Awful penalty takers

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah, I've wondered for a while if this is the reason that De Gea has what feels like a pretty average record at penalties (happy to be corrected if that's a false impression, statistically speaking). I feel like he keeps fairly closely to the line, unlike plenty of other keepers.
De Gea hasn't saved any of his last 12 or something ridiculous.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
As far as top players go, funny enough, Messi is the one that springs to mind.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Hasn't Mata got a poor record at them aswell. I remember he was only Chelsea player to miss in CL final and also missed another for them a couple of games before.

Not sure how many he's taken for Man United in his 5 years at the club.
Transfermarkt have him down for 10/14 and 3/4 with United. However, I'm pretty sure they don't include shootouts in their stats - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/juan-mata/elfmetertore/spieler/44068

Edit: I don't know know if he's ever taken one in a shootout, mind you, was just saying. Can't remember either way. Checked a couple of other players who definitely have and didn't see those among the stats.

Last edited:

Njord

Think I'll slip John Terry's name into this conversation.

GwilDor

I've heard that it was a direct order from the bench for Mahrez to take for whatever reason. Baffling decision.
Yeah, i saw that in an earlier post in this thread. I’d have thought Silva would be a very good pen taker...

RedCurry

Despite having a good record, I am always nervous when Hazard takes a pen in a way I never was with Lampard. I just hate his penalty taking technique.
Nonsense. Hazard is probably one of the best penalty takers in the league. The dude virtually always sends the keeper the wrong way. I don’t know the stats but I’d bet his record is no worse than Lampard’s.

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica
William Carvalho, he is a good passer but someone should tell him that he is not supposed to pass to GK.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Messi's penalty record is 76% which is bang average.

Also, he tends to miss them when they matter a lot. Chelsea 2012, Supercopa vs Atletico can't remember the year, Argentina vs Iceland in WC
You forgot his biggest miss, in Copa Amercia final, retired from NT right after that kick. Though he came back later.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
What's your issue with Mark Bunn? Northampton Town legend Mark is.

On topic, Berbatov used to scare me whenever he stepped up to take one. Don't think his record is bad though.

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Despite having a good record, I am always nervous when Hazard takes a pen in a way I never was with Lampard. I just hate his penalty taking technique.
I'd get really annoyed when he pulled rank on Hazard because he missed a good few towards the end of his Chelsea career and Hazard had a 100% record.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
William Carvalho, he is a good passer but someone should tell him that he is not supposed to pass to GK.
This. Worst penalty taker I’ve ever seen. What makes it worse is he usually steps up and actually takes them instead of knowing how bad he is at it

Djemba-Djemba

Rooney's penalty record at Utd was bizarre.

He missed about 9 or 10 penalties for us, far too many for such a good player, and yet I'm pretty sure we still won the matches anyway. I don't think any of his misses ever cost us any points.

That must be rather unusual.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, I've wondered for a while if this is the reason that De Gea has what feels like a pretty average record at penalties (happy to be corrected if that's a false impression, statistically speaking). I feel like he keeps fairly closely to the line, unlike plenty of other keepers.
Is your name related to Geralt and his ilk?

Gopher Brown

What's your issue with Mark Bunn? Northampton Town legend Mark is.

On topic, Berbatov used to scare me whenever he stepped up to take one. Don't think his record is bad though.
I never really forgave Berba for that appalling penalty miss against Everton in the FA Cup semi final.

Softly hit right down the middle, absolute dogshite.

Toad

Phil doesn’t even qualify for the awful defender list, he is much lower.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Joos valgaren - missed penalty in the shootout v Valencia ref told him retake it, missed again

To be fair Henrik missed his fair share too mind you

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
According to Transfermarket.com,
Rooney's penalty record at Utd was bizarre.

He missed about 9 or 10 penalties for us, far too many for such a good player, and yet I'm pretty sure we still won the matches anyway. I don't think any of his misses ever cost us any points.

That must be rather unusual.
According to Transfermarket.com, Rooney took 36 penalties for us, scoring 27, but out of those he missed I remember him immediately scoring on the rebound against Liverpool at OT and one against City in the FA cup. So that's 29 out of 36, a success rate of 80%.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Rooney was a weird won. Missed way too many but never important ones

Djemba-Djemba

They often were pretty important though, we just seemed to always get away with it when he missed.

I mean he missed penalties against City, Chelsea, Liverpool x2 and Arsenal x2.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They often were pretty important though, we just seemed to always get away with it when he missed.

I mean he missed penalties against City, Chelsea, Liverpool x2 and Arsenal x2.
Well he scored the rebounds against City and Liverpool, so I don't know if it counts as a missed penalty. All the other times he missed against top opposition was when we were already ahead. The ones where we really needed him to score, he invariably did.

Ether

Alexis has only scored 3/8 penalties in his career, not even counting the one against Brazil in the 2014 WC shootout. Although he did win the Copa with a Panenka...

Revan

Assumptionman
He missed against Chelsea (we won), and against Liverpool and City (scored on rebounds and we won). I was always scared to see him shooting.

We haven't had a reliable penalty shooter since Ronaldo left (and even he missed two very big ones), Pogba being probably the best of the remaining ones. On second though, Giggs actually was quite good at them, just that he preferred for whatever reasons to not take them.