Music Bands that are more famous for things other than music

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The One Direction lot. Ozzy now? Morrissey now?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Boomtown Rats and Ultravox/Slik
Famous for St Bob and Midge Ure pre Band Aid and Live Aid.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Hot take

The Ramones are more famous for t-shirts than their songs.
Agree.
I loved The Ramones and saw them live many times.
I sometimes see kids wearing the shirts and if I ask if they like their music I usually get a blank look in return.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Agree.
I sometimes see kids wearing the shirts and if I ask if they like their music I usually get a blank look in return.
I used to like Blitzkrieg Bop because it was in a Tony Hawk game. 20 years later when I went looking for it, I discovered it was the Ramones who sang it.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
the american chart toppers “smash my brother’s face in.”

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The Misfits. Much like KISS and the Ramones, they're just a merchandise machine. They were touring with 1 original member for a while, with two guys from Black Flag, playing misc punk covers. Saw them in 2004, seemed like a bit of a con to do it under the MIsfits name.

At least that awful Michael Graves fella isn't associated with them anymore.

It also seems like Nirvana are heading in a similar direction to the Ramones. I see Nirvana shirts everywhere now. A kid at my school used to get smacked around by the meatheads because his backpack had a Nirvana patch on it. Now you can get your Nirvana merch in Topshop. Shit's wild.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The Misfits. Much like KISS and the Ramones, they're just a merchandise machine. They were touring with 1 original member for a while, with two guys from Black Flag, playing misc punk covers. Saw them in 2004, seemed like a bit of a con to do it under the MIsfits name.

At least that awful Michael Graves fella isn't associated with them anymore.

It also seems like Nirvana are heading in a similar direction to the Ramones. I see Nirvana shirts everywhere now. A kid at my school used to get smacked around by the meatheads because his backpack had a Nirvana patch on it. Now you can get your Nirvana merch in Topshop. Shit's wild.
Yep was going say The Misfits for the merch and their songs being covered by all and sundry.
They were defo underrated in their time.

Nirvana at least produced a few brilliant albums and had loads of bangers backed up by excellent live performances.

Fingeredmouse

Agree.
90 second song -2,3,4 - 90 second song - 2, 3,4. Repeat for 60 minutes. feck off.
Miss them.

I once got challenged for wearing a Ramones tshirt on the assumption I didn't know them and just shopped in Topshop and then promptly rhymed off all their albums but, yes, you're right wearing tshirts of bands you don't know seems to be a thing now which is bizarre to me.

In the early 90s, James and Ned's Atomic Dustbin tshirts were ubiquitous and I'm sure that those wearing them weren't all fans. Ned's sold more tshirts than records I'm convinced.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lostprophets.
Every time I see them mentioned, I think of my best friend at uni who was a huge fan. Tattoos on his arm of the band, had a shit ton of memorabilia, would blast their music in his car and argue how they’re the best band in the world.

Wonder how he took the news :nervous:

onemanarmy

Sure, controversy has made them somewhat known outside of their specific music scene, but at the very least they released a legendary album in the early years of the genre. Within the genre, their musical legacy is not in doubt.
You could say the same for a lot of bands mentioned here though. The legacy of the Ramones is massive. Even Misfits were a big influence to the likes of Metallica and Anthrax.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Rolling Stones among anyone under 30 for the same t-shirt reason? Though they probably still are aware that they're a band.

redcucumber

Yep was going say The Misfits for the merch and their songs being covered by all and sundry.
They were defo underrated in their time.

Nirvana at least produced a few brilliant albums and had loads of bangers backed up by excellent live performances.
Misfits were amazing. So many great songs. Discography is weird with the boxsets etc., but they are one of the best to do it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Misfits were amazing. So many great songs. Discography is weird with the boxsets etc., but they are one of the best to do it.
Yeah I've got a massive supposedly complete boxset of their stuff. At least a dozen or more great tunes and more decent ones, but some of it sounds like it was recorded in a cave with a £1.99 dictaphone.

redcucumber

Yeah I've got a massive supposedly complete boxset of their stuff. At least a dozen or more great tunes and more decent ones, but some of it sounds like it was recorded in a cave with a £1.99 dictaphone.
:lol: all part of the charm!

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Pete Doherty is more famous for dragging down Amy Winehouse than for his own music, I’d say.