Balbuena Red Card (VAR) - West Ham v Chelsea

arnie_ni

That actually applies to Chilwell too, he's the idiot who slid into someone clearing the ball and got studded in the process.

Absolute idiot and he should have been the one carded.
If Chilwell had his foot lifted and the WH player hit his foot, Its a WH fk and Chilwell yellow for a late challenge.

It's a mental red card, it's just his natural follow-through and Chilwell runs into him.

Last edited:

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
maybe read what I was replying to and you’ll see the relevance
I have read it hence my response.
Both of them were clear reds too. Just because refs are inconsistent as shit doesn't mean anything.

arnie_ni

Amazing and yet somehow that challenge on Henderson last week wasn’t even picked up as a foul. Two footed studs up to the hip not regarded as wreckless play.The numpties in charge of VAR need to do one.
Or the pogba one half way up the back of calf on his planted foot

arnie_ni

What a surprise that 2/3 posters that think it’s a red are Chelsea fans. :lol:
I'm all for opposition fans on this board like yourself, but when they can't be impartial it's maddening and think we'd be better of without those particular ones.

arnie_ni

It was offside, wasn't it? He can't give a foul for that if he's given the offside.
He can still give a red like pick ford should have seen red against vvd who was offside.

But yes, no foul or yellow.

arnie_ni

This is the reason that the ref and VAR thought their should be a sending off

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Yes he cleared the ball but the force he went into that tackle was the issue not the fact that he cleared the ball or come to that you could argue caught Chillwell although it sort of emphasis the point

As I said earlier was harsh and still think it was but when you go in full on like that and catch a player you run that risk.
Chilwell was the one doing the challenging

arnie_ni

This is a clear and obvious error that will likely be overturned after an appeal. Accidents happens. Chilwell was fine a minute later.

If anything I'm glad it didn't happen earlier in the game, it would have completely ruined what was a fair, hard fought contest.
Thank you for a bit of common sense from a Chelsea fan. It was maddening reading those other posts.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
That's not be a red, a yellow or even a foul. The bias from Chelsea fans is understandable, but it's not a foul, and the card should be rescinded.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This is the reason that the ref and VAR thought their should be a sending off

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Yes he cleared the ball but the force he went into that tackle was the issue not the fact that he cleared the ball or come to that you could argue caught Chillwell although it sort of emphasis the point

As I said earlier was harsh and still think it was but when you go in full on like that and catch a player you run that risk.
Intent works both ways, if an idiot runs straight into a clearance and he gets booted, he should be the one getting the card.

kyofusho

Literally! He catches the player who is clearing the ball late.
Nail on head. It's maddening that VAR, Kavanagh and some blinkered Chelsea oppos on here just cannot see that.

Hope it gets overturned on appeal, assuming they are appealing (anyone know?)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Did he kick be it intentionally or unintentionally?

That is a foul

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
The fact it was then a foul brings the tackle, challenge or the manner he played the ball into the equation.

Look I think it’s a harsh one but thems the rules
You can also apply the dangerous play rule to what Chilwell did, his physical motion in the play, where he put himself.

This comes down to common sense.

And being a Chelsky fan.

hubbuh

Nail on head. It's maddening that VAR, Kavanagh and some blinkered Chelsea oppos on here just cannot see that.

It's understandable for Chelsea fans to want to believe it's a legitimate red, it's farcical that VAR and the ref also believe it is.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Exactly, say that Balbuenas studs don’t go into Chillwell, then surely it’s just a West Ham free kick? Balbuena plays it and Chillwell goes crashing into him late.

OldSchoolManc

The way that Chilwell attacked Balbuenas studs with his calf was disgusting.

But seriously, if you endanger yourself, you can’t blame the other guy

arnie_ni

It's understandable for Chelsea fans to want to believe it's a legitimate red, it's farcical that VAR and the ref also believe it is.
It's not even, I don't think. If they can't be be impartial what do they add to the board as an opposition fan

hubbuh

It's not even, I don't think. If they can't be be impartial what do they add to the board as an opposition fan
There's always going to be disagreements between oppo fans, it's the nature of the beast. The back and forth is what makes it fun!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't mind that being a red if the same standard was being applied to other challenges of that ilk as well. I think a big reason, shitbags like Burnley get away with a lot of it is that they start the game committing those fouls and do it regularly enough to normalize the referee's thinking for what he can and cannot whistle without turning the pace of the game to a crawl.

Doracle

That's not be a red, a yellow or even a foul. The bias from Chelsea fans is understandable, but it's not a foul, and the card should be rescinded.
In fairness, I had a quick look at a Chelsea forum yesterday and most were saying it shouldn’t have been a red card. It’s not one that’s in any sort of grey area where there’s really room for fan bias - it’s just not a foul.

People saying it is a foul seem to just be looking at the ultimate outcome and not understanding that it is possible to kick someone at a football match without it being intentional, reckless or careless.

alexthelion

As soon as VAR check it for ages then call the ref over to have a look the doubt in the refs mind starts, then he watches it 4 times in slow motion from the most damning angle. He’s very much persuaded to give the red.

That’s maybe my biggest issue with VAR, it’s used almost exclusively to encourage negative decisions to take place. Namely disallowing goals for the strangest, tiniest reasons and getting players sent off.
Refs in general, but this one in particular, need to grow a pair and say "no foul" or whatever. Two weeks in a row now this ref has screwed up, what censure will he get and why isn't it made public?

alexthelion

I really don't understand this take by so many people. Of course it is VAR's fault - all the VAR needed to do was inform the referee that there was no foul there. In fact, he made the mind up for the ref by asking him to go over and look at the screen. VAR is 100% at fault here - and it's killing the game.
So @11101 was right, it's the ref who makes the decision whether to refer or not. Glad we cleared that up.

Last edited:

manutddjw

That’s all well good but the biggest problem is that West Ham could lose out on Champions League and therefore millions of dollars because the FA employs an incompetent referee.

Okey

That’s all well good but the biggest problem is that West Ham could lose out on Champions League and therefore millions of dollars because the FA employs an incompetent referee.
Exactly. Rescinding doesn't solve the problem created during the game. No mention of repercussions for the referee's incompetence either. Anyway, I'm just happy such a ludicrous decision has been overturned.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think the red card really impacted the outcome of the game. Good decision to overturn it though. Laughable sending off to begin with.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How many people sit on the panel that decide whether or not to overturn these decisions? Because clearly at least two highly paid officials failed to get it right at the weekend

Absolutely scandalous decision that may have cost West Ham UCL football

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rescinding it is the worst outcome really.

Surely you stick with the decision of both the on field ref and VAR ref, who have both had numerous looks at a camera, or you make a mockery of both of them.

And it cost West Ham a chance of a comeback (although unlikely the way they were playing), and ruined the game totally (albeit late on)

Doracle

So the original referee didn’t see any foul.

The VAR decided that there was a clear and obvious error in a red card not being given, after watching several replays.

The original referee watched it on video and agreed it was a sending off.

An FA panel then concludes that the sending off was a clear and obvious error so rescinds the red card.

Basically, I think we can conclude that the referees don’t have a clue what they are doing!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So the original referee didn’t see any foul.

The VAR decided that there was a clear and obvious error in a red card not being given, after watching several replays.

The original referee watched it on video and agreed it was a sending off.

An FA panel then concludes that the sending off was a clear and obvious error so rescinds the red card.

Basically, I think we can conclude that the referees don’t have a clue what they are doing!
Tbf to the ref, the procedure they're taught to follow makes it extremely unlikely that he'd stick with his original decision once he's told to look at it by the VAR.

I think the stat I saw earlier in the week is that the refs have only rejected the VAR's call at that point 5 times out of 120 referrals. That's because while they technically could make their own call at that point, the process they're told to follow basically makes it a token confirmatory gesture.

So really it was the VAR's subjective call that made the big difference here. You could argue that the ref should have been strong enough to reject it but that's tough when they're being actively encouraged to go along with the VAR's decision. It's a waste of the sideline monitors, really.

UncleBob

I don't think the red card really impacted the outcome of the game. Good decision to overturn it though. Laughable sending off to begin with.
West Ham having to play 10mins + extra time with one less player probably had feck all of an effect...I reckon Chelsea should start doing that, just finish the remaining 14 mins with 1 less player, because it won't really impact the outcome

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
West Ham having to play 10mins + extra time with one less player probably had feck all of an effect...I reckon Chelsea should start doing that, just finish the remaining 14 mins with 1 less player, because it won't really impact the outcome
Just saying the way the previous 80 minutes had gone, West Ham didn't really look like scoring. We'll never know of course, but don't think they would have got anything out of the game with or without the red card.

UncleBob

Just saying the way the previous 80 minutes had gone, West Ham didn't really look like scoring. We'll never know of course, but don't think they would have got anything out of the game with or without the red card.
Well, they certainly didn't get much out of it finishing it with 1 player less.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well, they certainly didn't get much out of it finishing it with 1 player less.
Well yes. Don't think I'm saying anything controversial here. We held them at arms length pretty comfortably before and after the red card. Unfortunate decision, and I'm happy it's been overturned, but I think we would have held on to the 1-0 regardless.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I may be in the minority, but I’m not as sold on this ‘anyone who has ever played the game’ garb and not convinced that Balbuena didn’t leave a but on. I’ve seen people do it before, I’ve also seen people withdrawing last second when they see they are going to hurt someone.

I remember Felipe Melo had a habit of challenging/clearing the ball in this manner. Especially in the World Cup in 2010, he had a habit of clearing the ball and following through with his foot to head height, clearly aimed at taking whatever extras he could get along with the ball. I don’t think he was penalised for it, but commentators/pundits also noticed. Only example I could find is at 53 seconds in this video:

He typically followed through clearances of 50/50 balls in this manner, then of course pleaded his innocence as his opponents looked to the ref.

EDIT: another example at 01:18 in this video from the same tournament -

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Weird to think that the Melo clearance in the first clip in any way is relatable to the Balbuena clearance.

UncleBob

I may be in the minority, but I’m not as sold on this ‘anyone who has ever played the game’ garb and not convinced that Balbuena didn’t leave a but on. I’ve seen people do it before, I’ve also seen people withdrawing last second when they see they are going to hurt someone.

I remember Felipe Melo had a habit of challenging/clearing the ball in this manner. Especially in the World Cup in 2010, he had a habit of clearing the ball and following through with his foot to head height, clearly aimed at taking whatever extras he could get along with the ball. I don’t think he was penalised for it, but commentators/pundits also noticed. Only example I could find is at 53 seconds in this video:

He typically followed through clearances of 50/50 balls in this manner, then of course pleaded his innocence as his opponents looked to the ref.

EDIT: another example at 01:18 in this video from the same tournament -
:lol::lol:

snk123

I don't think the red card really impacted the outcome of the game.
West Ham having to play 10mins + extra time with one less player probably had feck all of an effect
This is amazing coming from Utd fans. We all know it takes a few seconds to turn the game.

What if Ole had been red carded in 1999 or City had one player less in 2012.

Feck all difference yeah.