Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Some of this game is just so funny.

Don't think I've ever laughed so much in a game, passed through a town with goblins in it playing as a Barbarian. Just on the far side theres a shed with what I thought was someone banging on the door.
Being the inquisative person I am I walk over and interact with the door.
Door swings up and theres a bug bear banging a massive Orc, the sound was her head hitting a cart.
He steps back embarrased and dialogue starts... being the character I aim, I'm given the option to insult his manhood which of course I absolutely cannot turn down.
Fail the skill check and battle ensues... 1 dead goblin and 1 dead orc later and I'm feeling like the bad guy...
This one got me as well :lol:
That's the reason I don't watch this game on twitch, I want to get surprised by such things.

The only thing that bugs me so far is, that you can pick up so much worthless stuff. In rpgs I always need to pick up and collect everything like a kleptomaniac. This game pushes me to the limit.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Disguise Self is the sort of spell that in other games would just be a bit of flavour and useless. In this one due to the level of reactivity it is actually really useful?

going to the camp full of goblins? Disguise as a Drow, who the goblins are terrified of, and they let you straight through.

the tiefling camp? Be a tiefling yourself for some extra dialogue and options

my favourite was meeting the Githyanki patrol - who almost always end up attacking you. I disguised as a Githyanki myself so I could talk my way out of it.
There was even one bit where they asked “why are you travelling with outsiders?” And one of the possible responses was “I’m not really a Githyanki” - which I was very tempted to take.

Simbo

Getting into as I learn how stuff actually works. Heard a few people say "just jump into it without looking anything up". No, you need to learn how the combat and spell system works at least. Tutorial seems a bit lacking.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Disguise Self is the sort of spell that in other games would just be a bit of flavour and useless. In this one due to the level of reactivity it is actually really useful?

going to the camp full of goblins? Disguise as a Drow, who the goblins are terrified of, and they let you straight through.

the tiefling camp? Be a tiefling yourself for some extra dialogue and options

my favourite was meeting the Githyanki patrol - who almost always end up attacking you. I disguised as a Githyanki myself so I could talk my way out of it.
There was even one bit where they asked “why are you travelling with outsiders?” And one of the possible responses was “I’m not really a Githyanki” - which I was very tempted to take.
It’s crazy. Every npc is voiced with cutscenes. And I have the talk to animals ability to talk to every single creature in the game. And you can talk to every dead thing with the talk to dead ability. It’s nuts. The level of choice in the game is way beyond anything I’ve seen before.

also, every single interactive item in the game has a unique model if you examine them!

I honestly think over the next few years I’ll end up replaying it loads

padr81

Supports
Man City
This one got me as well :lol:
That's the reason I don't watch this game on twitch, I want to get surprised by such things.

The only thing that bugs me so far is, that you can pick up so much worthless stuff. In rpgs I always need to pick up and collect everything like a kleptomaniac. This game pushes me to the limit.
I remember like dropping huge piles of books (over 100 I'd say) in the middle of Driftwood in DoS 2 to make space for my murder rampage before leaving the act2 island. I'm already noticing a collection of junk in BG3 and I'm only about 10 hours in. For those who are conditioned to pick up everything they can from other rpgs inventory management in Larian games is quite the challenge.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The scope of this game is breathtaking. A bit bummed by the level cap (12), but I get it. I can see hundreds of hours being lost to this thing.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Never played previous versions of this can someone summarise what other games it’s a bit like?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Never played previous versions of this can someone summarise what other games it’s a bit like?
Dragon Age
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity: Original Sin

However, the sheer scale of this game surpasses all of the above. To me, this is a genre defining game which will push all others in the genre. It's the closest thing you'll get to playing real D&D due to amount of characters, storylines and choices. This is a game where player choice really does matter, you can play out the same sequence and do several different things to adjust the outcome. In terms of combat gameplay, it's turn based combat, but pretty fast. You can make some pretty sick builds with a ton of different classes and sub classes to choose from as well as being able to respec your character whenever you like.

To further expand on the above, you can either select pre defined characters which will have side stories attached or create your own character. You will be able to have a party size of 4 (not mandatory). You get to control all the characters in your party. Hope that helps.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
A lot of this game is amazing. But I find the supplies/camp mechanic tedious. Being able to use mana, or rejuvinate any other way would be fine. But it becomes a slog to teleport back to camp and sleep(and make sure you have enough supplies). I get that the camp is a theater for npc interations, but I really wish they had gone with something else.

Siorac

The scope of this game is breathtaking. A bit bummed by the level cap (12), but I get it. I can see hundreds of hours being lost to this thing.
Baldur's Gate 2 got a bit stupid at high levels because of the immensely powerful spells. Every battle was about countering the enemy mages first and foremost and it became a little tedious.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Aaaaand you just made it much harder for me to resist buying it now instead of waiting a bit.
Voiced by Matt Mercer of Critical Role fame. Not sure why they changed up the VA, but the internet seems to think it's because he had some baggage when casting began.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Jeez, feels like I'm stuck already.

Sided with that lady at the goblin camp who wnats to get rid of the druids but while she was running away to set her army up I just collapsed the bridge she ran over. Freed Halsim already who wouldn't join my party (to help killing the last of the three goblin leaders) because he went back to protect the grove - which isn't about to be attacked because...well the drow didn't get far with the info I guess. Now I can't find Halsim who is said to reappear once the grove is saved. Last goblin boss is a tad too hard for my party. Not sure what to do tbh.

caid

Jeez, feels like I'm stuck already.

Sided with that lady at the goblin camp who wnats to get rid of the druids but while she was running away to set her army up I just collapsed the bridge she ran over. Freed Halsim already who wouldn't join my party (to help killing the last of the three goblin leaders) because he went back to protect the grove - which isn't about to be attacked because...well the drow didn't get far with the info I guess. Now I can't find Halsim who is said to reappear once the grove is saved. Last goblin boss is a tad too hard for my party. Not sure what to do tbh.
Try hanging out in the rafters. Can drop braziers on the head of those below with a bow and arrow. Worked quite well for me. I cleared out drums before starting too (from stealth with a bow and arrow)

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Try hanging out in the rafters. Can drop braziers on the head of those below with a bow and arrow. Worked quite well for me. I cleared out drums before starting too (from stealth with a bow and arrow)
You mean the story progresses once I cleared 3/3? Because the narration doesn't really indicates it imho. Well, trucking along - plenty to do I recon but I kinda hate to have too many loose ends behind and I bascially cleared the whole camp/dugeon already, just that friggin' boss left.

caid

You mean the story progresses once I cleared 3/3? Because the narration doesn't really indicates it imho. Well, trucking along - plenty to do I recon but I kinda hate to have too many loose ends behind and I bascially cleared the whole camp/dugeon already, just that friggin' boss left.
Yep. Think theres other ways of dealing with them but probably need the drow alive for that.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Yep. Think theres other ways of dealing with them but probably need the drow alive for that.
Alright, thanks anyway. Giving those rafters "a shot" once more then.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'll be honest, I think the resting for spells mechanic doesn't work well for video games. Divinity's combat system was better in that regard. It was probably worse in some other regards (everything descended into surface hell), but not that one.

Massive Spanner

I'll be honest, I think the resting for spells mechanic doesn't work well for video games. Divinity's combat system was better in that regard. It was probably worse in some other regards (everything descended into surface hell), but not that one.
Yeah, I'm not a fan, kinda wish there was a way to turn it off.

caid

I think theres a few mechanics like that that give a more authentic D&D experience but dont translate brilliantly. Theres a lot of story content in the camp and I think they've made it work despite feeling a bit off.
I dont love it but trying to get on with it and finding it fine.

Siorac

It's very hard to implement it in a way that isn't utterly tedious. I much prefer just having a limited number of spells per encounter.

Gehrman

Yeah i really don't like it. It breaks the fluidity of the gameplay.

Gehrman

It's very hard to implement it in a way that isn't utterly tedious. I much prefer just having a limited number of spells per encounter.
That or something like mana potions.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I’m a little bit scared of this, it’ll either ruin my happy memories of the previous 2, or lay waste to a couple of months by forcing me to play 6 hours a day

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I’m a little bit scared of this, it’ll either ruin my happy memories of the previous 2, or lay waste to a couple of months by forcing me to play 6 hours a day
So far it seems like a good successor to 2. Think your latter worry would be more probable.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Dragon Age
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity: Original Sin

However, the sheer scale of this game surpasses all of the above. To me, this is a genre defining game which will push all others in the genre. It's the closest thing you'll get to playing real D&D due to amount of characters, storylines and choices. This is a game where player choice really does matter, you can play out the same sequence and do several different things to adjust the outcome. In terms of combat gameplay, it's turn based combat, but pretty fast. You can make some pretty sick builds with a ton of different classes and sub classes to choose from as well as being able to respec your character whenever you like.

To further expand on the above, you can either select pre defined characters which will have side stories attached or create your own character. You will be able to have a party size of 4 (not mandatory). You get to control all the characters in your party. Hope that helps.
Massively. Cheers @RedSky looks like this could be worth getting then

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Massively. Cheers @RedSky looks like this could be worth getting then
Oh and no fecking micro transactions. :drool:

Do I need to have played the other 2 to understand this?
Nope, not required at all as far as I know. Think of the first two as a separate campaign. If you'd played it you might pick up on a few references and repeat characters/locations but it's mainly for easter eggs rather than actually being important to the story.

AaronRedDevil

Oh and no fecking micro transactions. :drool:

Nope, not required at all as far as I know. Think of the first two as a separate campaign. If you'd played it you might pick up on a few references and repeat characters/locations but it's mainly for easter eggs rather than actually being important to the story.
Good to know. All the buzz is getting me into it. Sounds crazy. In a good way

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wanted to play this tonight but I'm sitting here just watching Steam raise and slow the download speed every few seconds like someone offering an ice cream but going "wooaaahh nope ha!" every time you reach for it. Work in the morning, so feck the lot of you who are able to enjoy it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wanted to play this tonight but I'm sitting here just watching Steam raise and slow the download speed every few seconds like someone offering an ice cream but going "wooaaahh nope ha!" every time you reach for it. Work in the morning, so feck the lot of you who are able to enjoy it.
Man, it’s so much fun, I would be totally bummed if I could not play it right now. Must suck. Well, gotta run, need to go spend 3 hours second guessing my build while slaughtering shit.

Massive Spanner

This came out at the worst possible time for me with a new baby :lol: feels like I get an hour here or there and accomplish nothing. This is genuinely the sort of game I’d love to sit down and sink a full day into.

talked to a frog earlier and it completely annihilated my party. That was fun.

Happy with my choice of Bard for my main anyway, really good jack of all trades with good skill checks.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
That was it indeed. Pretty proud of myself as I had to get that fight done with 2 members lost in the first turn :lol: Epic. + weebit save scumming too

I'm probably the only one but I actually dig the camp mechanic aka slow down / break the loop. It is odd but in a good way for me - brings it closer to the tabletop experience and I do like the fact that you really have to set up strategies when to use certain spells etc pp.