Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

mshnsh

Just read this on Facebook….

- "We live in a time when we want to give the Ballon d’Or to a player who finished
✔third in La Liga,
✔was eliminated in the knockout stages of the Champions League by losing 4-1 at home (the sixth year in a row being humiliated in CL),
✔who lost the final of the Spanish Super Cup after seeing a red card for hitting the opponent with his right…”

"Just because he scored four goals against Chile, Ecuador and Bolivia! And it’s real.”

✔PS: 29 goals in La Liga, 24 scored against the last seven teams in the league.”

✔5 goals in the Champions League this season, 4 penalties.”

✔Messi Ballon d’Or (laughing emojis). If he wins it, it will be the ugliest and most busted Ballon d’Or in history.
✔Winning the Ballon d'Or after such a bad season, scoring goals that didn’t win your team anything, ✔zero goals against Real Madrid for four years, ✔zero goals against Atletico Madrid, zero against the great clubs, nothing. Thank you Eibar, Osasuna and Getafe.”

✔PS: For those who are telling me about Copa America, this competition with two groups of five teams, where the first four are directly qualified to the quarter-finals! Have you no shame?"

✔✔Someone told the truth finally
Written by a Ronaldo fan undoubtedly. No one deserves it as much a Messi. His individual performances for Barcelona were brilliant mostly and was the stand out player and top scorer at copa America.

kc7

I agree it shouldn't but it does.

Messi wasn't great at all in the Copa this year but people just see the trophies and assume they must have played well/been key.
another absurd comment.. Messi was by far the best player of the tournament, that's why he got the best player award of Copa, the best player in multiple categories including most goals, assists, chance created, dribbles etc.. Also, he was a favorite to win BOD even before Copa..

Last edited:

mshnsh

He does. But if he scores 10, and Lewandowski et al score 40-50, then that is not true anymore. Messi makes teams more vulnerable off the ball than any other player considering that you are with 10 men when defending. He more than makes up for it with his attacking brilliance, but goals are a large part of it.
I hope you understand that when it comes to Messi, goals are the icing on the cake. The cake itself consists of world class dribbling, vision, creativity and passing.

That is what makes him a top 2 GOAT (I say top 2 because I did not watch Pele so I give him the benefit of the doubt) . And also that is why you can't compare him to any other footballer around.

The younger version of Messi contributed defensively as well.

tomaldinho1

Rudiger was better in 21, since Tuchel took over he is dominant. Ruben Dias had better overall season too.

It's hard to rate defenders as some are more protected with the system they play than others, for me De Vrij was very good too. He should be rated very highly for his performance.
Rudiger has actually been excellent - I'd agree - if he'd won the Euros with Germany I have no doubt he'd also be on the shortlist. I do think the aggressive CBs are 'easier' to like though, Rudiger, Maguire, Stones, Godin...that's just not Stones role in the City/England team though & Dias wasn't as good when Stones was out of the team and he also wasn't amazing for Portugal...BdO is for everything...plus now I think about it he got suckered by Werner's run in the CL final which opened up a huge gap for the Chelsea goal. De Vrij I also rate FYI but he'd need an exceptional trophy haul to be in contention.

re the 'protected system' part, that goes the other way as well. Messi/Ronaldo/Lewa have teams built around them - in the same way it's hard to judge a defender, attackers stats give them inflated numbers and there are so many different roles in a football team. For example, Martinez at Inter has had a truly incredible season when you think of his role - as a second/support striker to hit the number of G+A he did & also win the Copa, Serie A and be only one goal behind Messi at the Copa as well but he's not even mentioned because people just think he's a striker and therefore he is judged against Lewa, Messi, Ronaldo on goal output.

tomaldinho1

Probably the most absurd comment here...

Messi's contribution goes beyond goals because he is an elite playmaker + elite goal scorer unlike Ronaldo. You cannot just compare them just looking at the goal stats.
Luckily, most people can see this difference and that's why Messi has always been a part of the BDO conversation this year along with Lewandowski even before his Copa. On the other hand, Ronaldo has never been part of that conversation..
When was Messi being a playmaker ever in question and when was I saying Ronaldo should win it this yea? Chill. Messi has been better than Ronaldo this BdO year but, actually, they have achieved relatively similar feats when you assess the numbers side by side. Lewa is way out in front re goals but then how much of that is to do with being in the Bundesliga? Regardless I'm not debating any of the above in my post but pointing out that trophies are important.

On your second comment, did you watch the Copa? I'd have put Diaz and DePaul in as most impressive players.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
When was Messi being a playmaker ever in question and when was I saying Ronaldo should win it this yea? Chill. Messi has been better than Ronaldo this BdO year but, actually, they have achieved relatively similar feats when you assess the numbers side by side. Lewa is way out in front re goals but then how much of that is to do with being in the Bundesliga? Regardless I'm not debating any of the above in my post but pointing out that trophies are important.

On your second comment, did you watch the Copa? I'd have put Diaz and DePaul in as most impressive players.
messi was comfortably the best player at the Copa, literally had record breaking numbers

tomaldinho1

messi was comfortably the best player at the Copa, literally had record breaking numbers
No problem if that's your opinion - I'd be surprised if you watched a lot of the Copa if you thought that but all good.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
No problem if that's your opinion - I'd be surprised if you watched a lot of the Copa if you thought that but all good.
watched every single match, he wasn’t at his best on the final but had a phenomenal tournament overall

kc7

I watched all the Argentina games in COPA. There has been a very strong consensus on Messi being the best player of the tournament. In fact, most people who watched COPA would ask you the same question, whether you watched COPA or not, if you put forward the names of Diaz or DePaul in front of Messi as the best player of the tournament..

tomaldinho1

I watched all the Argentina games in COPA. There has been a very strong consensus on Messi being the best player of the tournament. In fact, most people who watched COPA would ask you the same question, whether you watched COPA or not, if you put forward the names of Diaz or DePaul in front of Messi as the best player of the tournament..
I did re Arg and that’s why I put forward DePaul. I didn’t watch every single Copa game for every team as another poster did - that’s too much - but if that’s what you think, I’ve zero issues, at no point did I say Messi was rubbish (which seems to be the issue as ever on the caf that if someone doesn’t think a player was that amazing, it suddenly means they were shit).