Auction-Trade Madness Draft - R1: Oaencha vs Raees/Invictus

With players at career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

....................................... TEAM OAENCHA .................................................................................... TEAM RAEES/INVICTUS ..................................

TEAM OAENCHA

We are set up in an attacking 4-3-3 formation with a focus on getting the ball to the devastating trio of Messi, Batistuta and Neymar. I’m going to keep the write up simple but will be here to elaborate and answer any questions.
  • Messi and Neymar both have free roles on the flanks and will be supported by Suurbier and Maxwell.
  • Netzer will collect the ball from deep and push forward, utilising his exceptional passing skills to create chances for the attack.
  • Albertini is playing as a deep playmaker but will drop back to help defend when the team is under pressure.
  • Couto, Vidic and Gattuso will form ‘The triangle of hard bastards’ and give Pele, Kubala and Nordahl as little time and space as possible.
TEAM RAEES/INVICTUS

• Formation: 4-3-1-2 that can split wider as a Christmas Tree, of sorts, if need be.
  • Ideology: Fairly direct and robust given the nature of attack, but with the nous to control possession to stifle the game.

Neuer
is one of the best keepers in the draft and of all time. Given his trademark style of play in terms of using his feet in the build-up phase or launching counters with his hands, he can be the ideal genesis of several attacks as well. Puppeteering the slightly staggered defense is perhaps the greatest defensive organizer in all of football - Gatenao Scirea. A couple were marginally better pure defenders in the uppermost echelon of defensive play, others offered more in certain aspects - but none could match Scirea's ability to leave his imprint on the entire structure in inimitable fashion and orchestrate his team from back while boasting GOAT tier defensive nous. To the right of him is former Argentina captain, and one of the great South American defenders - Roberto Perfumo. His modern day equivalent would be someone like Godín - neither pure sweeper nor pure stopper - but somewhere in between - a complete no-frills centerback who had advanced positional awareness, innate leadership qualities and battle-hardy tackling mentality to go with it - forming a formidable bank of two in tandem with Scirea. To the left of Scirea is Christian Panucci - a typically defensively sound Italian fullback on either flank who could also slot in seamlessly at center-half while being tidy on the ball. Panucci will play a slightly reserved game with the freedom to tuck in ever to slightly - which should suit him and help contain the opposition's most prominent offensive threat as well. Will he silence Messi? Of course not, no one could consistently stop Messi in his tracks. However, Panucci's knack for tracking ball-carriers and right-footedness will serve him well vs. left footed Messi as he drifts inwards. Completing the defense is a bona fide X-Factor, Manfred Kaltz - whose crossing threat is perhaps second best to only Beckham down the right - and suits our offensive cast to a tee given their individual and collective prowess in the air as Manny's renowned GOAT-ish level Bananenflanken will add an extra wrinkle to our team composition:
Kaltz was famous for his right-footed crosses, which he hit with so much spin that they curved like a banana. They were affectionately called "Bananenflanken" ("banana crosses"). He often used this technique to set up hulking striker Horst Hrubesch, whose 96 goals with HSV included many from Kaltz crosses that Hrubesch headed into the opposing goal. Hrubesch once described their partnership when he explained one of his goals with the often quoted words "Manni banana, I head, goal".
Patrolling the defensive midfield third is Two Time World Champion, Zito - a precursor to the likes of Makelélé in the post-modern era, Zito was a renowned midfield organizer - with a knack for being in the right place at the right time to mitigate danger as the defensive pivot for Brazil's attacking behemoth as well as Santos' nigh all-conquering '60s team (which is considered by many to be one of the greatest club teams of all time). Pretty much the ideal building block as holding/defensive midfielder for our setup. To the left of him is arguably the finest left-half in football history and the first Eastern European Ballon D'Or winner, Josef Masopust - a dominant force in his half of the field, he will play a big part in our build-up play with his strength in possession, drag markers slightly wider towards his favorite inside and outside left channels (thus providing auxiliary width), and link up with the forwards with his ability to go on surging runs. On the right is arguably the most dynamic and irrepressible box-to-box midfielder since the days of Davids and Keane - Arturo Vidal. An enforcer par supreme, Vidal's infectious energy and drive and ball-winning/pressing ability and verticality is the ideal complement for Masopust and Zito, and his prowess as a supplementary goalscorer should keep should keep the opposition midfielders on edge as well. Also crucial is Vidal's knack for driving onto the outside channels - mirroring Masopust on the left - where Il Guerriero can link up with Kaltz.

Spearheading the attack is one of the most clinical and brutal classic strikers of all time, record 5 time Serie A Top Scorer as Capocannoniere, the most efficient goalscorer in Serie A ever with 0.77 goals/match, and the highest scorer for Milan to date - Gunnar Nordahl. A behemoth in the opposition box, naturally athletic and quick despite his imposing frame - boasting devastating power and aerial dominance, Nordahl will stretch the field and look to unsettle the defense. In an offset attacker role on to his right is László Kubala:
Elected by the socios in 1999 as the greatest Barcelona player of the 20th Century, the Hungarian striker spent a decade at the Camp Nou, winning four Liga titles and five Spanish Cups before joining the backroom staff in 1961. He scored 280 goals, was a tremendously quick dribbler with an armoury comprising forceful, accurate shooting, terrific timing and the inside-forward's ability to co-ordinate an entire attacking strategy with his passing and prompting. "Kubala was one of the best there has ever been," said Alfredo Di Stéfano on Kubala's death in 2002. "His game was pure, crystalline, a real joy for the fans."
And in a free role in the eye of the storm is perhaps the greatest of them all, Pelé - who has the license to pretty much do what his heart desires as an all-encompassing titan in attack, because that would be the best role for him, in our opinion.
“Pelé was the only footballer who surpassed the boundaries of logic.” - Johan Cruyff

Enigma_87

You know who
@Oaencha Albertini and Gattuso should be swapped IMO. Albertini was best as a DLP as well as Gattuso as a defensive B2B - purely for graphic depiction would be better.

Also how will Netzer and Albertini work together?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
@Oaencha Albertini and Gattuso should be swapped IMO. Albertini was best as a DLP as well as Gattuso as a defensive B2B - purely for graphic depiction would be better.
Agreed, that was my initial thought as well.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I always thought Panucci's peak was on the right. Against Messi it'll be a mismatch. Except for this it's an exceptional team.

Gattuso as deepest player also is not optimal. He's an all action midfielder and not really a Desailly type DM to partner with Albertini. Rest are fine against this opponent.

Oaencha

I see where you’re coming from but as mentioned in the write up Albertini is playing as a DLP and will drop back (arrows) alongside Gattuso when the team is under pressure. I placed Gattuso deeper in this match because of his engine and closing down skills. I feel he will be needed more in front of Couto and Vidic than in central midfield due to the threat of Pelé.

Netzer and Albertini are both different types of playmakers and should compliment each other well. Albertini is more defensive minded and will be pulling the strings in our half. Netzer will drive the ball forward, supplying the attack.

Oaencha

I always thought Panucci's peak was on the right. Against Messi it'll be a mismatch. Except for this it's an exceptional team.

Gattuso as deepest player also is not optimal. He's an all action midfielder and not really a Desailly type DM to partner with Albertini. Rest are fine against this opponent.
Personally, I thought Albertini’s skillset was similar to Pirlo; deep playmaker, great passing skills, dictated the tempo of the game. Gattuso and Pirlo were a great combo for Milan and this is what I was going for.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Panucci was very comfortable on the left-flank, mate. Like a lot of Italian defenders through the years (Gentile being one of the more prominent examples - initially starting out as a leftback under Trapattoni's management), he could play all across the defense (specializing as a fullback). You're correct in that he played on the right for the most part, but that element of versatility should serve us well in a one-off match. For reference, Capello had no qualms putting him on the left vs. Barcelona in a Champions League final:

As a right footed player, we feel he'll be a better fit vs. Messi (who'll cut inwards with his left foot) than Gordillo.

Oaencha

@Raees @Invictus

I really like the look of your team; you’ve both done a good job. I’m struggling to find much to nitpick about but why is Panucci on the left? I always thought he was a bit underrated but also a CB/RB. I can’t ever remember him playing on the left.

Deleted member 101472

Albertini- My hero

I can’t remember which point of the season it was, but Atletico v Real Madrid in the 02/03 season is one of my life’s most hilarious moments.

We were 16/17 at the time and my mates had started gambling. One in particular had an 8 game accumulator on that weekend and had £50on it. He had 7 results in already, and he had Real Madrid to win this game. Then Albertini does this in the 96th minute, to draw it level. Athletico hadn’t looked threatening at all, and my mate had been talking about hiring a helicopter to fly him away for a holiday in Spain. Had Albertini not scored, my mate would have won £17000. Oh, how we laughed.

Oaencha

I guess that has answered my question! Still feel it’s incredibly risky putting him up next to a GOAT though.

Deleted member 101472

Panucci was very comfortable on the left-flank, mate. Like a lot of Italian defenders through the years (Gentile being one of the more prominent examples - initially starting out as a leftback under Trapattoni's management), he could play all across the defense (specializing as a fullback). You're correct in that he played on the right for the most part, but that element of versatility should serve us well in a one-off match. For reference, Capello had no qualms putting him on the left vs. Barcelona in a Champions League final:

As a right footed player, we feel he'll be a better fit vs. Messi (who'll cut inwards with his left foot) than Gordillo.

I’ve seen this argument a few times, but it’s really a non point. Messi will just go around the outside at will against Panucci.

Oaencha

@Raees @Invictus

I can’t find anything about it in your write up but are any of your players man marking or specifically tracking Messi, Batistuta, Neymar or Netzer?

Oaencha

@Arbitrium

That’s a horrific but pretty funny story. Does that mean you have un unconscious (or conscious) loathing of Albertini?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@Raees @Invictus

I can’t find anything about it in your write up but are any of your players man marking or specifically tracking Messi, Batistuta, Neymar or Netzer,
Only Messi is individually marked, rest is zone - and we feel that Scirea is perfect to engineer that scheme.

GAETANO SCIREA

Serie A (7): 1974/75, 1976/77, 1977/78, 1980/81, 1981/82, 1983/84, 1985/86
UEFA Cup (1): 1976/77
Coppa Italy (2): 1978/79, 1982/83
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1983/84
UEFA Super Cup (1): 1984
European Cup (1): 1984/85
Intercontinental Cup (1) : 1985
World Cup (1): 1982
World Cup (Fourth place): 1978
Ideal World Cup Team: 1982
UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 1980
Italian Football Hall of Fame

Gaetano Scirea is one of the best defenders the world has ever seen, and the best defender of the World in the 1st half of the 1980s. Though paradoxically, he is also one of the most underrated footballers of all-time. An impeccable defender first and foremost, he also boasted great vision and ball controlling skills and tactical ability, played the sweeper, or libero, role for most of his career, and contributed to the development of this position initiated by Franz Beckenbauer in the 1970s. Considered a legend of Italian football, he played most of his career with Juventus, club with which he conquered 7 times the Serie A, 2 times the Coppa Italia, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 European Cup and 1 Cup Intercontinental. Endowed with extraordinary defensive qualities and a large number of tactical and technical resources, he also possessed a formidable reading of the game and a great handling of the times for the mark and the interception of balls. With Italy he was protagonist of the World Cups of 1978 and 1982, in this last tournament winning the title and being selected in the ideal team of the competition. In the latter parts of his career, Scirea played a more defensive central-defender role, which he excelled at just the same. Also renowned for his disciplinary acumen, he was never sent-off or suspended in his career.

The epitome of decency, chivalry, courage, skill, talent and even personality, Gaetano Scirea has been long forgotten in the footballing world. A silent guardian, Scirea single-handedly constructed the back four of the World Cup winning Italian side in 1982. He also played crucial and vital roles for his club side Juventus. Operating as a Sweeper, who plays behind the Center Back, Scirea kept Franco Baresi, out of the National Team. In his 16 year career, Scirea has won almost every trophy there is to win, including a World Cup. Scirea is one of only five players in European football history to have won all international trophies for football clubs recognized by UEFA and FIFA. Scirea is also one of only nine players in the history of the European football to win all three major UEFA football competitions. It can be said the Gaetano Scirea wrote poetry in football .
http://www.thehardtackle.com/2014/gaetano-scirea-a-forgotten-legend/

ROBERTO PERFUMO

Argentine League (1): 1966
Copa Libertadores (1): 1967
Intercontinental Cup (1): 1967
Mineiro Championship (3): 1972, 1973, 1974
Taça Minas Gerais (1): 1973
Metropolitan Championship (2): 1975, 1977
National Championship (1): 1977

El Mariscal (Eng: The Marshal) Roberto Perfumo was one of the best central defenders in the world in late 1960s and is one of the most underrated defenders overall. Perfumo was a tough defender in both ground and aerial game. He also had a great in technical function and is very good in ball passing. During his career with Racing club, El Grafico rate him in twice world-class seasons in the late-60s. Afterwards, he was signed for Cruzeiro in Brazil and stay there for full 3 seasons prior to back to his country with River Plate and El Grafico rate him in the first season there. With Argentina, he was a bulwark of the squads that appeared in the World Cups of 1966 and 1974. Perfumo totally played for Argentina for a decade and retired his career at 36 years old.
Perfumo played against England in the 1966 World Cup quarter-final at Wembley, captained Argentina in a friendly at Wembley in 1974 (score 2-2) at the age of 33 and is regarded as Argentina's most elegant, shrewdest, toughest defender. His only rival is Daniel Passarella. Maradona's verdict? 'Forget Passarella. Perfumo was our real Kaiser.'
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2002/may/19/worldcupfootball2002.football2
The Argentine FA chooses its greatest XI of all time

With the hashtag #Chosenones the AFA published the greatest Argentinian team of all time. It is unquestionably an all-conquering equipazo playing in a 4-3-3 formation:

Roberto Perfumo: Nicknamed ‘El Mariscal’ – The Marshall – he’s considered one of the best central defenders who had the ability to mark a player out of existence.
https://as.com/diarioas/2016/01/04/english/1451939318_274456.html

Deleted member 101472

@Arbitrium

That’s a horrific but pretty funny story. Does that mean you have un unconscious (or conscious) loathing of Albertini?
No, he's a hero. I actually just posted that link to my mates facebook page, just to remind him.

I went with invictus/raees here because i don't rate maxwell, vidic and couto as a defensive unit. It would be a close game and i think messi embarrasses panucci all game but just give the edge to them.

Oaencha

I’m actually pretty surprised and that gives me a pretty big advantage in attack.

Scrirea and Perfumo are going to be busy with Batistuta.

Panucci doesn’t stand a chance against Messi so trying to mark him seems a bit pointless.

If Kaltz isn’t marking Neymar he’s going to get turned inside out.

I thought Zito would be picking up Netzer because his passing skills make him a big threat if unchecked.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Albertini- My hero

I can’t remember which point of the season it was, but Atletico v Real Madrid in the 02/03 season is one of my life’s most hilarious moments.

We were 16/17 at the time and my mates had started gambling. One in particular had an 8 game accumulator on that weekend and had £50on it. He had 7 results in already, and he had Real Madrid to win this game. Then Albertini does this in the 96th minute, to draw it level. Athletico hadn’t looked threatening at all, and my mate had been talking about hiring a helicopter to fly him away for a holiday in Spain. Had Albertini not scored, my mate would have won £17000. Oh, how we laughed.

:lol: That is fecking brutal!

Oaencha

No, he's a hero. I actually just posted that link to my mates facebook page, just to remind him.

I went with invictus/raees here because i don't rate maxwell, vidic and couto as a defensive unit. It would be a close game and i think messi embarrasses panucci all game but just give the edge to them.
Fair enough! I value your imput. Does it make any difference to your view knowing that Neymar, Batistuta and Netzer are not being man-marked/tracked?

Deleted member 101472

Fair enough! I value your imput. Does it make any difference to your view knowing that Neymar, Batistuta and Netzer are not being man-marked/tracked?
I really don't rate neymar that highly to be honest (maybe because i think he's a little prick) and his best performances for barca came when messi was missing.

its close margins.

Enigma_87

You know who
I see where you’re coming from but as mentioned in the write up Albertini is playing as a DLP and will drop back (arrows) alongside Gattuso when the team is under pressure. I placed Gattuso deeper in this match because of his engine and closing down skills. I feel he will be needed more in front of Couto and Vidic than in central midfield due to the threat of Pelé.

Netzer and Albertini are both different types of playmakers and should compliment each other well. Albertini is more defensive minded and will be pulling the strings in our half. Netzer will drive the ball forward, supplying the attack.

I really like your attack mate. Think it's pretty well constructed and Netzer pulling the strings without a designated #10 is as good as it gets.

It's fine margins for me and I rate Raees/Invictus defence couple of notches above, considering also Neuer at goal.

Going with Invictus/Raees due to the defence and Pele having a great game here, but will follow the discussion closely.

Oaencha

I really like your attack mate. Think it's pretty well constructed and Netzer pulling the strings without a designated #10 is as good as it gets.

It's fine margins for me and I rate Raees/Invictus defence couple of notches above, considering also Neuer at goal.

Going with Invictus/Raees due to the defence and Pele having a great game here, but will follow the discussion closely.
Thank you, I appreciate your imput. I would rate my defence slightly weaker but Preud'homme was an exceptional keeper and there really isn’t that much between Panucci/Kaltz and Suurbier/Maxwell. Especially as Panucci/Kaltz are getting directly attacked by Messi/Neymar.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I’m actually pretty surprised and that gives me a pretty big advantage in attack.

Scrirea and Perfumo are going to be busy with Batistuta.

Panucci doesn’t stand a chance against Messi so trying to mark him seems a bit pointless.

If Kaltz isn’t marking Neymar he’s going to get turned inside out.

I thought Zito would be picking up Netzer because his passing skills make him a big threat if unchecked.
Mate, let's keep it reasonable, please. :)

“Doesn't stand a chance”, “get turned inside out” is a bit unbecoming because we can use the same arguments in favor of Pelé, Kubala, Masopust, Nordahl and co. Simply stating that your players are going to man-mark them and claiming the issues are resolved isn't some magical formula that will stop them in their tracks. From a purely objective standpoint, sans bias, I'd say our defense is a tier above as a unit, and it's orchestrated by a pristine defensive general in Scirea (who was renowned for his organisational prowess) - not saying that just to try and win this game, but that would probably be my general assessment as a neutral - and I don't think many would disagree with that, either. Additionally, I reckon the finely balanced midfield setup gives us a very stable buffer zone in both phases of the game. Both teams should be able to create plenty of chances because of the respective Front 4s — Pelé, Kubala, Masopust, Nordahl and Messi, Batistuta, Netzer, Neymar are all very good, but I'd definitely back our defense and midfield to keep a better check on the opposition than vice versa - which is what will ultimately decide the match, IMO.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I don't like Neymar in an all time side any more than Kane tbh (although I think Neymar has slightly better credentials) but its really hard to look past the Messi-Panucci mismatch. esspeically with Panucci man marking Messi.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't like Neymar in an all time side any more than Kane tbh (although I think Neymar has slightly better credentials) but its really hard to look past the Messi-Panucci mismatch. esspeically with Panucci man marking Messi.
They're both still writing their story, but that's still harsh on Neymar. In an all-time draft, Kane's body of work outside the English league is almost non-existent. Whereas Neymar has not only done plenty domestically, he also has 53 international goals, a few solid campaigns in the Champions League, a strong World Cup, etc.

Both Messi and Neymar should have good games here. Equally though so should Pele and Kubala.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
They're both still writing their story, but that's still harsh on Neymar. In an all-time draft, Kane's body of work outside the English league is almost non-existent. Whereas Neymar has not only done plenty domestically, he also has 53 international goals, a few solid campaigns in the Champions League, a strong World Cup, etc.

Both Messi and Neymar should have good games here. Equally though so should Pele and Kubala.
For Neymar its not harsh so much as what I am comparing him to. I'd agree that putting him in the same category as Kane would be harsh but I meant more how unfinished his career is. For me Neymar still needs to prove himself to be at a certain level in a historical sense. If his career ended today for instance, I don't think he has done enough to be ranked historically above a Lato or Rensenbrink for instance.

Whereas If he produces a really strong World Cup this summer taking Brazil to the final match, produces a compelling performance for PSG either against Real next match or next year then that dramatically increases his historical stock. Or he could flop at the WC and in the CL with PSG the next two years and his historical rank decreases quite a bit. So sure we can rate them based on exactly what they have achieved so far, but its a much more incomplete picture (and possibly wrong due to purple patches or career nadirs) than people in the Godin, Messi age range where we can much more accurately rate their careers.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Neymar has achieved a lot in his short career, strong domestic, CL and WC and he's very likely to end up as Brazil's all time top scorer. He's definitely done a lot more than Kane. Although i do agree he's not top level because of lack of longevity, which will only be resolved with him continuing to play at a high level until he retires.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Neymar has achieved a lot in his short career, strong domestic, CL and WC and he's very likely to end up as Brazil's all time top scorer. He's definitely done a lot more than Kane. Although i do agree he's not top level because of lack of longevity, which will only be resolved with him continuing to play at a high level until he retires.
How far away from ranking him at Kaka level do you think he is?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Worked well with another playmaker in Beckenbauer, I guess — but I would've preferred another runner — or an anchorman to move Gattuso higher.

Enigma_87

You know who
For Neymar its not harsh so much as what I am comparing him to. I'd agree that putting him in the same category as Kane would be harsh but I meant more how unfinished his career is. For me Neymar still needs to prove himself to be at a certain level in a historical sense. If his career ended today for instance, I don't think he has done enough to be ranked historically above a Lato or Rensenbrink for instance.

Whereas If he produces a really strong World Cup this summer taking Brazil to the final match, produces a compelling performance for PSG either against Real next match or next year then that dramatically increases his historical stock. Or he could flop at the WC and in the CL with PSG the next two years and his historical rank decreases quite a bit. So sure we can rate them based on exactly what they have achieved so far, but its a much more incomplete picture (and possibly wrong due to purple patches or career nadirs) than people in the Godin, Messi age range where we can much more accurately rate their careers.
I like Lato but I think Neymar already has done better than him. Take that WC away from him and I don't think you can compare the two without giving Neymar the edge pretty much everywhere. With Rensenbrink is tough as I probably rate him more than others around here.

Enigma_87

You know who
Worked well with another playmaker in Beckenbauer, I guess — but I would've preferred another runner — or an anchorman to move Gattuso higher.
But not so well with Overath, albeit for also different reasons apart from purely their style.

I'd probably have more Real's Breitner type of playmaker to combine with Netzer. At Real Netzer(after the first season) showed great form but as you said I'd probably have someone more mobile midfielder to let him run the game, as between the two Netzer is the main playmaker of the side(not that he can't share).

With Albertini and Gattuso I'd probably like to see a diamond - Netzer on top, Albertini at the base and flanked by two box to box midfielders - close to the early 00's Milan setup.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I like Lato but I think Neymar already has done better than him. Take that WC away from him and I don't think you can compare the two without giving Neymar the edge pretty much everywhere. With Rensenbrink is tough as I probably rate him more than others around here.
This is where you get unfair 1to1 comparisons due to generations. Lato wasn't allowed by the Polish FA to play abroad until he was 30. Neymar plays in an era where he got into one of the elite 2 teams in the world of this era then went to the richest team ever in history at a young age. Its hard to make a factual comparison with those different circumstances but at the moment I would personally take Lato over Neymar every time.

Neymar has the opportunity to change my mind in a few weeks and this summer. Until then, its too soon for me to rate him that high historically.

Deleted member 101472

@Oaencha dont forget your opposition started with a 2 vote deficit, unless they can clear up the Nilton santos ghost sell mystery.