BBC: Euro 2020 postponed till 2021

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How do we sell Pogba then :wenger: ?
I reckon this is going to guarantee us signing him on a new 5/6 year deal.

1. It makes sense for us to secure the value of a key asset.
2. It makes sense for Pogba to secure future income during uncertain times.
3. It does not make sense for any other club to speculate with huge fees and wages when it's uncertain how much income they will be getting and how many games will be played.

We might even be in a strong position to bargain for a longer term deal (more security for Pogba) for reasonable wages (no competition).

AlwaysRed66

It'll have to be BCD then, no way will fans be at stadiums in May/June at the virus peak.
What are you talking about. If they closed down football when we had a few cases around the country, they are hardly going to play at the virus peak even behind closed doors. Imagine the uproar. Wayne Rooney would probably be ranting his head off that poor abused footballers are been used as guinea pigs again. All the governments fault.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Logical decision. Now time for the leagues to figure out what theyll do.
Try and finish, probably fail because players will still be infected by June, then null and void the old season, with the intention of starting in September, if that's even possible. Then we get rolling delay to restart until Virus is clear, who knows how long it will take.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Seems sensible then. Allow leagues the chance to finish the seasons and if not then we start from scratch when and if possible.

Kostur

海尔的老板
They'll be pushing to wrap it all up until the end of June but no chance in hell of that happening imo.

Charles Miller

I think Eurocopa, Copa America, etc, should not exist anymore, because those competitions are not the apex of football in any form whatsoever. We can see even in the World Cup, that none of those NTs would win the Champions League.

saivet

The right decision, hopefully I can change my flights/accommodation hassle free as I have tickets for a match in Budapest. Provided the government are still advising us not to travel, I'll be able to sort myself out through my travel insurance.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That means the European leagues that are ongoing should be able to finish. So long as the season will be over before the end of June it will be fine. Players will get their mandatory break which could mean that pre-season will be shorter next season but that would be similar to how it would have played out anyways with the Euros and at least everyone will be on parity in that regards.

Downside is we can pretty much guarantee now that Liverpool will get their league win but honestly, even with the forum we're on, I'm fine with it. I've long made my peace with it, they've been the best in the league this season and it will kill any future annyoing arguments.

Rafaeldagold

Could still finish season if they implement play offs in June for relegation/Europe etc & same for Champions league/Europa league

Kostur

海尔的老板
I think Eurocopa, Copa America, etc, should not exist anymore, because those competitions are not the apex of football in any form whatsoever. We can see even in the World Cup, that none of those NTs would win the Champions League.
Well let's get rid of Worldcopa (Cope del mundo?), FAcopa, Carabaocopa, Charitycopa, copa del reycopa, DFBHitlercopa, Puchar Polskicopa, Europa Leaguecopa, Copa d'Baguette and other copas altogether then, shall we?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's true that the CL has stronger teams but they're still bigger competitions. Copa America are only the 9 teams plus the guest teams so it's always between 3-4 teams realistically but these competitions still have the "Champions of _____" reward attached to them which is a big deal to footballers. CL is harder to win but the World Cup makes you a world champion.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Sporting calendars will be fecked for at least a year after this but this is the best call they could have made.

Rafaeldagold

The right decision, hopefully I can change my flights/accommodation hassle free as I have tickets for a match in Budapest. Provided the government are still advising us not to travel, I'll be able to sort myself out through my travel insurance.
I have tickets for a game in Bilbao . If we can travel then and leagues are back on I’ll still go as will be able to probably see some league football in bars at least (again provided we’re back to some sort of normality then)

Guy Incognito

What are you talking about. If they closed down football when we had a few cases around the country, they are hardly going to play at the virus peak even behind closed doors. Imagine the uproar. Wayne Rooney would probably be ranting his head off that poor abused footballers are been used as guinea pigs again. All the governments fault.
We'll see, but sadly money talks. People thought they wouldn't shift the football calendar to accomodate a WC in Qatar. So *if* they can play BCD, they will obviously explore the option.

Strelok

This means the leagues, both domestic and european would be completed in the summer imo.

OleBoiii

Finish the league in the summer then
I don't think this is a good solution. The players wont really have a proper vacation in this mess, but even if they did you'd end up with a season that's essentially 25% longer than usual, followed by the Euros. That will not be good for the players.

Even if we sped things up by playing 2 games a week, we're still looking at a whole month of football. If we do this and combine it with good luck(football already from July), the players would still only get 2 weeks off before the next season.

And then there's the transfer mess...