Auction-Trade Madness Draft - R1: Oaencha vs Raees/Invictus

With players at career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I see where you’re coming from but as mentioned in the write up Albertini is playing as a DLP and will drop back (arrows) alongside Gattuso when the team is under pressure. I placed Gattuso deeper in this match because of his engine and closing down skills. I feel he will be needed more in front of Couto and Vidic than in central midfield due to the threat of Pelé.

Netzer and Albertini are both different types of playmakers and should compliment each other well. Albertini is more defensive minded and will be pulling the strings in our half. Netzer will drive the ball forward, supplying the attack.
Yeah I think it works quite well. Albertini was well rounded, adapted to different set-ups and didn't require much in the way of accommodation from his managers.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not really sold on R/I front three and their left flank, but Pele will have a better game than Messi here, imo.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm not really sold on R/I front three and their left flank, but Pele will have a better game than Messi here, imo.
He has Suurbier behind him. Panucci is a decent defender even at left, but this is stacked against him. With Messi dragging Scirea out, I reckon Batigol will have a great game.

Kubala is a second striker too and with Pele there are redundancies there. Kubala/Nordahl or Pele/Nordahl will be more balanced imo.

I think Raevictus will have lots of joy in middle, but Oaencha will score equally well on the counter. A proper pivot DM (Stiles or Monti etc) would have done so much more for Oaencha.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
IIRC correctly Albertini in his younger days was more box-to-box than later on. If this is correct Oaencha could have set up the midfield thee this way:

Albertini---Gattuso--
--------Netzer-------
--------Back 4--------

At least in Euro 72 he played really deep at times with two box-to-box midfielders- it was a very unorthodox position but would move Gattuso to his favoured RCM position with Netzer in one of his best roles.

Oaencha

Apologies, just got back from the vets. Sick cat and £400 lighter.

Oaencha

I will have a catch up and reply to any posts.

What’s this about a 2 point defecit? I doubt it will make a difference regardless.

Oaencha

Pele is a legend but I’m not sure I agree with this. Messi has free reign on the right against Panucci who isn’t playing in his best position. Pele is going to have less space with Gattuso, Albertini, Vidic and Couto all through the middle.

Moby

Dick
Gattuso is many things but defensively suspect he isn't and would be something that might slow down The King a bit.

However prime Nemanja is well suited to snuff out the Nordahl danger here.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Pele is a legend but I’m not sure I agree with this. Messi has free reign on the right against Panucci who isn’t playing in his best position. Pele is going to have less space with Gattuso, Albertini, Vidic and Couto all through the middle.
I think instead of hyper-focusing on the Panucci part which has been brought up over and over and over again even though we've already mentioned in our OP writeup that Panucci is unlikely to stop Messi, and contrasting it with Pelé, the team and mechanics therein as a whole should be considered. Gattuso and Albertini will have to mind others as well in Masopust (Ballon D'Or winner and best midfielder on the park) and Vidal - as will Vidić and Couto (who's getting a bit of a free ride here considering the level, strangely enough - even though he's up against the most clinical striker in Serie A history). We can also claim that Messi will be stifled by a combination of man-marking, Masopust putting in a shift in the defense work as a left-half, and Scirea sweeping up, but that would be disingenuous commentary because Pelé and Messi can both conjure something out of thin air in a moment on inspiration regardless of a lack of space or time - that's why they're greatest of the greats.

e.g. Here's Pelé on the grandest stage in world football - facing a magnificent Italian defense boasting the likes of Facchetti and Rosato and being marked by Burgnich, and he still manages to leave an indelible impact on the game:

"There he is, the grandmaster, the King of football."
"I told myself before the game, 'he's made of skin and bones just like everyone else'. But I was wrong.”
Tarcisio Burgnich, the Italy defender who marked Pele in the Mexico 1970 Final

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Gattuso is many things but defensively suspect he isn't and would be something that might slow down The King a bit.

However prime Nemanja is well suited to snuff out the Nordahl danger here.
Couto too. You can’t imagine either of those two giving up much in the battle or in the air.

Oaencha

@Raees

Was just checking the votes and it says you have voted for me. That can’t be right, can it?

Indnyc

You shouldn't be voting for the opposition though.. People sometimes switch votes based on the score

Enigma_87

You know who
How is it a standard tactic? Why not just vote for your own team?
When it’s two vs one it looks like one team has advantage in the votes which don’t count. But in tight matches there are some cases in the past where voters would vote for a draw hence its better to look like the other team has the vote “advantage”

Oaencha

When it’s two vs one it looks like one team has advantage in the votes which don’t count. But in tight matches there are some cases in the past where voters would vote for a draw hence its better to look like the other team has the vote “advantage”
That makes sense. I guess it’s not against the rules but it’s a bit off if that is the reason. I couldn’t ever see myself doing that.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Albertini- My hero

I can’t remember which point of the season it was, but Atletico v Real Madrid in the 02/03 season is one of my life’s most hilarious moments.

We were 16/17 at the time and my mates had started gambling. One in particular had an 8 game accumulator on that weekend and had £50on it. He had 7 results in already, and he had Real Madrid to win this game. Then Albertini does this in the 96th minute, to draw it level. Athletico hadn’t looked threatening at all, and my mate had been talking about hiring a helicopter to fly him away for a holiday in Spain. Had Albertini not scored, my mate would have won £17000. Oh, how we laughed.

:lol: Even Del Bosque is laughing at your mate at 1:00

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Very underwhelming defences, neither looks able to stop the other team.

Would be a goalfest but not sure the better attack prevails when the other team is far more capable of exerting midfield control.

Oaencha

Very underwhelming defences, neither looks able to stop the other team.

Would be a goalfest but not sure the better attack prevails when the other team is far more capable of exerting midfield control.
Thank you for your feedback. I agree about the full backs but all four centre backs and both goalkeepers are excellent players. What are your views on Messi and Neymar vs Panucci and Kaltz? This in my opinion is where my biggest advantage is.

Enigma_87

You know who
That makes sense. I guess it’s not against the rules but it’s a bit off if that is the reason. I couldn’t ever see myself doing that.
Usually is harmless as regular voters know how it works and that manager votes doesn't count.

Enigma_87

You know who
This is where you get unfair 1to1 comparisons due to generations. Lato wasn't allowed by the Polish FA to play abroad until he was 30. Neymar plays in an era where he got into one of the elite 2 teams in the world of this era then went to the richest team ever in history at a young age. Its hard to make a factual comparison with those different circumstances but at the moment I would personally take Lato over Neymar every time.

Neymar has the opportunity to change my mind in a few weeks and this summer. Until then, its too soon for me to rate him that high historically.
yeah you are right in some sense mate, although Neymar has proven himself at the highest level, whereas Lato for example really didn't at club level for one reason or another. Rensenbrink for example has a pretty solid credentials in Europe and coupled with his WC feats and in a strong at a time Belguim league is the better player for me when it comes to credentials(and stylistically as well for that matter).

Deleted member 101472

I changed my vote based on some reading up about netzar and the messi Batistuta partnership is just too :drool: to vote against.

Enigma_87

You know who
This is where you get unfair 1to1 comparisons due to generations. Lato wasn't allowed by the Polish FA to play abroad until he was 30. Neymar plays in an era where he got into one of the elite 2 teams in the world of this era then went to the richest team ever in history at a young age. Its hard to make a factual comparison with those different circumstances but at the moment I would personally take Lato over Neymar every time.

Neymar has the opportunity to change my mind in a few weeks and this summer. Until then, its too soon for me to rate him that high historically.
yeah you are right in some sense mate, although Neymar has proven himself at the highest level, whereas Lato for example really didn't at club level for one reason or another. Rensenbrink for example has a pretty solid credentials in Europe and coupled with his WC feats and in a strong at a time Belguim league is the better player for me when it comes to credentials(and stylistically as well for that matter).

Skizzo

I’m sure I said it before, but I think a manager and assistant manager vote should count if placed on the other team. Not saying anything shady is taking place here, but as mentioned above, it can sometimes skew people who look at the votes.

I assume Raees and Invictus placed a vote apiece so they cancel out in the scoring, but then when Oaencha votes for his team, it skews it his way through no doing or his own. A manager and AM can discuss the score in PM to find out who’s winning etc, but if they do both vote because they want to see the score, it should be done on their own team only.

In my ever so humble opinion at least.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I’m sure I said it before, but I think a manager and assistant manager vote should count if placed on the other team. Not saying anything shady is taking place here, but as mentioned above, it can sometimes skew people who look at the votes.

I assume Raees and Invictus placed a vote apiece so they cancel out in the scoring, but then when Oaencha votes for his team, it skews it his way through no doing or his own. A manager and AM can discuss the score in PM to find out who’s winning etc, but if they do both vote because they want to see the score, it should be done on their own team only.

Yeah, even as an occasional perpetrator of said act I agree. It would be easy enough to bypass just by switching the vote back to your own team before the poll closes, but then hilarity would ensue if someone forgot to do that and they lost as a result.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I don't see Neymar as proven at the highest level yet. For me his MSN accomplishments weren't really him proving himself at highest level since he was only ever the third best attacker there with arguably Iniesta and Busquets still more important to the side's overall tactics. That's why to me he needs a big WC this summer or really prove himself as PSG's top dog to establish himself at the highest level.

Lato has 10g 7a in 20 WC matches helping Poland to two 3rd place finishes plus an Olympic Gold in '72. That's about as proven as he could possibly be at the highest level in the 1970s Polish FA. Its why using team achievements is unfair for comparison since he never had a chance to play abroad in his prime.

Oaencha

I changed my vote based on some reading up about netzar and the messi Batistuta partnership is just too :drool: to vote against.
Netzer was a fascinating personality and an incredible player. The opportunity to have him feeding Messi, Batistuta and Neymar was too good to pass up.

Oaencha

I agree with this; it does skew how the votes look. Personally I can’t see any reason why the manager and AM are both allowed to vote anyway. It should just be the managers.