baseball??

kennyj

Dans said:
Wouldn't you think the same if someone went off on one about baseball and called them all pyjama wearing ponces?
Somebody would have to be mentally deranged to do that. ;)

DA Bears...

Dans said:
I know what baseball is all about, I follow the game. I have a healthy respect for baseball, except for their wearing of big gloves to catch soft balls. You on the other hand have no idea what you're talking about and have got the wrong end of the stick and made yourself out to be one very confused poster, as you tend to do when talking football I have noticed.

Um, I wouldn't want to catch a "soft" ball hit hard (especially on a line drive), cuz that would really fecking hurt. Have you ever held a baseball, Dans? They aren't exactly soft like a pillow. Depending on the release of the ball, a 90+mph fastball can be pretty scary, especially if it is at eye-level. The gloves are there for a defensive advantage, and have been around for over a century in the sport. I don't think it is unfair to wear them.

I will give you this though: baseball was originally derived from cricket, so we do owe at least some respect to it, even though it may seem boring to those who didn't grow up with it. There must have been some reason that Americans were bored with cricket, and then decided to make an even better game, combined with the game of Rounders to become America's favorite pasttime!

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cricket balls are harder and are frequently hit harder to fielders who are far nearer the bat in the first place than any baseball fielder. I'm not dissing baseball here btw, merely pointing out that cricket isn't as soft as some of you appear to think it is.