"Bargain buys"

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Ok, looks like most people don't think we need a RB with Gaz, Brown, and Phil as depth. Same in CD with Rio returning and partnering Silvestre. In depth, there is O'Shea, Brown, Gaz, and Keane with two bright youth players on the verge (McShane and Spector). The present and future looks solid there, although it's tough to watch Mexes go somewhere else and become a top CD. At LB, there is O'Shea and Fortune, as well as Phil and even Pugh. Pugh will not make the grade at OT, but then again, he could surprise everyone while Fortune is out. Fortune is still a midfielder masquerading as a left back. He's decent cover. O'Shea is more of a CD than a LB.

So, here are two LBs that would fit in nicely at OT, maybe even become a starter and force O'Shea to CD (his natural position).

J'Lloyd Samuel, Villa, 25 (in May) - would Villa sell him?
Christoph Metzelder, Dortmund, 23 - versatile player like O'Shea

Someone else mentioned Steven Reid, Blackburn, 23. Any info on this kid?

Gazza

red_acid said:
What if Trabelsi is good enough to force out Gary(bench)...is that really bad??
He is not that much better though, if at all. OK he has done well in the Eredivisie and Juventus want him, but we would not be able to match their wages. Why pay 100k a week for a player who is not that much better than what we have? Gary is a red and the best rightback in the Premiership. We have a settled back four, just need some proper depth. Gary is after Keane our leader and we would be foolish to lose him - he'll be straining at the leash to put this season right.

EricVanCoppell

MrMarcello said:
Ok, looks like most people don't think we need a RB with Gaz, Brown, and Phil as depth. Same in CD with Rio returning and partnering Silvestre. In depth, there is O'Shea, Brown, Gaz, and Keane with two bright youth players on the verge (McShane and Spector). The present and future looks solid there, although it's tough to watch Mexes go somewhere else and become a top CD. At LB, there is O'Shea and Fortune, as well as Phil and even Pugh. Pugh will not make the grade at OT, but then again, he could surprise everyone while Fortune is out. Fortune is still a midfielder masquerading as a left back. He's decent cover. O'Shea is more of a CD than a LB.

So, here are two LBs that would fit in nicely at OT, maybe even become a starter and force O'Shea to CD (his natural position).

Stephen Reid I have seen a couple of times trhis season playing I recall on the wing, and pretty average he looked - not MUQ.

Try Stephen Carr of Totenham - not sure how old he is but he is good AND has the bonus of looking a bit like Keano!

MrMarcello

red_acid said:
What if Trabelsi is good enough to force out Gary(bench)...is that really bad??
According to most posters, competition is good for the club and players. Keeps complacency from setting in. Also, Keane mentioned the same thing in his book. Alex M has posted some of these exerts in the United thread.

Gazza

MrMarcello said:

Reid is a RW who is midtable quality. Samuel is good but no way better than O'Shea. Metzelder is quality but not necessary.

Forget our bad luck and naiveness this season - Howard-GNeville-Ferdinand-Silvestre-O'Shea will be a great defence for years to come, and all we need is, as I said, a versatille, no frills full back similar to Denis Irwin.

red_acid

Gazza said:
He is not that much better though, if at all. OK he has done well in the Eredivisie and Juventus want him, but we would not be able to match their wages. Why pay 100k a week for a player who is not that much better than what we have? Gary is a red and the best rightback in the Premiership. We have a settled back four, just need some proper depth. Gary is after Keane our leader and we would be foolish to lose him - he'll be straining at the leash to put this season right.
I partly agree,Gary would give his all to the club..no doubts.He is a good
defender.

But we do need competition for places,in the right back spot and maybe at left back...Gary should stay,but he must be given real fight too...

Gumpy

Gazza said:
Are you sure Juventus would pay him that much ?

Gazza

red_acid said:
I partly agree,Gary would give his all to the club..no doubts.He is a good
defender.

But we do need competition for places,in the right back spot and maybe at left back...Gary should stay,but he must be given real fight too...
true, fair play to you for arguing your point. My beef was not really with Trabelsi more of threads like this and this which are just silly.

Gazza

MrMarcello said:
Isn't this exactly what Metzelder is supposed to be, although more versatile than Irwin?

What LBs can you trump up?
It sickens me that one of the best choices is a scouser and ergo not available to us, Jamie Carragher.

Not many if I am honest.

Gazza

Actually a player currently in midfield who is very versatile is Gareth Barry. Not saying we should sign him, just another name thrown into the hat.

Gumpy

I am not convinced he has what it takes but there is also Gareth Barry (sorry you posted just before I did).

I know CM is a different world but there is a guy at Nantes called Sylvain Armand who can play at both fullback positions. Does anyone know if he is any good.

There is also a guy called Anthony Reveillere (I think I have that right) at Rennes.

Seriously if we are looking for a LB why not sign Mexes and shift Silvestre. Or another option is Trabelsi - let me explain:

Gary, Rio, Micky, LB has been a steady performer early in the season. Why not shift Gary, Rio and Micky 1 step to the left and add Trabelsi on the right. The 3 defenders are still in the same relative positions. I know I am talking crap but maybe the creativity needs to be in the thinking not on the park :eek:

MrMarcello

Gazza said:
Actually a player currently in midfield who is very versatile is Gareth Barry. Not saying we should sign him, just another name thrown into the hat.
That kid has an engine that never stops. Could develop into a very class player (premiership class at best).

I also think a player like Johnny Heitinga could be a nice understudy to Gazza, and he can play in the middle too.

MrMarcello

Gazza said:
Its a fair idea but is it really worth breaking up the effective Ferdinand-Silvestre axis?
Well, Rio broke it up this season...anyway...if it makes United a better club, then yes. There are only a few players that could do this. Most are unavailable though (Nesta, Campbell, Samuel, Ayala).

However, a player like Cannavaro (aerial ability alone) would make the back four better, despite his age.

Mexes has the total package and in 2-3 years, he might be up there with Nesta.

Gumpy

Gazza said:
Grumpy: Its a fair idea but is it really worth breaking up the effective Ferdinand-Silvestre axis?
maybe not.

I understand there are reasons why it may not be the best idea but if we concluded there are no left backs we want or can get then maybe Silvestre is the answer LB provided we can get who we want at RB. IT is similar to the winger issue. Plenty of people are saying we have our future LW in Ronaldo so we should sign a RW. Good option if there are quality RWs out there that we can get.

I am not sold on the idea but it is just another option to consider.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Gumpy said:
I am not convinced he has what it takes but there is also Gareth Barry (sorry you posted just before I did).

I know CM is a different world but there is a guy at Nantes called Sylvain Armand who can play at both fullback positions. Does anyone know if he is any good.

There is also a guy called Anthony Reveillere (I think I have that right) at Rennes.

Seriously if we are looking for a LB why not sign Mexes and shift Silvestre. Or another option is Trabelsi - let me explain:

Gary, Rio, Micky, LB has been a steady performer early in the season. Why not shift Gary, Rio and Micky 1 step to the left and add Trabelsi on the right. The 3 defenders are still in the same relative positions. I know I am talking crap but maybe the creativity needs to be in the thinking not on the park :eek:
REveillere is at Lyon

Another name thrown into the hat, Aurelio?

Gumpy

Melvinyeo said:
REveillere is at Lyon

Another name thrown into the hat, Aurelio?
I had him in one of my CM games.

Actually CM is not that bad a way to scout players. Where do you think Chelsea do their scouting ? :lol:

Gumpy

MrMarcello said:
This forum...honestly, I do.
I thought about posting on here that we should keep quiet about mentioning potential new targets on here in case Chelsea are watching.

I thought I was being a little paranoid.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Definately Kapo, he is a free agent next season

devilish

Melvinyeo said:
He's going to Juve
according to France football but there is nothing confirmed

He would be a great buy. A promising forward on free.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Gazza said:
Reid is a RW who is midtable quality. Samuel is good but no way better than O'Shea. Metzelder is quality but not necessary.

Forget our bad luck and naiveness this season - Howard-GNeville-Ferdinand-Silvestre-O'Shea will be a great defence for years to come, and all we need is, as I said, a versatille, no frills full back similar to Denis Irwin.
Reid is too good to be at Blackburn. Can play right wing, left wing, right back and left back. Impressed at the World Cup for Ireland. He would be a good addition to any squad coz he is a damend good crosser and witty dribbler. Plus he is decent defensively like Fortune. Samuel is one of the best left backs in the prem IMO. O'shea's only advantage over him is he is two footed. Im my opinoin O'shea will eventually replce Gazza on the Right. so Samuel wouldn't be such a bad buy. As for Metzelder we need him. Good in the air and can play left back. We are damend losuy in the air. But I think Fergie is determined to land Mexes who is perfect too. Thus says the chief :cool:

devilish

Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber said:
Reid is too good to be at Blackburn. Can play right wing, left wing, right back and left back. Impressed at the World Cup for Ireland. He would be a good addition to any squad coz he is a damend good crosser and witty dribbler. Plus he is decent defensively like Fortune. Samuel is one of the best left backs in the prem IMO. O'shea's only advantage over him is he is two footed. Im my opinoin O'shea will eventually replce Gazza on the Right. so Samuel wouldn't be such a bad buy. As for Metzelder we need him. Good in the air and can play left back. We are damend losuy in the air. But I think Fergie is determined to land Mexes who is perfect too. Thus says the chief :cool:
Oshea is good but definately not as good as Mexes, Samuel and Metzender. Those are world class articles!

Murt

devilish said:
Oshea is good but definately not as good as Mexes, Samuel and Metzender. Those are world class articles!
What about Mcmanaman, West & Sinclair, would they be good bargain buys?

devilish

Murt said:
What about Mcmanaman, West & Sinclair, would they be good bargain buys?
werent two of these players in that team who trashed us 4 - 1? Quite a great performance from these two players (who were my third and forth option behind players like Duff, Zambrotta and Zenden) which I considered as cheap bargains only to be brought as cover. What do you think?

Stick to the piss Murt, Football is just not for you

devilish

Murt said:
So thats a yes then? :houllier:
Stick to the hotel portering, football is obviously not for.
Wanker.
Murt werent Sinclair & Macca part of that team which have trashed us during our last game?

Wouldnt you consider these players good enough to be third or forth option for cheap backup cover?

Come on Murt, think. I still have faith that you can do that

Murt

devilish said:
Murt werent Sinclair & Macca part of that team which have trashed us during our last game?
Wouldnt you consider these players good enough to be third or forth option for cheap backup cover?
Come on Murt, think. I still have faith that you can do that
Trevor Sinclair & Steve Mcmanaman for Man utd.
Stick to the carrying bags for hotel guests :houllier:

devilish

Murt said:
Trevor Sinclair & Steve Mcmanaman for Man utd.
Stick to the carrying bags for hotel guests :houllier:
If in the European version of Afghanistan and Somalia a duty manager's job is to carry bags its not the same thing regarding civilized nations.

BTW have you ever bombed somewhere?

Murt

devilish said:
If in the European version of Afghanistan and Somalia a duty manager's job is to carry bags its not the same thing regarding civilized nations.
BTW have you ever bombed somewhere?
You tell me, your the one living there. :houllier:
I bombed Malta once, we were testing out a few old shells and we wanted to bomb somewhere insignificant that no onw would miss or even notice us doing it, a bit like Germany did in ww2.+
Stick to the topic btw, otherwise youll get banned.

devilish

Murt said:
You tell me, your the one living there. :houllier:
I bombed Malta once, we were testing out a few old shells and we wanted to bomb somewhere insignificant that no onw would miss or even notice us doing it, a bit like Germany did in ww2.
No you are an Irish man, you will never fly on a plane and throw a bomb while risking to be hit down by the anti air altillery. If you would had told me that you had cowardly placed a bomb and hid somewhere safe I would have believed you because its the Irish ahemm terrorist style, but an Irish, confronting their enemy face to face, ohh comeon.

BTW is your nation still close friends with the Nazis? You were really griefed about Hitler's death right, poor lad. :rolleyes:

Murt

devilish said:
No you are an Irish man, you will never fly on a plane and throw a bomb while risking to be hit down by the anti air altillery. If you would had told me that you had cowardly placed a bomb and hid somewhere safe I would have believed you because its the Irish ahemm terrorist style, but an Irish, confronting their enemy face to face, ohh comeon.
BTW is your nation still close friends with the Nazis? You were really griefed about Hitler's death right, poor lad. :rolleyes:
Listen you Malteeser bastard, your fuchin insane.
A normal person would take a slagging but he wouldnt bring the others kids into it!
From now on you stay well away from me.
Ill take a slagging but seeing as you brought my kids into it in another thread im calling it quits.
So fuch off you insignificant malteeser bastard.
:mad:

devilish

Murt said:
Listen you Malteeser bastard, your fuchin insane.
A normal person would take a slagging but he wouldnt bring the others kids into it!
From no on you stay well away from me.
Ill take a slagging but seeing as you brought my kids into it in another thread im calling it quits.
So fuch off you insignificant malteeser bastard.
:mad:
Get over it Murt. You had insulted my grandfather even when I had told you that he is dead so wtf. You wanted war and finally youve got it. And putting a picture of two monkeys and say "welcome to my family" is what I call dark humour and not an insult.

Murt

devilish said:
Get over it Murt. You had insulted my grandfather even when I had told you that he is dead so wtf. You wanted war and finally youve got it. And putting a picture of two monkeys and say "welcome to my family" is what I call dark humour and not an insult.
I said stay away from me, you insulted my kids and thats too much in my book. :mad:

devilish

Murt said:
I said stay away from me, you insulted my kids and thats too much in my book. :mad:
I never meant to insult your kids and yet I am happy that it hit that nail. Perhaps now you will know what it means to insult my grandfather.

Had I finally get rid out of you? Thats what I call good news

Murt

devilish said:
I never meant to insult your kids and yet I am happy that it hit that nail. Perhaps now you will know what it means to insult my grandfather.
Had I finally get rid out of you? Thats what I call good news
Listen you sick bastard,, did i not say fuchin leave it?
My kids are 3 & 7 yrs old, your a fuchin real big man slagging them off.
Fuchin phsycho :mad:

devilish

Murt said:
Listen you sick bastard,, did i not say fuchin leave it?
My kids are 3 & 7 yrs old, your a fuchin real big man slagging them off.
Fuchin phsycho :mad:
My grandfather is one of the few ppl that I cared in all my life, he fought to save arses like you from Nazism and yet you slagged him off just because you knew that that would have hurt me. I never meant to put that monkey joke at that stage but I am happy that you know now what it means to hurt the ppl that you love.

You had slagged off my grandfather and my future wife calling them all types of names. I hope that you would learn the lesson now.