g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Auction Draft: Round 1 - SjorMustard vs Andestatic

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
SJORMUSTARD

Andestatic

SJORMUSTARD
Formation:
4-4-1-1
Style: Rugged, masculine and sexy

"A decent moustache can intimidate a man, while a great moustache can frighten an army." Anya Wylde, Penelope

We're not arrogant men, nor are we given to hyperbole, but we can't lie either. In one vital aspect, this is probably the greatest draft team ever assembled.

Player Name - Player Position - Player Role/Moustache Analysis

Thomas N'Kono - Goalkeeper - Close-cropped whiskers and a general similarity in appearance to Apollo Creed give our last line of defence a menacing and gladiatorial aura.

Giuseppe Bergomi - Defensive right-back - An essential acquisition for us. Ruthless and uncompromising, his is simply one of the all-time great moustaches, and it fits with his playing style perfectly. Great fit vs Cristiano.

Aleksandre Chivadze - CB/Sweeper - A thinking man's 'tache on a thinking man's defender. It's a brooding, thoughtful moustache that wouldn't be out of place on one of the great Russian authors, and it gives him proper gravitas in this team. A really talented ball-playing centre back also.

Paul McGrath - CB/Stopper - No frills, understated excellence in both the moustache and defending categories. Perfect complement to Chivadze.

Kenny Sansom - Balanced left-back - Pure 1980s tradesman moustache, of the sort that screams 'solid professional' whether it's worn by a plumber or a footballer. Sansom lives up to it, racking up 8 consecutive PFA Team of the Season appearances. He'll defend resolutely and motor up and down to support our attacks here.

Toninho Cerezo - Central Midfielder - Understated and stylish in every way that matters.

Graeme Souness - Central Midfielder - Like a real life Frank Begbie, the moustache was an essential component of that palpable air of bristling menace that he brought to the pitch. Fantastic 4-4-2 midfielder too.

George Best - Right Winger - Legend. His 'tache credentials are less known, but his was a gloriously rakish, libertine affair, and a stylistic nod to a legend who we couldn't select, the great Argentine playboy Jose Manuel Moreno.

Ossie Ardiles - Left Midfielder - A quality player and a good cog in most all-time draft scenarios, he's elevated to superstar status in this theme, looking like a real life Super Mario with one of the all-time funniest moustaches. He'll play narrower than Best in general, and drift infield to influence play.

Ruud Gullit - Second Striker - Another essential acquisition for us. The moustache was a crucial part of his iconic appearance. Playing in his best role here, he's a menace when we're attacking and an outstanding asset in the defensive phase too.

Thierry Henry - Striker - A mere sapling in his moustachioed days, but it was a spirited 'tache attempt for a youngster. Very fast, and good at scoring goals.

Tactics

Modern 442 with a lot of fluidity in possession. Defensive wise we have a great foundation for team to shine with the ball, all 10 players are very good defensive wise with great work-rates so as a unit we will be formidable.
Offensive wise setup is pretty much build to get the best out of Best and Henry with all players comfortable on the ball, a lot of movement and a great supporting cast. A lot of versatile players on the pitch so the team is pretty comfortable in playing numerous systems if needed. Henry likes to drift left, Best is comfortable anywhere in the final third as is Gullit, Ardiles can play anywhere in midfield.

Osvaldo "Luigi" Ardiles Role

Most "controversial" one, to our knowledge he never really played as a left midfielder but he did play as a LCM for Spurs regularly and he was comfortable in that left inside channel. He is pretty much our Koke + dribbling ability. Has all the tools to perform well there, tactically second to none, great engine, high level both on and off the pitch and most importantly is selfless even though he possesses great talent so character wise will slot right in there for the given role. Given the relationship Henry had with Pires in that position we can see them blossom together - Henry into better player, Luigi into bigger self.

Charlton said:
1979 i was there with the BBC and we were all very excited about seeing the argentinians for the first time, we were sitting up in the River Plate stadium when they played the first match and the first person that struck me as something different, something that i haven't seen for a long time was the skills of Ossie Ardiles
Crooks said:
When people talk about World-Class its not just about what you do, with your performance, i think its how you make others perform and in that particular area Ossie was outstanding

What Ossie made people play, was always there was always supported, was always available to have the ball at any position.
Burkinshaw said:
I thought that in his first 2 or 3 years here he was probably the best midfielder in England.
VS

ANDESTATIC
ECSTATIC - PART 1/5 - FAST, FLUID AND COMPLEMENTARY TRIO

Captain CRISTIANOOOOOO - Ballon d'Or 2008, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 - Never but never forget him at his prime - Played on the right side with United but also Madrid at the beginning

For more information, please contact or read the posts/quotes written by Cal?/Peyroteo who are - of course - not allowed to vote

Striker - SEELER - 1936
- West Germany: 72 caps (43 goals) - 449 Goals/ 549 Games - Ballon d’Or 60: 3rd place

One of the greatest strikers in the History of the Game: complete forward with a fantastic activity all over the pitch, excellent stats.
@-Šjor Bepo: please don't forget you made great videos about him on DailyMotion!!

Seconda Punta / Fantasista - Kaká - Ballon d'Or 2007

"For two, maybe three seasons he was the best player in the world, there was nothing he couldn’t do." Ronaldinho
"I remember how badly we took it as a team when Kaká left Milan. For two or three years he was the best player in the world. There was a point when teams just had no idea how to stop him." (Andrea Pirlo)

ECSTATIC - PART 2/5 FURIOUS, DYNAMIC AND ACTIVE

LWB - LEO JUNIOR 82 - Orchestrating attacking moves as fulfilling his defensive remit - Brazil: 74 caps
Technique, Pass accuracy, Teamwork and Versatility: left-back, left midfielder or central midfielder. Main Honours: 1982 WC All-Star Team + SA Defender of The Year (1981,1982) + Bronze Ball SA Footballer (1981)

Inside-Left - VIEIRA - Giant Box-to-box - WC Winner 1998 Euro2000 Winner WC 2006 runner-up - 107 caps

Defensive Midfielder - Luis Fernandez - Strong and Complete Defensive midfielder with a high stamina - Played a key role in the France Golden era between 1982 and 1986 - To be discussed later

Unfortunately, the Youtube account which published his performances has recently closed :( Will try to make a video.

ECSTATIC - PART 3/5 - TOTAL FULL-BACKS

Iconic Offensive left-back -Roberto Carlos - 2002 Silver Ball European Footballer Of The Year
"Roberto Carlos can cover the entire wing all on his own" (Real Madrid coach Vicente del Bosque) on Roberto Carlos having the ability to defend and attack the left side of the field by himself

Legendary Cafu - 1994 South American Footballer Of The Year (injured during the 94 WC) -WC Winner in 94/02
“What a nightmare to play against. The last thing you need is an overlapping full-back, creating two-versus-one situations against you. He’d bomb on for 90 minutes and wouldn’t give you a minute’s peace. Although Cafu was a fantastic attacking threat, he was also a very capable defender. Never seemed to age.” (Denis Irwin)

ECSTATIC - PART 4/5 - EXCITING DUO WHO KNOW HOW TO MANIPULATE A BALL

Thiago Silva - O Monstro - Career peak 2010-2013 -
"In Italy, we had a great tradition for defenders, but now we don’t have any more. I don’t know why. I believe that Thiago Silva is the best in the world right now."(Maldini)
"Thiago Silva is without doubt the best central defender in the world. He has incredible qualities. He is a symbol of elegance like Franz Beckenbauer was. Silva follows in his footsteps." (Ronaldo)
"In 2012/13, never seen an over-dominating CB in the history of the French League." (Ecstatic)

Alan Hansen - Defensive leader of the Pool machine 3 Times European Cup (1978, 1981, 1984)

Emerson Leao - A Brazilian who is Goalkeeper - 44 clean sheets in 80 games for Brazil
"He didn't have a great relationship with Tele Santana, sad but true" (Ecstatic)

ECSTATIC - PART 5/5 - VIEW ON THE OPPOSITION
"Opposition? Which opposition?" (Ecstatic)

Last edited:

MJJ

"A decent moustache can intimidate a man, while a great moustache can frighten an army." Anya Wylde, Penelope

We're not arrogant men, nor are we given to hyperbole, but we can't lie either. In one vital aspect, this is probably the greatest draft team ever assembled.

Resists urge to not vote for this.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I won't vote to be relax and want to discover the outcome at the end!
Resists urge to vote against kakaaaa and ronaldoooo

Resists urge to not vote for this.
:D I struggle to be innovative! The issue is there is not the option 'Both teams deserved to be kicked out'

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'm not sure to understand the theme of this game. I hesitate between two concepts:

- We will rock you with a moustache

- Fast and Furious

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
so your theme is a crap movie? btw good luck as well.

willhse456

Don't know much about Fernandez, how would he match up against the pace and power of Gullit. What kind of defensive midfielder was he?

Can't look past Best in his battle vs Carlos, especially as Kaka won't be tracking back.

Pretty similar on the opposite side with Cristiano vs Sansom. Would be a close game I think.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Sansom is great foil to Cristiano imo. But I don't like Ardiles on the LM. Would have preferred Hoddle there

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Great write-ups.

With Carlos and Cafu, thought it would have been a diamond. Both Kaka and Cristiano have excelled in diamonds as well.

Deleted member 101472

Sorry but I think @Ecstatic is my favourite poster on Redcafe. I mean how does your mind go here;

I'm not sure to understand the theme of this game. I hesitate between two concepts:

- We will rock you with a moustache

- Fast and Furious

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
A preliminary comment would be to say that there are soe similarities:

- A strong focus on offensive players: the stars are there
- Very fast, brilliant and dynamic offensive players
- Some furious guys: Vieira, Fernandez, Souness
- No #10

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Don't know much about Fernandez, how would he match up against the pace and power of Gullit. What kind of defensive midfielder was he?

Can't look past Best in his battle vs Carlos, especially as Kaka won't be tracking back.

Pretty similar on the opposite side with Cristiano vs Sansom. Would be a close game I think.
Sansom is great foil to Cristiano imo. But I don't like Ardiles on the LM. Would have preferred Hoddle there
To be discussed later!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sorry but I think @Ecstatic is my favourite poster on Redcafe. I mean how does your mind go here;
You're my favorite Referee

Freddie Mercury + the iconic Best and the Rock of the 60s (source of many British supporters songs + moustache = We Will Rock You with a Moustache
Fast guys + Furious guys = Fast & Furious

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I live in an era marked by the death of football’s classic number 10 so no old-school #10... and marked by some odd habits
= Cristiano said " No rival. I am the only One. Xxx"

Authentic and beautiful #10 are disappeared. The retired authentic #10 I used to pick in these drafts have turned badly. Pele thinks M’bappé is his son… Zico has become a YouTuber and interviews other retreats there…. Platini has troubles with the FIFA…

These days, we can see some strange players – P**/S** highly rate - who think they are great because they know the value of a moustache.… For example, Thierry Henry thought he was a great coach because of that.

There are also the false #10 – like Fellaini and Griezmann - who are false players easily recognized with a moustache which doesn’t make sense (Leo Junior had a moustache but he was a poor player coming from a poor family so his moustache was the mark of poverty, not a hipster).

Conclusion:
-no old-school #10 playing for Ecstatic
-Not impossible that the opposing team thinks Osvaldo Ardiles is a #10 :nervous:

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I live in an era marked by the loneliness of the striker who has to be capable to do everything and have to be brave and complete
= Cristiano said " Take a better striker than Benzema. Xxx"

As you can see, no moustaches:

Conclusion

- I have told Seeler 'You are a man now'
- My striker can also organize and lead some attacks: see videos in the OP or on DailyMotion (a guy there whose name is Sjor made excellent videos as usual)
- My striker doesn't need a babysitter like Bergkamp or Gullit

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Because everything moves always faster with Kaka - hybrid player (Playmaking / Acceleration) who understood the pre-WW3 era
= Cristiano 'I love this guy, take him'

You know the player, extremely mobile, scored 2 goals against Manchester United from the left

Champions League final 2005 - fantastic performance with 2 assists delivered including one beautiful for Crespo

Champions League final 2007 -1 assist delivered- Milan won 2-1 - Award of the Man of the Match

- 1 goal on set-piece: Pirlo
- 1 goal on open play thanks to Kaka

Look at the shape of the team: 10 Milanese players shouting "Kaka, please create/attack/dribble because we can't"

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
CR7 NATURALLY RIGHT-FOOTED BUT AMBIDEXTROUS -ALWAYS REINVENTING HIMSELF
= CRISTIANO "LET ME RUN THE SHOW IN MY EUROPEAN TERRITORY"

Real Madrid - A long time ago on the right

Portugal - At a glance

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Junior, from the pitch to the box
JUNIOR

Blessed with an outstanding array of talented individuals, including the likes of Socrates and Zico, the Brazil team that won the hearts of the footballing world at the 1982 FIFA World Cup Spain™ will live long in the memory. And it was not just in midfield or up front that the Auriverde showed their sparkle.

Bursting onto the global scene was one Leovegildo Lins da Gama Junior, better known as Junior, a right-footed left-back equally adept at orchestrating attacking moves as fulfilling his defensive remit. At the age of 28, the then Flamengo man was appearing at his first FIFA World Cup finals, the high point of a career that would last for a further 11 years.

"Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I played the game professionally for top-level sides for 20 years. It seems like a lifetime," says a man whose name grew to be synonymous with Brazil's best-supported club, Flamengo. "I never even considered playing for another Brazilian team," he tells FIFA.com. "It was simply out of the question. I spent all my youth with Flamengo and practically my entire professional career. I'm eternally grateful for having played a part in the most glorious period of the club's history," adds Junior, whose career lasted from 1974 to 1993 and also included spells in Italy with Torino (1984-87) and Pescara (1987-89).

Memorable moments
A quick glance at Junior's list of honours at Flamengo goes some way towards explaining his iconic status at the club. The player won no fewer than four Brazilian league titles in the fabled red-and-black hoops, as well as taking both the Copa Libertadores and the Toyota Intercontinental Cup in 1981, and making the starting berth on Brazil's left flank his own for the best part of a decade. In the wake of his stellar displays for the Seleção at Spain 1982, Junior was the subject of a flurry of offers to play in Europe until finally, in 1984, Torino won the race for his signature.

"One of the conditions I insisted upon was that I would be allowed to play in midfield, which was my position when I started out in football. I'm not a full-back, I'm a midfielder who ended up playing in defence," explains the gifted wide-man. "I knew that I could play on for longer as a midfielder. I really wanted to enjoy that experience and after that I'd already made up my mind to go back to Flamengo to finish my career."

Everything turned out according to plan. Over the course of his five-year sojourn in Italy, where he was known as Leo Junior, the Brazilian maestro won the admiration of fans and media alike, and was even voted Serie A player of the year for the 1984-85 campaign. He went on to appear for Brazil at Mexico 1986, his second FIFA World Cup finals, before making the journey back to his homeland in 1989. And at the age of 35, the evergreen star still had the legs to drive his beloved Flamengo to yet more glory.

"I was the last remaining member of that 1980s generation and so for me it was really special to play a part in winning the Brazilian Cup (in 1990) and particularly the Brazilian league title (in 1992)," says Junior, who was born in the Paraiba state capital of Joao Pessoa. "The latter title was probably the trophy that meant the most to me, because it helped me say a fond farewell (to Flamengo)."

But Junior was more than just a world-class footballer. His ample charm and generosity of spirit made a vital contribution to dressing-room harmony, while his famed ability to spin a yarn also remains intact. "I think I can only remember scoring one own goal in my career, but it was so ridiculous that it should count as several. It was in a Brazilian league match against Sport Recife in 1991, they were on the verge of relegation to the second division and needed to win," says the Rubro-negro legend.

"I was in middle of the park and, without looking up, I knocked the ball back to our keeper Gilmar, but he was on the other side of the box! The ball trickled into the net and we could only stand there looking at each other. We ended up losing 2-1 - how embarrassing!"

Today
Even before his playing days drew to a close; Junior knew his future lay within the boundaries of the beautiful game. "That said, I knew I wasn't going to be a coach. I tried my hand at it twice (in 1993-94 and later in 1997), but I did it because I love Flamengo. They asked me to do it and I could never say no to them," says Junior, who was also briefly a club director at the Carioca giants in 2004, before fully focusing on the job that has ensured his continued fame across Brazil, that of TV commentator.

"When I used to live in Italy I took part in a few TV programs and in Brazil I took up the profession for good from the 1998 World Cup. For me it's the perfect progression from a career as a player, because I always loved analysing the game," says Junior, who currently works for Brazilian channel Sportv.

"And I think I managed to learn something in those 20 years out on the pitch," he adds with a smile and just a touch of false modesty. And as anyone who saw Junior in action will attest, his knowledge of game is most definitely not in question.

Facts and figures

Clubs: Flamengo (1974-84 and 1989-93), Torino (1984-87), Pescara (1987-89)
National team: 79 appearances (1979-1992)
Honours: Four-time Brazilian league winner (1980, 1982, 1983, 1992), Copa Libertadores winner (1981), Toyota Intercontinental Cup winner (1981), Brazilian Cup winner (1990), appearances at two FIFA World Cup finals (1982, 1986

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
OK Kaká.... MESSAGE UNDERSTOOD.... - SO LET'S SPEAK ABOUT THE FULL BACKS

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
LUIS FERNANDEZ - AN ENERGIC DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER

FRANCE - EURO 84 WINNERS

FRANCE - WORLD CUP 86 WORLD CUP 3RD PLACE

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I have analysed PSG against Juventis (Platini, Tardelli, Gentile, Scirea...) in 1983.

Didn't have the time to analyse the whole game recently but only the 15 first minutes.

I won't try to present as the French version of 1990 Matthaus :wenger:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Best and Kaka are not mostly know for their defensive contribution.

Regarding the battle Best vs Carlos:

1) if you rewatch Best at the European Cup Final in 1968; you would see he mainly cuts inside for obvious reasons (left-footed player on the right side).
2) Bergomi is a great player but mainly for his defensive impact
3) And - anyway - Best on the right doesn't seem to be the player likely to make the FB participate offensively from what I have seen in the game mentioned above
4) A great offensive Brazilian FB - at his peak - is not synonym of a burden defensively!
5) There is Leo Junior in the area: dynamic B2B player on that left-side of the pitch...given his profile, the typical player who can support Roberto Carlos anywhere on the pitch
6) Roberto Carlos would attack so Best tracking back hardly could be seen as a bold assumption

Also, please keep in mind the opposing team proposes a team more offensive than the team below - which means the battle Carlos is much more even than you'd think!

So, to enable Best to run the show:

- you have Brennan
- you have Crerand

Paddy Crerand's eagerly-awaited autobiography recounts the previously untold story of one of post-war football's fieriest characters. As a defensive midfielder, famed for his tough tackling, for Scotland, Celtic and Manchester United from 1957 to 1972, he was the Roy Keane of his day and this book holds nothing back on or off the field.

As a Catholic born in the then infamous Gorbals area of Glasgow, Crerand was determined to escape from an extraordinarily tough background of family tragedy, religious bigotry and working in the Clyde shipyard, to become a professional footballer.

As a Celtic player in the early years of Jock Stein's management, Paddy Crerand was forced to play inthe shadow of the then dominant Rangers team. At Manchester United, however, he enjoyed great success in Sir Matt Busby's post-Munich Air Disaster team, winning two league titles, the FA Cup and the European Cup, and playing alongside the likes of George Best, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and Nobby Stiles.

In his own distinctively punchy style, Crerand reveals the full truth about his controversial friendship with the hard-drinking Protestant Rangers star 'Slim' Jim Baxter and the legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly; what it was like to be George Best's minder and Matt Busby's confidant; and his passionate involvement in Irish nationalist politics.

Crerand’s life story is a genuine triumph over adversity told by someone whose informed opinion on Manchester United and football in general is as respected today as it was forty years ago

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
End of my presentation!

In a previous life, I would have made some videos about Ardiles :wenger:

See you for the Q&A session

@++

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Last comments before I discover the outcome tonight

SJORMUSTARD

Ossie Ardiles - Left Midfielder - A quality player and a good cog in most all-time draft scenarios, he's elevated to superstar status in this theme, looking like a real life Super Mario with one of the all-time funniest moustaches. He'll play narrower than Best in general, and drift infield to influence play.

Tactics

Modern 442 with a lot of fluidity in possession. Defensive wise we have a great foundation for team to shine with the ball, all 10 players are very good defensive wise with great work-rates so as a unit we will be formidable.
Offensive wise setup is pretty much build to get the best out of Best and Henry with all players comfortable on the ball, a lot of movement and a great supporting cast. A lot of versatile players on the pitch so the team is pretty comfortable in playing numerous systems if needed. Henry likes to drift left, Best is comfortable anywhere in the final third as is Gullit, Ardiles can play anywhere in midfield.

Osvaldo "Luigi" Ardiles Role

Most "controversial" one, to our knowledge he never really played as a left midfielder but he did play as a LCM for Spurs regularly and he was comfortable in that left inside channel. He is pretty much our Koke + dribbling ability. Has all the tools to perform well there, tactically second to none, great engine, high level both on and off the pitch and most importantly is selfless even though he possesses great talent so character wise will slot right in there for the given role. Given the relationship Henry had with Pires in that position we can see them blossom together - Henry into better player, Luigi into bigger self.
It's great to be creative and the issue is not the lack of credentials.

Pirès and Ardiles were both very collective players with a high work-rate but there are some obvious differences:

- Robert Pirès was an excellent playmaker with a good physical impact, vision and top tier (long & short) passing skills, better offensive stats too. He contributed to make Henry, Bergkamps and Cole shine. Add the fact, the right-footed had been deployed sometimes as a #10 or support striker or right midfielder at Metz/Marseille and you understand his impact for Arsenal

- while the main quality of Ardiles was to bring dynamism and passing options at the heart of the game, so to fluidify & disturb the opposing midfielder.

So, Pirès plays more with his brain to make his teammates better while Ardiles plays more with his heart to make the team better at the heart of the Game. Less freedom for Ardiles means less heart.

#Football #Philosophy

Last edited: