Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Mjj

vs

Michaelf777

Team MJJ

The formation graphic is pretty self explanatory, all of the players are playing in positions they are comfortable in and are of high quality. I believe my team has a blend of power, speed and with one of the best attacking trio in the draft in the King with the dagger in one hand and the needle in the other.

The team fully utilises the attacking powers of Pele by partnering him with two of the best wing-forwards who played in fluid systems and are used to interchanging during the course of the match. Pele can play either as a creator or a finisher to devastating effect depending on how the match goes.

The midfield is a thing of beauty, the raw destructiveness and power of Sammer and Matthaus partnered with the work-rate of Lerby. Against that trio rather than trying to control the midfield, its more of a case of trying to survive without getting destroyed.

Keeping in touch with drafting footballers who are good on the ball and warriors off the ball, I have the bearded one partnering one of the best english sweepers with panucci and demyanenko helping the attack and the defense equally.

joga bonito said:
@Arbitrium

Apologies for the late reply but I rarely if ever comment nowadays if you haven't noticed.

I just preferred GSTQ team and I had a few issues with your side - the midfield balance seemed a bit off and I've never been a huge fan of Eusebio as a lone CF esp in here with Neymar and Messi as the WFs (Stoichkov/Rummenigge etc would have been more ideal imo).
vs.

Team MichaelF777777

My team will be playing a zona mista formation which will aim to be defensively solid, leaving the opposition with few chances and being lethal on the counter attack.

My goalkeeper is Iker Casillas who was in one world cup (2010) and two european championship (2008, 2012) teams of the tournament as well as being the best goalkeeper in the world every year from 2008 to 2012 according to the IFFHS and being in the FIFPro world XI 5 times in consecutive years from 2008 to 2012 as well as being a member of the UEFA team of the year 6 times between 2007 and 2012. Casillas has brilliant shot stopping and positioning abilities as well as being consistent, quick off his line in one on one situations, a good distributor of the ball and has an ability to make saves at crucial moments.

My rightback is Tarcisio Burgnich who won two European Cups and four Serie A's with Inter Milan as well as winning a European Championship and finishing runner up in a world cup with Italy. Burgnich formed a brilliant fullback partnership with Facchetti during his career, a partnership which will be seen again in my team. Burgnich being comfortable both as a fullback and a centreback is an ideal player to deal with Stoichkov. Burgnich was well disciplined, had high levels of concentration, great anticipation and reactions as well as being an excellent marker and a tough tackler who was difficult to beat in one on one situations.

My libero is Gaetano Scirea who was a member of the Euro 80 team of the tounament as well as being a member of the italian Hall of Fame. He won the 1982 world cup with Italy as well as winning 7 Serie A's and becoming one of only six players in history to win every international club tournament recognised by UEFA and FIFA while at Juventus. Scirea formed a great partnership with my centreback Claudio Gentile for both Juventus and the Italian national team. Scirea was a great leader, as well as being quick, good on the ball and a superb defensive reader of the game. Offensively, Scirea had great vision and passing ability.

My centreback is Claudio Gentile who was a member of both the Euro 80 and the 1982 World Cup teams of the tournament as well as winning 6 Serie A's with Juventus. In consecutive games at the 1982 World Cup, he was crucial in Italian victories over Argentina and Brazil by severely limiting the impact of Maradona and Zico. He will have a similar task for my team in this game as he will be man marking Pele. Despite his reputation, he was only sent off once in his career and that was from a 2nd yellow card. Gentile had a high work rate, was great in the air as well as being a fantastic man marker and a tough tackler.

My leftback is Giacinto Facchetti who was a meber of the Euro 68 and World Cup 70 Teams of the Tournament as well as finishing 2nd in the 1965 Ballon d'Or. He won 4 Serie A's and 2 European Cups with Inter Milan as well as winning the 68 Euro's and losing in the 1970 World Cup final with the Italian national team. Defensively, Facchetti was a great marker, tackler and reader of the game as well as being good in the air. Facchetti was also great at making runs forwrd down his flank as well as being two footed, a brilliant crosser, having a powerful shot and being a good distributor of the ball.

My deep lying right midfielder is Julio Abbadde who won the 1966 Copa Libertadores and Intercontinental Cup with Penarol. Going forward Abbadie's strengths were his dribbling, passing and decision making, however he has been picked for his defensive contributions which were on display in the 1966 Intercontinental Cup final where at the age of 36 as a right midfielder with Tabare Gonzalez playing at RB, he played an important role in Penarol keeping a clean sheet in both legs against Real Madrid (as detailed in the following post by @antohan: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/all-...han-vs-joga-annah.409195/page-3#post-18107720) although that flank was being attacked by Gento with Amancio often changing sides and attacking down that wing as well.

My defensive midfielder is Marcel Desailly who was a member of the team of the tournament at both the 1998 World Cup and the 2000 European Championships and was a world class player both as a centre back and as a defensive midfielder where he successfully replaced Frank Rijkaard at AC Milan. Desailly was a great ball winner, quick, strong, good in the air, had a high level of stamina, as well as being a great defensive organiser and good on the ball.

My box to box central midfielder is Marco Tardelli who was in the Euro 80 Team of the Tournament as well as winning 5 Serie A's and 1 European Cup with Juventus. Tardelli was a hard working, quick, determined and energetic player who was a great man marker and tackler who was also good on the ball, as well as being good at both passing and shooting with both feet.

My attacking midfielder is Juan Alberto Schiaffino who was in the 1950 World Cup team of the tournament as well a being ranked by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS) as the 17th best player, the 6th best South American and the best Uruguayan of the 20th century. Schiaffino was great at organising his team's offense and dictating the tempo of his team in midfield. He had marvelous technical ability, a wide passing range, good positioning and vision. Schiaffino was also known to help out defensively being willing to put pressure on opponents, track back and challenge opponents for the ball.

My right sided striker is Careca who was the silver boot at the 1986 World Cup as well as being top scorer in the 1986 Campeonato Brasileiro Serie A. Careca was fast, powerful, a good finisher, had great positioning and was good in the air. Careca could also create for others both directly through passing and indirectly due to his off the ball runs.

My left sided striker is Alberto Spencer who is the all time top goalscorer in the Copa Libertadores which he won 3 times with Penarol as well as being ranked the 20th best South American player of the 20th century by the IFFHS. Alberto Spencer was great in the air with my opponent's star player Pele saying that Spencer was better at heading the ball than he was. Spencer was also quick, was a good dribbler, had good movement off the ball and was a brilliant finisher. Spencer was also a big game player scoring in each of the Copa Libertadores final ties he played in (Copa Libertadores finals at this time were two legged affairs with playoffs being possible), scoring 8 times in 10 Copa Libertadores final games.

MJJ

@Arbitrium

Apologies for the late reply but I rarely if ever comment nowadays if you haven't noticed.

I just preferred GSTQ team and I had a few issues with your side - the midfield balance seemed a bit off and I've never been a huge fan of Eusebio as a lone CF esp in here with Neymar and Messi as the WFs (Stoichkov/Rummenigge etc would have been more ideal imo).
:smirk:

Fixed the quote

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@MJJ Any info on how good Panucci is going forward? I remember him being a more defensive full-back. I see him to be crucial to how your right side operates

MJJ

@MJJ Any info on how good Panucci is going forward? I remember him being a more defensive full-back. I see him to be crucial to how your right side operates
I would say he was fairly balanced, equally as good going forward as defensively. I think @Invictus in the past compared carvajal(obviously better offensively) to him which should give a better idea.

I am pretty sure panucci played as a rwb at times to during his career but not sure if there is a website which has this stats. Provided width in a diamond in the 1998 champions league final and started off as a winger with genoa before being converted to a fullback.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Gone for Michael. I think MJJ's lack of a proper playmaker (Pele was always a secondary playmaker) will make breaking down Michael very difficult and I can seen Michael scoring on the break against a relatively much weaker defence

MJJ

Gone for Michael. I think MJJ's lack of a proper playmaker (Pele was always a secondary playmaker) will make breaking down Michael very difficult and I can seen Michael scoring on the break against a relatively much weaker defence
This is where having three all around midfielders come in play, the role of the playmaker is distributed well between lerby-matthaus and sammer.

Resplendent in the number 10 shirt, Matthäus was Inter’s version. A box-to-box midfielder in the Bundesliga, Matthäus transitioned to a more modern, athletic, creative force in Italy.

The Erlangen-born star was immediately indispensable in his first campaign. The injection of a world class talent to Inter’s ranks transformed performances. The primary example was striker Aldo Serena. Serena had scored nine goals for Torino in the 1984-85 season, 21 in two seasons for Juventus and just ten goals in three previous spells at Inter. With Matthäus supplying ample chances, though, Serena morphed into a prolific goalscorer. He won the Capocannoniere with 22 goals, largely due to the form of Matthäus, who scored 12 goals himself, including a late winner against their chief pursuers Napoli. Inter won the title by 11 points from the Naples club. It was their 13th scudetto, and the last league title Inter would win until the Roberto Mancini era in the late-noughties.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
2 great teams. Some preliminary comments:

@Michaelf7777777

- great efforts from regarding the write-up
- great to see legends like Spencer, Schiaffino and Abbadie under the spot lights. @antohan woud appreciate
- impressive defensive unit
- a team perfectly suited to match the opposing team

@MJJ

- nice to see Pele in a team which doesn't look Brazil of the 60s
- Fluid offensive trio which makes sense
- I would have added some arrow to highlight the Sammer's style
- I understand that we have the Inter Milan version of Matthaus
- Do you know if there are videos about Wright? I know his reputation but never watched him

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The 2 best central defenders: 'libero' style versus 'sweeper' style

MJJ

2 great teams. Some preliminary comments:

@Michaelf7777777

- great efforts from regarding the write-up
- great to see legends like Spencer, Schiaffino and Abbadie under the spot lights. @antohan woud appreciate
- impressive defensive unit
- a team perfectly suited to match the opposing team

@MJJ

- nice to see Pele in a team which doesn't look Brazil of the 60s
- Fluid offensive trio which makes sense
- I would have added some arrow to highlight the Sammer's style
- I understand that we have the Inter Milan version of Matthaus
- Do you know if there are videos about Wright? I know his reputation but never watched him
Excellent series of post Ecstatic.

Not sure if there is an all-touches video but that match and the hungry match are online, the latter probably not the best video to champion him :lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@MJJ

Thanks for the answer. Just watched your answer.

I would have voted for your for an obvious reason: you wrote 5 posts against 0 for the opponent.

Now, I think we should stop the games the weekend!

MJJ

@MJJ

Thanks for the answer. Just watched your answer.

I would have voted for your for an obvious reason: you wrote 5 posts against 0 for the opponent.

Now, I think we should stop the games the weekend!
:lol: are there any weaknesses in my side which you think I can improve on?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Netto for lerby and preudhomme. I used the weaker players for this match :lol:
Brilliant. There is a room for improvement in defence. Diverse option. I need to check if it's possible to trade in the reinforcement round.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I didn’t know enough of michaels team and no time to look in to them so I didn’t vote this match.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I didn't want to butt in for obvious reasons. This would have been a very close contest which would largely unravel off who scores first.

There's a lot I like in that counter attacking side, clearly inspired by what was the best side I ever drafted (well, never got to put the finishing touches). Main and crucial difference is the lack of a DM that can dictate from deep and trigger those counters. Neither Desailly nor Tardelli have what Tito had in his locker in that regard.

That would have been the crux of it for me given the powerful midfield @MJJ sported, you needed that ability to switch to counter and bypass them with a single pinpoint pass into space.

Re: Panucci, to me as a RB he is an attacking RB. What struck me at Milan and got him to Madrid was his progressive side, not defensive acumen. He was a distinct break from the much more conservative Tassotti.

I think most may be thinking Roma/RCB Panucci, but that's not the early converted winger that played at RB.

MJJ

I didn't want to butt in for obvious reasons. This would have been a very close contest which would largely unravel off who scores first.

There's a lot I like in that counter attacking side, clearly inspired by what was the best side I ever drafted (well, never got to put the finishing touches). Main and crucial difference is the lack of a DM that can dictate from deep and trigger those counters. Neither Desailly nor Tardelli have what Tito had in his locker in that regard.

That would have been the crux of it for me given the powerful midfield @MJJ sported, you needed that ability to switch to counter and bypass them with a single pinpoint pass into space.

Re: Panucci, to me as a RB he is an attacking RB. What struck me at Milan and got him to Madrid was his progressive side, not defensive acumen. He was a distinct break from the much more conservative Tassotti.

I think most may be thinking Roma/RCB Panucci, but that's not the early converted winger that played at RB.

Why anto? Its always good when you participate.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Why anto? Its always good when you participate.
It's difficult when my boys are involved. Praise them and I'm overrating them. Conversely, if I said their team would lose (regardless of why) it removes any interest/need to delve deeper into them. E.g. that's a great post I made on Abbadie and how he went about the exact role he was assigned here, would rather people go, read it and make up their mind on whether he is an asset here or not.

MJJ

It's difficult when my boys are involved. Praise them and I'm overrating them. Conversely, if I said their team would lose (regardless of why) it removes any interest/need to delve deeper into them. E.g. that's a great post I made on Abbadie and how he went about the exact role he was assigned here, would rather people go, read it and make up their mind on whether he is an asset here or not.
Michaelfff is your son? :eek: