Awful penalty takers

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
1. Riyad Mahez (o.k guess I'm bitter as he's just cost me 350 quid :lol:) He missed a few for Leicester aswell, I remember Mark fecking Bunn saving one from him when they played us in the title winning season.

Missed 4/6 for City and Leicester.

Juan Pablo Angel was a dodgy penalty taker for us. Missed two in a game v Fulham once (VDS in goal for Fulham and saved both I think).

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
He's a moron. When you missed 3 of your last 5 and have a little bit of brain matter, you dont attempt a penalty like that.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I didn't see it, did he go for the Pirlo/Panenka only for the 'keeper to catch it?

Please tell me he did :D

Reiver

Wasn't there a Brazilian who missed three in the one match for his national team? Maybe not Brazilian but South American?

Edit: Just looked it up. Martin Palermo for Argentina

the_answer

Wasn't there a Brazilian who missed three in the one match for his national team? Maybe not Brazilian but South American?
I remember an Argentinian: Palermo...
was a decent striker apart from that game...

on a different note, the during euros the whole dutch national team missed like 5 penalties.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Martin Palermo, Copa America 1999.

Of other big name players Modric is dodgy at them when you remember his world cup efforts.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Messi's penalty record is 76% which is bang average.

Also, he tends to miss them when they matter a lot. Chelsea 2012, Supercopa vs Atletico can't remember the year, Argentina vs Iceland in WC

Irwin99

Teddy had a bit of a nightmare for us in his first season (97/98). Must have missed 4 or 5 before being taken off penalty duties permanently. I think he wasn't too bad generally for other clubs he took them at.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Mahrez missed five of his last eight pens in the league. Pep will be fuming about that.
He’s a “big picture” sort of fella, the result is acceptable which is the main thing.
He was having a word with Gabriel Jesus after the game maybe telling him that he’s been just been bumped up the pecking order.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Teddy had a bit of a nightmare for us in his first season (97/98). Must have missed 4 or 5 before being taken off penalty duties permanently. I think he wasn't too bad generally for other clubs he took them at.
Haha yes, including on his United debut against Spurs, the club he'd just left. I remember him stepping aside so that Denis Irwin could take one in a Champions League game.

James Peril

Pep instructed Mahrez to take it, big mistake. Jesus was going to take it before the message came from Mendy

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Messi's penalty record is 76% which is bang average.

Also, he tends to miss them when they matter a lot. Chelsea 2012, Supercopa vs Atletico can't remember the year, Argentina vs Iceland in WC
Messi also scored some big ones for Argentina, copa america 2015 final, world cup semi final.

Seemed like for years he hardly missed one so surprised his percentage is lower than 8/10 but obviously take a lot more than average player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's basic stuff even.
I can't play football for shit and I know you don't lean back when taking a kick.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Haha yes, including on his United debut against Spurs, the club he'd just left. I remember him stepping aside so that Denis Irwin could take one in a Champions League game.
Irwin was amazing at them, think he only missed one in his career, similar to Le Tiss!

Whatever people say taking penalties is an art/skill.

IFC 1905

In my club in this season we've got 14 penalties and missed 8 or something like that

All by different players.

We just prefer taking freekicks.

Classical Mechanic

Irwin was amazing at them, think he only missed one in his career, similar to Le Tiss!

Whatever people say taking penalties is an art/skill.
It’s about bottle. Kicking the ball into the corner of the net from 12 yards is easy for a pro footballer, it’s just if they get the hebegebes

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It’s about bottle. Kicking the ball into the corner of the net from 12 yards is easy for a pro footballer, it’s just if they get the hebegebes
Yeah part of that, certainly I feel the occasion of the moment got to Mahrez.

When you watch how likes of RVN and Kane now take penalties by hitting it into the side netting it's also about techniques as not all players can do that with their run up and body shape.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Messi also scored some big ones for Argentina, copa america 2015 final, world cup semi final.

Seemed like for years he hardly missed one so surprised his percentage is lower than 8/10 but obviously take a lot more than average player.
The global penalty conversion rate is 74% so the number of pens he takes is irrelevant as both his and the global numbers are calculated on a large sample.

Schneckerl

The global penalty conversion rate is 74% so the number of pens he takes is irrelevant as both his and the global numbers are calculated on a large sample.
This doesn't really tell us if he tends to miss more when they are important.

FujiVice

He missed one against us in 1995. Recall him missing one for West Ham in the infamous "all the Spurs team got the shits" game in 2006. He was a bit Wayne Rooney in that he probably scored more than he missed, but he missed way to many for a striker.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
As a kid, I remember Angel missing every time I saw him take a pen. Not sure how good or bad his conversion ratio was, perhaps it was just a coincidence?

Jermaine Defoe has missed a whole lot of penalties too iirc.

My friend who I’m sat next to informs me that Juan Carlos Aguilera was horrific back in the day in La liga, missing 9 of the 18 pens he took, with the ones he scored being far from convincing each time.

Last edited:

witchtrials

When was the last time you saw a goalie penalized for coming off his line when facing a penalty?
Yeah, I've wondered for a while if this is the reason that De Gea has what feels like a pretty average record at penalties (happy to be corrected if that's a false impression, statistically speaking). I feel like he keeps fairly closely to the line, unlike plenty of other keepers.

ZAGREB RED

I don't think Steve Bruce missed many in his time at United.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hasn't Mata got a poor record at them aswell. I remember he was only Chelsea player to miss in CL final and also missed another for them a couple of games before.

Not sure how many he's taken for Man United in his 5 years at the club.