Bayern Munich: 2013 or 2020?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
The game vs Arsenal we were basically hanging on for deal life so much that Robben and Muller spent the last 2 mins at the corner flag trying to waste time
3-1 loss to Bate and craws to Valencia

2020 team
10-3 smashing of Spurs
7-1 destruction of Chelsea
8-2 humiliation of Barcelona

SubZero80

Supports
Bayern
Hard to tell which team is the best. Both had set records in their season. And last season was special because of Corona.

The 2013 team was more balanced, but I'll still go with the 2020 team. Why? Because it was more fun!
For a Bayern fan, the whole last season felt like a movie. A painfully bad start with Niko Kovac, leading to a disastrous 5:1 loss in Frankfurt and up to 9 points behind Dortmund. Kovac was fired, Flick would lead the team until the end of the season.
His first two games he won 4:0 (the first against Dortmund), football was fun again! ... and the next two games he lost 2:1 to Leverkusen and Gladbach. I think many Bayern fans at that point were just waiting for the new season to start, with a new coach (the one from Ajax was in pole position).
Nobody could have imagined that this team would beat every team (except the 0:0 vs Leipzig) until the end of the season! Most of them with ease, even the bigger teams. Ok, the final against PSG was a close one, but still.

Thing is, nobody was really surprised when Bayern won it 2013. After two lost finals in 3 years, it was overdue.
2020? This team was a mess. I remember reading the predictions after the start of the season, and not even Bayern fans were expecting this. Only Lewa said something like "I still believe we can do this!". We laughed at him, but he was right!
Flick has done a tremendous job in forming a mediocre team into a dominating CL winning team - in only a few months!

How Arsenal won that second game nobody knows, they had 2 shots and scored 2 goals.
I remember Schweinsteiger not playing (because of yellow cards I think?) and he was a big loss back then. In my opinion he was in his prime in 2013 and 2014, winnig the CL and the WC as the leader of both teams. Yes, I know Lahm was the captain, but I think everyone knows who the true leader was back then.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
The game vs Arsenal we were basically hanging on for deal life so much that Robben and Muller spent the last 2 mins at the corner flag trying to waste time

2020 team
10-3 smashing of Spurs
Bayern should have won that Arsenal game by 7-1 under normal circumstances. It was a complete miracle how Arsenal were suddenly 2-0 ahead.

The BATE was early in the season far before they turned into a machine, probably still shocked by the disappointments over the summer/previous season, and I believe Muller also had an early red card that game.

Anyways in second season half they were had that invincible feel to them, which they didn't have in 2020. They won every home and away game vs Juventus en Barcelona convincingly, creating lots and giving no space at the back. Today they create lots but the defensive strategy seems to be to let Neuer save them.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern should have won that Arsenal game by 7-1 under normal circumstances. It was a complete miracle how Arsenal were suddenly 2-0 ahead.

The BATE was early in the season far before they turned into a machine, probably still shocked by the disappointments over the summer/previous season, and I believe Muller also had an early red card that game.

Anyways in second season half they were had that invincible feel to them, which they didn't have in 2020. They won every home and away game vs Juventus en Barcelona convincingly, creating lots and giving no space at the back. Today they create lots but the defensive strategy seems to be to let Neuer save them.
Just like we could have won Chelsea in 2012 4-0 and we lost Dohoam at home.
Arsenal were about to win and we had to resort to time wasting at home.

I recalled Wenger saying Bayern won't win the CL in March 2013

"I don't know if Bayern are ready to win the title," he told ZDF after the match.

"We have played Barcelona twice in recent years and believe me, they are the best team."

https://www.goal.com/en-my/news/390...not-ready-to-win-champions-league-says-wenger

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Schewi and Martinez are such a perfect combo. They both are similar player, can defend and playmaking. Ole should just go with this type of DMs.

Charlie Foley

"I don't know if Bayern are ready to win the title," he told ZDF after the match.

"We have played Barcelona twice in recent years and believe me, they are the best team."

https://www.goal.com/en-my/news/390...not-ready-to-win-champions-league-says-wenger
Of all the reasons to use to support an argument, whether I would agree with the argument or not, why would you use “well Wenger said this” especially considering you beat the “best team” 4-0 and 3-0 and won the competition he said you wouldn’t win?

“I’m right because Wenger agrees with me and he was proven wrong.”

Also as a point of interest, why combine the score of 2 group games vs Spurs as you did? And why not be consistent and do the same for the BATE results in 2012/13 and write it as 5-4 (1-3 and 4-1)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Lewa
Ribery - Müller (13) - Robben
Schweiny - Kimmich
Davies - Alaba (20) - Boateng (13) - Lahm
Neuer (13)​

It's really harsh to exclude Martinez, Thiago & Gnabry.

MikeMango

The only one from the 2020 Team that is a must have in the 2013 team is Lewandowski.
Kimmich or Schweinsteiger or Martinez is a close call. All three were in absolut top form.

I would prefer the 2020 Müller over the 2013 one. In 2020 he was more like a second Coach on the field and important for the pressing.

Lewa
Ribery - Müller (20) - Robben
Schweinsteiger - Kimmich
Davies - Alaba (20) - Boateng (13) - Lahm
Neuer (13)

All in all, the 2013 team was definitely the better one.

SubZero80

Supports
Bayern
I'd say you could put any Neuer in the team. He maybe older now, but he sure as hell isn't any worse than 2013. Maybe even better (more experience). In my opinion he was the true GOAT of the 2020 final. He had so many crucial saves in that match

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I cannot for my life understand the love for 2020 CB Alaba :lol:
He had loads of forgettable performances there, sometimes was a real liability. 2013 Dante was firmly better.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I cannot for my life understand the love for 2020 CB Alaba :lol:
He had loads of forgettable performances there, sometimes was a real liability. 2013 Dante was firmly better.
Was about to post this as well. The love for CB Alaba in international media and among foreign fanbases is really odd.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Was about to post this as well. The love for CB Alaba in international media and among foreign fanbases is really odd.
Strange how different opinions can be. I think Bayern fans tend to seriously underrate Alaba. I rate him very highly and think Alaba next to peak Boateng is about as good as a CB pairing could be. But I also loved Lahm as a CM and still think it was his best position.
And I would never even consider putting Schweinsteiger ahead of Thiago in any team. Even at his peak, Schweinsteiger wasn’t as good as Thiago was last season.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Strange how different opinions can be. I think Bayern fans tend to seriously underrate Alaba. I rate him very highly and think Alaba next to peak Boateng is about as good as a CB pairing could be.
We went behind 8 times in a row and Alaba/Boateng was the CB pairing for most(? too lazy to look it up right now) of those games. So even if Alaba were a great CB in his own right, which i have not been convinced of, the partnership with Boateng absolutely isn't.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Of all the reasons to use to support an argument, whether I would agree with the argument or not, why would you use “well Wenger said this” especially considering you beat the “best team” 4-0 and 3-0 and won the competition he said you wouldn’t win?

“I’m right because Wenger agrees with me and he was proven wrong.”

Also as a point of interest, why combine the score of 2 group games vs Spurs as you did? And why not be consistent and do the same for the BATE results in 2012/13 and write it as 5-4 (1-3 and 4-1)
Not just Wenger, many analysts did not consider Bayern favourites at all, and were underdogs who strugggled in the CL before the quarters but overperformed, the 2020 team were favoured to smash all their opponents and they lived up to expectation
BATE is a much weaker team and Bayern lost a game to them, Spurs were CL finalists few months earlier and were destroyed by Bayern. Beating BATE 5-4 is less impressive than beating Spurs 10-3

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

2020 team
10-3 smashing of Spurs
Look at those opponents though. Spurs, rubbish. Barcelona, shambles. Chelsea loanees managed by Frank Lampard. At least in 13 you faced a proper Barcelona team.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
We went behind 8 times in a row and Alaba/Boateng was the CB pairing for most(? too lazy to look it up right now) of those games. So even if Alaba were a great CB in his own right, which i have not been convinced of, the partnership with Boateng absolutely isn't.
I don’t judge the team right now. They lack breaks and are too tired for pressing.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Look at those opponents though. Spurs, rubbish. Barcelona, shambles. Chelsea loanees managed by Frank Lampard. At least in 13 you faced a proper Barcelona team.
Their coach had cancer and Messi was playing injured.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

It's not a huge call. Barca we're the team of that generation in terms of league and CL. And then Madrid took over in Europe. Any team would be looked as second best compared to barca of those days. 2020 bayern as well.

Charlie Foley

Not just Wenger, many analysts did not consider Bayern favourites at all, and were underdogs who strugggled in the CL before the quarters but overperformed, the 2020 team were favoured to smash all their opponents and they lived up to expectation
BATE is a much weaker team and Bayern lost a game to them, Spurs were CL finalists few months earlier and were destroyed by Bayern. Beating BATE 5-4 is less impressive than beating Spurs 10-3
Ok but that doesn’t really answer my question as to why you used a different “model” to report each

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They faced a barcelona team running on fumes, with a coach battling cancer and an injured Messi

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I'd say you could put any Neuer in the team. He maybe older now, but he sure as hell isn't any worse than 2013. Maybe even better (more experience). In my opinion he was the true GOAT of the 2020 final. He had so many crucial saves in that match
Pretty crazy, but it's true. I wouldn't know which Neuer to put in my team.

My gut feeling is that his shot stopping has been the best it's ever been after age 30, between Real 2017 and today. (When at full fitness, disregarding injury time & return to form.)

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They faced a barcelona team running on fumes, with a coach battling cancer and an injured Messi
They won the league that season. Messi wasn't fully fit, that's right.

Bayern beat the champions of Spain, Italy and 2nd best team in Germany. That's a terrific run.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They won the league that season. Messi wasn't fully fit, that's right.

Bayern beat the champions of Spain, Italy and 2nd best team in Germany. That's a terrific run.
Sure it was. But it was also not quite as impressive as it sounds on paper. Juventus weren't a great team, barcelona they met at the perfect time and dortmund were missing their best player in the final.

Barcelona were getting played off the park at home by PSG to the point they were forced to throw an unfit Messi in for the last 20 minutes, in desperation(and this being PSG of course the moment a clearly unfit Messi came on they melted like ice in the summer :lol: ). They got hammered by real madrid in the copa del rey and then lost the clasico as well in the league. Their results against real madrid that season read 1W 2D 3L. They lost 2-0 to a pedestrian Milan side, were clearly inferior to PSG in every way but mentally. They were great in the league, but in the cups they struggled a lot, especially against good to great sides

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Sure it was. But it was also not quite as impressive as it sounds on paper. Juventus weren't a great team, barcelona they met at the perfect time and dortmund were missing their best player in the final.
You can only beat what's put in front of you.

RooneyLegend

Lost 3-1 to BATE in the group stages, and almost got kicked out by fecking Arsenal in R16 in 2013. Won every single game in 2020, scoring 43 goals in the process. Nuff said.
That team had a higher win percentage, scored 8 fewer goals but conceded 20 less goals. Had a higher win % and set records in the bundesliga that still stand today. On top of that they simply had better players and were better coached. Only Lewa in this current team would improve that team. That team would give this team a beating. They also played far better opposition in the CL. Best team I've ever seen.