Barcelona to fire Valverde. Quique Setién to take over

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You are having a laugh arent you? Bayern are not ahead of Liverpool and City. The Bayern team that got destroyed by Liverpool in the CL last season?

So we should use 5/6 years because it suits your argument?

I would agree that between 2010 - 2015 La liga teams were on a rise in europe however; for the last 2/3 seasons the prem teams are back.

You might want to check your records again. lets use your timeline. 2015 onwards.
CL
Real Madrid - 3 Finals
Liverpool - 2 Finals
Totenham - 1 Final

EL
Sevilla - 1 final
Athleti - 1 Final
Manutd - 1 Final
Chelsea - 1 Final
Arsenal - 1 Final

That equals to 3 La liga 5 PL clubs.

City literally thrashed Real at the Bernebeau.

Once Messi leaves Barca, there will only be one winner for years.

Hahaha what? Are you kidding? This year's Bayern would smoke Liverpool. City "thrashed" Madrid? City got goals in the last 10 minutes of the game.

And you forgot to include Barca in your 2015 list. Prem teams are far from back, especially this season. They've been getting punked with only City hanging on. Even a "near invincible" Liverpool lost to a 6th placed Atletico team. This is the worst PL batch of teams outside of the Leicester season. There is just ONE EPL team remaining in CL right now with THREE La Liga teams remaining.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Griezmanns best position is outdated in modern football. Its the same as Coutinho. He was exposed as soon as he left a team that made allowances for him.
Im not saying Martial is better but Griezmann is vastly overrated and history wont look too kindly on him.
I honestly think more managers would take Martial for his tactical versatility then Antoine right now. Take away Griezmanns defensive workrate up top and he's half the player.
That's like saying take away Messi's passing, and he's half the player. Griezmann's workrate is a great asset. He's also a lot more consistent than Martial. he's just in the worst fit of his career with Barca.

cyberman

That's a bit of stretch, it's more or less a version of the roles played by Bruno Fernandes at United and Muller at Bayern.
Not really, theyre more of 10s or attacking AM.
Antoine was literally a second striker who made runs off the striker. You dont see Martial or Lewa playing those 2 through.
Not just a second striker but someone who needs a physical player up top to play off of so it linits you even more if trying to get the best out if him.
Giroud has built an international career from being his foil.
Griezmann isnt adaptable enough imo and its being shown up

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not really, theyre more of 10s or attacking AM.
Antoine was literally a second striker who made runs off the striker. You dont see Martial or Lewa playing those 2 through.
Not just a second striker but someone who needs a physical player up top to play off of so it linits you even more if trying to get the best out if him.
Giroud has built an international career from being his foil.
Not really, both Muller and Reus mainly play as second strikers and Griezmann isn't limited to that role either he is perfectly able to play like a traditional 10. You have a reductive idea about what Griezmann is and can do. He also doesn't play as a second striker for France but as a playmaker, in the assymetric system Mbappé is generally the second striker and the highest player on the field.

romufc

Hahaha what? Are you kidding? This year's Bayern would smoke Liverpool. City "thrashed" Madrid? What game were you watching? City got lucky with two goals in the last 5 minutes of the game.

And you forgot to include Barca in your 2015 list. Prem teams are far from back, especially this season. They've been getting punked with only City hanging on. Even a "nea invincible" Liverpool lost to a 6th placed Atletico team. This is the worst PL batch of teams outside of the Leicester season. There is just ONE EPL team remaining in CL right now with THREE La Liga teams remaining.
Smoke Liverpool? this is the same Liverpool team that dismantled Bayern in Germany.

No that was 14/15 season not 15 onwards. We will see how crappy city do against La liga winners Real in the CL then in the second leg.

Is the CL finished? Other than Barca and Real, La Liga teams aren't all that. Wolves hammered your EL team Espanyol who are bottom.

cyberman

Not really, both Muller and Reus mainly play as second strikers and Griezmann isn't limited to that role either he is perfectly able to play like a traditional 10. You have a reductive idea about what Griezmann is and can do. He also doesn't play as a second striker for France but as a playmaker, in the assymetric system Mbappé is generally the second striker and the highest player on the field.
I have seen what he can do. In his transfer thread i constantly brought up his short comings in the face of these amazing fantasy lineups. His form isnt a shock because of those short comings.
If he hasnt got a physical presence up top then he finds it hard to shake defenders and find space. Its why he struggled so badly in his last season at Atleti until Costa came in.
He loses Costa and its just a continuation of his bad form. Its been 3 good months of form in 2 seasons and those good months came from Costa muscling everybody away for him which Simeone basically admitted to.
I completley disagree with your appraisal of his French performances. He plays off of Giroud more than any other player. He is essentially the second striker when Mbappe floats right. When Giroud evetually leaves you will see Griezmann suffer for it.
Antoinee plays too close to the striker and the box for him not to be a SS. If he isnt a SS then the position doesnt exist.

Last edited:

Skeezix

Yeah you beat us twice in the league and neither were comfortable. Your logic is crazy. Wolves beat us twice in the league too, would they comfortably dispatch barca?

Barca are a legit cl chasing team competing for titles. You guys are chasing Leicester for the Arsene Wenger trophy.
No it was a comfortable win for us against you guys especially in the EPL, We lost against city in League cup once during our worst form, even then we won the return leg, albeit very uncomfortable match - it was pre bruno, no pogba, martial injured too.

- We lost against Pool and drew once ( in the EPL)

- We dispatched Chelsea three times already this season (2 in EPL, 1 in league cup)

- A win and a draw against Tottenham post Covid Lockdown (which we were very disatisfied with as we thought we could surely win, higher standards now)

- Won against Leicester, 1 EPL game remaining.

- Double draw against wolves (in the EPL); Draw and win (in FA Cup)

I bet our form against the top 4, or top 6 will be among the best in EPL this season. Definitely better than yours?

Now, I am not writing all this to spite you, but we all watch our own teams with biases. But Man Utd's biggest problem under Ole this season (and LVG prior) was breaking down deep lying defensive teams.

We drew and lost many crucial points against bottom half teams which are easy 3 points for Man city and Liverpool.
Man Utd fans are deservedly happy with the wins against Sheffield, Norwich ( difficult win because of 8 changes from our best 11 and we started the game too slow) and now Brighton (performance on par with the Sheffield game.

In fact, I was more confident of facing Man City, Chelsea and Tottenham than playing away against Wolves, Sheffield, Brighton.

For us, our Achilles heel is the bottom half teams and not the top half teams. Which we are now solving due to Bruno, Pogba and the right wing side attack now functioning (due to AWB and Greenwood)

We now look like a proper team provided the best/first 11 is fit and playing)

Now that doesn't mean we will automatically be winning and be good against the other top European teams like Barcelona. But you must understand why United fans are now cocky and confident to face other top European teams. We want to see are best 11 play against the best European teams.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I like how we start doing well and our first response is to start beef with the Barca fans.

Skeezix

It will be very interesting to see how the Post Messi, Suarez, Busquets, Pique era will pan out.

Griezman, Dembele, De Jong could all be great players under a new manager/coach.

Do Barca fans want Xavi as their new manager? there was lots of rumours that he was close to return as the manager/coach when they sacked Valverde.

Did he really back out because of the beef with the current President?

KennyBurner

I have seen what he can do. In his transfer thread i constantly brought up his short comings in the face of these amazing fantasy lineups. His form isnt a shock because of those short comings.
If he hasnt got a physical presence up top then he finds it hard to shake defenders and find space. Its why he struggled so badly in his last season at Atleti until Costa came in.
He loses Costa and its just a continuation of his bad form. Its been 3 good months of form in 2 seasons and those good months came from Costa muscling everybody away for him which Simeone basically admitted to.
I completley disagree with your appraisal of his French performances. He plays off of Giroud more than any other player. He is essentially the second striker when Mbappe floats right. When Giroud evetually leaves you will see Griezmann suffer for it.
Most accurate description of him. He has bought his own hype these past few years. All those years of him teasing us. I’m so glad we never got him. That would have been another sanchez in the making.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Jesus... What are all other clubs if Barcelona is ordinary?

Also see posters in here claiming Martial over Griezman. I find that very strange. Dont get me wrong, Martial is a good player with huge potential, but Griezman is currently a level or two higher..
Can't give a crap about Martial/Griezmann debate.

Just try to watch their games. Everything goes through Messi and anybody other than him seems incapable of doing feck all. It has been the case for a along time now.

They are like just another 'top' club WITHOUT Messi. Nothing special.

ayushreddevil9

I don't understand the notion peddled by some on here that we can't raise fingers on Barcelona until Utd gets back on top. Shambles of transfer strategy and they don't seem like they are learning. They will still manage to win trophies here and there given their current stock in quality and competition but given the number of players they have on the wrong side of 30 with many of them having no resale value, it will be a monumental task to refresh the squad. Can they trust this board?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I like how we start doing well and our first response is to start beef with the Barca fans.
Just like the time I took on Fury after I won two quid on a scratch card.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Smoke Liverpool? this is the same Liverpool team that dismantled Bayern in Germany.

No that was 14/15 season not 15 onwards. We will see how crappy city do against La liga winners Real in the CL then in the second leg.

Is the CL finished? Other than Barca and Real, La Liga teams aren't all that. Wolves hammered your EL team Espanyol who are bottom.
Haha yes let’s compare beating the 20th placed la liga team as something to be proud of. Meanwhile Sevilla was also crushing it by winning EL in the last 5 years as well. La liga has always had the stronger teams than the PL from 2015 to today as a whole. This years Barca and Madrid are dire but the PL after the top isn’t much better at all. Atletico would finish third in the PL as well.

This year’s Bayern is MUCH better than last year’s squad. Much better.

This year’s Liverpool was already losing steam in the second half of the season. But a shambolic year for the PL had them walking the league.

PL is very poor right now, probably the most lopsided era of the PL we’ve had in a long time.

romufc

Haha yes let’s compare beating the 20th placed la liga team as something to be proud of. Meanwhile Sevilla was also crushing it by winning EL in the last 5 years as well. La liga has always had the stronger teams than the PL from 2015 to today as a whole. This years Barca and Madrid are dire but the PL after the top isn’t much better at all. Atletico would finish third in the PL as well.

This year’s Bayern is MUCH better than last year’s squad. Much better.

This year’s Liverpool was already losing steam in the second half of the season. But a shambolic year for the PL had them walking the league.

PL is very poor right now, probably the most lopsided era of the PL we’ve had in a long time.
I won't disagree that the last 2 seaons the PL has been poor. However; the top 2 of the PL remain highly competitive in many competitions.

I would think that next season the PL will bounce back. I do not think Athelti have enough goals to be able to finish in the top 4 of the PL.

The PL has been so bad yet the winners of the last 4 CL have been Real and Liverpool.

Barca could have had a very good team, but they keep making the wrong managerial appointments and transfers. How often in the last 4 seasons have Barca got outdone in the CL?

I really do fear for Barca without messi.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I won't disagree that the last 2 seaons the PL has been poor. However; the top 2 of the PL remain highly competitive in many competitions.

I would think that next season the PL will bounce back. I do not think Athelti have enough goals to be able to finish in the top 4 of the PL.

The PL has been so bad yet the winners of the last 4 CL have been Real and Liverpool.

Barca could have had a very good team, but they keep making the wrong managerial appointments and transfers. How often in the last 4 seasons have Barca got outdone in the CL?

I really do fear for Barca without messi.
Every team that defeated Barca went to the finals nearly every single time in CL.

Atletico would be like west brom on steroids.

I hope city can hang on to beat Madrid but their form is looking a lot better than city’s right now.

Post Messi Barca will get ugly for sure. I will feel better once the new board comes in may 2021.

I do think with you lot and Chelsea on the rise along with City splashing for another proper CB the PL should be better next season.

romufc

Every team that defeated Barca went to the finals nearly every single time in CL.

Atletico would be like west brom on steroids.

I hope city can hang on to beat Madrid but their form is looking a lot better than city’s right now.

Post Messi Barca will get ugly for sure. I will feel better once the new board comes in may 2021.

I do think with you lot and Chelsea on the rise along with City splashing for another proper CB the PL should be better next season.

I agree that every team Barca lose to get to final.

This is why I think spending money on older players is not good for the future. Last season, it looked like they were going to look to the future signing De Jong who I think is a fantastic footballer and De Light but that didnt happen.

Selling Arthur for Pjanic makes no sense considering he is similar to Rakitic. Griezman made no sense.

Barcelona haven't been able to use the advantage they have now for a better future.

I would be looking to sign the best young LB, CB, LW, ST and they would go to Barca just to play with Messi.

Shark

@NotShark
PL is the least competitive it has been in decades. And I agree things come in cycles and we are due for a bad one. No argument there. Just odd that you’re touting this current united side as the future or something. The epl has fared very poorly in ucl this season. What was at the time the 6th best team in la liga beat the supposed top 3 all time epl team. Chelsea got annihilated by Bayern and humiliated.
Which is why I said in the coming years and excuse me for being positive about my clubs future, on a United forum. As I said I'm looking very much forward to seeing how we'd fare now in the CL against the likes yourselves if we do make it.

el3mel

Griezmanns best position is outdated in modern football. Its the same as Coutinho. He was exposed as soon as he left a team that made allowances for him.
Im not saying Martial is better but Griezmann is vastly overrated and history wont look too kindly on him.
I honestly think more managers would take Martial for his tactical versatility then Antoine right now. Take away Griezmanns defensive workrate up top and he's half the player.
I'm really, really starting to hate this "overrated" word. It's used left, right and center for any player who doesn't do well at the moment. "He's poor, that means he has always been an overrated player". Really don't get this logic.

cyberman

I'm really, really starting to hate this "overrated" word. It's used left, right and center for any player who doesn't do well at the moment. "He's poor, that means he has always been an overrated player". Really don't get this logic.
He was in the top 3 in the Balon Dor list and isnt worth 100m imo. For me, he can't be any more overrated than that.
He has been poor for a while now. Its gone past a run of form.

el3mel

He was in the top 3 in the Balon Dor list and isnt worth 100m imo. For me, he can't be any more overrated than that.
He has been poor for a while now. Its gone past a run of form.
He was a top player before joining Barca. Just because he's poor for them now doesn't mean he wasn't that great of a player before that.

cyberman

He was a top player before joining Barca. Just because he's poor for them now doesn't mean he wasn't that great of a player before that.
Thats the thing, he wasnt. He was poor for a long tine with fans claiming his head was turned etc. This is a continuation of his form, if anything.

el3mel

Thats the thing, he wasnt. He was poor for a long tine with fans claiming his head was turned etc. This is a continuation of his form, if anything.
He was still regularly scoring 20-29 goals a season for them so if he was poor with these number it still means he was a top player.

Last season for them he scored 21 goals. The previous 2 seasons he scored 29 and 26. These are great numbers especially how defensively minded Atletico are.

When he was in Balon D' Or and was worth 100m he was putting performances and numbers worth of these.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would Barcelona be interested in the River Plate manager?

padr81

Supports
Man City
No it was a comfortable win for us against you guys especially in the EPL, We lost against city in League cup once during our worst form, even then we won the return leg, albeit very uncomfortable match - it was pre bruno, no pogba, martial injured too.

- We lost against Pool and drew once ( in the EPL)

- We dispatched Chelsea three times already this season (2 in EPL, 1 in league cup)

- A win and a draw against Tottenham post Covid Lockdown (which we were very disatisfied with as we thought we could surely win, higher standards now)

- Won against Leicester, 1 EPL game remaining.

- Double draw against wolves (in the EPL); Draw and win (in FA Cup)

I bet our form against the top 4, or top 6 will be among the best in EPL this season. Definitely better than yours?

Now, I am not writing all this to spite you, but we all watch our own teams with biases. But Man Utd's biggest problem under Ole this season (and LVG prior) was breaking down deep lying defensive teams.

We drew and lost many crucial points against bottom half teams which are easy 3 points for Man city and Liverpool.
Man Utd fans are deservedly happy with the wins against Sheffield, Norwich ( difficult win because of 8 changes from our best 11 and we started the game too slow) and now Brighton (performance on par with the Sheffield game.

In fact, I was more confident of facing Man City, Chelsea and Tottenham than playing away against Wolves, Sheffield, Brighton.

For us, our Achilles heel is the bottom half teams and not the top half teams. Which we are now solving due to Bruno, Pogba and the right wing side attack now functioning (due to AWB and Greenwood)

We now look like a proper team provided the best/first 11 is fit and playing)

Now that doesn't mean we will automatically be winning and be good against the other top European teams like Barcelona. But you must understand why United fans are now cocky and confident to face other top European teams. We want to see are best 11 play against the best European teams.
Comfortable, lets analyze...according to Sky Sports Stats.
Old Trafford - United 2-0 City. / Shots - United 12 -7 City / Shots on Target - United 6-4 City. / Clear Cut Chances - United 0-1 City.
Etihad - City 1-2 United / Shots - City 22 v 11 United / Shots on Target - City 5 v 7 United. / Clear Cut Chances - City 2-0 United.

You've got a strange definition of a comfortable win my friend. You were though the better team in both league games and deserved winners for sure. Comfortable no way.

4 points vs Spurs or 6 vs City, doesn'tmake you able to comfortably beat Barcelona like they are a midtable prem team...and thats my point. No one comfortably beats Barcelona even in the state they are now. Not United or none of the 4 teams above them in the PL (maybe Liverpool?).

The bold part is the truth and all I said to the OP. If you guys are cocky to face Barcelona in your current predicament then you can't complain when people dismiss United fans as arrogant. I have no issue with you wanting to play top teams or believing you can beat them (because you can) but to dismiss them as a comfortable win when a team like Liverpool who have scored 40 points more than you in 2 seasons in the league need a miracle night to overturn them its very dismissive.

You have every reason to be confident but to be cocky really? Regardless of who you beat you are 5th and I haven't seen you comfortably beat any top 6 team this season. Deservedly win? Absolutely. Comfortably get through a one sided game? Not once and stats back that up.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The game at OT was extremely comfortable tbf
12 shots to 7, 6 or target to 4 with City creating the only clear cut chance in the match. Deserved winners, absolutely, You were 1-0 up in a pretty evenish game after 95 minutes though where you defended well.
The first 30 minutes at the Etihad I thought was your best football against us where you could have been 3 or possibly 4 up after half an hour but then got pinned back in the 2nd half and held on when we had something like 18 shots.

AR87

12 shots to 7, 6 or target to 4 with City creating the only clear cut chance in the match. Deserved winners, absolutely, You were 1-0 up in a pretty evenish game after 95 minutes though where you defended well.
It was City's lowest xG output City have ever had under Pep. If James and Martial are a little unselfish that scoreline is even more lopsided. Also should have had a clear pen in the first half after Martial's goal. It was a thoroughly dominant defensive performance. DDG barely had anything to do. Easily the best, most controlled 90 minutes we've had against City in years, and certainly since Pep came in.

The first 30 minutes at the Etihad I thought was your best football against us where you could have been 3 or possibly 4 up after half an hour but then got pinned back in the 2nd half and held on when we had something like 18 shots.
Agree with all of this.

Andersonson

Can't give a crap about Martial/Griezmann debate.

Just try to watch their games. Everything goes through Messi and anybody other than him seems incapable of doing feck all. It has been the case for a along time now.

They are like just another 'top' club WITHOUT Messi. Nothing special.
Top club isnt special? What on earth are you even talking about? Even when Messi is gone, Barcelona will still be one of the biggest clubs. Just like Real after Ronaldo left. They have one of the biggest fanbases in the world. If that isnt special I dont know what is.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I don't understand the notion peddled by some on here that we can't raise fingers on Barcelona until Utd gets back on top. Shambles of transfer strategy and they don't seem like they are learning. They will still manage to win trophies here and there given their current stock in quality and competition but given the number of players they have on the wrong side of 30 with many of them having no resale value, it will be a monumental task to refresh the squad. Can they trust this board?
They're turning into Milan circa 2008/2010....

But I mean, we all thought Millan couldnt never fall from the top didnt we?

ayushreddevil9

Top club isnt special? What on earth are you even talking about? Even when Messi is gone, Barcelona will still be one of the biggest clubs. Just like Real after Ronaldo left. They have one of the biggest fanbases in the world. If that isnt special I dont know what is.
You know AC Milan was also a top club at some point. Do you still consider them special? The Barcelona people fell in love with is long gone. Messi carried them over the years but now they are slowly losing their X factor.

The aura is still there. The pull will always be there. They will be among the biggest clubs on the planet but they have lost some of their identity (which i am sure Xavi could bring back)

What do you see in that squad that makes them so special? Just because they are called Barcelona? Are you even watching their games? Take Messi out and they look toothless. They severely lack creativity which to some extent I can attribute to the manager but the problem still exists.

But according to you we should just sit back and appreciate them because they are Barcelona.

Last edited:

Skeezix

Comfortable, lets analyze...according to Sky Sports Stats.
Old Trafford - United 2-0 City. / Shots - United 12 -7 City / Shots on Target - United 6-4 City. / Clear Cut Chances - United 0-1 City.
Etihad - City 1-2 United / Shots - City 22 v 11 United / Shots on Target - City 5 v 7 United. / Clear Cut Chances - City 2-0 United.

You've got a strange definition of a comfortable win my friend. You were though the better team in both league games and deserved winners for sure.
Stats tell half the story. Maybe our perspective and definitions of Wins are different, but for me

Terrific win - Our recent wins against Sheffield and Brighton, complete domination

Comfortable win - Our wins against Many of the top 6 this season. We score a goal or 2 first. The other team might score a consolation but we never seem like losing

Nervy win - Having to win parking the bus for last 10 mins. (almost every game under LVG and Mourinho)

Lucky win - we all know what it is.

Maybe I should have said better team in the game with a deserved win. That for me means a comfortable win (trying to be concise) and could be a very subjective definition I'll admit.

4 points vs Spurs or 6 vs City, doesn't make you able to comfortably beat Barcelona like they are a midtable prem team...and thats my point. No one comfortably beats Barcelona even in the state they are now. Not United or none of the 4 teams above them in the PL (maybe Liverpool?).
I agree with you there, and have mentioned that in my post too. And even if there are comment's indicating that, those are in the minority and specifically post in this thread (while Barcelona is in their yearly/seasonal Drama/Controversies period)

The bold part is the truth and all I said to the OP. If you guys are cocky to face Barcelona in your current predicament then you can't complain when people dismiss United fans as arrogant.
All fans are cocky. United fans are not alone in this. Go check any fans forum - even the Foxes forum - all fans are cocky when their form is good. Don't blame me or any United. Everyone is guilty in this.
Arrogant is when you are cocky without having nothing to show for.

Current Predicament? - Believe me, I've started posting in the Caf after lurking(without postin) for 7 whole years because I am excited and see this team going places. Something good is brewing here. It might go bust again. But I wouldn't mind putting money on United challenging for the title within the next 3 years, provided we make 2,3 quality signings to provide squad depth.

You keep mentioning Places/Positions in the table to downplay United's win against the top 4/6.
But bear in mind Liverpool were 8th in 2015-16
The were struggling and fighting for top 4 for the next 2 years and were 4th for 2 consecutive years by the skin of their teeth.
2018-19 they were competing with you for the title and luckily even unlucky not to win it.
This season, they blazed past everyone including you.

My point being, as the Pool story tells, they were good in certain aspects of their game (attack/pressing) even while they were 8th, 4th places. But they leaked goals left and right - Lovren, Moreno, Mignolet, Karius

They fixed those and signed quality players in VVD, Alisson, Salah and promoted Arnold from the Academy.

And instantly the next 2 seasons they were challenging in different fronts.

As a Man Utd fan, I am trying to be cautious and conservation in my hopes.
And as a rival, it is easy to dismiss United again this season.

But ole is fixing these obvious issues in the United squad. That is why I am hopeful (and so should Chelsea fans be even though they lost to West Ham tonight)

And I would be very worried if they are Barcelona fans. That La Masia class of 2002 now phasing out. Once Messi (their Fergie), Pique and Busquets retire, they are truly fecked. Their recent signings could still turn out good but they are atrocious so far, too many players moving in and out.
Their Post-Messi period will set in within the next 2 years unless they are lucky with their next transfers or manage to promote a core group of players.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They're turning into Milan circa 2008/2010....

But I mean, we all thought Millan couldnt never fall from the top didnt we?
Wrong comparison

Milan was funded by Berlusconi, they lived above their means for 25 years and the reason for their fall was Berlusconi stopped pumping money into the club, so suddenly they went from being able to afford Zlatan and Thiago Silva to having to sell them and replace with average players

Barcelonana's money comes from TV, sponsorships and merchandising, those aren't going to go away

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Wrong comparison

Milan was funded by Berlusconi, they lived above their means for 25 years and the reason for their fall was Berlusconi stopped pumping money into the club, so suddenly they went from being able to afford Zlatan and Thiago Silva to having to sell them and replace with average players

Barcelonana's money comes from TV, sponsorships and merchandising, those aren't going to go away
Agreed.

Barcelona is terribly run at the moment. However, the power and endurance of Barcelona is shown by the fact that the club has been run awfully for half a decade and is still highly competitive.

This is something Barcelona seems to go through every so often. At the start of this current century Barcelona also had a poor administration, which saddled it with debt and big signings that didn't perform. Then Laporta came in, brought in Ronaldinho etc and everything changed.

I suspect, after the next set of club elections, Barcelona will get a new exec team that will clean up the mess and put the club back on track. As long as they have Messi in the meantime they will never be far from winning the highest honours in football.

Barcelona is not going to go the way of Milan, Barcelona isn't even going to suffer what we've suffered since Sir Alex retired. Barcelona might have two, maybe three seasons, where Real Madrid are having the best of it. However, I would be shocked if Barcelona were stopped competing for the league and the Champions League any time soon.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agreed.

Barcelona is terribly run at the moment. However, the power and endurance of Barcelona is shown by the fact that the club has been run awfully for half a decade and is still highly competitive.

This is something Barcelona seems to go through every so often. At the start of this current century Barcelona also had a poor administration, which saddled it with debt and big signings that didn't perform. Then Laporta came in, brought in Ronaldinho etc and everything changed.

I suspect, after the next set of club elections, Barcelona will get a new exec team that will clean up the mess and put the club back on track. As long as they have Messi in the meantime they will never be far from winning the highest honours in football.

Barcelona is not going to go the way of Milan, Barcelona isn't even going to suffer what we've suffered since Sir Alex retired. Barcelona might have two, maybe three seasons, where Real Madrid are having the best of it. However, I would be shocked if Barcelona were stopped competing for the league and the Champions League any time soon.
It's actually a full decade, Sandro "The crook" Rosell was president before Bartomeu.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's actually a full decade, Sandro "The crook" Rosell was president before Bartomeu.
That's a good point. I had almost forgotten the shenanigans that got Rosell fired. The fact Bartomeu has managed to do a worse job than Rosell is quite astonishing.

The sad thing is, when Barcelona sold Neymar a competent executive team would have seen it as an opportunity to properly refresh the squad and fund a well thought out rebuild. As much as it makes me vomit in my own mouth, just compare what Barcelona did to what Liverpool did with the money they got from Barcelona for Coutinho.

With a better executive team Barcelona could've used the money for Neymar to make itself untouchable again. Instead, its just been error after error. Honestly, I am surprised the Barcelona members have not called for a vote of no confidence in the Bartomeu administration. No amount of promising big name signings should save it from being brought to an end ASAP.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
It will be very interesting to see how the Post Messi, Suarez, Busquets, Pique era will pan out.

Griezman, Dembele, De Jong could all be great players under a new manager/coach.

Do Barca fans want Xavi as their new manager? there was lots of rumours that he was close to return as the manager/coach when they sacked Valverde.

Did he really back out because of the beef with the current President?
The big thing Xavi will have to deal with is phasing out and then moving on some players he played with. Xavi knows how Barca should play and I believe he can get Barcelona playing like Barcelona again. Going from managing in Qatar straight to managing the Barcelona first team isn't ideal but that's what's going to happen if Victor Font wins the election next year.