Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Disagree greatly there, dembele has been constantly injury prone and Barca supported him the entire time. Now he wants a beyond absurd salary for what he’s offered on the pitch and dembele has shot himself in the face with these ridiculous demands. Dembele effed up, no club will meet his crazy demands
That's not really the point though. They clearly said they wanted to renew him, that he was a top player and that they wanted him at the center of the project. Well, the player now asks a salary matching these statements. Of course he'll never get 40M/year anywhere but he didn't shoot himself in the face at all, he has total control over this situation and can lower his demandes if he doesn't get an interesting proposal. But Laporta and Xavi did cornered themselves with their statements : you want him at the center of the project, pay him as such. Dembele is an injury prone player who yet has to do something significant at Barcelona, why would you say something like that when you could have just played it cool, work quietly on a renewal without too much noise and without saying that he's a top player when he's obviously not.

That's the downfall of Laporta's "Barcelona is back" PR face. He wants to pretend that they'll be able to build a top team in no time, that they can have very high expectation, that they already have one of the best player in the world in Dembele etc. when any follower knows it's BS. Just manage the clubs finances properly and slowly rebuild instead of speaking nonsense or hugging Messi's shirt.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Thats just for the books though? There’s a clause saying Umtiti can get his full pay next year. You aren’t saving anything, it’s just moving deck chairs around on the titanic.
Just don’t register him. It’s that simple. This creative accounting is what got you in trouble in the first place
No my friend, in order to register Umtiti we need to create “cap space” if you will and going about it this way literally has zero downsides. We can also still be able to loan him out since he’ll on a much lower salary than before. It’s a win-win for Barca and considering the number of L’s this board has been taking in recent years it’s certainly a refreshing one. His new salary is so low it’ll be in bottom 5 of highest paid players for the upcoming years. Gives Barca far more flexibility. Clearly if selling him outright was an option, it would have been done by now

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
That's not really the point though. They clearly said they wanted to renew him, that he was a top player and that they wanted him at the center of the project. Well, the player now asks a salary matching these statements. Of course he'll never get 40M/year anywhere but he didn't shoot himself in the face at all, he has total control over this situation and can lower his demandes if he doesn't get an interesting proposal. But Laporta and Xavi did cornered themselves with their statements : you want him at the center of the project, pay him as such. Dembele is an injury prone player who yet has to do something significant at Barcelona, why would you say something like that when you could have just played it cool, work quietly on a renewal without too much noise and without saying that he's a top player when he's obviously not.

That's the downfall of Laporta's "Barcelona is back" PR face. He wants to pretend that they'll be able to build a top team in no time, that they can have very high expectation, that they already have one of the best player in the world in Dembele etc. when any follower knows it's BS. Just manage the clubs finances properly and slowly rebuild instead of speaking nonsense or hugging Messi's shirt.
Laporta definitely has a big mouth but dembele is nowhere near what he thinks he is worth. He also knows how effed Barca’s financial situation is. Not dembele’s fault but it’s up to him to re-sign for something both sides can agree on or not. Dembele leaving is totally fine as he’s extremely injury prone which is his biggest issue. When he does play, I like what he offers but Barca have supported him time and time again and if dembele feels he can 40 million a year elsewhere then good luck to him because no club in the world will give him something that absurd. This isn’t in Barca, it’s in dembele. If anything I’m glad they’re not just handing out stupid money like they used. The board has definitely got the club in the right track considering the situation from the summer onward.

cyberman

No my friend, in order to register Umtiti we need to create “cap space” if you will and going about it this way literally has zero downsides. We can also still be able to loan him out since he’ll on a much lower salary than before. It’s a win-win for Barca and considering the number of L’s this board has been taking in recent years it’s certainly a refreshing one. His new salary is so low it’ll be in bottom 5 of highest paid players for the upcoming years. Gives Barca far more flexibility. Clearly if selling him outright was an option, it would have been done by now
Yeah but his salary is low on the books only? This apparent clause next year when Umtiti gets his money will be used, there’s no reason why the player shouldn’t.
This type of nonsense usually comes back and bites Barca so I’ll wait and see

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah but his salary is low on the books only? This apparent clause next year when Umtiti gets his money will be used, there’s no reason why the player shouldn’t.
This type of nonsense usually comes back and bites Barca so I’ll wait and see
The Umtiti scenario:

Barcelona will save around €6M due to Umtiti’s renewal. [Gerard Romero]

Umtiti is still open to the idea of leaving on loan. [Santi Ovalle]

Umtiti will earn the same wages he would’ve received until 2023, but in more years now + an option to leave for free next year. 10% reduction. [Sique Rodríguez]

Not seeing anything about the clause (not saying you’re wrong) but let’s see.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Brilliant move with the Umtiti situation as it allows Barca to pay what they would have had to pay him anyway but just spread out over a longer period of time allowing the club to register other players in the meantime. Having a competent board feels so weird
I wanted Victor Font to win in the last election. My opinion of Laporta is very bad, because of things he did in his first stage as president.
But in case something I am calm is for Mateu Alemany. Very experienced person in the world of football and brilliant negotiator, with very clear ideas.
With only 38 years he was president of Mallorca doing a good job and with Valencia as sports director.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Brilliant move with the Umtiti situation as it allows Barca to pay what they would have had to pay him anyway but just spread out over a longer period of time allowing the club to register other players in the meantime. Having a competent board feels so weird
This is satire right?

A ‘brilliant’ move offering a perma crocked player a contract with the same terms just 10% less pay and with an additional 4 years to register a player you spunked £50m on whilst being over £1bn in debt.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
This is satire right?

A ‘brilliant’ move offering a perma crocked player a contract with the same terms just 10% less pay and with an additional 4 years to register a player you spunked £50m on whilst being over £1bn in debt.
It's a short term solution, instead of paying him 16M/year they pay him 5.4M or something, which gives them time to sell/loan him and get rid of the rest of his contract.

Which make me think there's a catch though. Unless Umitit thinks he'll never able to get a contract until the end of his carreer : if they sell him in 2022, he will loose 10M or so compared to what he should have gotten had he kept his current contract because Barcelona won't have to pay his wage anymore after he's gone. You don't offer 10M to a club that doesn't really give you a chance to get back on your feet (i'm not saying he deserves it) like that.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
This is satire right?

not at all, read what is actually happening. Considering the dire situation the club was in last summer the turnaround has been pretty impressive considering the circumstances

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I wanted Victor Font to win in the last election. My opinion of Laporta is very bad, because of things he did in his first stage as president.
But in case something I am calm is for Mateu Alemany. Very experienced person in the world of football and brilliant negotiator, with very clear ideas.
With only 38 years he was president of Mallorca doing a good job and with Valencia as sports director.
I’m not a Laporta fan either but Alemany has been brilliant

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
It's a short term solution, instead of paying him 16M/year they pay him 5.4M or something, which gives them time to sell/loan him and get rid of the rest of his contract.

Which make me think there's a catch though. Unless Umitit thinks he'll never able to get a contract until the end of his carreer : if they sell him in 2022, he will loose 10M or so compared to what he should have gotten had he kept his current contract because Barcelona won't have to pay his wage anymore after he's gone. You don't offer 10M to a club that doesn't really give you a chance to get back on your feet (i'm not saying he deserves it) like that.
Apparently there is a clause that allows Umtiti to go free in 2023
I guess more details will be known in the coming days.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

I don't know the ins and outs of the contract, but what you're saying doesn't look right.

Umtiti will be getting 90% of his contract value but now with an extension until 2026. So, if he was getting £16m per year, up until 2023 (which is when the initial contract ran out), he'll now be getting £14.4m per year until 2026. For a player that will have little to 0 resale value, and who is permanently injured.

No matter how @Daysleeper wants to spin it, it's a really poor financial decision...and to be honest, I'd know considering some of the contracts my club has handed out in the last 4-5 years.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I don't know the ins and outs of the contract, but what you're saying doesn't look right.

Umtiti will be getting 90% of his contract value but now with an extension until 2026. So, if he was getting £16m per year, up until 2023 (which is when the initial contract ran out), he'll now be getting £14.4m per year until 2026. For a player that will have little to 0 resale value, and who is permanently injured.

No matter how @Daysleeper wants to spin it, it's a really poor financial decision...and to be honest, I'd know considering some of the contracts my club has handed out in the last 4-5 years.
No, I think you’re confused.

Umtiti will be earning lower than he was supposed to earn these final 1.5 years of the contract combined. So he'll be earning lower than that over the spread of 4.5 years instead of 1.5 years.

So let's say he was going to earn 22m for 1.5 years (~15m/year). Now he'll maybe be getting 18m for 4.5 years (4m/year).

No matter how you wish to spin it, this is a fantastic move that opens up a lot for Barca. Absolutely zero downsides to this.

AB_89

What would be really interesting to know is what happens to Barca in the next few years, as lots of short term measures have been made in order to get around the issues registering players. The salary reductions negotiated have been a combination of lower wages for extra years and deferrals of certain variables, bonuses etc. This means that at some point Barca are going to need to pay the money the players have deferred and will be paying a number of players that have no value to the footballing team.

Dani Alves is apparently playing for the league minimum 155,000 euros per year, but it would be interesting to know what bonuses were included.

It looks like they are gambling everything on massively increasing their revenues, which hasn't been helped by getting knocked out of the CL and the possibility of not qualifying next year.

We need an rvn

Umtiti will be earning lower than he was supposed to earn these final 1.5 years of the contract combined. So he'll be earning lower than that over the spread of 4.5 years instead of 1.5 years.

So let's say he was going to earn 22m for 1.5 years (~15m/year). Now he'll maybe be getting 18m for 4.5 years (4m/year).

No matter how you wish to spin it, this is a fantastic move that opens up a lot for Barca. Absolutely zero downsides to this.
I think you’re wrong there though and I’d sack my agent if he or she put this in front of me.

Why would a player walk away from (for sake of argument your figures) 22m over 1.5 years and be a free player in 2023 only to agree to a new contract that pays him 4m per year with the clause Barca can cancel his contract in 2023. The player would be 16m out of change if Barca did cancel in 2023 (and they would as he’s been injured and shite)

the clause for 2023 will be if they do get rid in 2023 that they will have to pay him the full 22m.

the only thing Barca have done is free up cap space to register Torres, but umtiti will not be any worse off, can guarantee you that.

no player would agree to drop their annual salary from 15m to 4m

Last edited:

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

No, I still think it's you and your spin.

Most sources online say its an annual wage reduction of 10%. What sources have you seen that says otherwise?

RoyH1

This is satire right?

The club is being run by madmen. Instead of just biting the bullet, accepting a couple of seasons of Europa League wilderness and bring their expenses down naturally, they resort to these kinds of deals and kick the can down the road.
Mes que un meme indeed

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
No, I still think it's you and your spin.

Most sources online say its an annual wage reduction of 10%. What sources have you seen that says otherwise?
“FC Barcelona and first team player Samuel Umtiti have reached an agreement to extend the latter’s contract until 30 June 2026. The French defender is reducing a part of the salary that he was due to receive in the year and a half remaining on his contract.

This contract extension operation does not entail any greater financial commitments for FC Barcelona with regard to the player.

FC Barcelona wishes to publicly express its gratitude to Samuel Umtiti for his willingness and the affection that he has demonstrated towards the club. Through this contract extension, FC Barcelona will be able to increase its ‘financial fair play’ quota and thus register Ferran Torres with the Spanish Professional Football League.”

Extending a player for 3rd years are only a 10% discount would make zero sense. The lowered salary spread out would make him more appealing to other clubs as his current salary was too high. A 10% reduction wouldn’t be enough of a difference. With his bad knees he is guaranteed income for 4 years and he can also be loaned out.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The club is being run by madmen. Instead of just biting the bullet, accepting a couple of seasons of Europa League wilderness and bring their expenses down naturally, they resort to these kinds of deals and kick the can down the road.
Mes que un meme indeed

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
I think you’re wrong there though and I’d sack my agent if he or she put this in front of me.

Why would a player walk away from (for sake of argument your figures) 22m over 1.5 years and be a free player in 2023 only to agree to a new contract that pays him 4m per year with the clause Barca can cancel his contract in 2023. The player would be 16m out of change if Barca did cancel in 2023 (and they would as he’s been injured and shite)

the clause for 2023 will be if they do get rid in 2023 that they will have to pay him the full 22m.

the only thing Barca have done is free up cap space to register Torres, but umtiti will not be any worse off, can guarantee you that.

no player would agree to drop their annual salary from 15m to 4m
From what I have read that's exactly what happened though?

Umtiti has signed a deal until 2026 but won't earn €1 more. Instead, what was owed between now and 2023 will be spread over length of new terms. Barça "publicly express gratitude to Umtiti for his willingness & the affection he has demonstrated towards the club"

His bank account will be 20m richer but instead of getting that money next year he will only be getting it even spread till 2026. Still not sure why he agreed maybe he just wants to stay in Barcelona

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
From what I have read that's exactly what happened though?

Umtiti has signed a deal until 2026 but won't earn €1 more. Instead, what was owed between now and 2023 will be spread over length of new terms. Barça "publicly express gratitude to Umtiti for his willingness & the affection he has demonstrated towards the club"

His bank account will be 20m richer but instead of getting that money next year he will only be getting it even spread till 2026. Still not sure why he agreed maybe he just wants to stay in Barcelona
This exactly, people are acting like this is Barca paying more money in the long run just to pay him less per year. That isn’t the case. This newer board is much better than the older one. It’s a great move and props to Umtiti for accepting it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Still not sure why he agreed maybe he just wants to stay in Barcelona
As long as he is employed by the club he has access to its medial facilities. That might be worth something to him, especially in his situation.

He wouldn't be the first player to sign a contract just for that, for example Marcel Schmelzer has ended his career after injury, but still got kind of a minimum wage contract in Dortmund to be able complete his rehab at the club.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He seems right and that's why I said i'm pretty sure there's a catch.

Let's imagine Umtiti leaves Barcelona in 2023 (not unlikely) :
- under the old contract he would have made 16M + his new contract (even if it's not a big one)
- under the new contract, he will make 5M, so he's pretty much taking a 11M cut for absolutely no reason

He litteraly has not reason to do that, there's obviously a piece of the puzzle we're missing. What i'd assume is that Umtiti would get what's left of his salary until the end of his contract if he leaves, otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

There is zero incentive for the player to agree to this. Hence no one (besides some Barca supporters) believes this version.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Barca: Dembele is better than Mbappe!

Dembele: I want Mbappe wages.

Barca: How dare he!!

:drool:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
There is zero incentive for the player to agree to this. Hence no one (besides some Barca supporters) believes this version.
Right and yet all the tier 1 sources are reporting but yes, the Bayern fan knows best.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Right and yet all the tier 1 sources are reporting but yes, the Bayern fan knows best.
Pleas read what I wrote: I question why the player would agree to this. I don’t pretend to know better

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Pleas read what I wrote: I question why the player would agree to this. I don’t pretend to know better

As long as he is employed by the club he has access to its medial facilities. That might be worth something to him, especially in his situation.

He wouldn't be the first player to sign a contract just for that, for example Marcel Schmelzer has ended his career after injury, but still got kind of a minimum wage contract in Dortmund to be able complete his rehab at the club.

We need an rvn

- under the old contract he would have made 16M + his new contract (even if it's not a big one)
- under the new contract, he will make 5M, so he's pretty much taking a 11M cut for absolutely no reason

He litteraly has not reason to do that, there's obviously a piece of the puzzle we're missing. What i'd assume is that Umtiti would get what's left of his salary until the end of his contract if he leaves, otherwise it doesn't make sense.
That’s exactly what I said though, the catch is he will always get his 22m
Spot on

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Barca: Dembele is better than Mbappe!

Dembele: I want Mbappe wages.

Barca: How dare he!!

:drool:
"lewandoski is the best striker in the world".
is the striker with the highest salary in the world?
he is not... why?

Thats just for the books though? There’s a clause saying Umtiti can get his full pay next year. You aren’t saving anything, it’s just moving deck chairs around on the titanic.
Just don’t register him. It’s that simple. This creative accounting is what got you in trouble in the first place

barça problems are more related to FFP from laliga than the debt itself. the debt is huge, yes. but not the main issue right now.

and it is not that simple. if you dont register him you still have to pay his salary and it will count towards the FFP. so, it doesnt really matter.

the deal is good for both parts, umtiti has incentives to receive the money in 4 years instead of 1. both parts get time.

worst case scenario for barsa is that they pay the same salary in 4 years instead of 1 and umtiti is part of the squad. in the meantime they can get some loans and save some money, they can always decide to fire him and pay the rest, etc. besides, it helps barca with the ffp from laliga.

worst case scenario for umtiti is that he gets the same money but he needs to wait 4 years instead of 1. but... what are the advantages? he knows that he is an exfootballer. he has 0 interest from any professional club. he would be officially retired at 28 because nobody wants him. if he stays at barça he is still part of a top club and can get some loan (even if barça pays his wages) and hopefully fool another club to get another contract that gets him some interesting money while he is still around 30. he has 4 years to do that if he stays at barca. his full salary is guaranteed, but extending his contract gives him the ability to try to fool other team. if umtiti leaves barca in 2023 he will get the money one way or another, he is not taking any cut in the long term.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
the deal is good for both parts, umtiti has incentives to receive the money in 4 years instead of 1. both parts get time.

worst case scenario for barsa is that they pay the same salary in 4 years instead of 1 and umtiti is part of the squad. in the meantime they can get some loans and save some money, they can always decide to fire him and pay the rest, etc. besides, it helps barca with the ffp from laliga.

worst case scenario for umtiti is that he gets the same money but he needs to wait 4 years instead of 1. but... what are the advantages? he knows that he is an exfootballer. he has 0 interest from any professional club. he would be officially retired at 28 because nobody wants him. if he stays at barça he is still part of a top club and can get some loan (even if barça pays his wages) and hopefully fool another club to get another contract that gets him some interesting money while he is still around 30. he has 4 years to do that if he stays at barca. his full salary is guaranteed, but extending his contract gives him the ability to try to fool other team. if umtiti leaves barca in 2023 he will get the money one way or another, he is not taking any cut in the long term.
It doesn't make sense.

If Umtiti wants to retire : why would he wait 4 years when he have left with more money in 1.5 years? I mean, if you want to retire, you want the biggest amount of money in the shortest amount of time so you don't have to practice anymore. If he decides to stop practicing, Barcelona can fire him.

If Umtiti doesn't want to retire and wants to try to find a new club : when he leaves, he stops getting his wage from Barcelona so he'll never get the full 16M when under his whole contract, he would have gotten that by 2023.

For Umtiti and if we listen to the spansih sources, there's litteraly no incentive. I don't buy the "access to medical facilities" bit.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
It doesn't make sense.

If Umtiti wants to retire : why would he wait 4 years when he have left with more money in 1.5 years? I mean, if you want to retire, you want the biggest amount of money in the shortest amount of time so you don't have to practice anymore. If he decides to stop practicing, Barcelona can fire him.

If Umtiti doesn't want to retire and wants to try to find a new club : when he leaves, he stops getting his wage from Barcelona so he'll never get the full 16M when under his whole contract, he would have gotten that by 2023.

For Umtiti and if we listen to the spansih sources, there's litteraly no incentive. I don't buy the "access to medical facilities" bit.
?????

where did i say that he wants to retire?
i said that nobody wants him and he would have to retire at 28. he doesnt want that, he wants extra money and staying at barca some extra time gives him more opportunities to fool another team.
if he leaves (on loan or whatever) he will get the money anyway, from the new club or from a mix of new club and barcelona. it is not that complicated. and he can even makes an extra.

you can buy what you want. all spanish media sources not matter if they are inclined to madrid/barca/other have said the same.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
It doesn't make sense.

I also understood it this way. I kinda understand the benefits to Barsa but not to Umtiti.

Barsa Pros
- His salary gets pais in a longer timeframe.
- His salary milestones are reduced.
- The "reduction" of Umtiti's wages makes it more likely he can be signed by other clubs.
- He may exit after a year for free (doesn't mention if he will be paid the rest of his salary if this happens)

Barsa Cons
- His salary is not reduced.
- Umtiti's football level is awful, it's very unlikely any Club will offer a transfer or enter a free deal for an injury prone player.

I don't get what are the Pros for Umtiti. He has already won the WC with France and has little incentives to make more out of football. Had he honored his contract as it was, he would have gotten richer faster and maybe continuing his career elsewhere with a last good salary.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
?????

where did i say that he wants to retire?
i said that nobody wants him and he would have to retire at 28. he doesnt want that, he wants extra money and staying at barca some extra time gives him more opportunities to fool another team.
if he leaves (on loan or whatever) he will get the money anyway, from the new club or from a mix of new club and barcelona. it is not that complicated. and he can even makes an extra.

you can buy what you want. all spanish media sources not matter if they are inclined to madrid/barca/other have said the same.
I might have misread your post but anyway. it's not "on a loan or whatever", if he is transfered he will not get his Barcelona salary anymore, it's a loose/loose deal for him. Sure it gives him more time, but he had a contract until 2023 so it already gave him 2 summer transfer periods to find a new club, from his perspective it's a terrible deal. As I said, if he gets transferred in 2023, he pretty much looses 11M, which is colossal.

Media sources say what they're told, it's totally possible that the contract contains provisions that weren't disclosed, it happens pretty much all the time. If not, Umtiti should fire his agent right away.

iKnowNothing

I don't get what are the Pros for Umtiti. He has already won the WC with France and has little incentives to make more out of football. Had he honored his contract as it was, he would have gotten richer faster and maybe continuing his career elsewhere with a last good salary.
This is what I don’t get as well. Unless it’s a purely heart over head decision (in which case, fair play). Has any expert opined in this situation yet?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

The human element. Umtiti really really LOVES the city, seemingly loves the club too - he was also among the first to cut his wages when covid hit and left more money on the table than most to help the club - and this way he gets to stay for more years. He also gets access to their doctors and facilities. The contract includes bonuses as well, so if he ever manages to be fit again, he might get to play for them again and get more money. And if he gets another offer he can terminate his contract for free