Baseball Playoffs

kennyj

Good matchups this year. I think that the Yankees, Red Sox, Braves and Giants will advance. But I'll probably root for the Cubs in the NL.

redinsyd

I think that the Yankees record against the twins this year (winning 7 out of 7) and last year (winning 6 out of 6) speaks for itself, although I do have a feeling that the twins will win 1 game so I'd predict the Yankees to go through in 4.

RedSox are much harder to call, but I think that they'll go through in 5 to set up some quality nights out in the pub :cool:

kennyj

The Yanks and Sox meeting for the AL Championship would really be something in the pubs. Talking about pubs, I'm off to Scruffie Duffy's on Eighth Avenue to watch the Yanks.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Shocking loss by the Yanks today...but I expect them to rebound (picked them in 4).

For the money, I'm picking the Red Sox to end the curse this year and win it all. Pedro is going to dominate this postseason. I'd rather the Yanks or Giants win, but I picked Boston in March and I'm sticking to it. Red Sox over A's in 4.

I also picked the Cubs to take out Atlanta (annual choke), in the office pool, in 5 games. Took SF over Florida in 5. Give me the Cubs to make the WS.

DA Bears...

God damnit...I wish the White Sox had made it this year and not fecked up at the end versus Minnesota "we play in a dome" Twinkies. At least they beat the Yanks the first game of the series. Oh well, I have next year, for all that's worth. I think I'll cheer on the Red Sox because I hate the Cubs.

redinsyd

The yankees were pretty poor yesterday, but they'll win tomorrow and go through in 4 as per my prediction.

An AL Final between them and the RedSox is what I have been predicting since halfway through the season.

A WS Final between the Yankees and the Cubs would be excellent too

:drool:

kennyj

Braves finally had a sellout for a playoff game - but it was because 20,000 Cub fans showed up in Atlanta.

Yanks should win, but every once in a while Pettitte has a horrible game. It he pitches well, the Yanks will be OK because they can hit the next two Twin starters.

I don't care who wins in the NL. The Cubs are a little scary because they have some good young pitchers. In the playoffs, the teams with the best pitching usually win.

MrMarcello

Can anyone imagine the extensive media coverage should the Cubs win the championship? It would never end and fans would hear about it from every Chicago fan around. Chicago fans are the worst when it comes to winning- they just love to gloat. Almost every Bears fan talks up the 85 team as if they are still the champions of the NFL. It's nausiating. :annoyed:

That said, the Cubs are the only Chicago team I like.

redinsyd

I see that the RedSox got beat last night 5 to 4 in 12 innings :eek:

What's are the odds on the RedSox and the Cubs both choking?

Big game for the Yankees tonight, live on Fox 5 :cool:

kennyj

redinsyd said:
What's are the odds on the RedSox and the Cubs both choking?
Based on each team's history, I'd say pretty good. :lol: Red Sox haven't won since 1918, and that's the way I like it. I know too many Massholes, and enjoy their suffering with the curse. The Cubs have never won, so I'm a little sympathetic, but I'd only root for them if they play the Red Sox. Otherwise I'll root for the American League.

A couple of years ago somebody did some research and found that the whatever team in the WS has the most ex-Cubs loses almost all the time (or maybe it was all the time).

Yanks should be OK tonight. They faced a lefty that they hadn't seen much of and tend to struggle against young pitchers that they haven't see. Tonight they face a righthander and that should help Giambi and Nick Johnson a lot. And you can expect Jeter to do something big.

Gillespie

Pitying all you northerners doomed to a life of cu
redinsyd said:
The yankees were pretty poor yesterday, but they'll win tomorrow and go through in 4 as per my prediction.

An AL Final between them and the RedSox is what I have been predicting since halfway through the season.

A WS Final between the Yankees and the Cubs would be excellent too

Hope you're right Red.....and as a frequent visitor to Boston and Cape Cod,it would be great for the RedSox to win.....and who knows??.....finally beat the curse of the bambino !!

(though,after last night's defeat,they need to pull those RedSox up !!)

redinsyd

Gillespie said:
Hope you're right Red.....and as a frequent visitor to Boston and Cape Cod,it would be great for the RedSox to win.....and who knows??.....finally beat the curse of the bambino !!

(though,after last night's defeat,they need to pull those RedSox up !!)
Last night was a really close game for the RedSux, if they lose this afternoon they are going to find it difficult to go through

A final between the Sox & Cubs would be an interesting one - no pretzels to be served at those games between baseball's 2 biggest chokers ;)

kennyj

redinsyd said:
the RedSux
the Sox & Cubs . . . baseball's 2 biggest chokers ;)
Good job. I'm impressed with how quickly you've picked up the game. :D

MrMarcello

Red Sox are fecked now...I sure hope the Braves fall again...especially living in this state...should rename the Atlanta Braves to Annual Chokers...

Gillespie

redinsyd said:
Last night was a really close game for the RedSux, if they lose this afternoon they are going to find it difficult to go through

A final between the Sox & Cubs would be an interesting one - no pretzels to be served at those games between baseball's 2 biggest chokers ;)
Never say die......we may be 0-2 down and things not looking good,but at least there are now 2 games at Fenway,where the Sox tend to do better.I'm thinking 2-2 going into the final game!!

redinsyd

Gillespie said:
Never say die......we may be 0-2 down and things not looking good,but at least there are now 2 games at Fenway,where the Sox tend to do better.I'm thinking 2-2 going into the final game!!
Nah, I'd say the Sux are 2-0 down and on the way out!

Did you see that the Yankees got it back to 1-1 last night with Pettitte having a great game? Roll on Saturday, the dippers to take some points off you lot, then United go top, followed by the Yankees winning in Minnesota

:p

Gillespie

redinsyd said:
Nah, I'd say the Sux are 2-0 down and on the way out!

Did you see that the Yankees got it back to 1-1 last night with Pettitte having a great game? Roll on Saturday, the dippers to take some points off you lot, then United go top, followed by the Yankees winning in Minnesota

:p
Well,time will tell for the Sox.A tough game on saturday with our squad weakened through injury,but still confident we can get at least a point at Anfield.Hoping robbie Savage kicks the shxt out of RVN for a well deserved away win !! :p

kennyj

Gillespie said:

It could happen and, if it does, you'll have Pedro going in Game 5.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Red Sox were done when Pedro didn't win the first game.Yanks need a split -they'll win it in 5 at home.Not 4.Neither the Twinkies or the yanks will win 2 in a row at Minny.
Watching the SF giants and steroid boy sweating it out against Florida.
Playoff baseball- the 2nd best sport next to our footy.

Kevrockcity

surprised by how well the a's have looked against the red sox. of course, the red sox post season futility is well known, but the a's have been bounced in the opening playoff series a few years running. i guess great pitching when you have great pitching, anything can happen.

it would truly be something if the cubs and red sox played in the series - baseball, i'd imagine, would love the media interest that would insue. can't see it happening, though. not that i'd want to - having grown up in new york, watching the red sox fail has become a great joy of mine (not to mention a yearly habit). i get the impression that bosox fans are nothing without their misery - if their team wins, what will they have to tell people to feel sorry for them for?

nobody remembers the mediocre - just the very good and the very bad. people don't talk about susan lucci now that she finally got a daytime emmy - i'd imagine the same might be true for the red sox. so red sox fans (and to a lesser extent, cubbie fans), for your own good, i hope your team goes down in flames. again.

redinsyd

How lucky were the RedSox on Saturday? That time when the guy stopped running because he thought that he'd been obstructed so they just tagged him! I guess that is the baseball equivalent of not playing to the whistle

:nono:

I watched the RedSox game yesterday afternoon with a mate who is a huge RedSox fan and was amazed when they got those 2 late runs to win it and send the series to a 5th game. It's way too close to call, but the Yankees are waiting in the division finals - if the RedSox could win today then it would really generate a lot of interest which would be great for baseball

Gillespie

redinsyd said:
How lucky were the RedSox on Saturday? That time when the guy stopped running because he thought that he'd been obstructed so they just tagged him! I guess that is the baseball equivalent of not playing to the whistle

:nono:

I watched the RedSox game yesterday afternoon with a mate who is a huge RedSox fan and was amazed when they got those 2 late runs to win it and send the series to a 5th game. It's way too close to call, but the Yankees are waiting in the division finals - if the RedSox could win today then it would really generate a lot of interest which would be great for baseball

yep.....there's no better attraction than Redsox v Yankees !!

kennyj

Sox got a huge break when Hudson got injured during second inning warmups. They are also lucky to be facing an A's team that hasn't been able to finshish any teams off in years. With Pedro going, the Sox now they face Zito, who'll be pitching on 3-days rest. In over 30 starts, playoff pitchers on 3-days rest have won only 4 times. In the postgame interviews, the A's looked like they had already lost.

I think a 7-game BoSox-Yankee series would be a first. Naturally, the best scenario for Yankee fans would be for the Sox to get so close to the Series that they can taste it, and then have them blow the game. So I may have to root for the Sox against the A's, as distasteful as that is.

BTW, Pedro pitching Monday means that he probably won't be able to pitch until Game 3 on Saturday, and Game 7 in Yankee Stadium (if necessary :D ) the following Thursday.

redinsyd

kenny - let's hope that it goes to about 18 innings this evening so whoever wins can't be on a flight to New York until about 4am

:cool:

I think that if Boston go through the small field at Fenway will suit the Yankees who are hitting really well right now

kennyj

redinsyd said:
kenny - let's hope that it goes to about 18 innings this evening so whoever wins can't be on a flight to New York until about 4am
:cool:
I think that if Boston go through the small field at Fenway will suit the Yankees who are hitting really well right now
I'd agree about a tough game for Boston. Use up all those pitchers. :)

Torre may switch the rotation a little to pitch righthanders like Clemens and Mussina in Fenway, which is a toght park for a lefty. So you may see Mussina , then Pettitte, then Clemens, then Wells. Rivera has looked great, but the rest of the Yankee bullpen will have to be sharp against the Sox.

Yankees are hitting good, but Giamb isn't where he should be right now. Hopefully the rest will help him a lot. Everybody else is right on track.

Gillespie

kennyj said:
I'd agree about a tough game for Boston. Use up all those pitchers. :)

Torre may switch the rotation a little to pitch righthanders like Clemens and Mussina in Fenway, which is a toght park for a lefty. So you may see Mussina , then Pettitte, then Clemens, then Wells. Rivera has looked great, but the rest of the Yankee bullpen will have to be sharp against the Sox.

Yankees are hitting good, but Giamb isn't where he should be right now. Hopefully the rest will help him a lot. Everybody else is right on track.

GO REDSOX !!!!!!!!!