Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Strelok

One thing I don't get, wasn't Barca supposed to be part owned by fans? Aren't they also culpable? Where were the riots when Coutinho was being sought for that crazy money?
Think about communism mate.

Demas

Supports
Chelsea
I would look to get rid of both Griezmann, Dembele and Messi personally. Messi can not carry them forever and obviously that will go some way to solving their financial issues. Hope that Depay kicks on and build around him, Fati, Pedri, De Jong and Garcia. Accept that they may have a couple of back years but rely on their academy that does still seem to produce gems. Doubt they will do any of that.
That is easier said than done. They probably could get rid of Messi if they wanted, as I'm sure City or PSG can afford his wages. Dembele and Griezmann, on the other hand, will be hard to shift. They are on outrageous wages if the numbers are to be believed, and no club in their right mind would be willing to match that, and it's very unlikely the players will accept pay cuts to move. Interesting times ahead

Reactions: Raoul

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
One thing I don't get, wasn't Barca supposed to be part owned by fans? Aren't they also culpable? Where were the riots when Coutinho was being sought for that crazy money?
I don't know anything about that. If any fans wielded power and clamoured for big signings as the books were going south they're culpable too, but I'm more bothered about the suits who make the major calls and are meant to provide oversight.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Its almost like fans are as falliable as the owners.

VanKenny

The whole Messi's contract debate is pointless, nobody can tell for sure how much money he brings to Barcelona, i dont get why people are arguing about this.

The only fact we know is that Messi wanted out last summer and Barcelona kept him against his will. Why would they do that if Messi supposedly is such a danger to Barcelona's finances and how is Barcelona forcing Messi to stay Messi's fault in anyway whatsoever?

This is the only thing we know for a fact, and some poeple are conveniently choosing to dive into assumptions rather than thinking logically.

manutddjw

No. I'm mad at people absolving Messi of guilt when he negotiated hard for his contracts. Barca didn't pluck figures out of the air to offer him.
I think they do. It's widely reported Griezmann is on 800K per week. Now Griezmann seemingly only wanted Barcelona and I'm sure he was on nowhere near that with Atletico. I understand giving him a little more than he was on with Atletico, but to give him an obscene offer that no other club in the world would give him makes no sense. It almost seems like whoever negotiated that was looking to make a new best friend or something.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
We've discussed the 'Messi brings in so much money for Barcelona' thing in the 'Lionel Messi's Obscene Contract' thread.

Revenues for Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern, and United have been rising at more or less the same pace (33-38m per year) over a 15 year period, with relatively little noise for the first three.

That's a lot of similary and stability for something supposedly dependent on a once-in-a-lifetime unique superstar.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's widely reported Griezmann is on 800K per week. Now Griezmann seemingly only wanted Barcelona and I'm sure he was on nowhere near that with Atletico. I understand giving him a little more than he was on with Atletico, but to give him an obscene offer that no other club in the world would give him makes no sense. It almost seems like whoever negotiated that was looking to make a new best friend or something.
Griezmann was making the same money at Atletico.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Another gullible soul who likely believes in the tooth fairy.

200m quid alone :lol:
My estimate was a little bit off, by probably £50m, admittedly I was rounding up for simplicity.

But here:

"Marc Menchen, the director and creator of 2Playbook, and Ivan Cabeza, an economist and the founding partner of Laudem Partners, have spoken to MARCA about the financial impact of having Messi at Barcelona.

For Menchen, the Blaugrana were making a profit prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, and for Cabeza, he puts the money that Messi brings into the club between 130 and 200 million euros."

Go ahead, you can call people whose job it is to understand financial mechanics dumdumbs.Go for it.

Born2Lose

The whole Messi's contract debate is pointless, nobody can tell for sure how much money he brings to Barcelona, i dont get why people are arguing about this.

The only fact we know is that Messi wanted out last summer and Barcelona kept him against his will. Why would they do that if Messi supposedly is such a danger to Barcelona's finances and how is Barcelona forcing Messi to stay Messi's fault in anyway whatsoever?

This is the only thing we know for a fact, and some poeple are conveniently choosing to dive into assumptions rather than thinking logically.
I think you're wrong here, the only facts so far are that Messi's contract has ended, he's free to leave but hasn't. Quite a turnaround from apparently being desperate to leave last summer

My estimate was a little bit off, by probably £50m, admittedly I was rounding up for simplicity.

But here:

"Marc Menchen, the director and creator of 2Playbook, and Ivan Cabeza, an economist and the founding partner of Laudem Partners, have spoken to MARCA about the financial impact of having Messi at Barcelona.

For Menchen, the Blaugrana were making a profit prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, and for Cabeza, he puts the money that Messi brings into the club between 130 and 200 million euros."

Go ahead, you can call people whose job it is to understand financial mechanics dumdumbs.Go for it.
It's dumb as shit, that curve of Barca, Real and United's finances shows it. No departure or incoming player Ronaldo, Rooney, RVP, Ronaldo for Barca, Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar has effected it either way, or if that have it's nominal.

It's as stupid as saying David Beckham was driving United's finances, no, he was the face of the club so easy to say "he was bringing in x amount", but once he left, someone else took the mantel (Ronaldo/Rooney), that's how football works. The face of the club absolutely "brings in money", but it's the club that is the ultimate money maker. The idea Messi makes that amount for Barca is so fecking idiotic it's untrue. Don't be so ridiculously naive Tom.

Zen86

But here:

Yeah, it’s not like people unconnected to the situation in any way would say nonsense to the media for a bit of publicity.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Estimated by whom? As @Brwned pointed out, most of these analysis are pure guesswork, framed to benefit whomever requested them. The suggestion that Messi generates ~30% of Barcelona's revenue is ridiculous.
They're an assesment of many factors all encompassin Messis sporting contribution to FC Barcelona. No one are saying he's out on the streets of Barcelona selling cake and haircuts.

But here someone already did the legwork, sources included.

VanKenny

But here:

They wont listen to anybody, not even their own common sense.

Messi wanted out and Barca kept him against his will instead of taking whatever sum of money they could have gotten for him and get rid of his wages. Make that Messi's fault.

Barcelona's administration for the last half decade has been terrible. You cant logically explain signings like Coutinho, Griezmann, paying that ridiculous sum of money for Dembele, making Sergi Roberto the top 3 highest paid right back on the world when he isnt even a starter, etc.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
It's dumb as shit, that curve of Barca, Real and United's finances shows it. No departure or incoming player Ronaldo, Rooney, RVP, Ronaldo for Barca, Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar has effected it either way.

It's as stupid as saying David Beckham was driving United's finances, no, he was the face of the club so easy to say "he was bringing in x amount", but once he left, someone else took the mantel (Ronaldo/Rooney), that's how football works. The face of the club absolutely "brings in money", but it's the club that is the ultimate money maker. The idea Messi makes that amount for Barca is so fecking idiotic it's untrue.
I'm going to leave this thread now. You believe what you want.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
yes but the income from sales is reflected here&now, the cost is spread across the contract lenght. So swaping players valued 50 mil each gives you 50 mil as income in current year and cost of 10 mil for the next 5years
Yes sure. It's always been the case

They wont listen to anybody, not even their own common sense.

Messi wanted out and Barca kept him against his will instead of taking whatever sum of money they could have gotten for him and get rid of his wages.
Kept him against his will, or his will was to get the president out so he got exactly what he wanted?

If he wanted out, why's he not out now? He's a free agent.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
If Messi has such a capacity for making money and is also the the best player in the world then every top club should be in front of his house with a truck full of money. It's about as close to 'guaranteed returns' as you could possibly get in football. Yet this does not appear to be happening.

They're an assesment of many factors all encompassin Messis sporting contribution to FC Barcelona. No one are saying he's out on the streets of Barcelona selling cake and haircuts.

But here someone already did the legwork, sources included.

First point, Messi jerseys sell for €37m profit? So what, Messi leaves and they stop selling shirts? Surely you see how fecking stupid this is just after point 1 right?

I think someone commented that Memphis fecking Depay 7 in a United shirt outsold Neymar, make of that what you will. Did United shirt sales drop by 10's of millions when Ronaldo or Becks left? Or is this a Messi only phenomenon? :lol:

VanKenny

I think you're wrong here, the only facts so far are that Messi's contract has ended, he's free to leave but hasn't. Quite a turnaround from apparently being desperate to leave last summer
No. He wanted out last summer, there's a whole interview of Messi explaining in detail everything that happened. Gotta do some fact check.

And yes, his contract is over, but he doesnt have to immediately make a choice. Nobody knows the real situation at Barcelona, at least the specifics of it, so it isnt as simple as saying "im staying", because 1) thats not his job to publicly state every wish and desire he has and 2) it may not even be possible for Barcelona to sign him, even at 0 wages.

We just dont know everything about the situation, only fact we know is that for some reason Barcelona were willing to go to trial against Messi just to keep him on their club.

No. He wanted out last summer, there's a whole interview of Messi explaining in detail everything that happened. Gotta do some fact check.

And yes, his contract is over, but he doesnt have to immediately make a choice. Nobody knows the real situation at Barcelona, at least the specifics of it, so it isnt as simple as saying "im staying", because 1) thats not his job to publicly state every wish and desire he has and 2) it may not even be possible for Barcelona to sign him, even at 0 wages.

We just dont know everything about the situation, only fact we know is that for some reason Barcelona were willing to go to trial against Messi just to keep him on their club.
Gullible as feck, Messi got exactly what he wanted last Summer.

My basic understanding is that the members vote in the presidential election every 4 years - beyond that fans don't have direct input. But happy to be corrected if i'm wrong

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Not in Finance myself, but one of my mates that has done a little Football Transfer financing thinks that some top level wages may end up getting extended past players careers due to Covid.

So Messi could get paid £200k a week for 10 years rather than £400k a week for 5 years. (Example numbers used).

Anecdotal and speculative, But from someone that’s seen deal structures somewhat regularly.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
We don't have to call them dumb. We can just disagree with their analysis.

If you read the article there's not much specific in it. There's practically no numbers. They just assert that Messi is very important and you are supposed to take them at their word. For example, they say: "Between five and 10 percent of tourists who come to Barcelona are mainly interested in going to watch Barcelona play at the Camp Nou, and Messi is largely responsible for this." Messi is largely responsible for this according to... surveys? data? does this pass any muster?

Born2Lose

The guy's been convicted for fiddling taxes, why would you believe anything that comes out of his mouth? If he was kept against his will, he'd be long gone by now. If he signs again for Barca it makes a mockery of your "facts"

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Messi has such a capacity for making money and is also the the best player in the world then every top club should be in front of his house with a truck full of money. It's about as close to 'guaranteed returns' as you could possibly get in football. Yet this does not appear to be happening.
Tbf, he likely does drive quite a bit of revenue for them, but most of that would then be fixed for a number of years as clubs don't renegotiate sponsorship deals every year

And for a club of their size and revenue, the impact from losing Messi should be negligible in the first year, and disappear from the second year onwards as new stars become the face of the club

Unless they were stupid enough to negotiate deals that hinged on Messi playing for them...

For a smaller club though, like an arsenal? Signing Messi would have a massive positive financial impact, yeah. Likely not enough that he would "pay himself", but at least a significant %, yeah. I'm basing this off what happened with Madrid and Juventus with Cristiano

We don't have to call them dumb. We can just disagree with their analysis.

If you read the article there's not much specific in it. There's practically no numbers. They just assert that Messi is very important and you are supposed to take them at their word. For example, they say: "Between five and 10 percent of tourists who come to Barcelona are mainly interested in going to watch Barcelona play at the Camp Nou, and Messi is largely responsible for this." This is just said. There are no numbers or citations, they just say that, and you are supposed to believe it. I could say "I don't believe it" and that's that.
Common sense and Manchester United's own tourist numbers and attendance through the past 20 years tells you all you need to know. Players come and go, some even Ballon d'Or winners, and probably the biggest global football superstar ever (Becks) yet the tourists keep comings and the stadium remains full to the brim, even when we're shite.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
First point, Messi jerseys sell for €37m profit? So what, Messi leaves and they stop selling shirts? Surely you see how fecking stupid this is just after point 1 right?

I think someone commented that Memphis fecking Depay 7 in a United shirt outsold Neymar, make of that what you will. Did United shirt sales drop by 10's of millions when Ronaldo or Becks left? Or is this a Messi only phenomenon? :lol:
It has honestly got to the stage with the ultra pro Messi fans where you have to question if any are over the age of 25. They literally go on like Barca were some sort of tinpot club before Messi.

It has honestly got to the stage with the ultra pro Messi fans where you have to question if any are over the age of 25. They literally go on like Barca were some sort of tinpot club before Messi.
Before Messi it was Ronaldinho, before him Rivaldo/Figo/Ronaldo... we're talking a mega club here. When Messi leaves, Pedri or some other superstar will become the face of the club and the commercial money will continue to roll in, just as it has for United despite Rooney Ronaldo and Fergie himself leaving the club.

VanKenny

Common sense and Manchester United's own tourist numbers and attendance through the past 20 years tells you all you need to know. Players come and go, some even Ballon d'Or winners, and probably the biggest global football superstar ever (Becks) yet the tourists keep comings and the stadium remains full to the brim, even when we're shite.
If your common sense tells you that Beckham in United can be in anyway whatsoever compared to Lionel Messi in Barca, then i kind of get whats going on in here :lol:

Messi is 10x as popular than Beckham ever was. You didnt even have social media back then.

OmarUnited4ever

Woodward is available.
Woodward is a banker, he would dismantle this bloated squad and do anything to cut costs, he wouldn't care about on the pitch success, he would even sell or lease their stadium to make an extra buck.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
If your common sense tells you that Beckham in United can be in anyway whatsoever compared to Lionel Messi in Barca, then i kind of get whats going on in here :lol:
Messi is 10x as popular than Beckham ever was. You didnt even have social media back then.
Fortunately we can compare with Ronaldo, who played at both United and Real Madrid and is extremely popular.

VanKenny

Fortunately we can compare with Ronaldo, who played at both United and Real Madrid and is extremely popular.

CR7 is even more popular than Messi, and easier to make profits from too because of his looks, personality, etc, which are both social media baits. Id like to see a study or some numbers regarding Juventus increase in revenue after his signing.

OmarUnited4ever

I think this is gravely overestimating the importance of Leo Messi's influence on global travel.

Camp Nou averages some 70k+ spectators every year. The club is one of the biggest in the world, they were that before Messi and they will remain so after Messi. According to club estimates, around 10,000 matchgoing fans at Camp Nou every week are tourists.

As I'm sure you're aware, Barcelona is one of the biggest tourist cities in Europe, its a city with a more than 2000 year old history that now includes some of the most spectacular architecture in Europe, seaside locations, sights,food and events all over city. The vast majority of people who visit Barcelona go there for the city. A match at Camp Nou is typically a added event during the visit, not the purpose of the visit. Sure some go to watch a game and travel back the next day, and even fewer go there so see Leo Messi play. Of course he's a pull and the spearhead of a Bacelona team that reached its zenith 5 years ago.

But re: the megastore: The club earns only a very small percentage on the shirt sales. This is a common urban myth. The club sponsors earn the majority of the money on the shirt sales. They are sponsors who'se primary motivation is to recoup their investment, and one of thos methods is indeed shirt sales. Millions of shirt sales that go primarily to the one benefactor: Nike. The clubs themselves mostly recoup 7-15% at the high end. Liverpool actually takes back 20% on their most recent deal.

Think of equipment sponsorships as licensing deals, where the kit sponsors license the right to print and sell club shirts and merchandise. The club gets a small percentage back for the license fee. The sponsor gets the revenue from mechandise sale + global exposure which is set at a fixed value that varies with markets.

Clubs making the money from shirt sales is just not feasible for a simple reason: Manufacturing. They are not manufacturers, they're a football club. Global logistics, customer service, hardware, marketing etc etc, all of that is best handled by the very companies who are international juggernauts to begin with.

Leo Messi is the most important player in the clubs history, but labeling him as a big factor for driving tourism to a city that sees some 15+ million visitors anually, is being a bit generous.
That's 100% accurate.

Zen

I think they do. It's widely reported Griezmann is on 800K per week. Now Griezmann seemingly only wanted Barcelona and I'm sure he was on nowhere near that with Atletico. I understand giving him a little more than he was on with Atletico, but to give him an obscene offer that no other club in the world would give him makes no sense. It almost seems like whoever negotiated that was looking to make a new best friend or something.
Yet the article in the OP suggests substantial less - bordering on half of this. I'm not overly sure why Griezmann would be on 600-800k either.... he's not got anywhere near the marketable stripes the big boys have, although he's still a fairly big name and all.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I've never experienced a more hostile place to visit as a football fan (and tourist). Disgusting club, disgusting fans and piss poor food compared to Madrid. They deserve everything they get. cnuts.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I
Its not BS. Unless their kids are earning 200k a week then the salaries are eaten by the big money signings of which De Jong is one. Just look at the numbers of the total wage bill that are floating around
In my experience, these lists of supposed wages are never reliable. You're right though that the general dimensions can't be far off in light of Barca's staggering wage bill. And what they're paying De Jong is ridiculous whether it's 20m € per year or, I don't know, 17m.