Bayern's dominance in the 70s was weird...

matbezlima

A weird case was Bayern in the 70s. They won the Bundesliga in 72, 73 and 74. UCL in 74, 75 and 76. In 76 they finished third place in Bundesliga and in 75 they finished in tenth place and even fought against relegation! They also were victim of some embarrassing big defeats, like the 4-1 defeat against Borussia Monchengladbach, the team that dominated Bundesliga while Bayern dominated Europe.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Sounds like real life Football Manager, some odd seasons and results by Bayern in the 70’s.

Not to be pedantic but they didn’t win the CL in the 1970’s. They won the European Cup.

My mate likes to tell me Liverpool have won 6 Champions League titles. Nope they won two.

matbezlima

Sounds like real life Football Manager, some odd seasons and results by Bayern in the 70’s.

Not to be pedantic but they didn’t win the CL in the 1970’s. They won the European Cup.

My mate likes to tell me Liverpool have won 6 Champions League titles. Nope they won two.
I don't distinguish between both competitions. European titles from before the UCL era don't have less value

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool

I don't know any Liverpool fan who says that. We tend to say we have six European Cups. And I've rarely, if ever, encountered a Manc on here or in real life who quibbles with that designation.

do.omb

Supports
Bayern Munich
The frequency and contents of the threads you create is weird ...

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
A weird case was Bayern in the 70s. They won the Bundesliga in 72, 73 and 74. UCL in 74, 75 and 76. In 76 they finished third place in Bundesliga and in 75 they finished in tenth place and even fought against relegation! They also were victim of some embarrassing big defeats, like the 4-1 defeat against Borussia Monchengladbach, the team that dominated Bundesliga while Bayern dominated Europe.
One of our resident Bayern fans made a good post about that a while ago.

...we won 4 league titles in the 6 seasons between 68/69 and 73/74 and finished 2nd twice, losing the league to a sensational Gladbach team. Only after the European Cup and World Cup win in '74 and after three league titles in a row (72-74), the team struggled to stay motivated for league games. With Breitner off to Madrid and Hoeneß struggling with his injury, two key players were also gone and the rest just couldn't be arsed anymore outside of big games. Add a few internal fights and Lattek getting fired during the season to it, and you have an ageing team with two all time greats that showed up in European Cup games to get the job done but didn't care about the weekly matches anymore. Don't think there's much more to the story than that.