baseball??

DA Bears...

reddiebeach11 said:
im not pickin on the sport but what is interesting about baseball??? :confused: :eek:

It is an American thing mostly, so if you don't get it, no one should try to make you get it. I don't understand rugby myself, but I still enjoy watching it, though I think with baseball it's a bit more complicated to understand unless you talk to people who know it or immerse yourself in it. As stated by Ken Burns and others, baseball represents the US in many ways, learning its history explains a lot about the American experience.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The thing about baseball in America is everyone knows all the numbers.In other words most Americans know all the baseball records.All time leader in hits:Rose.Home runs:hank A.Hitting Streak -Joe D -56 games.
It is truly Americas historical sport.There is still nothing like late playoff baseball in the United States.Lots of strategy,lots of tension.

AhmedDimwitson

The Expert
Yeah, this is a terrible, terrible sport. fecking fat guys running around and then they call it a sport. Have to sport channels here, Fox and ESPN and then only thing they are fecking showing is Baseball and the yank version of football. How about showing real sports like Hockey?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
AhmedDimwitson said:
Yeah, this is a terrible, terrible sport. fecking fat guys running around and then they call it a sport. Have to sport channels here, Fox and ESPN and then only thing they are fecking showing is Baseball and the yank version of football. How about showing real sports like Hockey?
Please tell me you don't call cricket a sport if you don't call baseball a sport?

26 may 1999

Striker
MrMarcello said:
Please tell me you don't call cricket a sport if you don't call baseball a sport?
At least fat cricketers can wear a smart pair of slacks and a natty sweater...

Some of those rounders players look like me Dad in his pyjamas.

Baseball is yer poor mans cricket.

JcUSANY

26 may 1999 said:
At least fat cricketers can wear a smart pair of slacks and a natty sweater...

Some of those rounders players look like me Dad in his pyjamas.

Baseball is yer poor mans cricket.

do they throw that ball 100mph in cricket?

MrMarcello

JcUSANY said:
Maybe after the thrower gets that 20 yard run before tossing the ball... :lol:

Cricket is the most ridiculous sport in the world...how can a game where players wear knickers, polo shirts or cardigans, and little girl caps be called a sport? Just like golf and bowling...cricket is not a sport...I also find it amusing all the gear the batter/hitter wears and that big ass board they swing... :lol:

reddiebeach11

DA Bears... said:
It is an American thing mostly, so if you don't get it, no one should try to make you get it. I don't understand rugby myself, but I still enjoy watching it, though I think with baseball it's a bit more complicated to understand unless you talk to people who know it or immerse yourself in it. As stated by Ken Burns and others, baseball represents the US in many ways, learning its history explains a lot about the American experience.
well yea im from america my whole life but i juss cant life it, the onlie time i go is for san diegos fire works show and i can barelie stay awake during the game!not much of a sport person :(

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
JcUSANY said:
you're not allowed to "throw" the ball in cricket. just ask James Kirtley.

besides, Freddy broke 90mph this summer so if you were allowed to throw... :nervous:

DA Bears...

MrMarcello said:

Any sport that lasts a number of days to determine ONE fecking game is too long and boring (i.e. cricket). Like I said before, if you're not American, it's difficult to appreciate and enjoy baseball. I think I read somewhere that baseball is derivative of cricket and the english game of rounders (which is considered for kids, I guess). I am glad to still see baseball around after these many years, and the sport has retained the essence of the game, although I wish I could have been around at the beginning of this century to see the greats play. I still love going to Comiskey Park, for me, it doesn't get better than that.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
DA Bears... said:
Any sport that lasts a number of days to determine ONE fecking game is too long and boring (i.e. cricket).

Like I said before, if you're not American, it's difficult to appreciate and enjoy baseball.
that's hardly fair is it?

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
reddiebeach11 said:
im not pickin on the sport but what is interesting about baseball??? :confused: :eek:
Been there, done that Reddie!

Came to the US I hated this sport, always on telly and so fecking boring!

Then it's playoffs and you can watch the fecking thing every night.

You're just playing a :wenger:

;)

DA Bears...

GiggsysGirl said:
that's hardly fair is it?

It doesn't have to be fair, that's just how it is. For me, baseball is a culture and a way of life, I grew up with it and played Little League and Pony League, and generally loved the White Sox (barring the strike in '94 where I swear they would've gone to the World Series.

DA Bears...

reddiebeach11 said:

For most Americans, the same question could be asked about football (the real kind, obviously). For many years it was so with me, despite playing it most Saturdays as a kid in the summer for about 5 years and getting orange slices at half time. And then I discovered United...and what a glorious discovery that was!

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
DA Bears... said:
It doesn't have to be fair, that's just how it is.
i apologise. i didn't realise that you, as an american, had the right to call our game "too long and boring" but we Brits aren't allowed to have an opinon on baseball because it's not a part of our culture or way of life!

you're totally right...silly me :rolleyes:

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mr Marcello, cricket, a game played with a far harder ball than a baseball, where players do not wear thick padded leather gloves to catch the ball, where the former England captain failed to get out of the way of a 100mph+ delivery from the West Indian Malcolm Marshall and was hit on the nose after which on examining the ball, fragments of his nose bone were found embedded (finally - proper use of that word!) in the leather. I'd quite like to bowl at you, you ignoramus.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
Dans said:
Mr Marcello, cricket, a game played with a far harder ball than a baseball, where players do not wear thick padded leather gloves to catch the ball, where the former England captain failed to get out of the way of a 100mph+ delivery from the West Indian Malcolm Marshall and was hit on the nose after which on examining the ball, fragments of his nose bone were found embedded (finally - proper use of that word!) in the leather. I'd quite like to bowl at you, you ignoramus.
:D ;)

DA Bears...

GiggsysGirl said:
i apologise. i didn't realise that you, as an american, had the right to call our game "too long and boring" but we Brits aren't allowed to have an opinon on baseball because it's not a part of our culture or way of life!

you're totally right...silly me :rolleyes:

Got me there. From what I can tell it seems long and boring, but you're right, my opinion shouldn't matter. If I was exposed to cricket more I might appreciate it, but since I haven't been, I have no valid opinion. Pardon the contradiction. Same applies to those who have no baseball experience, seems rather harsh to judge if you aren't exposed to it. I will withold comments that are inappropriate from now on. :o

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
DA Bears... said:
Got me there. From what I can tell it seems long and boring, but you're right, my opinion shouldn't matter. If I was exposed to cricket more I might appreciate it, but since I haven't been, I have no valid opinion. Pardon the contradiction. Same applies to those who have no baseball experience, seems rather harsh to judge if you aren't exposed to it. I will withold comments that are inappropriate from now on. :o
if i'm honest, i don't have that much of a problem with baseball. i've lived in NY for 3 years now and am aware of how much the Yankees are deified. i don't understand the rules but, being a cricket fan, i can appreciate it a lot more than american football or basketball as, like cricket, it is a lot more "cerebral" shall we say?

plus, what is the difference between a 5 day/4 innings Test between 2 teams and the World Series? it is still essentially 2 teams playing for one title over the course of a week right?

DA Bears...

GiggsysGirl said:
if i'm honest, i don't have that much of a problem with baseball. i've lived in NY for 3 years now and am aware of how much the Yankees are deified. i don't understand the rules but, being a cricket fan, i can appreciate it a lot more than american football or basketball as, like cricket, it is a lot more "cerebral" shall we say?

plus, what is the difference between a 5 day/4 innings Test between 2 teams and the World Series? it is still essentially 2 teams playing for one title over the course of a week right?

Basically, you're right, though I have no idea how those games of cricket are actually played, but in baseball, first team to 4 wins becomes the champion.

MrMarcello

Dans said:
Dans, baseball, a game of quick reaction to a ball hit at 90+ mph, where the "thrower/bowler" (in our game, a pitcher) does not get a running/walking/jogging start, where a former Boston hitter was beaned and subsequently lost his vision from the 90+ mph pitch in the 60s, where in the college and amateur ranks hitters swing aluminum bats (I don't agree with this above the high school/over 18 level), with results of baseballs flying in excess of 100 mph, where players have lost their lives when beaned in the face. I'd like for you step in the box while I come up and in with an 85 mph rising fastball.

Dans

I know what baseball is all about, I follow the game. I have a healthy respect for baseball, except for their wearing of big gloves to catch soft balls. You on the other hand have no idea what you're talking about and have got the wrong end of the stick and made yourself out to be one very confused poster, as you tend to do when talking football I have noticed.

Dans

MrMarcello said:
Oh gosh, you got me Dans. I'm just an ignorant Yank so what could I know about sports. :rolleyes:

WTF? :houllier:

You know feck all about cricket mate as illustrated in your contemptuous and ill informed post above. Why do you think I posted what I did?

Gosh!

Dans

MrMarcello said:
Maybe after the thrower gets that 20 yard run before tossing the ball... :lol:

Cricket is the most ridiculous sport in the world...how can a game where players wear knickers, polo shirts or cardigans, and little girl caps be called a sport? Just like golf and bowling...cricket is not a sport...I also find it amusing all the gear the batter/hitter wears and that big ass board they swing... :lol:

Personally I think this makes you out to be fairly ignorant mate. Wouldn't you think the same if someone went off on one about baseball and called them all pyjama wearing ponces?

MrMarcello

I could care less about cricket. I tried to watch some on FSW and just could't see the point nor the craze about it. If I didn't grow up in America, but perhaps England or India, then I'd probably be nuts about cricket.

MrMarcello

Quite a few posters on here have opinions about American sports and if they say something stupid or misinformed, I don't go rushing judgement on them. It seems to me anyone that is not American can't wait to call an American ignorant or stupid on this forum.

Dans

You don't do yourself any favours though do you? Why play the persecuted yank role? Don't you think that your post is as daft as theirs are. Why join them?

MrMarcello

Dans said:
You don't do yourself any favours though do you? Why play the persecuted yank role? Don't you think that your post is as daft as theirs are. Why join them?
My post was nothing more than an attempt at humor and a windup...something others that like to do with talking about "Yank" sports.

BTW, caught the bait, hey?

Dans

btw, your 85mph rising fastball (fast??? lol), I'd probably hit it out of the ground mate.

MrMarcello

Dans said:
btw, your 85mph rising fastball (fast??? lol), I'd probably hit it out of the ground mate.
Probably..ever since I beaned Mickey Mantle in a 1997 fantasy spring training game, I haven't been the same...I'm actually afraid I might hurts someone. :nervous:

kennyj

If millions of fans enjoy both Cricket and Baseball, they both must be decent sports.