Television Away - Netflix Sci-Fi Drama

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Reviews have been terrible and even my parents gave up on it, which is the ultimate death knell.

Ainu

I've been trying to watch this because I desperately want good sci-fi to watch, but 4 episodes in I think I'm ready to give up. It's so poorly written, full of clichés and forced drama. It also makes everyone involved look woefully underqualified. None of these people seem fit to be an astronaut, let alone go on the most important manned space mission in history. It feels like everyone, including the entire NASA mission control, are just making shit up as they go. You'd imagine the real NASA having tons of protocols and possible courses of action for every possibly contingency, yet here they seem stumped by even the most mundane difficulty.

It's well produced and well acted, but the script is dreadful. In short: stay away indeed.

It was alright.

I expect there is a lot more “making it up as we go” and flapping around at NASA than they make out in real life.

Did feel like a bit of a chore to finish it off. It could have probably been cut in half and we wouldn’t have lost much.

Bobski

I've been trying to watch this because I desperately want good sci-fi to watch, but 4 episodes in I think I'm ready to give up. It's so poorly written, full of clichés and forced drama. It also makes everyone involved look woefully underqualified. None of these people seem fit to be an astronaut, let alone go on the most important manned space mission in history. It feels like everyone, including the entire NASA mission control, are just making shit up as they go. You'd imagine the real NASA having tons of protocols and possible courses of action for every possibly contingency, yet here they seem stumped by even the most mundane difficulty.

It's well produced and well acted, but the script is dreadful. In short: stay away indeed.
The National Geographic MARS is vastly superior. I have to agree in how unprofessional and given to melodrama the characters appear, in real life these are some of the most accomplished and mentally strongest people our planet has to offer. To be fair it is not as bad in that regard as Another Life, but that is one of the worst shows ever.

Ainu

It was alright.

I expect there is a lot more “making it up as we go” and flapping around at NASA than they make out in real life.

Did feel like a bit of a chore to finish it off. It could have probably been cut in half and we wouldn’t have lost much.
Perhaps, but just look at the whole solar panel farçe.
Apparently their space ship absolutely needs three solar panels to deploy or the crew can't survive, but a solar panel not deploying properly is surely a scenario you're prepared for. How did this thing not get at least four of them to account for some redundancy? That's insane.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I somewhat enjoyed it, but it is too much cliché/stereotype. It is actually propaganda for the US since the Chinese and the Russian have to show cracks and be more human before being accepted. The Russian the lonely drinker, the Chinese the suppressed lesbian who does what is right for her country...

My wife wants me to watch it but it looks far too unrealistic to be credible. More like one of those weird pretend moon base camps in the desert than an actual mission.

It was alright.

Closer to the opposite actually. Everything is planned to the finest details, down to seconds usually. When you study the science and mathematics behind space exploration its astounding how good they are. It's the humans that cause most of the problems.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Closer to the opposite actually. Everything is planned to the finest details, down to seconds usually. When you study the science and mathematics behind space exploration its astounding how good they are. It's the humans that cause most of the problems.
Yeah, these days it has redundancy built in to the Nth degree much like airlines. Even way back to Apollo 13 they were exaggerating the drama of troubleshooting in the movie, not that it’s necessarily a bad thing in this context.

hobbers

Makes Space Force look well written.

Also doesn't help I really dislike Hillary Swank as an actress.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just watching the first episode. When the writing and actors struggle to make a simple mundane conversation sound real, it’s not a good start.

It feels like the quality of a bbc3 comedy.