Bastian Schweinsteiger interview

RonaldoVII

Watching the interview progress, it does sound like it wasn't just Jose's decision. Goes back to what a lot of us have been saying for a while in that we've had non-footballing people making footballing decisions. Hopefully that's beginning to change now.

didz

Wish we'd got him 5 years earlier, but that's just a common theme with our signings over the last decade.
He's still only in his thirties. If we ask nicely, we might be able to start a Schweinsteiger-Casemiro midfield to end the season.

El Zoido

He’s clearly got a lot of affection for the club, the fans treated him right even if his management didn’t.

Another in the list of top players we signed that were past their prime when they joined us.

TheRedHearted

He wasn’t fit, we were a team that had years of poor signings, pogba stinking up the place, if we had 3 more Mourinho signings (maguire, a workhorse midfielder to fit pogbas spot, and a winger that could have actually crossed to Lukaku) we would have been dangerous.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Interesting his comments about the influence of Pep's style.

I hope people just get bored of him and he goes away

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair, there has to be more to the story, surely, it's very odd.

Interesting his comments about the influence of Pep's style.

I hope people just get bored of him and he goes away
His style is the worst thing to happen to modern football, I don't care what anyone says, the robotic style is fecking sleep inducing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
To be fair, there has to be more to the story, surely, it's very odd.
The guy spent half his time under van Gaal “injured” and was swanning off to watch his girlfriend play tennis.

The fact that this was a decision backed by those above Mourinho suggests that the guy wasn’t here for anything serious. Never got why our fans were so aghast the treatment he received. He got what he put in here

sugar_kane

The quotes on the Mourinho time feel a bit disingenuous / deliberately vague, maybe that's partly Neville's fault for not asking the right questions.

First of all, Mourinho acted like a dick. What else is new. I don't doubt either that Murtough (wonder if he means Woodward? Seems slightly off from a timeline perspective) didn't give him a reason for being banished, nor that no reason was forthcoming in the months afterwards.

But to pretend like he doesn't have a clue at all what the issue was is being dishonest. Even Mourinho as horrendous as he can be hadn't taken such a drastic step previously, even with players he really fell out with like Shaw & Pogba.

At a guess I expect it was something to do with him being badly out of shape, or constantly jetting off with his missus while out injured instead of being around the squad and properly recuperating.

Mourinho's actions were out of proportion (again, what else is new) but it wasn't like he just picked a player at random to freeze out.

Again pretty weak of Neville just to nod along and not dig into it more, I thought the Overlap was about sometimes asking the challenging questions.

edit: bit more on that alluded to above from the athletic

Bastian Schweinsteiger, meanwhile, irritated his team-mates for quite a while by undergoing treatment for an injury in Germany and only flying in and out of Manchester for matches.

It's from Van Gaal's time, but Jose would have quickly twigged that here was an easy target to get the dressing room onside. He went too far with it, but there was a twisted logic to it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Murtough (wonder if he means Woodward? Seems slightly off from a timeline perspective
I think Murtough makes sense, as he oversaw the youth teams and later the general development of the club (whatever that means). As Schweinsteiger was asked to train with a youth team, Murtough being there to take him to one of "his teams" makes sense for me. Although Murtough in that role being uncomfortable with being the one who has to tell this to Schweinsteiger makes a lot of sense I think.

Mainoonited

Schweinsteiger sounds like he'd make a good manager one day. I wonder if that's something that would interest him?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He wasn’t fit, we were a team that had years of poor signings, pogba stinking up the place, if we had 3 more Mourinho signings (maguire, a workhorse midfielder to fit pogbas spot, and a winger that could have actually crossed to Lukaku) we would have been dangerous.
Dangerous how? For our own fans to watch? Wishing for us to sign Maguire earlier, counting on Lukaku’s aerial ability or willing to bet on Mourinho’s vanishing managerial ability, I’m not sure what’s the worst take out of the three there.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Schweinsteiger sounds like he'd make a good manager one day. I wonder if that's something that would interest him?
Doesn't seem to be the case. At the moment he seems to be happy to be the most boring pundit in German TV (he is not terrible, it's just that he usually just says the obvious and always tries to be nice to everyone, which doesn't make good entertainment).

didz

Surprised to see so many admonishing Mourinho's management of Schweinsteiger - it was one of the handful of things he got absolutely right. He might be a nice enough guy but he took the piss here, and even now stands out as maybe the prime example of what United have allowed big names to get away with over the past decade.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The quotes on the Mourinho time feel a bit disingenuous / deliberately vague, maybe that's partly Neville's fault for not asking the right questions.

First of all, Mourinho acted like a dick. What else is new. I don't doubt either that Murtough (wonder if he means Woodward? Seems slightly off from a timeline perspective) didn't give him a reason for being banished, nor that no reason was forthcoming in the months afterwards.

But to pretend like he doesn't have a clue at all what the issue was is being dishonest. Even Mourinho as horrendous as he can be hadn't taken such a drastic step previously, even with players he really fell out with like Shaw & Pogba.

At a guess I expect it was something to do with him being badly out of shape, or constantly jetting off with his missus while out injured instead of being around the squad and properly recuperating.

Mourinho's actions were out of proportion (again, what else is new) but it wasn't like he just picked a player at random to freeze out.

Again pretty weak of Neville just to nod along and not dig into it more, I thought the Overlap was about sometimes asking the challenging questions.

Bastian Schweinsteiger, meanwhile, irritated his team-mates for quite a while by undergoing treatment for an injury in Germany and only flying in and out of Manchester for matches.

It's from Van Gaal's time, but Jose would have quickly twigged that here was an easy target to get the dressing room onside. He went too far with it, but there was a twisted logic to it.
Schweinsteiger mentioned he had an agreement with Van Gaal over that (someone I read before as well so don't think it's untrue). If that's the case, it's weird to punish Schweinsteiger for something he was doing with the full understanding of the previous manager.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Whoever edits these Overlap episodes really needs to cut out the music. It can be so intrusive and unnecessary at times. It doesn't need it.

bucky

Generally like him, but he either has dementia or a bit selective memory going on. We weren't close to Leicester in January, that was at the end of November. Those 6 months from the summer to January he is talking about, and how good they were, saw us crashing out of a CL group that was even easier than this year's.

Ole'sgunnarwin

He's very likeable
Shows how terribly the club was and has been run, he was treated appallingly
Nice to see his still has affection towards the club
He's a little deluded with how good he was and the team was when he was there.
All the criticism Neville gets and he provides better content about football than all others combined.
Germans usually seem very friendly.
Bastian is a great name.

Herman Toothrot

Amazing that, in your mind, Neville came out of this worse than Mourinho.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I loved the way he manipulated Ribery and Robben to track runners into midfield. Played into wanting adulation from the crowd. That’s great psychology.

RedStarUnited

Did you mute the video when he said he spoke to Jose about it?

tomaldinho1

Completely forgot until he talked about it we were up around the top in Dec under LVG and then had the awful run of games losing to Bmouth, Stoke and Norwich which killed us. Kind of weird there was so much negativity even before then being 3 points of 1st place just because we weren't scoring many. How we'd kill for that now.

BorisManUtd

Generally like him, but he either has dementia or a bit selective memory going on. We weren't close to Leicester in January, that was at the end of November. Those 6 months from the summer to January he is talking about, and how good they were, saw us crashing out of a CL group that was even easier than this year's.
Yeah our season falled apart in December - knocked out of CL at Wolfsburg (Nick Powell coming on) and lost 3 PL games: at Bournemouth, vs Norwich and at Stoke. LvG basically lost his job in that period, just got to stay bit longer.

On Schweinsteiger: man was I excited about him and Schneiderlin coming that summer :lol: it turned out to be weakest PL season in years and we couldn't even get top 4.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Wrong on so many levels, I really hate the way the club has been run.

Club is absolutely rotten, no leadership from the top down, its no wonder we're in the position we are with so many bad apples throughout the hierarchy.

crossy1686

career ending
Wrong on so many levels, I really hate the way the club has been run.

Club is absolutely rotten, no leadership from the top down, its no wonder we're in the position we are with so many bad apples throughout the hierarchy.
What do you mean? Schweinstiger was spending most of his time in Germany receiving treatment for his injuries and following his tennis playing girlfriend around the world to watch her games. He flew in and out of Manchester for the games. If that were any of our players right now you’d happily label them a ‘bad apple’.

sugar_kane

Did you mute the video when he said he spoke to Jose about it?
Haven't watched the whole thing yet but was going off this quote:

"I was training alone for at least three months... I don't know why, but I still was super happy at United, and I loved to wear the jersey."

Stadjer

Pogba wasnt stinking up the place at that time. He only started to do that near the end when he was more injured than fit to play. Pogba was good in his first years. That workhorse midfielder would have played with Pogba, not instead of Pogba.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What do you mean? Schweinstiger was spending most of his time in Germany receiving treatment for his injuries and following his tennis playing girlfriend around the world to watch her games. He flew in and out of Manchester for the games. If that were any of our players right now you’d happily label them a ‘bad apple’.
It’s okay because he was a model professional in his earlier career. It’s similar to the conduct of Cavani in his last season once we signed Ronaldo. People find it hard to reconcile a revered player illustrating unacceptable behaviour at the end of their career.

jem

You make it sound like Mourinho inherited Pogba.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Being banned from the dressing room and made to go in with the youth team, and the manager not even having the courtesy to explain it to him is my issue. And then for Murtough to accept that from Jose and have the conversation with BS and not Jose.