Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I am very excite.

Steam servers running pretty smooth so far, I nearly load with full speed. 60% done.

400k so far, it's okay but nothing groundbreaking. I remember Cyberpunk had a little over a million during release. I think D&D is too niche to pull the biggest numbers.
I think you’re underestimating Baldurs Gate as a franchise and the amount of hype around Larian as a publisher after the divinity games. This will be massive. Maybe not cyberpunk massive, but still huge. The hype is insane.

Massive Spanner

400k for a CRPG by a non-massive developer is... well, massive. I don't think it's fair to compare it to Cyberpunk, probably the most highly expected game ever.
600 devs and $200m production cost is pretty massive to be fair.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I think you’re underestimating Baldurs Gate as a franchise and the amount of hype around Larian as a publisher after the divinity games. This will be massive. Maybe not cyberpunk massive, but still huge. The hype is insane.
I didn't mean it in a negative way, just as normal viewer numbers for a AAA game release so far. For a CRPG definetly awesome numbers.

My download is complete, the wait is finally over. It's time to spend 2 hours in the character creation :lol: ! Have fun to everyone who is playing or plans to play!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I didn't mean it in a negative way, just as normal viewer numbers for a AAA game release so far. For a CRPG definetly awesome numbers.

My download is complete, the wait is finally over. It's time to spend 2 hours in the character creation :lol: ! Have fun to everyone who is playing or plans to play!
Down, down, down by the river!

Fully Fledged

400k for a CRPG by a non-massive developer is... well, massive. I don't think it's fair to compare it to Cyberpunk, probably the most highly expected game ever.
Balder's Gate was probably the first game I owned on a PC, and was immediately hooked. Played both games to death and Icewind Dale 1 & 2 that was by Black Isle studios.

padr81

Supports
Man City
20gb to go. Cya's in a month
Feels like this for me too. Downloading for 90+ minutes 52gb remaining. Dunno if its server overload but I feel like others will have finished the game before mine is downloaded.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Feels like this for me too. Downloading for 90+ minutes 52gb remaining. Dunno if its server overload but I feel like others will have finished the game before mine is downloaded.
If anyone in here finishes the game within a week, they should be banned and forced to go outside for a bit.

padr81

Supports
Man City
If anyone in here finishes the game within a week, they should be banned and forced to go outside for a bit.
For sure. Pretty sure the threat of blood clots would be hella real for anyone who pulls that off. Isn't it like 180 hours if you do everything.

Massive Spanner

For sure. Pretty sure the threat of blood clots would be hella real for anyone who pulls that off. Isn't it like 180 hours if you do everything.
80-100 hours I think but apparently playthroughs can be wildly different depending on your character and the choices you make. Sounds like replayability is huge.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
For someone who´s never played a Baldurs Gate game before I find this quite confusing. Story, combat and stuff. Graphics are amazing during dialoge, but I feel not so much when traversing the world and traversing the world feels a bit labourous in a way.

Massive Spanner

I already feel like I’m missing so much when I fail certain skill checks. So hard to resist a reload but I’m not going to.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
For someone who´s never played a Baldurs Gate game before I find this quite confusing. Story, combat and stuff. Graphics are amazing during dialoge, but I feel not so much when traversing the world and traversing the world feels a bit labourous in a way.
Unfortunately(for me) this has nothing to do with the original Baldur's Gate games. I feel this is a rebranded Divinity Original Sin, which is a good game but it's not a Baldur's Gate.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Unfortunately(for me) this has nothing to do with the original Baldur's Gate games. I feel this is a rebranded Divinity Original Sin, which is a good game but it's not a Baldur's Gate.
In what way. I adore the originals but they were just as clunky and frustrating to traverse, with the shitty formations and having to get members of the party to the edge of the map to be able to exit. Not to mention party members getting stuck on occasion on objects or pathfinding and double backing on themselves.

It's just a natural evolution of the genre. Lets not forget that BG2 released in 2000!

padr81

Supports
Man City
I actually wish it was more like DoS to be honest, the fecking combat hit chance is horrible in this (as it is in tabletop d&d) and really eating in to my enjoyment. I find it like playing d&d with a DoS styled skin. Don't find it anything like DoS outside of the visuals.

caid

I already feel like I’m missing so much when I fail certain skill checks. So hard to resist a reload but I’m not going to.
My character is an idiot, i just accepted theres going to be fails on the way. Inspiration covered me for a couple of bigger checks.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
That's the reason I picked Warlock for my first play through, put most of my points into charisma and picked up persuation, intimidation and other talking skills. I thought the worst feeling you can get in this game is by failing in conversations checks. Also it's pretty lore friendly if the group leader leads in charisma. A nice side effect is of course, that Warlock's spells depend on charisma as well.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
My character is an idiot, i just accepted theres going to be fails on the way. Inspiration covered me for a couple of bigger checks.
:lol:

Going totally blind into this - any recommendations re settings or difficulty? Unfortunately I don‘t have 100s of hours to dump into this so unless it‘s a shooter I go rather easy nowadays but don‘t want to spoil it too.

Iron Stove

Enjoying this immensely so far. Can't believe the production quality for a proper "cRPG" , feels like we haven't had one of these releases since Dragon Age Origins. Also happy to see it's not as whimsical as Larians other games.

Can't see any other game beating this as my GOTY.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I wish it had a movement scheme similarly to tw3. My camera pans all over the place and through walls. I have a bit too many performance issues despite having a good rig. Still enjoying it. Its certainly unique but i felt they could spent more time fine tuning it. Graphics are great when talking but otherwise fairly mediocre for a 2023 game.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's doesn't play like Divinity, and it uses D&D rules (more or less). Obviously it's similar in some ways to their previous games, but I think it's rather silly to claim that it has nothing to do with Baldur's Gate. Those games are more than two decades old, things have changed. We saw the same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, which very few today would claim is not "real" Fallout - though some did at the time. I am sure people also said the same about every new Elder Scrolls game. And about Starcraft, Warcraft, Deus Ex, Age of Empires and every other series that has had games from very different periods of time.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Loving this so far. Is there any downside to having a companion do most of the dialogue? I'm not high Charisma but one of the other characters is, I'm basically just using them for chatting. My fighter hits things.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I pretty much force myself to avoid savescumming in games like this. I might do it if I completely misunderstood a choice or action, but failing is part of the game. It's always tempting to get the "perfect" game, but it's honestly a better gaming experience this way.

Edit: I should say, if someone here likes to play it that way, I'm not diminishing your experience. Everyone gets something different out of it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Does anyone else have a problem with some voices (Shadowheart specifically) sounding terribly flat? The audio quality just sounds worse than the rest of the game.

caid

:lol:

Going totally blind into this - any recommendations re settings or difficulty? Unfortunately I don‘t have 100s of hours to dump into this so unless it‘s a shooter I go rather easy nowadays but don‘t want to spoil it too.
I went for balanced and it's not especially easy. You'll have to replay fights a couple of times to beat them at points. They have a story mode difficulty that might be worth checking out. I dont mind being punished for bad choices or bad rolls at times and having to figure out a couple of fights by trial and error.
Re save scumming - i've tried to avoid it and let the chips fall where they may. It often leads to death and reload regardless but story choices i try to leave be. I did reload after getting in a fight with a dog though, just couldn't kill it.
Is there a way to surrender?

Does anyone else have a problem with some voices (Shadowheart specifically) sounding terribly flat? The audio quality just sounds worse than the rest of the game.
Had general audio issues in the opening but seemed to resolve itself early on.

Massive Spanner

Make sure shadowheart is in your party. Her guidance spell is so useful for the skill checks. Also helps having a Bard for their abilities.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Some of this game is just so funny.

Don't think I've ever laughed so much in a game, passed through a town with goblins in it playing as a Barbarian. Just on the far side theres a shed with what I thought was someone banging on the door.
Being the inquisative person I am I walk over and interact with the door.
Door swings up and theres a bug bear banging a massive Orc, the sound was her head hitting a cart.
He steps back embarrased and dialogue starts... being the character I aim, I'm given the option to insult his manhood which of course I absolutely cannot turn down.
Fail the skill check and battle ensues... 1 dead goblin and 1 dead orc later and I'm feeling like the bad guy...

nimic

something nice
Scout
If anyone hasn't figured it out yet (or maybe it's explained in a tutorial), press ALT to highlight some stuff. Just be aware that it doesn't highlight everything.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Some of this game is just so funny.

Don't think I've ever laughed so much in a game, passed through a town with goblins in it playing as a Barbarian. Just on the far side theres a shed with what I thought was someone banging on the door.
Being the inquisative person I am I walk over and interact with the door.
Door swings up and theres a bug bear banging a massive Orc, the sound was her head hitting a cart.
He steps back embarrased and dialogue starts... being the character I aim, I'm given the option to insult his manhood which of course I absolutely cannot turn down.
Fail the skill check and battle ensues... 1 dead goblin and 1 dead orc later and I'm feeling like the bad guy...
You should. You're a total brute. Love is love.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
If anyone hasn't figured it out yet (or maybe it's explained in a tutorial), press ALT to highlight some stuff. Just be aware that it doesn't highlight everything.
I hate that! :D It‘s mentioned at some point.

Great game, tough combat though. I wonder why my party still sticks together as they seem to all hate each other.

Massive Spanner

I will purchase this on PS5 (my pc only has a 1080ti) for the bear sex.
Runs amazing on my 2060 super which is about comparable to a 1080ti power wise I think? I tried it with the controller layout on the deck and it’s just nowhere near as good, even though they’ve done a good job.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Runs amazing on my 2060 super which is about comparable to a 1080ti power wise I think? I tried it with the controller layout on the deck and it’s just nowhere near as good, even though they’ve done a good job.
The architecture of the 10 series is so outdated though. Even though the 1080ti is a legendary card in terms of longevity, it's showing its age now with stuttering issues and such on newer titles.