g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Can someone summaries the levers and how much of the clubs revenue (as percentage of total) they have mortgaged to the third party investors.
- 25% LaLiga television rights - €500M
- 49% BarcaStudios - €200M

- 7-8 % of club revenue approximately

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Barcelona could be forced to let two new signings leave for free, if they can not registered before the weekend. It is from caughtoffside, but I also read in a more trustworthy danish paper (tipsbladet).

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2022/08/10/barcelona-transfer-news-kessie-and-christensen-could-leave/
Barcelona will probably have all the players registered before Saturday's match, and in case it is not, the most important ones will be registered for that match. The others will possibly already be for the second game.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Barcelona will probably have all the players registered before Saturday's match, and in case it is not, the most important ones will be registered for that match. The others will possibly already be for the second game.
I tend to believe by the end of the month barca will have no problem register all the new players.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I tend to believe by the end of the month barca will have no problem register all the new players.
The only doubt I have is in the signing of Bernardo Silva. Where will they get enough salary space in the event that FDJ does not leave or renew.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Barça fans on here are quite disgusting. Which is a pretty fair reflection of what they're like in real life, in fact. I doubt it's been a surprise for anyone, but it's nice that they've been shown for what they are, this summer.
They honestly must live in a different plane of existence because I don’t know how they come out with the stuff they do

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
For how many years?
25 years. Television rights have a buyback option. BarcaStudios believes that it has the option to buy back only 24.5% of the rights sold.
BarcaStudios right now according to some information, including Gerard Romero, gives losses.
Right now it's 7-8% of annual revenue. 15 years from now who knows.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
25 years. Television rights have a buyback option. BarcaStudios believes that it has the option to buy back only 24.5% of the rights sold.
BarcaStudios right now according to some information, including Gerard Romero, gives losses.
Buyback option? Serious question, do you think you'll buy them back? And if so, how?

SambaBoy

Nothing will happen in terms of them being fined or unable to register players.

It's the same old - expecting City to be fined massively and banned from CL competitions, and them getting away with it under statue of limitations. Obviously it'll be a different rule for Barca but they will no doubt get away with it.

What's the biggest sanction a club has faced? Chelsea in the modern era or when they were banned from signing players for one window which was originally 3?

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Buyback option? Serious question, do you think you'll buy them back? And if so, how?
No, I see it quite unlikely that Barcelona will buy back these rights. If in 10-15 years the television rights go up a lot then Barcelona could think about buying them back.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
For most football fans they don't need to care the club's finance, in this case especially if u don't live in Barcelona. Most people only care about the team performance. If Barcelona goes bankrupt and doesn't get bail out, then support other team. I personally care less if Barcelona sell all the assets or future revenue, if they play well I will watch their games. Barcelona's management already decided this is the best way to turn around the ship, so just wait and see. They can be right after all.

lex talionis

No, I see it quite unlikely that Barcelona will buy back these rights. If in 10-15 years the television rights go up a lot then Barcelona could think about buying them back.
Niemans, can you point me to one or two of the leading Barca forums? I’d like to read what Barca supporters are saying about how the club is treating its players and managing its financial situation generally. Thanks!

cyberman

The new tv deal is an improvement of 100k a year if I remember correctly. That’s over an 8 year period when the new deal ends and the preceding deal began
They aren’t going up.

crossy1686

career ending
They’re coming down if anything. Unless Barcelona and Madrid can negotiate a bigger cut of course

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Niemans, can you point me to one or two of the leading Barca forums? I’d like to read what Barca supporters are saying about how the club is treating its players and managing its financial situation generally. Thanks!
I don't know forums of Barcelona or any other team. Just this one.
Fans for the comments on Gerard Romero's channel and some interviews on TV, fans do not like how Laporta is treating FDJ, he is a player that fans like very much, he is also a good boy and who wants to succeed in Barcelona.
Now, people understand that that salary is unsustainable and it would be best for him to leave or lower his salary.
The fans are very burned by the barbarities of salaries that the players received in recent years. Right now people want piqué, Busquets, Alba and Ter Stegen to leave the team.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't know forums of Barcelona or any other team. Just this one.
Fans for the comments on Gerard Romero's channel and some interviews on TV, fans do not like how Laporta is treating FDJ, he is a player that fans like very much, he is also a good boy and who wants to succeed in Barcelona.
Now, people understand that that salary is unsustainable and it would be best for him to leave or lower his salary.
The fans are very burned by the barbarities of salaries that the players received in recent years. Right now people want piqué, Busquets, Alba and Ter Stegen to leave the team.
That’s great but where does that leave Barcelona if they all leave? That’s essentially the spine of the team. How could these contracts be handed out with total disregard for the financial future of the club? What was the plan?

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
The economic situation depends on age. Older fans care about the economic aspect, and they expect the wage bill to fall quite a bit in the coming years. Young guys don't care about anything.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Kessie and Christiansen
Oh my this story keeps getting better :D

I'm still 99% sure that Barca will find a way (or another 3 levers) to sort this out or La Liga will back down, but nobody can take the entertainment of the last weeks away from me.
And if they can't register all new players, which should absolutely be the case, I will have a lot of Schadenfreude.

::sonny::

Oh my this story keeps getting better :D

I'm still 99% sure that Barca will find a way (or another 3 levers) to sort this out or La Liga will back down, but nobody can take the entertainment of the last weeks away from me.
And if they can't register all new players, which should absolutely be the case, I will have a lot of Schadenfreude.
A Spanish soap opera, many other Spanish clubs are in a similar situation

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
That’s great but where does that leave Barcelona if they all leave? That’s essentially the spine of the team. How could these contracts be handed out with total disregard for the financial future of the club? What was the plan?
It is an irrational thought because of the pain and hatred for how Bartomeu left the club.

When Sandro Rosell took over the club, he imposed economic controls. The club's maximum net debt could not exceed EBITDA by two, at that time it was higher.
The debt was lowered even in the early years of Bartomeu, until he went crazy. Around those years there was a change in accounting for LaLiga and Bartomeu took advantage of that void to skip those financial controls and leave the club shattered.

And if the members had not fired Bartomeu a year before the end of his term, the situation could have been much worse.
He had planned to sell 49% of Barça Corporate (Barça Academy, Barça Innovation Hub, Barça Licensing and Merchandising and Barça Studios) for €200M. When only for 49% of Barça Studios those 200 million have already been obtained.

Teja

They are pulling every dirty move in the book without damaging their ability to attract players.

It's pretty impressive tbh

lex talionis

The economic situation depends on age. Older fans care about the economic aspect, and they expect the wage bill to fall quite a bit in the coming years. Young guys don't care about anything.
Much appreciated. Thanks!

georgipep

They are pulling every dirty move in the book without damaging their ability to attract players.

It's pretty impressive tbh
It's weird, isn't it? I was sure no self-respecting players will go to Sporting after the training ground bust up with fans but it hasn't stopped them one bit, if anything it triggered a new wave of talent after the player exodus.

Barcelona is now another example of an obvious red-flag-filled club which remains as attractive for top talent as always, for some reason (well, their mythological status, the gorgeous city, of course).

lex talionis

Barcelona is a "too big to fail" institution in Spain, so it gets away with pretty much with whatever it wants...laws and regulations be damned.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
According to Gerard Romero, right now Barcelona can register 3+ players of the new signings.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Can someone summaries the levers and how much of the clubs revenue (as percentage of total) they have mortgaged to the third party investors.
As pointed out... "7-8 % of club revenue approximately".

Looks such a small figure? Hardly worth talking about?

And if it was 7-8% of net profits, that might be the case but when it's 7-8% of turnover, then your margins really come into focus. Because now you've got to make 7-8% just to cover what you've given away (in the same way United need to make £x to cover their debt servicing .. like most businesses).

Now given Barca have lost a sh!t ton of money over recent years (which they put down to Covid and writing off losses more quickly so they can make the next set(s) of accounts better), it'll be interesting to see if they can turn it around that much.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
As pointed out... "7-8 % of club revenue approximately".

Looks such a small figure? Hardly worth talking about?

And if it was 7-8% of net profits, that might be the case but when it's 7-8% of turnover, then your margins really come into focus. Because now you've got to make 7-8% just to cover what you've given away (in the same way United need to make £x to cover their debt servicing .. like most businesses).

Now given Barca have lost a sh!t ton of money over recent years (which they put down to Covid and writing off losses more quickly so they can make the next set(s) of accounts better), it'll be interesting to see if they can turn it around that much.
Total revenue will be approximately €800M. The club will stop earn €40M of the television rights and €20M of BarcaStudios

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Ok. No idea what the individual figures are but assuming they're right (sure they are), they've got to 'clear' €60m more than previous to stand still?
Yes, there is no other choice than to lower expenses; wages, amortizacion, non-sports expenses...

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yes, there is no other choice than to lower expenses; wages, amortizacion, non-sports expenses...
And on this point, I think every fan agrees or at least understands.

The issue I think most fans have (or at least one of the main issues) is asking players to forego previously agreed contracts (which may well have influenced their original decision to go to/stay at Barca) while buying so many shiny new toys.

It's like "we made a HUGE feck up, we can tighten our belts, take top 4, work our way back OR gamble and if it goes wrong, potentially make another huge feck up".

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
And on this point, I think every fan agrees or at least understands.

The issue I think most fans have (or at least one of the main issues) is asking players to forego previously agreed contracts (which may well have influenced their original decision to go to/stay at Barca) while buying so many shiny new toys.

It's like "we made a HUGE feck up, we can tighten our belts, take top 4, work our way back OR gamble and if it goes wrong, potentially make another huge feck up".
As Laporta did well the other time he did exactly the same thing, he does it again.
If there weren't this FFP, which after this year is going to be made more flexible, Barcelona wouldn't squeeze the players like now.
He would assume this year with some losses and would recover in the following seasons. In addition to not selling levers.