Ballon d'Or 2021 | Lewandowski robbed again

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You know as well as anyone else that this is a ridiculous argument

He scored 3 in 3 for a terrible Poland. What more did you expect of him?

He was injured in the QF against PSG but it's a bit messed up to hold that against him when Messi got knocked out a round earlier himself isn't it?

I understand you support Messi but a lot of Messi fans have turned to Lewandowski bashing and it's best to stay away from that
The idea that he disappointed for Poland is frankly baffling. He was one of the best players of the group stages, only let down by his teammates. The goals he scored were phenomenal.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The idea that he disappointed for Poland is frankly baffling. He was one of the best players of the group stages, only let down by his teammates. The goals he scored were phenomenal.
Yeah, its quite odd, i frequently see people post on various platforms "but he did nothing with Poland!" and i don't know why, he did more than decent, given what he had.

Which leads me to believe almost no one watched a single game of Poland in the Euros.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Messi tied the all time assists in a season stat and still came fifth in ballon d’or voting that year.
Almost nobody knows what the 'most assists in a season' record is, let alone cares.

Messi had a dogshit performance in that year's little summer tournament, the World Cup (1 goal, 2 assists, his team won 1 game), and was outscored (and out "assisted") by like 8 people in the Champions League, that's why he came in fifth.

MrEleson

It’s pure revisionism that people are now claiming Messi deserved the 2018 BDOR. I remember scouring the the Barca forum around that time and they were all fearing Ronaldo’s imminent 6th which as we know never came. Messi’s 2018 was similar to his 2012 year in that he scored plenty but was never really decisive in any big game.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It’s pure revisionism that people are now claiming Messi deserved the 2018 BDOR. I remember scouring the the Barca forum around that time and they were all fearing Ronaldo’s imminent 6th which as we know never came. Messi’s 2018 was similar to his 2012 year in that he scored plenty but was never really decisive in any big game.
I personally never claimed that he deserved it only that he wasnt the 5th best player in the world that year.

MrEleson

I personally never claimed that he deserved it only that he wasnt the 5th best player in the world that year.
Well it was a WC year which was what took precedence. In another year, he probably would’ve finished a couple places higher but it wasn’t really a special year by him. I’d say 5th wasn’t that outrageous considering the names ahead and what they did that year.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Imagine not having 9 Ballon d'Or and not crying about it and making outrage everywhere on the internet

This list is funny because if you think about Messi's seasons and compare them to his goals+assists numbers you'd probably conclude that they're not very correlated.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
This list is funny because if you think about Messi's seasons and compare them to his goals+assists numbers you'd probably conclude that they're not very correlated.
That's a show of individual performance, team trophies are team trophies.

Ronaldo first years's cabinet trophy at Madrid was empty cause Barcelona was a better team than Real Madrid back then, not because Ronaldo didn't perform.

Ronaldo isn't winning shit either with this rubbish United side, and i think he is doing alright individually.
He also probably isn't qualifying for the next WC, but aside from the last games against Ireland and Serbia (where he had very poor games), i can't blame him for that, cause Portugal looks super disjointed , and talented player like Jota, Bruno,Cancelo, and Diaz have been useless and underwhelming under the Portugal t-shirt.

People should stop judging player's quality/season based on trophy cabinet.

Mshafeek

Imagine not having 9 Ballon d'Or and not crying about it and making outrage everywhere on the internet

It's incredible, isn't it? I mean, this image is all that is needed to cancel out the humongous faux outrage that has taken the internet by storm on Messi's win. People just can't handle factos.

lawliet354

It shows that football is team sport and being the best performing player in the world does not mean your team automatically win everything. Did Ronaldo win La liga and CL in his best ever year 2013? Did Lewa won the CL in his best ever year 2021?

Ronaldo first years's cabinet trophy at Madrid was empty cause Barcelona was a better team than Real Madrid back then, not because Ronaldo didn't perform.

Ronaldo isn't winning shit either with this rubbish United side, and i think he is doing alright individually.
He also probably isn't qualifying for the next WC, but aside from the last games against Ireland and Serbia (where he had very poor games), i can't blame him for that, cause Portugal looks super disjointed , and talented player like Jota, Bruno,Cancelo, and Diaz have been useless and underwhelming under the Portugal t-shirt.

People should stop judging player's quality/season based on trophy cabinet.
Finally a sensible take in this thread

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not talking about their team trophies. I'm talking about their actual performances.

It shows that football is team sport and being the best performing player in the world does not mean your team automatically win everything.
It could mean that. But it could also mean that the number of goals+assists you have in a season doesn't actually determine how good you were.

Last edited:

goodman organelles

I don’t think he was robbed. I think either were worthy winners. If he had won it would be well deserved as is Messi.

He was definitely robbed last year though. Why did they cancel the award? The football didn’t, it was merely postponed for a short while during the year and then carried on.
Sure, don’t hold a ceremony because of covid but they can still announce the award.

AndySmith1990

It's always an interesting insight into strange human behaviour. By that I mean the way grown men idolise other grown men to the point where they actually get upset when the men they idolise don't win awards.

That's not an attack, I find it genuinely interesting from a psychological point of view as to why people exhibit such creepy behaviour towards famous people online.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Now I've heard it all
You can see what I'm talking about if you actually look at a list of "goals+assists per calendar year" instead of relying on an infographic that merely tells you who topped it.

Look at this 2017 list. did the Balon D'Or committee rob Edinson Cavani? Was Ronaldo's 2017 award (when he came 11th in goals+assists overall) the biggest fraud perpetrated on football?

If you go by this infographic, 2009 Messi, the one who danced around United in a CL final, was considerably worse than Messi two seasons ago. Does anyone actually believe that? Anyone think United would have fared much worse in 2009 if Messi had been replaced by his 32-year-old version?

Last edited:

Siezard

The whole Ballon d'Or is a joke. 2021 is not even over yet. How can you give an award for 2021 when the year 2021 isn't even over yet?

They should at least make the effort to bring the award presentation to February/March/April of next year so that all the players can be correctly gauged based on their full year's performance.

Messi has only scored 1 league goal for PSG so far and his performance is certainly not Ballon d'Or worthy based on 2021. Also, his performance is not really that good for Argentina in the Copa America. He basically disappeared for the most part and largely disappoint in the semis and finals and it was his teammates who helped him to win the cup.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If you go by this infographic, 2009 Messi, the one who danced around United in a CL final, was considerably worse than Messi two seasons ago. Does anyone actually believe that? Anyone think United would have fared much worse in 2009 if Messi had been replaced by his 32-year-old version?
Heh. Actually yes. Bad example :lol:

You aren't wrong though

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's an individual award for a team sport. You can't separate individual performance from team success

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The whole Ballon d'Or is a joke. 2021 is not even over yet. How can you give an award for 2021 when the year 2021 isn't even over yet?

They should at least make the effort to bring the award presentation to February/March/April of next year so that all the players can be correctly gauged based on their full year's performance.

Messi has only scored 1 league goal for PSG so far and his performance is certainly not Ballon d'Or worthy based on 2021. Also, his performance is not really that good for Argentina in the Copa America. He basically disappeared for the most part and largely disappoint in the semis and finals and it was his teammates who helped him to win the cup.
I don't follow that point, players are judged on a 12 month period anyway, from October to October. Moving the award presentation to February or later changes nothing.

Siezard

I don't follow that point, players are judged on a 12 month period anyway, from October to October. Moving the award presentation to February or later changes nothing.
Since when are they judged on a 12 month period from October to October? Please show proof.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What did he do better, precisely?

Again, no tongue in cheek, I'm genuinely interested
Put it this way: would Bayern Munich be a better team with Messi? Would City? Liverpool?

Of the 3 best teams on Earth, currently Lewandowski is the best player on one and would immediately be the best player on and improve the other 2

Messi? He'd arguably make all 3 worse

JPRouve

Scout
Since when are they judged on a 12 month period from October to October? Please show proof.
What proof do you need? Votes have closed late october-early november most years, logic dictates that the period judged every year is from the end of votes. Particularly when there is no mention of calendar year in the rules.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Put it this way: would Bayern Munich be a better team with Messi? Would City? Liverpool?

Of the 3 best teams on Earth, currently Lewandowski is the best player on one and would immediately be the best player on and improve the other 2

Yes, they would be. City was after Messi and you can be sure as well Bayern and Liverpool would be as well if he was affordable for them.

You forget that used to Messi run as much as he currently does for Pep's Barca as well. And that team is still considered the best of all the elite tems of modern football.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, they would be. City was after Messi and you can be sure as well Bayern and Liverpool would be as well if he was affordable for them.

You forget that used to Messi run as much as he currently does for Pep's Barca as well. And that team is still considered the best of all the elite tems of modern football.
City could have signed Messi, yet didn't sign Messi. In fact, they chased Kane instead. Neither did Bayern or Liverpool, they weren't even interested

As for how much Messi "used to" run, that's both wrong and irrelevant. We're talking about 2021 here, not 2011

KeanoMagicHat

He had a bad final, but he didn't have a bad semi-final. He had an assist for the Argentina goal, scored his penalty. He had a very good game.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Of course Messi would improve City, his competition would be Mahrez and Gabriel Jesus... while both are very good players, Messi is still level above both. He's also a match for any Bayern winger. He wouldn't bench Salah though, at least not for me. At Liverpool I'd put him in the Firminio role, of dropping and linking play. He's be an assist machine for Salah.

Siezard

Voting closes end of October
But the 30 men shortlist were chosen at the start of Oct.

Starting from Oct don't make much sense anyway as they will miss out on stats from Aug and Sept 2020 (only start from Oct 2020) and then abruptly end on Oct 2021 as well. How can one call it BDor 2021 when the whole year is not done yet?

JPRouve

Scout
But the 30 men shortlist were chosen at the start of Oct.

Starting from Oct don't make much sense anyway as they will miss out on stats from Aug and Sept 2020 (only start from Oct 2020) and then abruptly end on Oct 2021 as well. How can one call it BDor 2021 when the whole year is not done yet?
It's named after the year during which it is given, it's not deeper than that. And you lose nothing because every month is include in the previous or following edition, as it would regardless of the month you pick whether it is January, June or October.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Of course Messi would improve City, his competition would be Mahrez and Gabriel Jesus... while both are very good players, Messi is still level above both. He's also a match for any Bayern winger. He wouldn't bench Salah though, at least not for me. At Liverpool I'd put him in the Firminio role, of dropping and linking play. He's be an assist machine for Salah.
Messi being individually better in a vacuum does not mean he would be better for those teams

No player in the world skews a team's play and personnell as much as Messi

Again, it is rather telling that despite Messi being available, your club, run by Beguiristain and coached by Guardiola, was more interested in Kane

padr81

Supports
Man City
Messi being individually better in a vacuum does not mean he would be better for those teams

No player in the world skews a team's play and personnell as much as Messi

Again, it is rather telling that despite Messi being available, your club, run by Beguiristain and coached by Guardiola, was more interested in Kane
Its not true though we were after Messi for 2 years, in the end we couldn't afford him. In fact Messi would fix a huge hole at City which is currently goal scoring. His lack of work rate would easily be offset by putting him on the rw with Jesus in the middle and Foden on the left. What we'd lose in terms of press we'd gain in keeping the ball even more and cutting edge.

The idea that Messi has somehow become a passenger and a hinderance is nonsense. Just compare the same Barca team without him

KeanoMagicHat

At Liverpool you’re going from 20 pressures a game with Jota or Firmino to 4 or 5 with Messi, in a style reliant on pressing. Klopp wouldn’t bother with Messi.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

He had the greatest Copa America in its history.

by far. Ronaldo was a ghost in many CL finals but still won ballon dors.

Messi was easily Argentina’s best player in the tourney.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
City could have signed Messi, yet didn't sign Messi. In fact, they chased Kane instead. Neither did Bayern or Liverpool, they weren't even interested

As for how much Messi "used to" run, that's both wrong and irrelevant. We're talking about 2021 here, not 2011
I think you're being a little bit dishonest right now. If it had been clear from the start that Messi would leave Barca, he'd be at City right now.

Moreover, Lewandowski isn't exactly a role model at pressing either. He even has less pressures per game than Messi.

By the way, if I remember correctly you're a big fan of Mbappe who runs even less than Messi - is he also unsuitable for top level football?