Bamford - Shame that condemnation of ESL is much stronger than that of racism

RUCK4444

It’s very true and somebody started a thread here before those quotes from Bamford saying exactly the same. Totally agree.

If racism genuinely stirred the same emotion from the people it doesn’t directly effect then we would see much more progress.

RedDevilzFox

That's because one issue is not limited to football and the other is. Racism is a social issue, exists everywhere and its not obvious what one can do tangibly beyond denouncing it when it happens. Clubs already take action in various ways when fans are seen spewing hatred. ESL was a football only problem, could have changed the landscape of football in Europe and perhaps even destroyed a lot of clubs. There are tangible things that could be done to stop it from happening, including lawsuits and potential expulsion from FIFA and UEFA (sure that would have been contested but still) and most of all it was limited to a dozen clubs and not widespread.

His overall point is noted, but its not a good comparison IMO.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Well, considering that every single time a racial incident happens there is massive outrage, and even if there is percieved racism there's viral reactions and outrage, even if it's not there. He's chatting a load of nonsense. Not only that, there's been a 30 to 40 year campaign to try and stamp out racism in the stadiums. To me, these are false equivalences, and if anything, perhaps the reason that the reaction is percieved to be "less than our reaction to racism" is because it is a given that people would be outraged at that? Just maybe football HAS advanced over the last few decades where racism is now condemned whenever it appears, that it's now the new normal? And that things like the super league, which are not a new normal but an horrific change, might be the reason for the large backlash?

And as @RedDevilzFox points out; the ESL is unique to football, racism is a societal issue. And as he says, is so complex it's hard to work out how to actually defeat it, if it's even possible. The ESL did have methods to avoid it. There could have been sanctions or interventions, but ultimately, it was the consumer backlash that ended it before it even began.

Paul_Scholes18

Well if we had a league that did ban black players or had rules that discriminated against people I am sure we would see crazy strong reactions.

Sometimes people say stupid things out of hate when watching a game and all we can do is take proper actions against it. Ban people from seeing the games if they say rasist things etc. No more than that is really needed.

The Mitcher

Well if we had a league that did ban black players or had rules that discriminated against people I am sure we would see crazy strong reactions.

Sometimes people say stupid things out of hate when watching a game and all we can do is take proper actions against it. Ban people from seeing the games if they say rasist things etc. No more than that is really needed.
Banning those people doesn't even stop them being racist, it just moves them to somewhere else where they can be racist.

RedDevilzFox

Banning those people doesn't even stop them being racist, it just moves them to somewhere else where they can be racist.
And that right there is the problem. Time and education are perhaps the only 2 things that will eventually minimize racism and even then there will be people that will hide behind a keyboard and spread nonsense. But that has little to do with outrage for ESL.

Glorio

That's because one issue is not limited to football and the other is. Racism is a social issue, exists everywhere and its not obvious what one can do tangibly beyond denouncing it when it happens. Clubs already take action in various ways when fans are seen spewing hatred. ESL was a football only problem, could have changed the landscape of football in Europe and perhaps even destroyed a lot of clubs. There are tangible things that could be done to stop it from happening, including lawsuits and potential expulsion from FIFA and UEFA (sure that would have been contested but still) and most of all it was limited to a dozen clubs and not widespread.

I believe the strength of the response is a good comparison, not necessarily the result (as you rightly pointed out, racism is a wider issue).

However, even with the result, I firmly believe a similarly strong response towards the clubs of the offenders or even the social media corporations enabling it (in the case of the ESL, the government got involved, docking points and relegation were mentioned, banning players from the world cup, now they're pushing for resignations, and all the punishments you mentioned were floated) more change would have been effected.

Incidentally, that's just a hypothesis which hasn't been tested as the strength and feeling of the ESL response most definitely hasn't been replicated in the case of racism.

RUCK4444

But the clubs themselves are responsible for this Super League stuff. They can't prevent people from being racist but they can ban them from their stadiums and have the police take over to investigate. Doesn't that already happen?

As in, what must we do then? There's lots of anti-racism campaigning but you can't exactly prevent somebody from deciding "feck it lemme shout this racist shit".
It’s the lack of the same emotion/reaction from public figures (and people in general) in comparison to this.

Gary was in tears screaming at the camera like a mad man, pundits everywhere in outrage, global news, every paper, over what? A game, one we love, but a game nevertheless.

Can’t you see the point there? It’s just about priorities really.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
As a black man they are two separate issues. I think sometimes people need to stop equating things.
Yeah. The main point being that the ESL was something palpable for almost everyone. Racism is generally a problem that only affects minorities who are by definition a comparatively smaller number of people.

RedDevilzFox

I believe the strength of the response is a good comparison, not necessarily the result (as you rightly pointed out, racism is a wider issue).

However, even with the result, I firmly believe a similarly strong response towards the clubs of the offenders or even the social media corporations enabling it (in the case of the ESL, the government got involved, docking points and relegation were mentioned, banning players from the world cup, now they're pushing for resignations, and all the punishments you mentioned were floated) more change would have been effected.

Incidentally, that's just a hypothesis which hasn't been tested as the strength and feeling of the ESL response most definitely hasn't been replicated in the case of racism.
Punishing clubs for the actions of fans would be totally misguided though unless it was proven clubs actually condoned racism. As far as I know, no club in England is going around trying to protect or defend these fans. I do however see the point when players are involved (Luis Suarez comes to mind). I think Liverpool made a mistake and looked stupid trying to defend him. There should have been outrage and maybe he should have been booted from the club if only to set an example. But would we have done that ourselves?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Crowd-pleasing nonsense. Racism is an ongoing problem with no easy solution, perpetrated by many different groups and in many different ways. It's unfortunately impossible to have a unified, simple response that will resolve racism.

The Super League had an easy solution - get the billionaires to not do the Super League.

Racism isn't that simple.

90 + 5min

While I agree that there is problem with racism in UK (well, the whole world) these are two different things.

He could have said the same about hot topics like wars, global warming, politics and so on.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I completely get his sentiment and it strikes an emotional chord, but I don't really know how you equate the two.

One is a deep-rooted generational issue and one is a daft plan concocted during a billionaires dinner. One can be up-ended over the course of a chaotic 48 hours, one can't.

I agree from the perspective that more could and should be done to combat racism in football (and in general) though.

The Mitcher

And that right there is the problem. Time and education are perhaps the only 2 things that will eventually minimize racism and even then there will be people that will hide behind a keyboard and spread nonsense. But that has little to do with outrage for ESL.
It's unlikely that racism will ever be purged completely from the game, or even humanity. Unless human nature evolves quickly, which it won't. There will always be that side of humanity that naturally hates the other for whatever reason, bit it rational or irrational. And it seems to me that there is a lot of double standards from the so-called anti-racists in this game. On the one hand they are quick to shame people for not being passionate enough about anti-racism as they are, yet they do not drop the BLM kneeling and endorsements after the UK branch started spouting anti-semitism on twitter. Nor do they punish the likes of Darren Bent who was being racist towards Burnley because they are "too white". If a player or a pundit said for example that Arsenal back in the day was too French, or the England squad has "too many black or mixed players" they would be punished and hounded on social media. But Bent can just say that, and not get punished. But like you said, it's a seperate issue. People like Bamford just want to show how virtuous they are and shame others for their lack thereof.

El Zoido

I get his point but it’s not the same, racism is much more complex and deep-rooted. There were clear villains in the ESL issue, people we could stop. I would support halting all of football until racism is fully eliminated, but there would not be another game of football played for another 100 years. But sure I would support that.

Glorio

As a black man they are two separate issues. I think sometimes people need to stop equating things.
It's a comparison of the reactions (not the equating of the issues) which is valid.

Football can't change people from being racist, that's beyond their scope of control, but they can silence them in footballing circles.

Many social media companies that enable these faceless offenders have taken a very lax approach and we're still "discussing" players boycotting , yet Sky, BT, the clubs themselves, and everybody screaming bloody murder patronise these companies and have accounts. The response is nowhere near as strong.

I'm not condemning the ESL response by the way, it's fully justified, but the same strength of response should be directed at issues as serious as racism.

R'hllor

Well looking at UEFA/FIFA, you could say there is huge difference in reaction when it comes to racism during games and situation where $$$ is in danger.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It’s the lack of the same emotion/reaction from public figures (and people in general) in comparison to this.

Gary was in tears screaming at the camera like a mad man, pundits everywhere in outrage, global news, every paper, over what? A game, one we love, but a game nevertheless.

It wasn't all 'over a game' though. Every football player, fan, pundit, journalist all spoke out because had it gone ahead football as we know it now would have been dead, this was much larger than 'just a game', hence the words.

As for racism, it's an issue with society in general, hard to know where football comes into it really?!

The Mitcher

I get his point but it’s not the same, racism is much more complex and deep-rooted. There were clear villains in the ESL issue, people we could stop. I would support halting all of football until racism is fully eliminated, but there would not be another game of football played for another 100 years. But sure I would support that.
There wouldn't be football forever if that happened. You aren't going to change human nature.

Paul_Scholes18

True it might be better to talk with them without hating them back. Don't think an outcry would help.

I think for us not involved in it I think it is best to talk about equal right and equal value about everyone. If we spread those ideas we might be able to challenge rasism.
Although it is about voting for political parties with good values too and lots of people do not do that.

Nationalism is going strong and it goes hand and hand with racism.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah. The main point being that the ESL was something palpable for almost everyone. Racism is generally a problem that only affects minorities who are by definition a comparatively smaller number of people.
I think that's a key point. In total, I think it's combination of this individualized impact of the ESL and its suddenness. As for the latter: racism is a continuous thing, and therefore a single racist incident, or simply the awareness that racism still exist, isn't getting people's emotions up quite as much as the sudden impact of the founding of the ESL. Racism does have similar events, like individual instances of police murdering black people in the US - the George Floyd murder being a clear example of a racist event leading to an enormous and almost global counter-reaction. But this kind of event is rare in general, and I don't think any of them has directly touched on football yet.

As for the impact: fans felt personally affronted by the founding of the ESL: it affects their personal appreciation of football as it's organized. People who can't identify with the person receiving the racist abuse are much less likely to feel involved in what's happening, again blunting the emotional reaction.

Just to clarify: I'm not arguing that racism is less impactful or important than the founding of the ESL. In my view, the ESL is trivial speck of nothingness compared to racism. I'm just trying to explain the differences in public responses.

Glorio

This

The Mitcher

True it might be better to talk with them without hating them back. Don't think an outcry would help.

I think for us not involved in it I think it is best to talk about equal right and equal value about everyone. If we spread those ideas we might be able to challenge rasism.
Although it is about voting for political parties with good values too and lots of people do not do that.

Nationalism is going strong and it goes hand and hand with rasism.
You aren't likely going to convince irrational people that they are wrong, or even those who have a rational reason they can prove. Nor can you change human nature.

As for nationalism, can you not say the same for racial groups the premier league supports like BLM? The same movement that got in trouble over anti-semetic tweets which caused the likes of Evra to pull his support on air?

This is seperate issue to the ESL, and as I said in a previous post, the norm is outrage over racism, that's why it appears as if the outrage over this was "bigger".

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's unlikely that racism will ever be purged completely from the game, or even humanity. Unless human nature evolves quickly, which it won't. There will always be that side of humanity that naturally hates the other for whatever reason, bit it rational or irrational. And it seems to me that there is a lot of double standards from the so-called anti-racists in this game. On the one hand they are quick to shame people for not being passionate enough about anti-racism as they are, yet they do not drop the BLM kneeling and endorsements after the UK branch started spouting anti-semitism on twitter. Nor do they punish the likes of Darren Bent who was being racist towards Burnley because they are "too white". If a player or a pundit said for example that Arsenal back in the day was too French, or the England squad has "too many black or mixed players" they would be punished and hounded on social media. But Bent can just say that, and not get punished. But like you said, it's a seperate issue. People like Bamford just want to show how virtuous they are and shame others for their lack thereof.
I don't feel like getting into the other things right now, but just to point out that taking a knee in the EPL has not been associated with the BLM campaign anymore since September, and was never associated with the BLM organization (which is a separate thing). (link)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think the reason for it is unfortunately fairly simple. Racism has little to no impact on the majority of football fans. ESL, meanwhile, was a threat to something everyone held dear.

The Mitcher

I don't feel like getting into the other things right now, but just to point out that taking a knee in the EPL has not been associated with the BLM campaign anymore since September, and was never associated with the BLM organization (which is a separate thing). (link)
It's easy to say that when it's included with their iconography, and it's something their activists do? But as you said, its getting off topic.

Paul_Scholes18

You aren't likely going to convince irrational people that they are wrong, or even those who have a rational reason they can prove. Nor can you change human nature.

As for nationalism, can you not say the same for racial groups the premier league supports like BLM? The same movement that got in trouble over anti-semetic tweets which caused the likes of Evra to pull his support on air?

This is seperate issue to the ESL, and as I said in a previous post, the norm is outrage over racism, that's why it appears as if the outrage over this was "bigger".
Well for people that are racists it has strong emotional connections. It is like they hate or disgust people who are different similar to nationalism and hate over different religions. If you can connect to them in an emotional way you might be able to change how people view things. Being calm and collected as well as being open to listen to what they have to say.
Although attacking them back is only going to make them defensive most of the time. It is the same as if someone attacks our club or players. We turn defensive to protect them particular if it is Liverpool or a rival club.

Velvet Revolver

I think the focus here is the mobilization of the fans, pundits, supporter groups, ex players, managers, the royals, govt etc etc in such a short span of time to put enormous pressure on the 'wrong doers'. This has never been the case with racism, it's always # this and # that and slap on the wrist or public statements of guilt or shame that is it. nothing more. There should be consequences of actions of these racist behaviors. Until then it will just be what it is a forever movement which takes 1 step forward and 10 steps behind. So if enough people take appropriate actions this can also be dealt with quite well.

ChaddyP

I thought the response to blatant racism was pretty strong from people over the last years. People were wiling to protest in the heights of the pandemic. Lots of players and managers spoke out, even more than they have over the ESL in my opinion. The difference is their is an end goal. Cancel the super league. Clubs just pull out of it and dont it.

How do you measure stopping racism, or achieving something in the fight against it.

Cavani got a bloody 3 match ban for saying negrito just last January.

The Mitcher

I think the focus here is the mobilization of the fans, pundits, supporter groups, ex players, managers, the royals, govt etc etc in such a short span of time to put enormous pressure on the 'wrong doers'. This has never been the case with racism, it's always # this and # that and slap on the wrist or public statements of guilt or shame that is it. nothing more. There should be consequences of actions of these racist behaviors. Until then it will just be what it is a forever movement which takes 1 step forward and 10 steps behind. So if enough people take appropriate actions this can also be dealt with quite well.
I think that's downplaying it completely. I think football did a lot of work to curb it substantially, especially in England, for the last 40 years. Racism is not like the ESL, which is a commercial and economic situation. All it took was for the consumers, the players, the stockholders to say no, and that was it. Racism is a social issue that goes beyond football, it's not going to be stamped out because the free market says so. It's rooted in human nature. The fact it has largely been confined to the odd moment that goes viral every few months in England, is testament to the work that was done to build bridges back in the day. I was a steward at United for three or four seasons, and I never saw fans be racist. Only ever violent.

Speedicut75

Said this in error on another thread earlier this week, but look at how UEFA deal with acts of demonstrable and inveterate racism, where certain clubs are concerned, and the paltry, inconsequential, sanctions they face; but threaten this executive's bottom line with the prospect of a parallel tournament and they bring the full force of their official station to bear and threaten immediate and enduring suspension from all activity within the wider footballing firmament. Just shows how this whole fetid situation exposed not just the raw greed of the "dirty twelve" ( or whatever the chattering classes now want to call them ) but also just how willfully impotent the official organs of footballing governance are unless there's a commercial land-grab afoot, and then it's a matter of uttermost urgency to save the "beautiful game" from the encroaching sprawl of cynical, profit driven, consumerism.
And all this hand-wringing gaining explicit support from FIFA, who they, themselves, sought to initiate a Club Championship of their own design, all running in symmetry with their efforts to enable a smooth transition into the next World Cup: a tournament in the preparation, at least, where the death toll of foreign labourers continues to spiral.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's easy to say that when it's included with their iconography, and it's something their activists do? But as you said, its getting off topic.
I didn't say it was off-topic, just that I didn't feel like getting into other elements of your post. I do think the BLM thing is an important point, cause it's been used as a distraction. The BLM organization is fairly small and isn't what drives the BLM movement internationally. Most people would never have heard of that organization if others hadn't brought it up. People that are all up in arms about what the BLM organization says and how that tarnishes the EPL's support for the international BLM movement appear to care more about finding fault with the EPL campaign than about the actual subject at hand (fighting racism). I mean, here you are talking about double standards from anti-racists, downplaying racism and its activists. Maybe that isn't your intention, but it is how it comes across. I mean, what does it have to do with Bamford's point?

Paul_Scholes18

Bizzare to compare the two, completely separate issues. Absolutely no relation, we look for racism everywhere don't we...
I feel fighting hate with hate is not the best idea. I guess we might cause people going silent cause they do not dare to speak the view they got.
Although people being racist in secret is not much better.

The Mitcher

Said this in error on another thread earlier this week, but look at how UEFA deal with acts of demonstrable and inveterate racism, where certain clubs are concerned, and the paltry, inconsequential, sanctions they face; but threaten this executive's bottom line with the prospect of a parallel tournament and they bring the full force of their official station to bear and threaten immediate and enduring suspension from all activity within the wider footballing firmament. Just shows how this whole fetid situation exposed not just the raw greed of the "dirty twelve" ( or whatever the chattering classes now want to call them ) but also just how willfully impotent the official organs of footballing governance are unless there's a commercial land-grab afoot, and then it's a matter of uttermost urgency to save the "beautiful game" from the encroaching sprawl of cynical, profit driven, consumerism.
And all this hand-wringing gaining explicit support from FIFA, who they, themselves, sought to initiate a Club Championship of their own design, all running in symmetry with their efforts to enable a smooth transition into the next World Cup: a tournament in the preparation, at least, where the death toll of foreign labourers continues to spiral.
You ban the fans, they will just be racist outside the stadium or somewhere else. Racism isn't solved when FIFA spends more money on it.