.

What I could have done, indeed, is to buy a new LB, stick with the CBs, buy Keano - and retain the services of the front trio plus Valderrama. However. I've been able to get away with the latter so far - and bloody well right too, in my opinion. But he's an easy target for criticism - of all my players he's easily the one who has been getting the harshest criticism. I just don't see him surviving a semi-final - unfair as it definitely is. So, rather than upgrading him - and I'd need a TP for that - I'm going for an upgrade at the back (an upgrade who is also an offensive instrument) and an upgrade on Dunga in Keano. I get the new and eye-catching partnership of Robbo and Keano - and I replace Ronaldo with Weah, who isn't exactly a mug and has some of the same qualities, i.e. extreme speed and explosiveness.

We'll see how it turns out, eh?