Balbuena Red Card (VAR) - West Ham v Chelsea

UncleBob

This is amazing coming from Utd fans. We all know it takes a few seconds to turn the game.

What if Ole had been red carded in 1999 or City had one player less in 2012.

Feck all difference yeah.
WeePat is a Chelsea supporter and i'm being sarcastic.

Hope this helps

matsdf

So the original referee didn’t see any foul.

The VAR decided that there was a clear and obvious error in a red card not being given, after watching several replays.

The original referee watched it on video and agreed it was a sending off.

An FA panel then concludes that the sending off was a clear and obvious error so rescinds the red card.

Basically, I think we can conclude that the referees don’t have a clue what they are doing!
Cases are overruled in court all the time, it doesn't mean the previous judges didn't have a clue of what they were doing. Some cases are just harder to judge.

UncleBob

Well yes. Don't think I'm saying anything controversial here. We held them at arms length pretty comfortably before and after the red card. Unfortunate decision, and I'm happy it's been overturned, but I think we would have held on to the 1-0 regardless.
It's guessing.
What isn't guessing is pointing out the obvious, that playing with one player due to a sending off is a punishment and was detrimental to West Ham's chances of scoring.

UncleBob

Cases are overruled in court all the time, it doesn't mean the previous judges didn't have a clue of what they were doing. Some cases are just harder to judge.
This isn't a fecking insurance claim.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's guessing.
What isn't guessing is pointing out the obvious, that playing with one player due to a sending off is a punishment and was detrimental to West Ham's chances of scoring.
It was my prediction based on the previous 80 minutes. I think we would have kept it at 1-0 regardless. It's fine if you disagree mate, but that's how I saw it.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
The withdrawal of the red card is the right decision, but it really raises questions on the match ref and the VAR system. This is the first time that I've seen a VAR decision overturned. The FA by withdrawing the card are basically saying the people running VAR that night were incompetent and the match ref no better.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The withdrawal of the red card is the right decision, but it really raises questions on the match ref and the VAR system. This is the first time that I've seen a VAR decision overturned. The FA by withdrawing the card are basically saying the people running VAR that night were incompetent and the match ref no better.
They overturned Son red card also last season.

matsdf

The FA by withdrawing the card are basically saying the people running VAR that night were incompetent and the match ref no better.
No they are not... They are saying they made a mistake, which is a pretty big difference. People act as if VAR should be perfect, but it's not, and it never will be.

UncleBob

It was my prediction based on the previous 80 minutes. I think we would have kept it at 1-0 regardless. It's fine if you disagree mate, but that's how I saw it.
:lol: You're missing the point. If it would've changed anything is pure guesswork. Fact is, just because you've defended comfortably for 80 minutes doesn't mean there won't be a freak chance where the opposition levels, and having a player sent off has a detrimental effect on the chance to get something out of the match.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: You're missing the point. If it would've changed anything is pure guesswork. Fact is, just because you've defended comfortably for 80 minutes doesn't mean there won't be a freak chance where the opposition levels, and having a player sent off has a detrimental effect on the chance to get something out of the match.
Come on mate, you're just repeating the same thing here :D

It's obviously a given playing with a man less makes it harder to do what they were struggling to do with 11 men. That's not some obscure golden nugget of knowledge.

Of course it's guess work. It's an educated guess based on the information available.

Good decision and obviously Chris Kavanagh will be demoted for a week for making such a ridiculous decision.

Oh wait, he's back refereeing Brighton v Leeds like nothing happened.

Tapori

The issue is NOT VAR
The issue is the application of referee's knowledge of Football and The Rules

This is shown in that, though the team asked the Referee to look at what they thought may be worth overturning, the referee ultimately made the decision.
He could have easily communicated:
"This is not clear and obvious to over-turn. Player is playing the ball, the ball is in-play and is in control of the ball.
Both in real-time and on the replay his follow-through is natural and catches the opposition player by sheer chance.
This unfortunate but there is no intent and it would be unreasonable to designate this as a foul or deliberate and/or form of "Dangerous" play.
I will stick with my original decision. Thank you VAR team."

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think the ref in this instance was only shown slow motion replays. Made it look worse. For things like this, it should be real time only.
Yep, the way they show the incidents zoomed in, slow motion and purely only the point of contact and not actually in context doesn't help at all.

If you concentrate purely on the fact his studs land on the back of Chilwells leg of course it looks bad - but lets be honest Valbuena clears the ball and his leg lands in a natural position - it's just unfortunate that Chilwell also puts his leg in the same position.

Whether he added a bit of extra spice? nobody will know apart from him, but it didn't look to me like he purposely stamped down or added any extra effort to do him like you'd expect.

Chris Cavanagh has been making a lot of mistakes recently. He's obviously a young referee who is being swayed too easily by pressure from his peers.

arnie_ni

This is amazing coming from Utd fans. We all know it takes a few seconds to turn the game.

What if Ole had been red carded in 1999 or City had one player less in 2012.

Feck all difference yeah.
Ones a Chelsea fan and the other is sarcasm

Doracle

No they are not... They are saying they made a mistake, which is a pretty big difference. People act as if VAR should be perfect, but it's not, and it never will be.
The VAR should only be involved if the referee has made a clear and obvious error. It therefore shouldn’t be getting involved in grey areas at all. In this incident we have:

VAR - not giving a red card is a clear and obvious error.

Appeal Panel - it’s so obviously not a red card at all that it’s a clear error and should be rescinded.

Effectively, they are at the completely opposite ends of the spectrum and that sort of error should never be occurring with VAR. It is perfectly reasonable to expect VAR to be free of this type of incident.

RUCK4444

One of the worst decisions I have ever seen in 30 years.
All under the safety blanket of technology that guaranteed us this wouldn’t happen... ahh VAR, how I hate you, let me count the ways.

Anybody else out there that would scrap VAR entirely tomorrow without a second thought?
I know I would.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All under the safety blanket of technology that guaranteed us this wouldn’t happen... ahh VAR, how I hate you, let me count the ways.

Anybody else out there that would scrap VAR entirely tomorrow without a second thought?
I know I would.
People need to stop blaming VAR for footballing decisions. It gets done every single week and it’s like everyone is missing the point. Bar the odd discrepancy, like Diagne’s goal the other day or the winner Liverpool had robbed from them in them in the Merseyside derby - it gets every offside decision right.

As for everything else, these decisions are given by the referees, not by VAR. the referee sent Balbuena off, VAR didn’t send him off. The same referee disallowed Cavani’s goal against Spurs. It was totally up to him.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
It wasn't even a foul, let alone a red card. I cannot comprehend why people are defending the ref.

RUCK4444

People need to stop blaming VAR for footballing decisions. It gets done every single week and it’s like everyone is missing the point. Bar the odd discrepancy, like Diagne’s goal the other day or the winner Liverpool had robbed from them in them in the Merseyside derby - it gets every offside decision right.

As for everything else, these decisions are given by the referees, not by VAR. the referee sent Balbuena off, VAR didn’t send him off. The same referee disallowed Cavani’s goal against Spurs. It was totally up to him.
Nah it’s complete shite mate.

It’s implemented by idiots and nobody cares if a persons big toe is offside because it’s a boring nonsense and not the reason why anybody started watching football.

VAR is the star of the show now, it’s sucks the life out of the game and the fan emotion for goals. All to be less than 100% accurate makes it totally not worth it.

Has massively effected my interest or more accurately my enjoyment of the game.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular

+1

Not a fan of how the VAR is implemented in various ways (should review a second yellow imho too for example)and it's beyond ridiculous that to my knowledge the only really good way was right at its start at the WorldCup. Maybe people tend to forget what kind of blatant misjudgements were made without it or don't want to admit that the era before was at minimum just as bad.

Although I'm biased towards Chelsea at least with that partiular foul I can understand the decision a bit and I'm a big fan of refereeing to protect the players and the incident with WestHam was imho a kind of grey area - not a blatant wrongdoing either way. Also these kind of calls are made almost every single matchday so it's a bit embarrassing to claim this robbed WestHam potentially of it's CL qualification.

Foxbatt

It wasn't even a foul, let alone a red card. I cannot comprehend why people are defending the ref.
Right. Where is he going to put his foot? It's the only natural space once the Chelsea player put his leg in the space Balbuena's foot was going to end up.
It's the same with headers. Two players go up to head the ball but head each other. The referee never calls for a foul.
Maybe it's a good idea to have a Referees League and get them to play against with the refereeing done by an ex player?