Last comment before tonight

I thought I would be against the following team

Gullit/Henry
Henry/Best-----------------Best/Gullit
Ardiles/Hoddle--------- Souness
Cerezo
Samson---Mcgrath------Chivadze---Bergomi​

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Sansom is great foil to Cristiano imo. But I don't like Ardiles on the LM. Would have preferred Hoddle there
The footballing reason for starting Ardiles was that he'd offer more defensive support to Sansom, but that wasn't really the deciding factor. This is good:

but this is just unbelievably brilliant:

Deleted member 101472

@Pat_Mustard @Šjor Bepo

hang your heads in shame, leaving ecstatic to speak to himself for the duration of the thread. The two of you need to stop being allowed to team up.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Best and Kaka are not mostly know for their defensive contribution.

Regarding the battle Best vs Carlos:

1) if you rewatch Best at the European Cup Final in 1968; you would see he mainly cuts inside for obvious reasons (left-footed player on the right side).
2) Bergomi is a great player but mainly for his defensive impact
3) And - anyway - Best on the right doesn't seem to be the player likely to make the FB participate offensively from what I have seen in the game mentioned above
4) A great offensive Brazilian FB - at his peak - is not synonym of a burden defensively!
5) There is Leo Junior in the area: dynamic B2B player on that left-side of the pitch...given his profile, the typical player who can support Roberto Carlos anywhere on the pitch
6) Roberto Carlos would attack so Best tracking back hardly could be seen as a bold assumption

Also, please keep in mind the opposing team proposes a team more offensive than the team below - which means the battle Carlos is much more even than you'd think!

So, to enable Best to run the show:

- you have Brennan
- you have Crerand

Paddy Crerand's eagerly-awaited autobiography recounts the previously untold story of one of post-war football's fieriest characters. As a defensive midfielder, famed for his tough tackling, for Scotland, Celtic and Manchester United from 1957 to 1972, he was the Roy Keane of his day and this book holds nothing back on or off the field.

As a Catholic born in the then infamous Gorbals area of Glasgow, Crerand was determined to escape from an extraordinarily tough background of family tragedy, religious bigotry and working in the Clyde shipyard, to become a professional footballer.

As a Celtic player in the early years of Jock Stein's management, Paddy Crerand was forced to play inthe shadow of the then dominant Rangers team. At Manchester United, however, he enjoyed great success in Sir Matt Busby's post-Munich Air Disaster team, winning two league titles, the FA Cup and the European Cup, and playing alongside the likes of George Best, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and Nobby Stiles.

In his own distinctively punchy style, Crerand reveals the full truth about his controversial friendship with the hard-drinking Protestant Rangers star 'Slim' Jim Baxter and the legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly; what it was like to be George Best's minder and Matt Busby's confidant; and his passionate involvement in Irish nationalist politics.

Crerand’s life story is a genuine triumph over adversity told by someone whose informed opinion on Manchester United and football in general is as respected today as it was forty years ago
I'm not going to argue much about the match as a whole as were far more concerned with completing a credible all-moustache XI than advancing, so it's mission accomplished for us :D

There's a few things I'd contest about this post though.

1) I don't see what Brennan added that Bergomi doesn't. Brennan didn't seem like a notable attacking presence at all to me.
2) Similarly with Crerand, who was a very good passer, but hardly better than Cerezo and Souness in that regard.
3) Best wasn't left-footed. He was impressively great with both feet but he was a natural right-footer:

George Best said:
When I was 15, United were playing Real Madrid, and I remember seeing (Francisco) Gento do something I had never seen before.It was during the pre-match warm up, and the goalkeeper was drop-kicking the ball to him. Gento had a great left foot and he pretended to shoot, but he put such backspin on the ball that after it had gone about ten yards it would spin back to him. I watched, spellbound. I had never seen anything like it. The next day, in training, I had to do it. I was right-footed, but Gento had done it with his left, so I had to do the same. That was probably the start, the thing that made me determined to be genuinely two-footed. I made up my mind that I was gong to be able to do everything with my 'other' foot. From then on, I worked on it all the time. I tried to keep the ball up with my left foot. If I could do it ten times, I wanted to do it a dozen. After training, when everyone else had gone, I'd take out six or seven balls and keep working at it. I set myself tasks. I would take corners with my left foot and try to score direct. Then I would stand on the eighteen-yard line and try to hit the crossbar time after time. By the time I was 19 or 20, most people couldn't tell which one was my stronger foot.
4) In his younger days at least, Best was a diligent defender.

Joe Lovejoy said:
Tackling, another of Best's strengths, came naturally.
George Best said:
That was a matter of pride. Sir Matt always said that I was probably the best tackler at the club, and that was a hell of a compliment.I actually enjoyed the physical side of it. I had people trying to kick me, and if they took the ball away from me it was an insult. I wanted it back. I remember once we played at Birmingham, and Noel Cantwell was captain at the time. It was a really muddy day, and towards the end of the game oel made a run down the left, someone knocked the ball off to their right-winger, and Noel was caught out of position, with no hope of getting back. 'George' he said 'do you think you can get there?' I thought: I'll get back alright. I was a skinny eighteen year old kid, in six inches of mud, but I chased this winger for fifty or sixty yards and tackled him to get the ball out for a throw-in. I felt so chuffed. I felt like Superman when I got up after the tackle. I got him.
It's a general point that I've wanted to make for a while but Best's work ethic as a younger man was incredible by all accounts. He's similar to Mike Tyson in that their steep, premature decline as their personal lives got out of control have led to the perception that they were always lazy and skated by on natural talent, whereas both seem to have been freakishly hard trainers in their youth.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The footballing reason for starting Ardiles was that he'd offer more defensive support to Sansom, but that wasn't really the deciding factor. This is good:

:lol:

He looks like Super Mario Brothers

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
congrats @Ecstatic , btw you should really try to watch a bit more of Ardiles because based of your comment you are not that familiar with and he was a lovely player. Underrated as feck in drafts(not this game but usually) which is not surprise as people here have very little time for support players.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I really like Ardiles too. He's a lot like Modric as a player imo, just without being in the right time to get a move to a hugely powerful, money-laden Madrid while doing a similar role for Tottenham.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

:lol:

congrats @Ecstatic , btw you should really try to watch a bit more of Ardiles because based of your comment you are not that familiar with and he was a lovely player. Underrated as feck in drafts(not this game but usually) which is not surprise as people here have very little time for support players.
Thanks.

He is generally unpicked, which means he's underrated for sure.

As far as I'm concerned, I picked him in the past

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/reserves-draft-downcast-6-7-tuppet.416598/

I was more questioning his role but you didn't have the time to make videos I guess

I thought the following team was more obvious

Gullit/Henry
Henry/Best-----------------Best/Gullit
Ardiles/Hoddle--------- Souness
Cerezo
Samson---Mcgrath------Chivadze---Bergomi​

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Well played @Ecstatic . Quality team you have, and I liked Junior's midfield role a lot.
Cheers! I thought it would have been @oneniltothearsenal who will have made a comment about Leo.

I like your players and teams and really thought you would have a similar tactical system than mine.

Fast and flexible trio: stars there
Souness=Vieira
Ardiles= Leo
Cerezo= Luis )))) not really the same style though
defence
no #10

I also think that you could have won this game with the team suggested above.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Ecstatic if you read our OP you would see that we pretty much covered the formation you posted last night, only difference is that id rather have Souness sitting with Cerezo given more freedom rather then the other way around.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Ecstatic if you read our OP you would see that we pretty much covered the formation you posted last night, only difference is that id rather have Souness sitting with Cerezo given more freedom rather then the other way around.
I have read your OP but you know voters react differently depending the picture.