barca-united 1994 trivia??

keano6_16

a mate asked me to name the starting XI for this match, for the life of me i can't get fully right?

am i correct with Walsh, Parker, Bruce, Palister, Irwin, Keane, Ince, Sharpe,

not sure about kanchelskis/cantona/hughes/mcclair!

if someone could help out it would be great!

Bearded but no genius

The OT 2-2 draw was

Schmeichel, Parker, Irwin, May, Butt, Pallister, Kanchelskis, Ince, Keane, Hughes, Sharpe. Goals from Hughes and Sharpe.

The 4-0 loss away was

Walsh, Parker, Irwin, Bruce, Butt, Pallister, Kanchelskis, Ince, Keane, Hughes, Giggs

dc_red

Shane Bluck said:
We really did have the piss taken out of us on that night.
Which led to me getting the piss taken out of me by all my ABU mates and then proceeding to get totally pissed to dull the pain.

That one was a lesson!

Bearded but no genius

Shane Bluck said:
JCL though I am, I've sat through the tape.

I blame Liverpool for making our learning curve so high. And the foreigners who imposed the foreigners rule.

jamesblonde

I remember thinking we'd never win in Europe with Bruce in the team. Loved his attitude, but himself and Pally stood so far off Romario in case he turned them, that he just picked up the ball and ran at them. Terrible Stoichkov was class too.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Shane Bluck said:
too right.

Fecking Romario ran rings round Pally and Bruce, they were made to look stupid! Super player Romario.

Red_Aaron

i remeber the OT game more (have sucessfully blocked out the other)
romario was just awesome.

i remember reading big pete interviewed a few years after where he said he'd studied loads of footage of romario and felt he'd figured out that whenever the brazilian was through one on one he'd always try to dink it over the keeper so pete was determined to stay on his feet as long as possible when faced by him. Well during the OT game romario was put through against him and big pete closed him down and stayed up thinking he'd got him sussed......but romario, quick as a flash slipped it through his legs without even breaking his stride.

he was a great player

heightmassive

Anagram of Peter Crouch
L.S. Lowry, Albert Finney, Vinegar Vera, Ben Kings
Red_Aaron said:
i remeber the OT game more (have sucessfully blocked out the other)
romario was just awesome.

i remember reading big pete interviewed a few years after where he said he'd studied loads of footage of romario and felt he'd figured out that whenever the brazilian was through one on one he'd always try to dink it over the keeper so pete was determined to stay on his feet as long as possible when faced by him. Well during the OT game romario was put through against him and big pete closed him down and stayed up thinking he'd got him sussed......but romario, quick as a flash slipped it through his legs without even breaking his stride.

he was a great player
He's still playing, top scorer in Brazil last year. He's desperatley trying to beat Pele's 1000 goal career record, he's on 967 at the moment!

Bonkers.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
$ukhjit said:
Were we really raped that night?
Yup and how I taunted all the glory hunters in my school, they were ashamed to even show their faces for the rest of that week :D One my mates still holds a grudge against Barca because of that match, he was supporting Chelsea the other week just because of that. Over 11 years on get over it! That night Romario and Stoichkov were just unplayable though, how did that team not win the European cup because feck me those two were just brilliant and two of the best players I've ever seen. In the world cup of 1994 as well those two were just fecking awesome. There was no shame in being fecked over by those two! That Romario was a special one though, didn't give a feck about training but would turn up and score the most incredible goals, probably the most natural finisher you will find.

I think in a funny way it did your lot a world of good. Fergie learned from his mistakes and started to rebuild his side. 5 years later you had won the competition.

Spoony

JazzG said:
I think in a funny way it did your lot a world of good. Fergie learned from his mistakes and started to rebuild his side. 5 years later you had won the competition.

The side that lost in the Camp Nou was with out our best two players, though. Cantona and Big Pete - we suffered due to the foreigner rule. That aside, I think the occasion got to our players, first time infront of 100,000, playing in possibly the best stadium in the world.

Most Barca fans consider that side as their best ever. Personally, I think the one we played in 99 was marginally better.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Spoony said:
The side that lost in the Camp Nou was with out our best two players, though. Cantona and Big Pete - we suffered due to the foreigner rule. That aside, I think the occasion got to our players, first time infront of 100,000, playing in possibly the best stadium in the world.

Most Barca fans consider that side as their best ever. Personally, I think the one we played in 99 was marginally better.
Thing is even the team you had out there was pretty damn good, apart from Walsh you had 10 established players out there. I don't think Cantona or Schmeichel would helped your side stop Romario and Stoichkov that night, they were just too good and I reckon most sides in Europe would of got slaughtered with the performance they put in.

As for which were the best ever side they were both pretty damn good. Barca have had a few top sides, the side in 1974 with Cruyff, mid eighties well old el tel had them winning trophies, the 1997 side with Ronaldo in absoultely stunning form and even the current side are pretty damn good. In 1999 it was all about Rivaldo though and he was the main man, they did have other top players as well like Figo but it all was about him. In 1994 they had Romario, Stoichkov and even the likes of Guardiola at the peak of their powers. If I'm not wrong weren't they coached by Cruyff and they had Laudrup, Hagi and Koeman in that side as well? That side were pretty special and known as the dream team by their lot. I'd say that side and the current Barca side are among their best.

Robbo

I remember Stoichkov saying they'd beat us pre match and easily...!!..I remember thinking arrogant bastard, we'll show them..

they did..we did'nt..