Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Are there no Barca fans that think this is all pretty crazy on their part leveraging the future of the club to keep spending huge money, instead of doing a reset?
It wouldn’t even have been a reset. Without any signings they would have still gotten a top 4 spot in the league.

Manigault

Quotes to back up your point?
Really? Do I really need to quote anything? all the transfers are already agreeded and signed by the parts. What else do you need to believe it? Watch tomorrow game, you'll probably believe it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It wouldn’t even have been a reset. Without any signings they would have still gotten a top 4 spot in the league.
Sure. They had a chance a while ago to sell Messi to City for a 100m and properly start a reset, but even now, if they were to make no major signings and try to flog the players who are a drain on their resources...are there no fans asking for suffering in the short-term to not ruin the club in the long-term? Is it just everyone else in the football world that sees that?

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Hoping they have been using Essien’s calculator and even with this 4th lever they cannot register all the players for tomorrow’s game.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
They're pretty reputable football journalists, and it's a good podcast. You can find it on Spotify, or here.

You're talking about things that will happen in the future (which I understand), but there are also things happening right now, which a lot of people are equating to mortgaging your future. You can't just brush away this summer by saying "we'll see", there is some actual analysis regarding how things have been conducted, and treatment of players, which is absolutely relevant for people who are interested in football and the current situation.

And whatever you may believe, the public image and standing of your club has absolutely taken a hit this summer.
The public image is forgotten in a short time. We all saw the images that swept around the world of Real Madrid fans kicking Bale's car and the like-minded media giving him sticks every day.
And the players still want to go there. And contracts don't go down but increase.

When you do this type of operation you also have a plan for the future. Laporta in an interview said that in the coming years Barcelona will spend little and that they must lower the wage bill.

Laurencio

Sure. They had a chance a while ago to sell Messi to City for a 100m and properly start a reset, but even now, if they were to make no major signings and try to flog the players who are a drain on their resources...are there no fans asking for suffering in the short-term to not ruin the club in the long-term? Is it just everyone else in the football world that sees that?
They have most definitely missed their chance to make serious money on their players. If it goes pear shaped for them, everyone will know they have to sell players at bargain bin level prices just to stay afloat. Next summer could be even wilder than this one.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The public image is forgotten in a short time. We all saw the images that swept around the world of Real Madrid fans kicking Bale's car and the like-minded media giving him sticks every day.
And the players still want to go there. And contracts don't go down but increase.
I doubt anyone takes note of fan actions, least of all players who are subjected to insults on a weekly basis. It just highlights the classlessness, but it's par for the course.

An institution bullying its players into taking reduced wages, that's different though.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I doubt anyone takes note of fan actions, least of all players who are subjected to insults on a weekly basis. It just highlights the classlessness, but it's par for the course.

An institution bullying its players into taking reduced wages, that's different though.
I agree with you, the treatment of FDJ is not conceivable. Mainly filtering his contract.

It doesn't take me by surprise, I already knew Laporta and his methods.

bosskeano

they've sold their clubs soul for the immediate success and gratification ....long term they've sold away a lot of rights and future income that they will struggle to recover from

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
long term they've sold away a lot of rights and future income that they will struggle to recover from
how is it always that people only highlight the negative side of giving away future money and simply ignore the work done to recover that loss with new sponsors and higher revenue? I mean it's investment 1x1. I don't know how often it was said, that Spotify alone almost covered the 25% TV rights income in comparison to Rakuten, not to mention the new sleeve sponsor. And Barca Studios wasn't even profitable, since Barca doesn't have any knowledge in digital marketing. Now they've received €200m for 49% and the knowledge to make the remaining 51% profitable in the future.
How is it, that "you all" never mention those kind of things when talking about that topic? Maybe because it doesn't fit your narrative about todays Barca?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Hoping they have been using Essien’s calculator and even with this 4th lever they cannot register all the players for tomorrow’s game.
They were banking on getting away with their shell company accounting scheme. That didn't work out as intended, and now they're facing an additional 150m gap. So, no they have to pull another lever

HTG

Supports
Bayern
how is it always that people only highlight the negative side of giving away future money and simply ignore the work done to recover that loss with new sponsors and higher revenue? I mean it's investment 1x1. I don't know how often it was said, that Spotify alone almost covered the 25% TV rights income in comparison to Rakuten, not to mention the new sleeve sponsor. And Barca Studios wasn't even profitable, since Barca doesn't have any knowledge in digital marketing. Now they've received €200m for 49% and the knowledge to make the remaining 51% profitable in the future.
How is it, that "you all" never mention those kind of things when talking about that topic? Maybe because it doesn't fit your narrative about todays Barca?
I also don’t understand why people fail to highlight the positive aspects of mortgaging your future for short term gain. It baffles me, I must say. Can’t think of any reason why.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I agree with you, the treatment of FDJ is not conceivable. Mainly filtering his contract.

It doesn't take me by surprise, I already knew Laporta and his methods.
For whatever reason it doesn't stop its attractiveness to top players to join Barcelona. So from fans perspective why would people care if even the players don't?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
For whatever reason it doesn't stop its attractiveness to top players to join Barcelona. So from fans perspective why would people care if even the players don't?
But.is it true that they don't care? Apparently Kessie and Christensen could just leave if they aren't registered in time, so it looks like they acknowledged the risky game Barca is playing financially and took precautions.

bosskeano

If Barca studios wasn't even profitable then why would someone spend 100m to buy 25% rights in something that may or may not have a return in the investment? seems like a poor business choice

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
But.is it true that they don't care? Apparently Kessie and Christensen could just leave if they aren't registered in time, so it looks like they acknowledged the risky game Barca is playing financially and took precautions.
Barcelona has this practice on how they treat their players for a while already. Just look at how they treat Suarez and Messi. The players are well aware of what happened there. If the players don't care, neither should the fans. Football fans are not accountants and I care less how they operate financially, just like i won't care how Intel or Titok run financially as well. If their products are good, you use it. If Barcelona's football is good, then i watch it.

Blackwidow

Because it is stupid to have mountains of depth and instead of saving up money and cutting the spending you do luxury investments...

If I have massive debt and do not know how to buy myself food I do not take out another big depth and buy myself a luxury car and a big holiday - maybe I win the lottery tomorrow...

Last edited:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
If Barca studios wasn't even profitable then why would someone spend 100m to buy 25% rights in something that may or may not have a return in the investment? seems like a poor business choice
Because it's not true.
2Playbook noted in December 2020 that Barca Studios was generating more than €30 million (US$34.8 million) in revenue and had earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) of €17 million (US$19.7 million).
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/barcelona-barca-studios-joan-laporta-debt-loss-revenue-2020-21/

NoLogo

I love how these Barça apologists act like those €600M are just awesomely created from thin air and not another source of debt their club has to service. Hey Barça fans, let me give you a credit card with €10.000 on it, you can spend it on whatever you like, but you owe me 25% of your wages for the next 25 years, deal?

*small print: must earn at least 50k a year to qualify.

SteveTheRed

The whole Barca fiasco this summer really is a hail mary - you don't get to sell your soul twice. If these player buys don't work out and they don't regain top position in Spain and Europe...then what do they do?

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Because it's not true.
Gerard Romero has said that BarcaStudios right now gives losses, so has some other media.
Also some other media has said that it gives benefits.
Until they give the figures of the 21-22 season we will not know.

TheLord

If the twat, Gérard Romero, can be believed, the deficit is only in the tune of £30m. This is a perfectly manageable sum to register all their players.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
And one more lockdown, pandemic, act of god or anything at all and the club is back to square one expect with a lot less assets to leverage against. Why not build upon the base of the squad they had last season and use youth players for the new few seasons and get the books balanced correctly and start reducing debts, the sensible way.
Nope, we will sell off assets now and hope nothing goes wrong in the future, bury our head in the sand and let the future of the club ride on whether or not we win trophies in the short term.
Booing players to take pay cuts is disgusting whatever way you look at it. The club offered the terms to the players and it seems the club decision makers get a free ride in all of this when it was in fact that they have contributed to this mess.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
And one more lockdown, pandemic, act of god or anything at all and the club is back to square one expect with a lot less assets to leverage against. Why not build upon the base of the squad they had last season and use youth players for the new few seasons and get the books balanced correctly and start reducing debts, the sensible way.
Nope, we will sell off assets now and hope nothing goes wrong in the future, bury our head in the sand and let the future of the club ride on whether or not we win trophies in the short term.
Booing players to take pay cuts is disgusting whatever way you look at it. The club offered the terms to the players and it seems the club decision makers get a free ride in all of this when it was in fact that they have contributed to this mess.
Because with last year's team you have the risk of not entering the Champions League if you get a bad season.
You will also lose a lot of income in all economic sections.
And also if you are like this many years the great players are reluctant to come to the club.

AbusementPark

Because with last year's team you have the risk of not entering the Champions League if you get a bad season.
And also if you are like this many years the great players are reluctant to come to the club.
United have missed champions league a few times in the last ten years and revenue has been increased through sponsorship. Yes we have found it difficult to attract the best players in the world but not impossible.
How many teams in La Liga are capable of grabbing champions league football ahead of Barca? Two Madrid teams are about it, the league isn’t as competitive as what the EPL is and less likely for Barca to fall that low they wouldn’t make Champions league.

Serious note do the fans need shiny new toyto make them go to games?
If they see the same players from last season will it represent failure?

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
United have missed champions league a few times in the last ten years and revenue has been increased through sponsorship. Yes we have found it difficult to attract the best players in the world but not impossible.
How many teams in La Liga are capable of grabbing champions league football ahead of Barca? Two Madrid teams are about it, the league isn’t as competitive as what the EPL is and less likely for Barca to fall that low they wouldn’t make Champions league.

Serious note do the fans need shiny new toyto make them go to games?
If they see the same players from last season will it represent failure?
It's not about new players, it's that last year the team played bad football during many moments of the season.
And many players did not have the level of a team fighting for the champions league.

RVN1991

I will dance on their grave when they're drowning in debt and have to go into administration. From their holier than thou attitude, to their shady dealings, to their shit fans booing players who don't take a pay cut they've surpassed Real Madrid as the most despicable club in world football in my eyes at least.

RoyH1

Guy that bought it is a Catalan nationalist who owns a big share of the company that transmits La Liga, Mediapro.
There is no way to lose in this for him

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Niemans, I don't know if you personally did it, but I know other Barcelona fans on Redcafe and elsewhere kept pointing out that under Xavi, Barcelona had similar points per game as Real Madrid. Then of course there was the 0-4 against Real Madrid, lots of boastful declarations that Barcelona were back, etc.

It's a bit strange to go from that to "we need hundreds of millions of euros poured into the first team because we'll die otherwise." This stuff wasn't even that long ago, it was in March.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Last year's Barcelona squad had Ter Stegen, Busquets, Pique, Araujo, Alba, Pedri, de Jong, Dembele, Depay, and later Aubameyang and Torres. This is simply much better than almost any squad in La Liga. The odds of not qualifying to the CL with a squad like this are basically zero. You'd need serious problems off the pitch for that to happen.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Niemans, I don't know if you personally did it, but I know other Barcelona fans on Redcafe and elsewhere kept pointing out that under Xavi, Barcelona had similar points per game as Real Madrid. Then of course there was the 0-4 against Real Madrid, lots of boastful declarations that Barcelona were back, etc.

It's a bit strange to go from that to "we need hundreds of millions of euros poured into the first team because we'll die otherwise." This stuff wasn't even that long ago, it was in March.
Barcelona got a lot of points, it's true. But after the match against Real Madrid and the FIFA break, the team was a real disaster, not playing a single good game. Barcelona was inferior to Frankfurt, lost 3 of the last 4 league games at home, and won some in the last few minutes being inferior.

And without the levers, last year's team would have to take Dembele away.

A bad year of injuries and you are out of the champions league and World Cup year in the middle of the season.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Last year's Barcelona squad had Ter Stegen, Busquets, Pique, Araujo, Alba, Pedri, de Jong, Dembele, Depay, and later Aubameyang and Torres. This is simply much better than almost any squad in La Liga. The odds of not qualifying to the CL with a squad like this are basically zero. You'd need serious problems off the pitch for that to happen.
Which is why them signing so many players and selling their soul in exchange is such a farce

Tallis

They have sold off 10 percent of their revenue and have deferred approximately €120m of wages. They have signed 5 new players presumably on significant salary and spend around €150m on transfer fee. They had €460m of loss last year ?

Covid recovery will increase their revenue by €200m or so. And I guess they probably have bunch of cash now - close to 700-800m raised ? That should remove their immediate debt concerns. However, they have made it very difficult for themselves to be profit making or cash flow generative over the next few years

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I think they should be sanctioned with how blatant and obvious their tactics have been lately. They're beating other teams to sing players by offering some ridiculous wages only to blackmail them later on into taking paycuts.

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
Aparently, Goldman Sachs, Bayern, Leeds, Chelsea, Manchester City, Sevilla, along with other small clubs, and players such Lewandowski, Koundé, Raphina, Dembelé, Christensen and Kessié, don't agree with you.

They should have asked the CAF I guess. :D
Leeds' owner straight up said that if Barcelona didn't pay up by September 2nd they'd be in a world of hurt.
Seems we'll know about any issues Barca may have to register new players or to pay installments of transfer fees by early September (or earlier).

AbusementPark

I think they should be sanctioned with how blatant and obvious their tactics have been lately. They're beating other teams to sing players by offering some ridiculous wages only to blackmail them later on into taking paycuts.
Totally agree, this shouldn't be happening at any level of football let alone one of the biggest clubs in the world.
The team they have this season is ridiculous for strength and depth, but at what future cost will this hinder them in the future. Im hoping it does blow up in their face massively due to the risks they have taken over the years and even now acting recklessly living beyond their means.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

When you do this type of operation you also have a plan for the future. Laporta in an interview said that in the coming years Barcelona will spend little and that they must lower the wage bill.
Didn’t he say that last summer as well?