Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
But but Messi couldn’t sign for 200k a week or even for free they told us :lol:
so Laporta said he had them signed from before and la liga was going to approve it, but Messi was a whole other mess where he legit couldn’t have even played for a euro a week. It was a legal issue.

Ladron de redcafe

Wouldn’t have been a “cut” as he was out of contract.
So obviously if he’d have accepted a “Depay wage” he could have stayed.
He couldn't take less than 50% of what he took in his previous contract. Mundo Deportivo and Sport both reported that. If you had spent a few minutes actually following what you're talking about (or reading about it), you wouldn't be as abjectly wrong as you often are.

Even in a world in which he could take such a paycut, he wouldn't have been able to be registered because his situation is different than that of the free agents already signed.

Again, this is common knowledge to anyone with a basic grasp of what's going on at Barcelona.

Ladron de redcafe

so Laporta said he had them signed from before and la liga was going to approve it, but Messi was a whole other mess where he legit couldn’t have even played for a euro a week. It was a legal issue.
It's funny to see people embarass themsleves with a lack of basic knowledge about the situation, rather than spend a few minutes to actually read about it.

He couldn't take less than 50% of what he took in his previous contract. Mundo Deportivo and Sport both reported that. If you had spent a few minutes actually following what you're talking about (or reading about it), you wouldn't be as abjectly wrong as you often are.

Even in a world in which he could take such a paycut, he wouldn't have been able to be registered because his situation is different than that of the free agents already signed.

Again, this is common knowledge to anyone with a basic grasp of what's going on at Barcelona.
Messi was unemployed, not signing a new contract whilst currently employed. So that is more PR bollocks on the situation that people are once again (as with the Messi generates 30% of revenue bollocks) gullible enough to believe. You can pay an unemployed citizen anything above minimum wage.

No current under contract Barca player can take a pay cut of more than 50%, that contract would be illegal under Spanish employment law.

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

I know basic employment law, Messi was unemployed, not signing a new contract whilst currently employed. So that is more PR bollocks on the situation. You can pay an unemployed citizen anything above minimum wage.

No current under contract Barca player can take a pay cut of more than 50%, that contract would be illegal under Spanish employment law.
Evidently not, and especially not when it comes to contract law in Spain, because you're incorrect here. When it comes to this situation, those who do know are reporting that the law in question (which you didn't seem to know existed until it was pointed out to you) applies to Messi. We can always dismiss anything that corrects us as "PR", but that's not very useful.

Having said that, even this point is futile, because even had Messi been able to play for free, he still wouldn't have been able to be registered.

Last edited:

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
" [sport] Barça will register Memphis and Eric Garcia tomorrow. And both will be available against Real Sociedad on sunday. "
No idea how, but they somehow did it.
I won't believe it until I see them in the pitch...

I know basic employment law, Messi was unemployed, not signing a new contract whilst currently employed. So that is more PR bollocks on the situation. You can pay an unemployed citizen anything above minimum wage.

One thing is what you pay a player, and a different story is how it computes to the salary cap. There are some rules there.
Salary year n-1: 10 --> 10 millions of salary cap used
Saraly year n: 2 --> 5 millions (50% of your previous wage) used. It is told in some places that this rule only applies to the Second Division, I honestly don't know.

Besides, imagine that you had some issues with the salary cap and you need to offload players, you can only use 25% of the transfer fee you receive and the salary you save to enroll new players... so if they pay you 40 million and the player made 10 million, you saved 50 millions but you can only spend 12.5 (25%) in transfer fees + salaries.
If you don't meet the requirements of the salary cap you have penalizations in monetary terms and limitations to enroll new players with the rule above it.
You can only be relegated if you don't pay to the players, etc.

We need an rvn

But but Messi couldn’t sign for 200k a week or even for free they told us :lol:
Barcelona would have to pay him 155k/year minimum (La Liga minimum salary) but I suppose he could have donated that to charity so as to play "for free" legally.
Wouldn’t have been a “cut” as he was out of contract.
So obviously if he’d have accepted a “Depay wage” he could have stayed.
Don't want to come across as being an arse, but sometimes it really does help to read up a little more before posting as what you're saying is incorrect.

Yes, Messi was a free agent after 1st July. But even if he were to sign, he'd have been last in line to register as the other new players had contracts and would have to be registered first and the club were already on that 95% of revenue to wage ratio even without signing those players. So they need to get that down before even being able to register Depay etc first.

Re the whole, play for free, "depay wage" etc - Spanish employment law states that any new contract is required to be a minimum of 50% of previous salary, doesn't matter if you're a free agent or not. I don't know the entire spanish law in detail, but the fact he had a contract with Barca previously, would be doing the same job for the same company etc means they'd be in violation of the law if they offered him anything less than £25m p/y. It's as simple as that. Barca couldn't find a way around the first part above (ie. registering the new players) and getting around his massive £25m that they by law would have to offer him.

It's funny to see people embarass themsleves with a lack of basic knowledge about the situation, rather than spend a few minutes to actually read about it.
exactly!

sourdough satellite

Spanish employment law states that any new contract is required to be a minimum of 50% of previous salary, doesn't matter if you're a free agent or not. I don't know the entire spanish law in detail, but the fact he had a contract with Barca previously, would be doing the same job for the same company etc means they'd be in violation of the law if they offered him anything less than £25m p/y.
Well, I stand corrected then. Cheers.

Monkers

Official: Memphis, Eric Garcia and Rey Manaj have been registered, club confirms. Barcelona also thanks Pique for reducing a significant part of his salary.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Spanish employment law states that any new contract is required to be a minimum of 50% of previous salary, doesn't matter if you're a free agent or not. I don't know the entire spanish law in detail, but the fact he had a contract with Barca previously, would be doing the same job for the same company etc means they'd be in violation of the law if they offered him anything less than £25m p/y. It's as simple as that. Barca couldn't find a way around the first part above (ie. registering the new players) and getting around his massive £25m that they by law would have to offer him.
As it was mentionned before, this assertion was heavily disputed and in fact, Colin Millar who happens to be the one who originally shared this info before it was picked up by a lot of british media, deleted his tweet.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Apparently Pique gave up a ton of money and Busquets and Alba are willing as well. Kudos.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Apparently Pique gave up a ton of money and Busquets and Alba are willing as well. Kudos.
There's something fishy about that. According to the numbers given last week, even Piqué playing for free (impossible) wouldn't have been enough to go below the salary cap that was required to register new players. There's a big piece of the puzzle missing here.

peridigm

There's something fishy about that. According to the numbers given last week, even Piqué playing for free (impossible) wouldn't have been enough to go below the salary cap that was required to register new players. There's a big piece of the puzzle missing here.
Yeah. They’ll be getting a pension for years after they no longer play there.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it turns out Laporta actually wanted to get rid of Messi but wasn't willing to admit it for obvious reasons.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
How much money was Pique making at 36 years old then? Enough to accommodate 3 players if they were to cut it in half? That's hardly believable. Dépay has a terrible contract then. Based on his performances for them so far, he is being underpaid.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s going to be Barca president one day isn’t he?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Aren’t all the “pay cuts” the players have agreed to actually deferred payments? So they’re getting the rest of their 2/3/4 year contracts paid over the next 10/15 years instead. I’m sure I read that a few weeks ago.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Aren’t all the “pay cuts” the players have agreed to actually deferred payments? So they’re getting the rest of their 2/3/4 year contracts paid over the next 10/15 years instead. I’m sure I read that a few weeks ago.
Most probably, it's likely just PR to describe it as a cut...

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
All that stuff about Messi not being able to re-sign was horsehit PR spin then, as predicted.
Clearly.

Laporte and Messi put on a show to con gullible fans that it was La Liga that forced Messi out. You can see on here some people are lapping it all up.

Stacks

I just looked it up to be sure, and technically you are right. But there are not only the dividends, but also the credits the Glazers took to buy the club and then load it onto the club. This is the reason why United is in debt, and the payments for this debt are also part of the "Glazers taking money out of the club" issue.
Definitely. Theoretically it means we could and should have been the biggest spending club in the world (if no debt) but is that what we are about, cheque book United?

Pep's Suit

Didn't some respectable french journos talk about Messi to PSG since December / January? There was even one spanish report that Ramos told Perez about it when he opened talks with PSG and that was in February. Clearly this was happening for months and months. Just the fact that they didn't agree extension during his previous contract so Messi wouldn't count as new signing is telling.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Didn't some respectable french journos talk about Messi to PSG since December / January? There was even one spanish report that Ramos told Perez about it when he opened talks with PSG and that was in February. Clearly this was happening for months and months. Just the fact that they didn't agree extension during his previous contract so Messi wouldn't count as new signing is telling.
The only one i heard saying that at this time was Daniel Riolo and it was a totally wild guess on his end, he's not respectable in any way when it comes to transfer news. During the whole year the only thing we read was "PSG follows the situation of Messi at Barcelona". That was pretty much it.

Zen

Honestly.... this games bent as feck.

Messi couldn't register even if he paid Barca last week according to most, now Pique slashing his already slashed wages knocks them under their budget enough to register 2 big time free agents.

Pique must of been on astronomical money.

roseguy64

Honestly.... this games bent as feck.

Messi couldn't register even if he paid Barca last week according to most, now Pique slashing his already slashed wages knocks them under their budget enough to register 2 big time free agents.

Pique must of been on astronomical money.
Depay and Garcia also signed for less than they could have gotten on the open market. Better negotiation than the previous board

Pep's Suit

Depay and Garcia also signed for less than they could have gotten on the open market. Better negotiation than the previous board
Bartomeu previously agreed something crazy with Garcia. Something like 8-10M a year. Then Laporta slashed that offer by more than half but still I'd expect Depay+Garcia to earn 180-200K euro per week so Pique had to be on 350-450K.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Bartomeu previously agreed something crazy with Garcia. Something like 8-10M a year. Then Laporta slashed that offer by more than half but still I'd expect Depay+Garcia to earn 180-200K euro per week so Pique had to be on 350-450K.
Pique probably on similar money as Griezmann, more like 800k+ a week. So defer 400k and there's space for new signings...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Weren’t they going to give Garcia crazy wages?

What I don’t understand is, that obviously players want to get paid well but Barcelona are a big enough club to say no to astronomical wages. If you price yourself out of a move, that’s more damning to the player than it is to Barcelona.

Barcelona seemingly acted like a club that felt they needed to super entice players to join rather than realising their position in the football world. You don’t get much higher than Barcelona but they’re acting like a club that’s been in the doldrums for years.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Nice to have a football wage still coming in when you're 5-10 years retired.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It doesn't add up. Without Messi, Barca were still 100m euros under. Where did that money come from?