BBC journalists told not to "virtue signal" in social media crackdown.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Staff working in the BBC’s news division have been told to avoid expressing a view on any policy that is a matter of current political debate, or publicly supporting campaigns “no matter how apparently worthy the cause or how much their message appears to be accepted or uncontroversial”.
I look forward to the now politically unbiased BBC clamping down on any journalists who wear a poppy from now on.

After all, if pride events aren't allowed....

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Pretty standard policy tbh for media, particularly any broadcaster with a public service remit.
I'm sure the use of the term 'virtue signalling' will cause more consternation than the missive itself.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pretty standard policy tbh for media, particularly any broadcaster with a public service remit.
I'm sure the use of the term 'virtue signalling' will cause more consternation than the missive itself.
Is it really standard for for media to be told they can't go to pride events, even in a personal capacity? Seems very extreme.

Deery

Dreary
Bet you the Tories are behind this.

Does this mean there’ll be no more talk of Marcus Rashford on the BBC also? Wouldn’t surprise me.

Last edited:

Jippy

Staff
Is it really standard for for media to be told they can't go to pride events, even in a personal capacity? Seems very extreme.
Only saw the bit about not tweeting about political stuff.
It's linking to a completely rewritten article now. It was a more throwaway story leading on not virtue signalling, but now it's on LGBT marches.
They can't stop you attending them, I'm sure that's bollocks.

EDIT: It's two different articles. Been a long day...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Bet you the Tories are behind this.

Does this mean there’ll be no more talk of Marcus Rashford on the BBC also? Wouldn’t surprise me.
Not sure if you're being ironic or not but yes, it is absolutely the Tories. The new Director-General of the BBC introducing these rule was literally a Councillor for the Tory party.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Only saw the bit about not tweeting about political stuff.
It's linking to a completely rewritten article now. It was a more throwaway story leading on not virtue signalling, but now it's on LGBT marches.
They can't stop you attending them, I'm sure that's bollocks.

EDIT: It's two different articles. Been a long day...
Sorry, that's my fault, I added the second bit as you were posting.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
And the time machine that is the UK continues to go backwards.

It's sad but I guess not that surprising considering how many people still see supporting human rights as a political issue.

Jippy

Staff
Sorry, that's my fault, I added the second bit as you were posting.
It confused me, cos the time the published time on the article hadn't been updated.

Tbh, I think it's a real stretch to say BBC staff won't be able to participate in LGBT marches.
The conflation of the spats within the trans community and the overarching issue of gay rights as a basis of this interpretation is very flimsy at best.
Calling for equality for oppressed groups within society doesn't meet the 'controversial' criteria- it's pro-legality.

“judgment is required as to what issues are ‘controversial’ with regard to marches or demonstrations, though it should be assumed that most marches are contentious to some degree or other”.

Last edited:

Smores

Doesn't really matter if it's a non story or not, that's been put out to set the tone in my opinion.

Deery

Dreary
Not sure if you're being ironic or not but yes, it is absolutely the Tories. The new Director-General of the BBC introducing these rule was literally a Councillor for the Tory party.
It’s just the Tories shutting people up, it’s a shame because so much good had come out of social media recently, guess they see it as some sort of threat to them covering up their incompetence.

Fridge chutney

Ugh. So many cretins in the UK (no offence to those in redcafe).

Are the Tories as damaging to Britain as Trump is to the US? It must be close.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Ugh. So many cretins in the UK (no offence to those in redcafe).

Are the Tories as damaging to Britain as Trump is to the US? It must be close.
Not worth giving these reprobates airtime.

Though having clicked through to her Twitter profile I see that the pub she runs has now been hit with some 1 star reviews.

They never learn...